100 lb. Club - Non-Scale Victories for February

View Full Version : Non-Scale Victories for February

Daners
02-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Hey gang, it's been a while since we've had a NSV (non-scale victory) thread. I was thinking it would be fun to have one each month. This isn't a quick trip, for most of us, it's a journey of many months to several years. For me at least, there are days when the NSVs keep me going. So shout out the great things that are happening to you off the scale!

Daners
02-08-2004, 01:52 AM
I'll start the list :)

It's been quite a week around here...for me anyway.

Yesterday I was shopping at Von Maur for some Cuddl Duds and the sales lady was helping me find them. She asked what size I was looking for and I told her XL. She replies that in this brand that's a 1X, but that it was the size that she was wearing. I bought them, because I knew they were the right size, but I kept looking at her thinking, there's no way she wears the same size as me, not even in long underwear.

Related to the Cuddl Duds is the fact that I am needing to wear long underwear this year. I never have before, was never really cold, in fact I hardly ever wore my coat before this winter. I attibute it to the lack of "insulation", compared to previous winters.

I bought size 18 dress pants at Old Navy today, and several sweaters in XL, not XXL.

Lastly, I needed some pantyhose to wear with the forementioned pants. So I'm in our friendly Walgreens tonight trying to pick some out, and holy buckets, I actually fit into the height/weight chart on the back of a regular pack of hose, not queen size. I never used to fit on any kind of chart like that when I was 5'2"/and 298 or so.

Jenaya
02-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Dana,

That is awesome!!!! Good for you. It isn't all about the numbers on the scale (I had a horrible gain this week) and I appreciate you pointing this out. I am so happy for your successes. You must feel great! I don't have one of those non scale victories to share this week but I sure hope to have a lot to share in the future!

Daners
02-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Jenaya--It took a long time for me to realize that the scale isn't what decides how I am feeling about this journey. You may have had some NSVs and not realized it--be on the look out-they happen all the time! You're doing great-these extra things are kind of like morale boosters-we all need them!

jolee95
02-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Dana, how encouraging to find out those NSV's! I cannot wait until I can get out of the queen size pantyhose. I hate wearing it for that reason because it always seems to be like tights, not stretchy like they should be. My biggest problem, though is my stomach and hips/wings. I have a wedding to go to next weekend, wonder how my current hose will fit? Will have to check that out!
I did go out and buy a 2X shirt last night for VAlentine Pics for dh (my 2 girls and myself) I was very excited that it fit! I have to admit, was a bit self conscious about it. I am used to wearing baggy, and told my sis that. (This was a form fitting shirt) She told me that I need to show off what I have...lol This coming from someone that wears long skirts all the time! lol

Monkeybabies
02-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Dana.....
Great minds must think alike, because I was gonna start a thread on NSV today too!!! First off......great NSV for you. Doesn't it feel, wonderful!!!!!!

Well, here ar mine so far....

My wedding band and engagement rings are becoming loose, and turning around and around on my finger.

I have stayed OP for 3 weeks without straying, but more importantly, not wanting to stray.

I finally feel that I am not missing out on something when I don't eat what everyone else is eating. (this is HUGE for me)

I have been posting regularly on here...which is one of the committments I made to myself thsi year on my quest to "start taking care of me"!!!!

Finally, my mind set has shifted!!!!!!!

A great thread, thanks!!!!!

AmyJ
02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Years ago my parents bought me a very pretty claddaugh ring (it's an Irish thing...) which only fit as a pinky ring, barely. I was so embarassed about it that I never said anything and stuck it in the jewelry box. I recently came across it again and it's now fitting just right on my ring finger. It's funny how many things I still just assume will be too small and now fit or are too big!!!! Hooray!

boiaby
02-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Awsome NSV AmyJ, I bet that one felt great!

Beverly

missaprylj
02-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Wow, exciting! I've come to the conclusion that I *really* am starting to look like I only have 1 chin, and THAT is exciting!

Jillegal
02-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Is that why you have the boxing gloves Apryl? So you can take one on the chin?? :p

jkfla
02-10-2004, 02:49 AM
great job you guys!!!!

i went shopping the other day, found some sweaters on clearance so i coudln't pass them up. and i found the size i *usually* buy... 26/28.. i like to wear big shirts to hide my big boobs. LOL so i get them home and try them on and they are WAY too big!!!! i probably could have gotten an 18/20 if they'd have had that size... if i had been looking anyway.

and i fit into a size 9 underwear today..... they were a little snug but i think by the end of the month if i can manage to stay OP they will fit like they did before i outgrew them.

my 44 DD leisure bras are so big now that i need to sew them up or something because they are causing me to sag to my knees! i'm afraid i'm going to trip over them if i dont do something soon.

keep up the GREAT work everyone!!!!

dowsx4
02-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Shelly it sounds like you are doing great! I wished i knew how to sew so i could take in some of my clothes but i am just not very good with a needle. But you know if i could lift the excess skin and staple it in place i would look a whole lot better........

Monkeybabies
02-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Great NSV...everyone. Apryl, I am still working on my double chin.....but you guve me hope that they can really go away!!!! Yippy...

And the boob thing is such an issue for me:( But, after I decided that I am done with babies, and I loose the weight and keep it off for over a year, my hubby promised that he would pay for a booby lift....LOL Yes....and maybe I can convince him to give me tummy tuck too, but I don't want to push my luck...KWIM??? LOL

Jillegal
02-10-2004, 10:58 AM
When I arrived at work yesterday morning there was a vase of flowers on my desk with a note congratulating me on one year with the firm. I consider this a non-scale victory because I had been at my previous firm for 22 years and had been unhappy for some time, but was afraid to make a change, mostly because I didn't think anyone would hire a middle-aged obese woman who looked on the verge of a heart attack. Then I started my weight-loss journey and, after having lost 80lbs., decided that not only did I look better and feel better, but my confidence level had increased to the point where I could take that scary step back into "interviewland". Frankly I was amazed when I was hired here - talk about a boost to the ego. It's a more prestigious firm, the money's better, the position is more challenging, and the benefits are amazing. So in a way it IS a scale victory, because I needed to feel better about myself both physically and mentally to be able to make such a big change. I've continued to lose weight since I've joined the firm (another 25lbs or so) and am looking forward to eventually sharing goal with my "new" co-workers. :)

rochemist
02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Size 14 Tommy jeans that fit :dance:

Miss Chris

Sandi
02-11-2004, 06:29 AM
My three favorite desserts in the whole world are brownies, chocolate covered strawberries and Stawberry cheesecake.

Last night at Bunko, she served cream cheese brownies and chocolate covered strawberries. I kindly said no and didn't have any.

This was my biggest temptation yet and I stood up for myself and said no thank you. :D :D :D :D

rochemist
02-11-2004, 06:38 AM
:strong: :bravo: YGG!

Miss Chris

boiaby
02-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Way to go Sandi! I know that had to be hard. I'm so proud of you!!

Beverly

mthrgoos68
02-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Amazing Sandi! I knew this was going to be YOUR year, and look at what you're accomplishing already! You are inspiring!

dowsx4
02-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Way to go!!! You are on your way!!

chequitagirl
02-11-2004, 10:15 AM
had my second monthly measuring last night. i am down a total of 15 inches since last month. if i could keep losing inches like that each month i would never again step on a set of scales.

looosingit
02-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Good idea Daners! Sometimes I get so focused on the numbers....this thread is a good reminder about what the true goal of weight loss is - a healthier, happier lifestyle!

Congrats to everybody on their NSV! Congratulations on passing up the desserts Sandi - not an easy feat when your favourites are being offered. Jillegal - v. inspiring how you have not only changed your weight, you are changing the way you view yourself! That is truly a success story!

Here is mine: I really need new pants...I am pretty much border-line plus-regular size on the bottom (man oh man am I pear shaped!). For some reason I feel much more comfortable continuing to shop in the plus sized clothing store. I still feel a bit like I am trespassing in "regular size" shops. However, last week I tried on several pairs of 14+ pants and they were all too big! Guess I am going to have to step outside of my comfort zone and start looking in the other stores for some pants. Being able to pick from more than 2 stores was one of my original weight loss dreams! There are just so many clothing stores, though!! Anybody have any suggestions of where I should start??? I need somewhere that has a fairly generous cut pant. Anne Klein in the US seem to fit pretty well, but they don't seem to sell them in Ottawa.

Looking forward to starting my new clothing shopping adventures! YIKES...

chequitagirl
02-11-2004, 10:17 AM
sandi i was so busy thinking about myself i forgot to say CONGRATS. saying no to yumming things like that is one of my major problems.

Jenaya
02-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Audrey - congratulations on those inches lost. You are doing fabulous!!!! Sandi, what an accomplishment. It is so hard to have those favorite foods staring us in the face and to be able to resist. You must feel awesome, good job! Kris - new clothes shopping...yahoo! How exciting for you. What an odd feeling to be shopping in a regular clothing section, I am sure it will take a little while to feel comfort but strut your stuff, you have worked hard and deserve it. Have you tried The Bay - I spoke to my sister who has just been through this in-between stage and she suggested it. She says the Bay's pants are awesome. I believe the store brand is Huntington Ridge. They also carry Liz Clairborne and they fit great, maybe there will even be sales still on. Just a thought. Antel's has some size 14/16 but they will we way too big for you! What a great feeling that must be. You have worked hard, congratulations. I am inspired by your success. Happy shopping, enjoy your adventure!

My NSV of the week - whilel I have been annoyed at myself by the numbers on the scale, my physical endurance has greatly improved. As of yesterday, I can to the elliptical for 45 minutes with no problem. I also shovelled my driveway for 2 hours today and didn't even feel out of breath or tired! Fat but fit. I like that.....Have a great day everyone.

chequitagirl
02-11-2004, 01:06 PM
kris i think we were posting at the same time. so congrats on the victory.
jenaya, 45 min. wow!! i am lucky to do 20 min. but that will get better. comgrats on your victory.

looosingit
02-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Audrey - we must have been posting at the same time....Congrats on all those inches! Wow!
Jenaya - the Bay is a great idea! That would be a very non-intimidating shopping experience. There are so few sales associates you can kinda wander around and do your own thing. Plus they have sales every weekend. I'll start experimenting and see what fits! Thanks.
45 minutes on the elliptical is amazing! You must be in some amazing cardio shape! Congrats. Love the shovelling - built in (forced!) exercise!

jolee95
02-11-2004, 02:33 PM
WTG Sandi on resisting those tempting desserts! That is so hard for me to do, I always say that I will "counteract" them by really watching what I eat before and after, but if I could just say no to begin with, I wouldn't have to worry about it! lol
15 inches lost...congratulations! I hate to admit, but I am actually starting to look forward to measuring myself more than I am weighing myself. I was soaping up in the shower the other day and realized that I am starting to get a little (little is better than nothing right??? lol) definition in my upper arms. Talk about a booster :)
Kris, I am sure you are ecstatic about your new shopping opportunities! And you deserve them so much, congrats! sorry, cannot help you about the shops, Iowa is a bit different than Canada....lol
You go Jenaya! Still very jealous of you with that elliptical :oP 45 min is wonderful, and you shoveled without problems...WTG! I am slowly varying my treadmill routine, I now only walk at an incline of 2 and I spend a lot longer time at 3.7 Tried 4, but only lasted one time around...lol Soon though!

Jenaya
02-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi Jodi,

Iowa isn't too far away, you must bring yourself across the border for a little cash therapy at "The Bay" when you get to goal...with the dollar being as it is you will have a car load of goodies for next to nothing!! lol. Saturdays are awesome, always good sales and when you tire of the designer clothes you just move on over into the luxury cosmetics and go to town (sorry, I am a pamper princess as my VISA will surely tell you). As Kris has said, you basically shop on your own (cut backs perhaps?!) which is just an added bonus.

You are doing awesome with those biceps! Think, all that muscle and all that new improved metabolism, right on! Svelte in no time at all.

Kris, as a fellow bulk snow recipient, you will appreciate my new view on shovelling. I have gone from being annoyed and frustrated to rejoicing - I consider it my new form of aerobic activity. Another NSV or perhaps I have had a little too much cold? Something is wrong - or maybe it is right in this new way of life I have chosen. I am now shovelling it over my head because the snow banks are so high. Perhaps I too will develop some bicep definition like my friend Jodi : ) ! Here's hoping (for spring). Take Care.

Sandi
02-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Congrats to everyone on the NSV!! The scale has been a huge frustration to me lately. I don't measure myself. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. I have a hard time realizing that this is a long distance marathon and not a sprint.

I just sent myself an e-mail to measure this weekend. Especially now that I am lifting weights!!!

jolee95
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Jenaya, will have to set a shopping date :) You better come along too, how far away are you anyway?? ;) I would love to be able to shop at my own pace, especially considering with little ones, that RARELY happens. If it isnt the retailer, it is the girls and they are boreddddd. We do have a CATO here, which is very similar to TJ MAXX. They have discounted clothes and the store is divided, plus size on one side and youth, jr on the other. I love that store because they leave you alone too, and the clothes are at awesome prices!
Snow shoveling is the way to go Jenaya, I tell ya. You are going to have better biceps than hubby here pretty soon! Sleeveless dresses here you come! :)
Sandi, I highly recommend that you do some measurements. You would be amazed at how much difference there is. Even if you gain a pound, you more than likely lost some inches. I do measurements everywhere...lol Just to find out. I did not measure my neck, though, and think I should. I measure from under my armpits, all the way to my ankles. And you know what, almost all of those areas had a difference in one month. It is very motivational! I only measure once a month though, so I can get an overall picture.

SuchAPrettyFace
02-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Congrats to everyone on their NSV's. My victory this week is purely scale-related, sorry! But I am proud of all of you. :)

Monkeybabies
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Hip hip...Horay
Hip hip...Horay...

We all rock!!!!!! Let's keep up the FANTASTIC work.....let;s give up dieting and give up the scales....(sounds familiar....Kashi Go Lean commercial!!)

AngiKL
02-12-2004, 06:44 PM
You girls are doing such a good job! don't know how I missed this thread before.

I'm so proud of you!

melsfolly
02-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Congratulations on all the NSV's!! I've had 2 NSV's this week that I'd like to share.

The first one is that in the middle of a conversation one of the managers at my company started starring at my hands and suddenly stopped talking. Of course I immediately looked down at my hand thinking that there must be something awful on my hand - a spider, a large ink spot or heaven forbid some big ole booger. But he said he was starring at my hands because he just noticed that my fingers were getting so skinny! (skinny isn't a word I associate with any part of my body....YET! :D )

The second one happened today at a company luncheon. The manager had golf shirts made up for all the employees at our branch with the company logo and our branch name on it. I've been living in the land of 3X's and 4X's for at least 10 years now so I wasn't all that excited about an XL shirt because I knew it wouldn't fit me yet. But IT FITS! And gosh I look good in it! :cp:

Oh, and I'm afraid that I have a NSF (non scale failure). For years people always said I didn't look as old as I was. I always claimed that it was because I had so much extra fluid and fat in my face that it poofed my skin so that the wrinkles didn't show. Now I've lost enough weight that the poof has gone out of my skin so the wrinkles are starting to show. But I'll take a few wrinkles any day over "finding" the 70 lbs that I've lost so far. :dancer:

Melissa

Sheila53
02-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Let's see. I just found out my 20 year old daughter is eloping on Valentine's Day with a guy I've never met (she met him 3-4 months ago in boot camp). So my NSV is that I'm not going out and buying cookies, chocolate, chips, and anything else I can get my hands on and scarfing it down because I'm so upset. I made a commitment to a 4 point February and I'm stickin' with it!

Jillegal
02-12-2004, 09:21 PM
OMG SHEILA...I feel for you. My daughter (23 at the time) did the same thing (she was covering the Olympic Games at Salt Lake City for a magazine and was sent to interview the subject, not marry him!!) Anyway, keep your hopes up - in my case they've been together 2 years so far and are still gloriously in love, so the same may very well happen in your case. As my daughter often reminds me, I married after dating the guy for 4 years and it didn't work out, so who's to say a whirlwind romance won't end up being the happiest marriage ever. But, I can see how it would make you want to reach for comfort in the way of food - so good luck with your determination to make it a 4 point month. If you do it, then you're my hero! :)

Sheila53
02-20-2004, 08:26 PM
I thought I'd keep this going for February. Everyone has had such great NSVs!

I went to Dairy Queen today (it was planned--I have lots of WW Flexpoints left) and had a medium vanilla cone. I'm a big Blizzard fan, and when I get within a block of a Dairy Queen, my Blizzard compulsion usually overwhelms me so I usually stay away from the place. But today I had the cone AND enjoyed it immensely!

Jenaya
02-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Sheila - good for you. My good news is my clothes are loose! I also got my hair cut with the addition of bangs and I keep getting the "You have lost weight" comment. I started to say "No, just got bangs - but ended up by saying Thank you".

AngiKL
02-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Sheila,
Dan and I had our first date in July of '98 and were married in December that same year. It was crazy and now I know why our friends and family were so worried! Now, everyone "gets it" and we are happy happy happy. So, maybe this will be the case with your daughter? Hope and pray?!

SuchAPrettyFace
02-21-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter, Sheila. But you know what? In the military, they are thrown together morning noon & night, so I think she's got a pretty good idea of what he's *really* like. Good for you not bingeing.

Good for all of you!!!

Sheila53
02-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Gosh, you guys are so great! Thanks for the pep talk. Thankfully, she got engaged, and not married--whew! Although it was not for lack of trying. There was a paperwork mixup. They decided they'd prefer a real wedding so they set the date for June 2005, which I can deal with. You know, Angi, I met my husband the middle of January and we were married in early June. This June will be 23 incredibly wonderful years, so I do know it can work. I rationalize it, though, by saying we were older and we'd both been married before. I'm definitely hoping and praying for my daughter to find the same happiness! :)

Jenaya, excellent work on accepting a compliment! It's kind of tough, isn't it?

Skinny fingers--all right! Melissa, have you ever tried Zia lotions? I started using them, and they are wonderful for the skin. I was worried about the wrinkle thing, too, but so far haven't noticed (or had other people notice--maybe they're just being polite!) any difference. I don't know what will happen when I get the rest of the weight off, but, you're right, wrinkles are better than fat any day! And, wow, congrats on the XL shirt!

My NSV for today was that I had a piece of chocolate--one small truffle. You really can eat only one small piece of chocolate and be just fine.

terrific pig
02-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Great job with the chocolate, Sheila! That is quite a victory. I hope that someday I'll be able to say I ate one small piece of chocolate.....but I'm not holding my breath til then!

My NSV was to load a program called do-it onto my computer. It's a food journal/weight loss program that's easy enough to use but motivating, too. I just have the free trial version - if you pay, there are more bells and whistles. Anyway, I'm giving myself another chance because my 'weight loss' has been non-existent lately - I've actually gained a few pounds due to binge eating. Here's to new beginnings!

Jennelle
02-22-2004, 10:18 AM
I have not eaten a piece of chocolate since December 21, 2003. Not a single bite. Not one M&M or one Valentine chocolate. I have also not eaten a single cookie, piece of pie, piece of cake, donut, scone...anything sweet...since December 21. Not a single bite. Not a taste.

I don't even really think about it anymore. That's my NSV. :)

Monkeybabies
02-27-2004, 02:57 AM
The latest NSV....my clothes are all fitting so much looser...and almost to the point it is even silly for me to keep waring them. All my bras are too big in the cups....and too long around the band/bust. Just another VALID excuse to buy all new undies!!!!!lol

Anyone else have any NSV's for this month as we are closing in at teh end of February?

jolee95
02-27-2004, 03:25 PM
My sister visited on Wed and made the comment that Lee needs to buy me some new clothes. I asked her why and she remarked that my pants were dragging so low, it looked like I loaded in my pants! I guess I never really noticed, but today i should have put a belt on because I was so self conscious at the library music program. My pants are so loose in the back that if I do not have a big enough shirt on to cover it, my backside is showing! Maybe I should get something this weekend :)

Daners
02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
My latest NSV is that I can wear my regular size 16 Nautica jeans that I got on a super sale New Year's Day. They're snug in the waist, but don't ride up the front or back, so I'll wear them ;)

chequitagirl
02-27-2004, 05:16 PM
just on a whim i tried on a size 22 blouse that a friend gave me. i had put it in the closet and figured i would wear it soon, but who knew i could wear it last night. and also i had put a blouse in the closet that i figured i could wear for a while and decided to wear it wed. night out with my hubby, well that is probably the last time i will wear it, because it is really loose. i am so happy. cograts to all you ladies and all of your nsv.

Sheila53
02-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Looser clothes--how exciting! And especially exciting to have had something in the closet and think you can't wear it, but when you try it on, you can. What a great feeling!

My NSV for this week is that I threw away my Lands End Women's clothing catalog. The Women's sizes are too large now so it felt good to throw the catalog in the recycling bin.

Monkeybabies
02-28-2004, 04:11 AM
OMG...seriously...all day my undies kept on slipping down my bum...not because they were too small (something that has happened countless number of times before) Nut because they were actually...tooooooo big )1st time ever!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh....I have one more for February....and please don't think I am an A$$ (no pun intended) for even mentioning it...but we are all plus sized ladies (and gents, I think) but....this is a "huge" one for me.....LOL I can finally wipe my a$$ the correct way...and for those of you who know what I am talking about....isn't this huge????? LOL....exciting....but way to embarr"assing"!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :lol: :lol:

Daners
02-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Sheila--way to go! It's it liberating to get rid of things like that. I love Lands End...their stuff is so well made. I picked up a fleece shirt of theirs from Sears the other day for $7--it was a MEDIUM (10/12) and it fit.

Audrey--ya gotta be careful not to wait too long to try stuff on, or you might find you totally missed out on wearing it because it's too big when you finally do.

Gina--get thee to the undie store of your chosing!!!!! Buying new undies and bras is so much fun! And you "the girls" will be so excited not to be lost in your shirts!

Like I've said before, I try to find an NSV each day. Most days they're not really anything worth reporting, but it's been a good week I guess.

Today I was shopping with a friend (the mother of the 2 little boys I watch) and the boys. I drifted into the Women's World at Dillards when we walked in the door, and she was all, "what are you doing over there, get out here, you don't need to shop in that department anymore". She's right, I guess, but I don't see it. So I went to the misses section and picked out some new workout clothes on super sale.

The other NSV I had today involves dinner. I went for Chinese take-out, but didn't know what I wanted, so I went in to see what looked good (they have pictures of the stuff, I wanted to try something new). I ended up thinking everything looked good, so stayed for the buffet instead. As I was sitting there eating, I realized that I didn't feel insecure like I used to eating alone in public. And I ate a little of each thing that looked good and was done, didn't just keep eating because it was all you can eat.