PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:34 PM   #1  

Unhappy PCOS, Metformin, BC, Diet, Exercise

I take 1000mg Metformin, OrthoTriCyclen, eating low carb/Atkins style, and use treadmill atleast 30 mins a day.
I have been reading this site for a little while now. I have seen people say OrthoTriCyclen is not right for PCOS, then what is?
I have also seen many say they avoid all sugar. Does this include sugar subs like Splenda?
I take my Metformin with meals, 500 mg twice daily. I am going to up it to 1000mg daily soon. I seem to have no ills effects, but also see no real benefits yet either.
I have been low-carbing since early Jan, started at 172.5, am now at 164.5. I thought with low carb, Met, and exercise the weight would come off faster. Am I being impatient? Do I need to give it more time? Will it go faster once I increase my Metformin?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #2  

You've lost 8 pounds in a month! That's wonderful! It's terrific! And it's just about the maximum that's usually recommended-- two pounds a week or so. It's a real achievement, not a failure at all. In any case, very quick weight loss can be hard on the body, it can leave you feeling extremely tired, run down, dehydrated, and it might wreck havoc on your overall health. For example, and I'm not saying this will happen, but it could: you might start losing your hair, your skin and nails could get dry and flaky, etc. You see where I'm going with this? You must realize that while 8 pounds might not seem like much, it adds up fast over just a few months. Even 6 lbs. x 6 months = 36 pounds, and that would probably make you two or three sizes smaller. It's worth the wait (pun intended). And those months are critical in giving your whole body time to adjust.

In the mean time, try keeping records of your measurements. I know I kept getting smaller over time even when the scale didn't budge. Seeing good news on the tape is very encouraging. Good Luck, you're doing great!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #3  

Thank you very much~ I am NOT giving up! I did my dreadmill this morning as usual. Am eating low carb. I know this will happen... Thank for your words of encouragment. You're right, the slower it comes off, the longer it will STAY off...
Old 02-06-2004, 12:15 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

You are doing a great job! Look at the big picture and not the short term results. You are actually ahead of schedule according to some 'experts'. I'm not sure who endorses it, but I have heard 1 percent of your body weight per week is the max per week you want to lose. In your case, 1.6 to 1.7 pounds per week, so you are very close to target.

You are also lucky because an IR person does have a harder time losing weight than non-IR people, so pat yourself on the back.

From what I understand, triphasal pills are not good for PCOS. I believe that is the pill that has different levels of hormones, in 3 levels. I take Ovcon 35. It is one level all month long, except for the one week of placebo. I would do a google search on TriPhasal and PCOS and print out some info sheets for you to bring to your doctor to see if he/she agrees. I've also heard good things about Yasmin.

Congratulations with your weight loss!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:35 PM   #5  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME Mom2Jes!!!!!

Sounds like you are on the right track! I am also taking 500mgs of Metformin 2x a day. I have definitely noticed a difference, but it didn't happen over night. I started to feel the difference within a week, but I would say it took over 2 months for it to really kick in. I would give it a chance to do it's thing before you increase the Met.

I use Splenda often and haven't had any problems. It tastes good too!

Your weight loss is right on track there!! Congrats!! Sounds like me...I generally have been losing 6-8 pounds a month. In one way I want it to comeo off faster cause I want to get thinner NOW, but in another way I am glad it is going as it should because the slower and healthier I keep it off, the longer it will stay off. Plus it is easier for my body to adjust if I lose it slowly...My skin has time to adjust, stuff like that. I'm terrified of having saggy skin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Jes
I take 1000mg Metformin, OrthoTriCyclen, eating low carb/Atkins style, and use treadmill atleast 30 mins a day.
I have been reading this site for a little while now. I have seen people say OrthoTriCyclen is not right for PCOS, then what is?
I have also seen many say they avoid all sugar. Does this include sugar subs like Splenda?
I take my Metformin with meals, 500 mg twice daily. I am going to up it to 1000mg daily soon. I seem to have no ills effects, but also see no real benefits yet either.
I have been low-carbing since early Jan, started at 172.5, am now at 164.5. I thought with low carb, Met, and exercise the weight would come off faster. Am I being impatient? Do I need to give it more time? Will it go faster once I increase my Metformin?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #6  

Oh, I never thought about the saggy skin aspect!!
I have an GYN appt in March so I will research BC pills and then go in prepared.
I guess I am gettin gfrustrated as my people lose more pounds more qucikly then I am on Atkins. But I know you all are right, the slower the better. So I am plugging away. I asked for a new treadmill for Valentine's Day, I'd rather the long term effects of a treadmill than a heart shaped box of chocolate!! I love this site. I spend so much time reading all your posts! Thanks you guys for all the support.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Well we're glad you're posting!!

I want a gym membership. I told hubby we should join the new LA Fitness going up by us cause...we actually would use it for the Raquetball. I also want to get with a trainer so they can tell me what *I* need to be doing to reach the body goals I want. I am trying on my own but I don't really know if I am doing everything enough, etc. I doubt tennis nor roller skating is going to give me a flat stomach. Kickboxing...I love it! But...it gets boring doing it all by yerself after a while. It would be nice to have some pals to box too/with. Heck I'll just pulverize them playfully.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:32 AM   #8  

Hi everyone,

I was prescribed Diane35 for PCOS verses birth control. There was alot of hype in UK re: this contraceptive and contraindications for it. Just an FYI as you search out different products. In the end, I didn't take them just a personal decision but was encouraged by OBGYN.

Hope this finds everyone well.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:47 PM   #9  

Hey, went to the dr today, illness not related to PCOS, and asked about triphasal bc pills. He says for my case, the triphasal are ok since I do not have alot of the standard PCOS symptoms, excess hair, acne, swelling, etc. So I will stay on these and see where it takes me. I am hoping I can go off them once I get my weight under control. Hubby need to get the BIG V. I just don;t like having to take all these pills everyday.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #10  

Oh yeah, according to the dr scale I am down 13 lbs!!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:50 PM   #11  
WW Moderator

Congrats on the weight loss! Yayyy!

One good thing about the b/c pills is that you will not have as many cysts if you take them. (if cysts are a problem for you) The cyst comes from an egg, and if you don't ovulate, you can't get the cysts. I'm on them right now to shrink the cysts I have. It isn't working very well, but at least it is keeping new cysts from forming. I don't like being on them, either!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #12  
Rattie Lover

Or you can do what I did...and get your ovaries cauterized. No more pillies for me!! Yippee!!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #13  
WW Moderator

Now I know I've asked you this before - what again did that do? Make them able to drain, and therefore not have cysts?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:50 AM   #14  
Rattie Lover

Thumbs down

Yeah. Basically what the DR. did was go in with a lazer-scope thing and he popped many many holes in my ovaries and cauterized (burned the edges) of the holes so they would not close up. This way...when the ovaries release an egg, the egg can exit OUT of the ovary instead of staying in there and getting clogged up and turning cysty. Plus it also enables the hormones and other endocrines the ovaries make to escape and do their proper duties, instead of being trapped in there with a buncha cysts. Ever since I have had this done, I have not had any more acne, I haven't had the fast hair growth, nor the hair falling out in other places, etc. etc...I can tell the difference!! Plus I noticed a balance in my general "depressed/anti depressed" moods. I swear all of those chemicals got together and kicked the depression in the butt. I mean I wasnt a psycho depressed person, but things did get me down more than they do now.

All and all, I am 101% glad I got it done...No Regrets! Plus my Dr. did it when I had my hysterectomy so I took care of 2 problems in one. Hope this explanation helps...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #15  

Mom2Jess

Congratulations on that weight loss, you are doing excellent!!!!!!
Closed Thread