Carb Counters - Back on Atkins after trying other diets and failing

Mee201
01-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Im Mee,

At 23 years old I weighed 190 pounds....I was up and down from childhood..I did the Atkins diet at 25.. I pretty much left all bread and starches out of my diet and sweets..lost the weight ..went downt to 135...and for 20 years off kept the weight off.....every time I put breads back in my diet Id climb up the weight scale again...I was up to 155 and tried Weight Watchers I went down to 133 pounds..again ..but I did it Atkins Style pretty much..I got most of my points using low protein..well I forgot in time I am really allergic to breads etc..and started eating like I am normal..started eating pasta again..then bread..the bagels..my problem is the more I eat the more I want..and sweets..forget it..I just crave them all when I eat carbs....well I just went back on Atkins out of desperation..I stated on Atkins 1 and half weeks ago at 180 pounds..see I was way up there...and with a thyroid .. (Hypothyroidism-Low) and thought this was my only problem..for the past 2 years I have been on thyroid medication..I thought this is why I couldtn lose weight..well I just couldnt lose and just kept climbing..now in just 1 and half weeks I've lost 8 pounds on Atkins and with out being hungary and feeling great..I had forgotton...I hope I made sence..Everyone has always told me I have such a beautiful face..I want to be thin again..I got so that I didnt want to go out anymore in public..always keeping my coat on..to hide the fat..and hating to have my picture taken...because I just look so diferant with weight on..Atkins is the only kiet that ever worked for me.[/

nutski
01-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi Mee!! Welcome back to Atkins! I'm sure you'll do great again this time. You already have a great loss too. Stick around here for support and a ton of information. I'm pretty new here, but everyone is wonderful so far! I'm sure you have a beautiful face like you've been told, but your also beautiful inside! Don't try and hide yourself, or your fat! Whether you way 50 pounds more or 50 pounds less doesn't change the person that you are inside! Just be yourself and enjoy watching the weight leave. You'll do wonderful! ;)

Mee201
01-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi Mee!! Welcome back to Atkins! I'm sure you'll do great again this time. You already have a great loss too. Stick around here for support and a ton of information. I'm pretty new here, but everyone is wonderful so far! I'm sure you have a beautiful face like you've been told, but your also beautiful inside! Don't try and hide yourself, or your fat! Whether you way 50 pounds more or 50 pounds less doesn't change the person that you are inside! Just be yourself and enjoy watching the weight leave. You'll do wonderful! ;)

Thank you so much for your response...Ill be back for sure..I think support is important..and feed back.

Mee

Leenie
01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Welcome Mee,

Don't kick yourself to hard, the important thing is you found something that works and works well I can see :D Congratulations !!!!

Nice to have you with us........hope you'll chat w/us on the daily thread.

Hugs, Leenie

cathyxxx
01-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Hey Mee201,

My dear friend Leenie, just emailed me and told me to come read your post bec it reminded her so much of me and my struggles. I also have a low thyroid and am taking Armour Thyroid.

I could cry a river of tears and tell you my life story, but basically no matter what I do I CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT! It is so discouarging at times. I watch my calories, watch the bad cards, drink my water, exercise and nothing...no weightloss. I mean I am healthy but overweight. I am 5' 3 1/2" and 202 (or 205) lbs depending what day of the week I get on the scales.

Leenie (and others) have been encouraging me to do Atkins, but when I did it last year, I did not lose anything within the first 2 weeks on induction and it was so hard, that I basically decided to follow a diet closer to Sugarbusters or Southbeach, where I can have wheat bread and wheat pasta, whole grains and fruits, and sweet potatoes.

I'm wondering tho, when you were talking about being allergic to bread...did you ever eat the wheat bread products or was it always the white products? I'm wondering if you found the same problems eating wheat bread? If so, I may really need to go ahead and just cut out the wheat products too and give it a go!

And mostly Mee201, CONGRATS ON THE 8 LB WEIGHT LOSS THE FIRST WEEK!!!!! I would have a blooming heart attack if I lost 8 lbs in 3 months, much less a week!!!! CONGRATS!

take care,
Cathy

cathyxxx
01-27-2004, 12:16 PM
It's me again.... just wanted to clarify exactly what I'm asking Mee201...

About being allergic to bread...will you lose weight after induction, when you add in some wheat bread? or can you not have it at all?

thanks,
Cathy

Tummy Girl
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Mee, welcome to the board. Hope you stay and join us for some encouragement and congratulations on coming back to the way of eating that works for you. Sometimes the hardest things to do are the ones we know we should have done years ago, but no regrets, you're here and wiser :).

As for the bread allergy thing, I don't have an allergy but I now break out if I eat carbs, my body knows I shouldn't eat it :s:. I haven't drank milk in about 6 years and the last time I had it I threw up, sometimes the body forgets what to do with sometime when it hasn't had it in a long time. The small intestine regenerates itself with cells that have never seen a food type and can no longer digest it. But then again I don't drink dog milk so why would I drink cow milk? Ok all done (the milk producers don't send me a christmas card anyway :p )

Good Luck Mee! But with 8 pounds gone I doubt you'll need any :)
Tummy

jdoggmartin
01-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Welcome, Mee! Glad you're back on Atkins! Congrats on the 8 pounds -- that's fantastic! Looking forward to seeing you around.

Take care,
Jina

lady_adnerb
01-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Congrats on the 8 pounds Mee!!! That is a great way to start! Sounds like you know what you're doing and are well on your way :)

This site is great for support and answers!

Sonnet
01-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi and Welcome Mee! You'll love the support and encouragement here! Also, congratulations on your fantastic wieght loss. Other than the thyroid problem (I don't have that), you sound just like me with eating carbs. Bye for now, Barbie.

Mee201
01-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi,

I am so sorry that you have gone through the pain of not losing weight.

For me it is the sugar...and any bread of any kind...I have botton the 9 gain and 12 grain breads and still gotton the gravings,..wehn I eat bread or pasta...it makes me want more bread and pasta..when I cut them out I lose weight...also if I drink any kind of alcoholic beverage I gain weight from that too.

So for me for the past 30 plus years this is the only wazy I can lose wweight..I do eat lost of brocoli etc green vegetables...I have been looking at the South Beach diet..I have to be careful of any koind s of breads though..even if it is wheat...

Hope I have helped you.

Mee

Mee201
01-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I can never and will never be able to handle breads bagels..pasta...They just put me back on some kind of binge..soem times could last months tilll I gain so much weight...then finally get sick and tired of the fat adn dont want to be seen then I will be READY to give them up again..I feel ready nright now after going all the way back up to 180 after being down to 135 for a long time..I went back on bread and bagels and pasta..

Mee201
01-27-2004, 08:01 PM
I can never and will never beable to handle breads bagels..pasta...They just put me back on some kind of binge..soem times could last months tilll I gain so much weight...then finally get sick and tired of the fat adn dont want to be seen then I will be READY to give them up again..I feel ready nright now after going all the way back up to 180 after being down to 135 for a long time..I went back on bread and bagels and pasta..

Mee201
01-27-2004, 08:03 PM
All of you that have written me a message ...thank you so much..for making me feel welcome as I am new to the forum.

cathyxxx
01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for answering my questions Mee201. I was really hoping you weren't allergic to wheat bread, that it was just white bread products, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I may just have to give up every dang bread product. But thanks for talking to me.

Do ya'll have a daily food log here where ya'll are posting what you eat? I would like to see what ya'll are eating, especially if you not having any wheat products, like on induction. I have Atkins books and the ideas there, I just like to see what "real people" are eating on it. Thanks!

take care,
Cathy

Mee201
01-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Hi Cathy,

I am positng my letter to you on this site..hope it helps others..remember this works for me..so I am just sharing what I have to do ..It has been trial and error for me over th past 30 years..and ever time I deviate from this ..I gain..so here goes..

I love to help...

Im sure your familiar with ketosis? Well I have never been able to reach ketosis..even if I was having absolutely o carbs..which is not good to have 0 carbohydrates permanately...I eat non starchy vegetables..meats poultry fish etc.

For now...till I tell you..no onions(they are loaded with carbs)...carbs cause you to crave other carbs..the purpsoe of this diet is to stop the cravings so you can be comfortable and not hungary while you are losing inches ...pant sizes AND LAST IF NOT LEAST POUNDS...

tomatoes..loaded..with carbs ...corn..of any kind it is a starchy vegetable....any kind of starchy vegetables...winter squash or orange squash...peas..these all bad for us..banannas (which no fruit right now any ways...is all starch) people dont know this...poison to us people that are alergic to starchy carbs..no cerials of any kind even whole grain..I dont care how healthy..no breads of any kind..staches or pasta ...wheat germ ..ask if in doubt..email me any time..ok?

Drink 8 to 10 cups of water..and calcuim for you cant have any milk...

Just meat poutry fish beef (I wouldn't eat to much beef...this is for me..I feel too much beef is bad for us)...maybe twice a week at the most...egg beaters ..whole eggs... I eat bacon...which is very bad..but i love it and I eat it..but I limit to 4 slices...I could eat a pound a day..hehe .....if your like me... I would have eaten the whole pound at one time..I try to eat really fatty things moderation..

If you have a question about something you eat ask soomeone before you eat it..

Good carb vegetables..meaning NON STARCHY

.zuchinni ..
summer squash..
salad.
.any kinds of lettuce...
.Romaine lettuce
Mixed greens
Celery
Asparagus
Cucumbers
Green bell peppers
Red bell peppers
Yellow bell pepper
spinach
Boston lettuce
Cucumber
2 medium artichokes
Fennel or endive
Radishes
Avocado
cabbage
Broccoli
Avocado
Radishes
Eggplant
Mushrooms
String Beans
Snow peas
Green cabbage
Spinach
Zucchini
Summer squash
mushrooms
Cauliflower
Green beans
green beans
lemons
limes
Garlic
Fresh rosemary leaves
Dried rosemary
Capers
ginger
Marjoram
Ground red pepper
Fresh flat-leaf parsl

BAD CARBS...

(onions have a lot of carbs..so if you want maybe keep them out of your diet till you are losing inches .....I care more about my pants being looser than the scale...

on atkins you losing inches is more important to losing pounds..you know your losing fat and not water...the scale can mean water loss but the pants being looser and the blouses and arms of the sleeves..that means for SURE FAT LOSS... ..so go by your clothing more ....

Be patient ...dont be in a hurry.. this is a way of life. THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU!! If you follow this exactly as I say.

Theres no carbs in alcohol..but there is KING SUGAR which is poison to me... Do you drink any kind of alcohol? wine or anything else?.. If you do it affects your insilin...insillin is released by the pancrease...Insullin uses up the access sugar in our bodies..(you probally already know this).. what most people dont know is when we eat foods that release alot of insullin ..sugars ..starches(which turn into sugar immediately in the blood stream..even wheats are starches)...and the insillin tells the body to .....STORE FAT!!

so you dont want to have sugar for it casuses the pancreus to release insullin....alcohol is made from practiacally ...ALL sugar..fruits also..pasta cerials...breads turn into sugar the second it hits the blood stream... which release the insullin from the pancreas and tell the body to STORE FAT!!...

even fruit which is still sugar even though it is natural..

.Some day after you losing ...you can add a few strawberrys to your diet and then watch the scale to see if you gain...if you gain..then you know you can't have it..everyones bodies are diferant.

I take vitamins ..(make sure there is no sugar in the vitamins).. to replace the fruit that you cant eat..even if it is natural it is sugar..even sorbatol is still sugar ..use all sugar free every thing...Splenda is the healthiest so far on the market.

when weigh yourself every day it causes anxiety..so dont weight yourself more than once a week...expecially if you have alot of weight to lose..

.1 to 2 pounds a week is the healthiest way to lose weight..you dont want to loose to much more than that.... or it will not be healthy..it is hard on the body to crash diet....and 5 pounds is about a pant size....or they will be much looser....

the first couple of weeks you are supposed to lose more..or should I say the first week mostly..so go SLOW in the weight loss.

.you are still losing inches even thought you are not losing pounds ..even if your not in ketosis..your still loosing....I never reach ketosis...my body just will not do it..

.I am saying all this so you don't get discouraged .....and dont see a BIG weight loss.... thats when people go off their diet and binge.. when they get dicouraged......

never let yourself be hungary..make sure you eat lots of protein..and vegetables..if I get hungary in the middle of the day..I will have a couple slices of deli slice chicken..or anything protein..no nuts yet.. I love wheat bread too but it dosent like me...you wont miss it believe me if you stick to this..

it takes about 2 weeks to stop feeling like your being denied foods that you like..after that...

you will crave only what you give your body...the first week or so...you kind of go through a withdrawal at first..till our body gets used to what your denying it.. after the first week or 2.

If i get a sweet tooth...I have a sugar free popsicle or sugar free jello...I am a junkfood junky too ..I think I said...

I love to help so I am here if you need me.. ok?

reeteir@msn.com

Mee

cathyxxx
01-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Good Morning Mee,

thanks so much for all the info!

Well I don't drink at all, so that part is VERY EASY! Just when I start thinking ok, I can do without the wheat products, then you mention onions. LOL dang I have onions every day. Just last night I grilled a pan of fish loaded with onions and it was so good. I had that with a side of sauteed mushrooms and thought "well I could do this". and then you tell me NO ONIONS! wah!

No sugar is no problem.... No fruit, no milk, no wheat products, no onions, no tomatoes (that's much tougher) .......but ok just protein and no starch veggies.

When YOU are eating like this do you watch the calories too? or do you just pretty much eat if you are hungry?

I have another question about your thyroid....do you ever take your body temperature? is it always low? mine stays around 97.2 and of course I'm always cold. I was given a website the other day that addresses Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome which main sympton is low body temperature. Basically he said that as long as you have low body temperature you will never lose weight and even talked about someone who had weight loss surgery and did not lose weight bec of their low body temp, but once they got her body temp up around normal she started losing. Of course, to find out how to raise your body temp you had to order his book. LOL (which I am thinking about) The only time I am not cold is when I am exercising and of course, I cannot exercise 24 hours a day. I probably need to in order to lose weight, but an hour a day, 5 days a week, is a major feat for me. Just wondering if you know if you also have low body temp most of the time????

Besides the water, which is no problem, do you drink any caff free diet drink at all? just wondering?

Ok I think that's all my questions for the moment.

thanks again,
Cathy

Leenie
01-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi Cathy, yes there is a daily food log here, you can also go on atkin website for idea's. The only wheat product I eat is La Tortilla's, but there are only 3 gm of carbs per piece and its got alot of fiber which is good and essential.

But remember and I'm sorry if I told you this 10000 x before, just cause atkins says you can have cheese its not a pound a day, there are limits, I believe its no more thatn 3 - 4 oz, and he even has guidelines on the amount of protein you should have per meal. Just cause you can have sour cream doesn't mean you can eat the entire container and expect to lose weight.

I can only speak for myself but I really like eating this way, I do crave food but its not a crazy craving feeling I had when I ate to many carbs.

Hope it helps, Leenie

Mee201
01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi Cathy,

I wow...I love onions.just for a month or so let go of the onions...see if you loose any inches..and the other things you are having..theh wheat bread is DEFINATELY a BIGGY ..that alone would stall your weight loss..even though wheat is heathy..for peopel like us with an alergy to carbs..this puts weight on me..like you said I LOVE wheat bread ..thats the problem...how many pieces a day were you eating? honesty now..hahaha..If your me..I would probally once I have ONE sandwich I could probly eat a nice slice every time I am alittle hugary..I would just be thinking about that nutritious bread all day longg..hehehe

I DO have low body tempertures with my thyroid..but this thyroid (low ..Hyprothroidism.) Ive only had for about 2 years..Ive always had low body tempserature..when I dont eat the breads I lose inches dn weight..I wouldnt let any one confuse you with that ...just try this..ok?..YOU CAN DO THIS!! it works .you just never folowed the diet correctly..I hope Ive helped..

IT'S THE FORK!!!! ..do't let anyone tell you diferant..its the type of food I eat and the fork..

I do NOT!!!... count calories ..I eat till I'm full...and i don't worry about it..when I do this I lose....when I haven't done it I gain..it's as simple as that..I take the preassure off and enjoy!! every bite...as long as its not starchy food of any kind...I lose..inches first ..then pounds..

Mee

cathyxxx
01-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey Mee,

I'm not sure I'm allergic to carbs, at least not to good carbs, it's just that I can't lose weight. So maybe I am allergic in that way??? but usually good carbs do not make me hungry - bad carbs definitely make me hungry! I usually have 2 slices of 100% wheat bread a day, which is 120 calories. I usually have them for lunch with slices of turkey, bec that is easy to do for lunch at work. If I don't have them at lunch, then I may have them as toast in the mornings. But besides the wheat bread, I am having other good carbs, like real oatmeal for breakfast, high fiber cereal, yogurt, etc., and then of course, the good carbs in vegetables. But maybe there is something in the good carbs that is keeping me from losing weight. I have no problem keeping my calories anywhere from 1100 to 1400 a day.

I did do induction for 2 weeks last year and lost nothing. It was so hard and then so discouraging, but maybe I need to give it a month or more. I'm still thinking about all of this and taking it in.

Hey Leenie, where do you get your La Tortillas?

Thanks for all the help!

hugs,
Cathy

Mee201
01-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi Cathy,

If your not losing weight and eating what you are eating ..then you ARE alergic to carbs...oatmeal is the good carbs cadagory...but is puts weight on me when I eat it...it is my favorite..and I have tried adding it to my diet because I have heard so many times how it is good for me ...and I end up gaining weight..oatmeal ..wheat bread ..( whaeat bread I think has about 36 carbohydrates PER SLICE)..yogurt..which is also loaded with carbs..even the no sugar added is loaded yogurt...with carbs...This to me is an alergy to carbohydrates.. in that they keep me from losing weight..normal people with normal matabolisms can eat these kinds of things and they stay thin ...and feel good...I say get rid of all of the carbs for 2 weeks ...GOOD AND BAD..
I mean 0 carbohydrates..and see if you lose a pound..

then then next week for that week...add only 5 grams of carbs ...but vegetable type carbs and not starch type carbs and see if you lose that week..if you do..then add 5 more carbs and so on and so forth..

Have you EVER TRIED THIS?

If you like you can email me your answers..

reetier@msn.com

Mee

Hey Mee,

I'm not sure I'm allergic to carbs, at least not to good carbs, it's just that I can't lose weight. So maybe I am allergic in that way??? but usually good carbs do not make me hungry - bad carbs definitely make me hungry! I usually have 2 slices of 100% wheat bread a day, which is 120 calories. I usually have them for lunch with slices of turkey, bec that is easy to do for lunch at work. If I don't have them at lunch, then I may have them as toast in the mornings. But besides the wheat bread, I am having other good carbs, like real oatmeal for breakfast, high fiber cereal, yogurt, etc., and then of course, the good carbs in vegetables. But maybe there is something in the good carbs that is keeping me from losing weight. I have no problem keeping my calories anywhere from 1100 to 1400 a day.

I did do induction for 2 weeks last year and lost nothing. It was so hard and then so discouraging, but maybe I need to give it a month or more. I'm still thinking about all of this and taking it in.

Hey Leenie, where do you get your La Tortillas?

Thanks for all the help!

hugs,
Cathy

Leenie
01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
http://www.latortillafactory.com/

Mee201
01-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks for this..I put it in my favorties.

Mee

http://www.latortillafactory.com/