Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 03:05 PM   #1  

Question

I have about 10-12 lbs to lose to get to my goal of 125. I have always wanted to have nice arms but mine are a little flabby. Is this realistic? I am in my late 30's and have been thin but never had "muscles". Does anyone know how often/what type of exercises it would take to obtain this or if it's even possible? I think I could live with my "stomach" if I could just have the nice arms! I long to look good in sleeveless!

I am a skeptic and really wonder what it would take. I own a set of 5 lb weights. Someone steer me in the right direction, please!
Old 03-28-2001, 03:26 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Weight training exercises that deal with bi-ceps and tri-ceps. Things like Standing Bar Curls, DUmbell Curls, Tri-cep Presses, Tricep Extensions. If you can pick up a copy of THE COMPLETE BOOK OF FITNESS by the Editors of Fitness Magzine with Karen Andres (from the library or a bookstore). It has some great exercises in it.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:19 PM   #3  
Senior Tortoise

If you like working out with videos, try some from the Firm. They have a wide assortment of workout videos, most of which involve working with weights. Five-pound weights are fine. You'll also tone the rest of your body.

Because I've been a couch potato, I started with the Firm Basics, a set of three beginner videos that incorporate aerobics and weight training/toning. They're not fascinating, but they really bring about results. If you're in better shape, you could move up to one of their intermediate or advanced workouts.

Check out http://www.firmdirect.com/ if you're interested.

--Lauren
Old 03-28-2001, 04:26 PM   #4  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Arms

If you're on the go or if you don't have time to go to a gym for free weights, dumbells are awesome. Since arms muscles are smaller, they tone pretty easily and quickly. You should see results in just a few weeks if you do it every other day.

Dumbells can tone all different parts of the arm with different types of exercises. The key to the best results is FORM, not weight of the weights. If you're just starting, 5-8 pound weights would be fine.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:46 PM   #5  
imaleader

Default Bat Wings Can Be Fixed!

Hi there. Yes, everyone gave you great advice. I am living proof that it can be done. I am 47 years old, lost 55 lbs, had the flabbiest of flabby arms and started working out. It took a few months of ABSOLUTELY PERSISTENT WORK but it was worth it. I STILL do it, but I'm afraid to quit. In any event, I have great looking muscles in my arms and shoulders and now even have the courage to go strapless. YOU CAN DO IT! (My stomach, on the other hand, is another story... too many years of stretched skin. I'm sure I'm a candidate for a tummy tuck, but that will NEVER happen!) Good luck.

Old 03-28-2001, 05:08 PM   #6  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Oprah's "Wings"

Have any of you seen Oprah's arms? She flaps them on the show! Even around when she was leaner, she said that it was impossible for her to get rid of them. They were quite flabby, but then she had a ton of muscle too.
Hmm.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:40 PM   #7  

Oh yes, it certainly can be done!

There are lots of books out there that you could consult for workout ideas. Or hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to get you going in the right direction (that was one expense i will never regret!), or spend a little time browsing around http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html ....

my one tip would be... i see a lot of women doing a zillion reps of a feather-light weight - that doesn't do anything to build muscle. Firstly, you should lift slowly and in a controlled fashion (count to two on the "lift", count to four on the release), not just flap about. Secondly, use good form to get the most out of your exercises while minimizing the risk of injury (here's where a trainer or experienced workout buddy can come in handy). Thirdly, if you can actually complete more than 15-20 reps, the weight is too light. Your 5# dumbells are probably too light for bicep and tricep work.

Deb
195/139
Old 03-28-2001, 10:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I have lost over 50 lbs and was having a serious problem with arm flab until this last month. I blew out my knee skiing and after 2 months on crutches I have some very nice looking biceps and tricips. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as an option, but it can be done. I would gladly have a good knee back for all the underarm flab in the world (ok maybe not all) ---

Now I just have to figure out how to keep my arms in shape. I could never do more than 3 or 4 triceps dips before and now I can whip out 30 or more with no problems.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:44 AM   #9  

On the Elle McPherson workout tape with Karen Voight there is a good workout for the arms. Is anyone familiar with that? I wonder if I did that every day (well, 5 days a week) with 5 lb weights if that might do it? It's about 10 good minutes. Could I do that every day as opposed to every other? Thanks for all the good advice. This is my new goal!
Old 03-29-2001, 01:03 PM   #10  
Senior Tortoise

Five pounds is NOT too light for tricep work if you've been a total couch potato. I can barely do them with my five-pound weights! (Just moved up from three.) We're all different; find out what works for you.

--Lauren
Old 03-29-2001, 01:21 PM   #11  
LM

Lauren, I completely agree! and 3# is all i can manage for deltoids.

I do feel so proud of myself because now I can use 8# for biceps (well, only part way through and then I switch to 5#).

I highly recommend Body Electric by Margaret Richard (bodyelectrictv.com) See if you can find it on your local PBS station. She's terrific.

My arms have improved after a 43# loss, with help from good ol' Margaret, but still a little loose and hang-y. However, I'm not ashamed to bare them if I have to.
Old 03-29-2001, 01:27 PM   #12  

When you work with weights, you need to take a day off between sessions. This is because muscle develops during the rest day, not the work day. When you work a muscle, microscopic tears occur in the tissue, the muscle builds it's self up to fix the tears and builds more tissue. You need to give it the rest time - some people even do programs where they only work one body part, one per day for a seven to 10 day cycle. As far as picking what size weight to use, you need to use a weight where you feel resistance and the last 2 - 3 reps are tough to do, if not impossible. If you go with too light a weight and can get through all your reps easily, why should the muscle develop and grow? It can already to the work. With that said, the weight it takes to do that is different for everyone. And, you may be able to use a heavier weight for some parts of your body than for others. For example, you may have fairly strong biceps and can lift a five pound weight with those, but your triceps are weak and you need to start with a three pound for those. Weight training, just like aerobic training and flexibility, is a very individual thing. On the under the arm stuff, I agree you can build up muscle and firm and shape that area. However, skin condition does have something to do with it too. You may always have a little "flapping" going on, not because you muscle is not firm and not because you haven't gotten rid of as much fat as is healthfully possible, but because the elastic properties of your skin can't completely recouperate (sorry to be a downer but I have that problem). The elastic properties of your skin have to do with your age and your family history. What developing muscle can do is to help fill in the skin where the fat use to be - my muscles are nice and firm (I've gone from 3 pound weights to 15 pound weights over the course of about a year) - but I'm still a-flappin' - not as much as I use to, and I wouldn't give up being stronger for anything - it's a great ego high - but we must be realistic too!
Old 03-29-2001, 01:27 PM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Lauren, Check your PM's

Kel
Old 03-31-2001, 04:11 PM   #14  
Rejoice in the Lord

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that last year I started doing Taebo every day (the basic workout) After a few weeks I noticed my arms starting to have some definition. Unfortunatly I stopped exercising and am once again Ms. Flabby. Oh well, time to start over again. THanks for this post it reminded me of what I need to be doing.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone,

Just dropping in my two cents worth. I too have worked to get strength and definition in my upper arms. I really noticed results with Tae Bo, resistance bands and weights. Weights alone didn't do it for me. Another thing I do is on my Airdyne exercycle. I put my feet up and do several minutes of using just the arms. With this combination, I saw and felt more muscle than all the years with the weights. I had a whole string of exercises I had gotten out of Shape magazine but just wasn't getting the stamina built up to do enough reps to build muscles. Then I added the other methods and have been very pleased with the results.

Good luck!
Closed Thread