South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #1  

Location: along the north shore of Lake Superior in Duluth, MN

Default Hey, I'm new here!

Hi! I'm BethAnn - started the SBD on Monday. Switched over from Atkins - I liked the idea that this is a more balanced WOE and, long term it seems like something I can live with. I tend to be an emotional eater, so I find myself ALWAYS feeling hungry (at least in my head). So, that's my struggle right now. I just ate a wonderful lunch - and my brain is telling me that it wants more!!!!! I would love to hear from anyone who also struggles with this - what do you do?

This group seems like a great one - looking forward to hanging out at the beach with all of you!

Ciao'

BethAnn
Old 02-04-2004, 03:26 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach! Still hungry? Have a big glass of water and wait 20 minutes. Still hungry? Eat something from the allowed list. Check out the FAQ section.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:47 PM   #3  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey BethAnn welcome to the beach!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:24 PM   #4  

Welcome, BethAnn Get a big towel out and enjoy the sunshine from all these beautiful people here.

I am also an emotional eater and a compulsive eater and hoping that this will be the diet for me. I was on Atkins from July thru December and lost 10 pounds at the very beginning and nothing else.

I do not like to prepare meals so I thought that this was going to be quite the challenge. I took the book with me to the grocery store and spent about 2hours getting all the right stuff. First few days were difficult but I'm cruising along just fine.

Again, welcome to the beach club!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, BethAnn!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the Beach. There is a great bunch of beauties here. We are full of fun and information. Pull up a towel and get ready to buy that sexy bathing suit.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:21 AM   #7  

Hi BethAnn,
Welcome! I am a very emotional eater & this diet has worked for me. I still crave the carbs, but my cravings are not as intense as they were pre-SBD. I wish I could say "Oh, I could never eat another cookie," but at least I can usually pass them up.

You will be happy with this board.

Anne
Old 02-05-2004, 08:59 AM   #8  

Hi Beth Ann, welcome. Emotional eating is an interesting one. I think a lot of us eat because there are feelings that we find difficult, and that the carb 'addiction', the whole insulin cycle thing, kind of latches itself on to that and makes it more difficult. This is one of the reasons that losing weight can be hard, because at some level we dont want to deal with the feelings! We may not want our bodies to be the way they have got to be, but equally we dont want to have to deal with the stuff, the emotions, we have been eating on. So we cant shift the weight and then we accuse ourselves of being weak, greedy, or whatever else we grab as a torture implement.

And people that dont use food emotionally sometimes fail to understand and they say 'eat less' 'eat less carbs' 'flick this switch, that switch, what is wrong with you?'. Whatever. Losing weight is an heroic journey and it is not all about food. That is my view. But a big piece is of course about food, hence the eating plan, and this board is a big support of the 'non-food' bit.

So welcome warrior woman!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:46 AM   #9  

Default Emotional Eater Here

Oh do I know what you are talking about! It's an issue that I deal with everytime I get myself "back on the eating right wagon." I know that I am eating the right things in the proper portions, but sometimes it's just doesn't feel like enough.

I've been on the Beach almost a month now and the emotional eating is an issue, it's not the struggle that it has been in the past. I think that's because I'm not putting foods into my system that resemble my trigger foods (for me potatoes, corn, etc.). So I find that since I don't prime the pump, I don't have the need to eat the things I know comfort me.

I also have to say that I have placed my exercise time differently. I work from home and which can get stressful. I have started to do my workout after my work ends. This helps me burn off any stress hormones I may have released during the day and it keeps me out of the kitchen during my danger time which is 4 p.m. until dinner. I think this has also helped curb my emotional eating.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #10  

Welcome

I'm new too and started on Monday. Had a bit of a breakdown yesterday and was going to give up but I got through it without cheating and I seem to be doing fine today. Just make sure you are eating enough of the allowed foods.

Good Luck

Last edited by harleywife; 02-05-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:36 PM   #11  

I am the same way! I will eat and eat and its like I dont get full! What's up with that? I'm thinking thats the whole carb thing going on in my body! And even if I do get full, it can be a half hour later and I can eat all over again! I would be one to be in one of those eating contests in Vegas! I'm new to this thing so you're not alone here!
Closed Thread