Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #1  
gina2k

Angry New Member-Type II Diabetic

Hi, my name is Gina. My husband got Sugar Busters at the library for me when my doctor said I was going to have to try to lower my BS by diet instead of increasing my Metformin. I have been following an 1800 cal exchange diet with the concepts used from Sugar Busters. I dont know about weight yet, but I have managed to lower my blood sugar from 240 to 150. I want to follow Sugar Busters totally, but I didnt see a meal plan that tells you how much of what to have per meal. I can only have so many exchanges of each food group per meal. Does anyone have a plan I can follow with Sugar Busters and still "obey" my exchanges?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:38 AM   #2  

Default type II here.....

I am also following sugarbusters. Last summer when I lost 30 lbs my numbers were great. Now I gained back since fall and my numbers are horrible. Was on actos and my weight really jumped(its a common side affect) I had gone to a new doc. Well I'm back to my old doc and back on metformin and increasing the dose because my morning readings are still around 225. I just started doing buster a week ago. This morning down to 195. I'm hopefull, because the meds make me sick. Also being treated for high BP and Cholest.
So I think SB is a good bet. I don't calorie count. I still need to work on portion size. But it took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of it last summer. Hope to hear from you again. DonnaD
Old 02-15-2004, 05:57 PM   #3  
T2 Diabetic since '99

Arrow

I am a T2 diabetic since 1999. I was on oral meds (glucophage, glyburide) until last Nov. when I was converted to insulin. My experience tells me the only way I will ever have blood sugars approaching normal is by following a low carb WOE and practising tight control.

If you have blood sugars in excess of 100 mg/dl on a regular basis you are being damaged. Sugar busters is probably allowing you too many carbs to lower your blood sugar below it's present level with metformin alone. I recommend two books to you. "Dr. Bernstein's Diebetic Solution," and "Protein Power."

Take a look at my control page in the link below. I am getting these numbers thru diet, exercise and insulin. Since going low carb 5 weeks ago I have completely discontinued use of lantus insulin and lowered my doses of Humalog by more than 60%. I have virtually eliminated after meal spikes in blood sugar.

I don't know about Sugar Busters...but it is a myth that sugar alone will spike your blood sugars. Every carbohydrate you eat will be turned into sugar. And carbohydrates are not all created equal. Some will spike faster than others, some are fiberless, others are slow spiking choices with fiber. If you are not on insulin yet you will be sooner or later if you continue to post those kinds of numbers.

You can read Dr. B's book online at this link http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml

Good Luck......And Keep Posting...Diabetes is a fearsome enemy and no one should have to fight it alone.
Closed Thread