Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Arrow starting my pre-op tests to get myself kick-started

Hi all, I bit the bullet and decided to stop putting the cart in front of the horse. Remember I was going to try to lose weight before getting any of my pre-op tests.

But I have been having a hard time losing. Then my sister told me she got her date and it is June 2nd. When I realized it is such a long waiting period I decided to start the process.

I think I made the right decision because just having a "date" for my first pre-op test has made this whole process so much more "real" to me and has hit home. It was the wake-up call I needed. I presume it will be even more "real" to me when I get the date of the actual surgery.

Just thinking about the operation I am getting back to the straight and narrow with my eating plan. I am such a SLOW LOSER so I will really have to give it 150% this time.

My first step is the Psychiatric Evaluation ( I was lucky and got a cancellation for this Monday (9th)). I also have to get a dietary evaluation.

After that is under my belt I have to get an upper endoscopy (I am not looking forward to that)
I also have to get a Pulmonary Evaluation (PFT) (not sure what that is)
I also have to get an Echocardiogram/Stress Test

I'll keep everyone posted on how these all go along.

Please keep your fingers crossed (and send good thoughts my way) about me losing weight first. I had another kind of operation in 1996 and I had infections etc because of my excess weight and I really don't want to go thru all that again. (I have to get a really huge hernia taken care of as well this time).

I'll keep you posted about my progress and also how my sister is progressing too.

Thanks again to all the kind ladies on these boards! --Pookie
Old 02-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #2  
For my HEALTH...

Question It's me again

I would appreciate any tips on getting off weight as quickily as possible before the surgery.

I know you are not normally supposed to do anything extreme because the weight always come back on. But this is different because I am losing to have an easier surgery, so I think under those circustances it is OK to do a much more strick diet than usual.

I was thinking maybe protein shakes? Any other ideas for quick weight loss?

Thanks --Pookie
Old 02-03-2004, 05:53 PM   #3  

Hey Pookie!

Good for you on getting things started! That's how I did it. I knew that I could back out or stop the process at anytime.

As to a quick weight loss, since you will be low carbing after surgery consider doing atkins. That way the weight will come off and you will become knowledgable as to what low carbing is. You can incorporate the protein shakes in it and find shakes that you might like for after surgery.

Keep posting on how the process is going for you!

peach
Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

ask your doc about optifast or something like that, it seems to have become fairly popular in some wls centers for getting weight off quickly. but darlin.. just how much do you think you need to lose before the surgery? i checked some of your older posts, and you said that flancbaum agreed that losing something before surgery would make it easier for you, especially with the hernia, but was there an actual number???

above all else: don't gain beforehand. but even a 20 pound loss will help.

soooo what are we talking about here????
Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #5  
For my HEALTH...

Thanks to Jiffy and Peach for your replies. You are 2 sisters helping 2 other sisters!

I really don't have an actual number of pounds in mind. I just know that I had a hard time in '96 so I would like to lose as much as possible in whatever time I have. I will maybe see about optifast etc. I have some low-carb Hi-Protein shakes here at home so I think I will start by sticking with them over the next few days and see if I start to lose. I have had some success with these shakes in the past. Maybe now if I really stick with them I will start to lose again.

Jiff, just so you know I think I am going to be going to Dr Gadaleta on Long Island now. My sister is going to his partner Dr. Gellman.

My family dr is associated with the hospital (North Shore) that Dr Gadaleta is associated with. I like the idea of having my family doctor visiting me everyday in the hospital. I think it will also be easier for my friends/relatives to get to the hospital to visit me. I'll let you know what happens.

P.S. I just found a book on Amazon.com about Crash Dieting by Dr Bill Nagler.
I ordered it and I'll let you know if it is any good.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

North shore has a great reputation. and you and your sister should get excellent care there. don't let yourself get debilitated before the surgery, so be sure to do this crash weight loss sensibly [good heavens. what an oxymoron THAT statement was!!!!]. check with your doc. make sure he's on board with this and keeps track of you, it's a long time between now and august, and you want to be healthy for the surgery.

it's a balancing act...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:57 PM   #7  
For my HEALTH...

Default Thanks Jiff and Peach

Thanks Jiff and Peach for your replies and (PM)Private Messages.

You two can keep denying it but I still say you are both angels.

Jiffy= Peach=

Don't try denying it again -- you won't convince me.

My sister and I thank you and your sister.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:54 AM   #8  

Pookie, You started the ball rolling, and that is good. I agree with Jiffy, make sure your doctor okays the crash diet. As Jiff pointed out many crash diets are not good. As the old saying goes, be sure to get your doctors approval before starting any diet. Especially since surgery is involved.
Good Luck on your journey!
I'll keep you in my prayers
Old 02-05-2004, 01:41 AM   #9  
For my HEALTH...

Angry

Thanks Ditzy -- I appreciate your good thoughts and prayers. --Pookie
Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #10  

POOKIE, I just PMed you re. the previous thread, before reading this one. Sending you good thoughts and healing vibes! Good choice, North Shore!
Closed Thread