Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #1  
what goes around...

Default The Sweetness Of Life

So far, the SBD WOE has been very eye-opening to me. I'm sorry to say I haven't kept very good track of the numbers, but in the past three weeks or so, I've dropped 15-20 pounds. Overall, I feel much better. My sleep is better. I'm getting to be earlier. My focus is a bit better (though I'm sure daily meditation is helping that, as well).

I've begun this morning to officially add carbs back into my diet. (As in, "not including the slice of pizza I had last night after my turkey cutlet and broccoli--in-laws are visiting and they ordered it. Who am I to turn down such an opportunity? ) This morning, after my breakfast quiche cup (spinach, sausage, fake egg, two kinds of grated cheese), I'm enjoying some Kellogg's All-Bran and 8 oz. of 2% milk.

I never used to think of All-Bran as a "sweet" cereal; to me, that was Count Chocula or Lucky Charms. But this morning, this tastes almost like bread pudding to me. Six grams of sugars per serving according to the label, and there's sugars in the milk, too.

Anyone else had this experience... when things that you never before considered "sweet"... suddenly are?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:43 AM   #2  

Default almost too sweet

Big Wheelz -
My husband and I are also in the same boat. Although we don't appreciate you bragging about your pizza.

Anyway, yes it is true things do taste very very sweet. We are only doing one carb per day for a bit because it seems to be such a drastic change to start adding so much.

I'm having my half of an apple for a snack and it tastes like cotton candy.

Weird huh?

I guess it's kind of good. Almost like if we keep going that possibly chocolate cake will seem to sweet to eat......at least I can dream.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #3  
what goes around...

Well, I'm not intending to ram plateloads of carbs back into my diet in the first week... but the cereal seemed to be a good place to start. This morning, rather than having two quiche cups, I had one quiche cup, serving All-Bran, 8oz. milk. Washed down with a quart of coffee, as usual.

As to the pizza... I remember what Agatston said about how carbs are absorbed by the body, and the four things in our diet that slow that process down: protein, fat, fiber, and acidity. The "Metamucil Strategy" is one way of doing that, but I've found it equally as helpful to just eat something "good" before you eat the "not-so-good." So last night, I had a turkey cutlet and some broccoli. Then, I took two slices of pizza, scraped the toppings from Slice #1 onto Slice #2, and enjoyed one slice of thin-crust pizza with extra cheese, sauce, etc. Had no urge to down an entire bag of popcorn later during the Golden Globes.

I must admit somewhat shamefully... as my in-laws are visiting the next couple of days, we've used this as an excuse to also eliminate some things from our pantry: Leftover candy & cookies from Christmas, biscuit & pancake mix, etc.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheelz
Anyone else had this experience... when things that you never before considered "sweet"... suddenly are?
Oh, yes! When my DH and I first had the oatmeal, we thought we were in heaven. And for the first time I was eating it WITHOUT spoonfuls and spoonfuls of brown sugar!

Whatever you do, don't go hog-wild, Big Wheelz. I'm completely off the program at the moment, and my craving for sweets is right back to where it was.
Closed Thread