Carb Counters - Carbs in Ground Flax Seed?

View Full Version : Carbs in Ground Flax Seed?

Sugardrop
02-05-2004, 10:17 AM
I have a question. For breakfast today, I ate a serving of Gram's Flaxomeal...yummy! I saw that the net carbs were 3. I added two tablespoons of ground flax seed to it and a little heavy cream. Later, I looked in a book that said the flax seed had 3 carbs per tablespoon!!!! Didn't mention fiber so I don't know what the net carbs are for it. Does anyone here?I am wondering now if I have had my whole day's worth of carbs already!!! Gram's package says the total carbs in a serving are 11...fiber 8...If I add 6 more that makes 17!!!! :o Wow!!!

Is it best to count NET carbs or the real amount. I am trying to get five pounds off and am not on induction...also am NOT losing any with this playing around. I mostly started the low carb way of eating because of keeping my blood sugar under control. I feel so very great eating this way and when I slip off to eat regular cereal (All Bran, shredded wheat) and add higher glycemic veggies I really puff up and feel rotten.

I really need to get the five pounds off that the doctor advised but it isn't happening. Any advice? I drink a LOT of plain water but love love love decaf coffee with cream and drink a LOT of that each day as well.

Sugardrop

Leenie
02-05-2004, 08:05 PM
I have no Idea about flaxseed, did you check out Atkins website ? or do a search.
Best thing to count is Carb minus fiber = total effective carb. Hang in there, we all make mistakes, its part of the learning process.

Good luck !!

Khem
02-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Ground Flax Seeds:
Serving size: 2.5 T
cals:60
fat: 2
Carbs: 6
Fiber: 4
pro: 6

Total Effective Carbs in your 2 T is about 2.

Your total cereal plus cream plus extra flax NET carbs I count as being: 3+1+2=6

6 isn't bad.

I make awesome flax seed meal muffins, if you want the recipe :)

Sugardrop
02-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Sounds good....please share.

Khem
02-06-2004, 10:41 AM
I'll add them to the recipes section. :D