Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Unhappy My heart is very heavy today

I'm not posting this to scare anyone........I just feel that we in the wls community are all so very connected that this was something I needed to share with you.

In the Atlanta area there is a wonderful, wonderful non surgeon specific support group for wls patients. It was started 3 years ago by two very caring women. Beth and Wanda, both had surgery in 2001. Wanda's 23 year old daughter underwent wls in December.

Yesterday Wanda's daughter passed away. We (Hazel and I, and a few other close friends from our support group) were there with the family when she lost her struggle.

Her name is Jennifer. She had a bowel obstruction, that was not caught in a timely manner. Once caught a second surgery was needed. All seemed to be going well, until early last week, she arrested, and was without air for 4 minutes. She sustained brain damage and her heart stopped yesterday.

I ask that you remember this family in your prayers.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh deb... of course.. prayers and everything else. this is such a tragedy. how is wanda coping? how CAN she cope? i can't imagine anything worse than this...
Old 01-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #3  

My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #4  

i will definately remember her and her family in my prayers. i couldn't imagine what they are going through. God can and will provide the peace they need.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Prayers Said.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #6  

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear of this tragic loss. You and your friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #7  

My prayers are with Wanda and her family also. Your support group is also in my prayers. take care of yourself and give your family a hug.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #8  

awwww...... Debkay, that is so sad and I am so sorry.

sending prayers and hugs for you and Hazel.

peach
Old 01-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #9  

Debkay? Maybe this is tactless to ask, but what causes a bowl obstruction?

peach
Old 01-27-2004, 11:25 AM   #10  

Oh Deb,
I'm so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with you, Hazel and the family.

I do think it's important though that you shared this with all of us. With so much recent media attention on WLS, it's easy to forget that it's major surgery with all kinds of complications and risks - which you know better than anyone. I get irritated with all the talk shows I've seen lately that make it seem like a walk in the park.

Take care,
Chickadee
Old 01-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #11  
Hang In There

DebKay, I agree it's importaint for everyone to know all the facts about WLS. You said that the obstructions was not caught in a timely manner. What was her symptoms? What made her think she had a problem, what caused her to go to the doctor. After that what did the additional surgery consist of?

I ask all thes questions, because a bowel obstruction was the diagnosis or reason for Alvin's second surgery that almost killed him. His was 3 & 1/2 months after his initial surgery and he just woke up one morning with extreme pain, bassicaly in his shoulder area. We really thought it was his heart. After 8 hours in the ER when they finally go him to surgery the blockage has caused everything to backup all the way to the site of the reconnection of the intestines to the pouch. Besides removing the blackage, they had to reconnect his Bypass.

After recovering from the second surgery he says that he now knows that he had a problem from day one and didn't realize it was a problem. (I don't want to sound gross here, I just want everyone to be aware) He said after his surgery his BM were very tiny in diamater about the size of a pencil. He said he just thought that must be normal. Small stomach, small BM, but after the 2n'd surgery they were back to "regular" size. I was just wondering if your friend experenced the same thing, and if it's something all WLS should look out for?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #12  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

DEB & HAZEL...
I'm so sorry for your Friend's loss. It's devastating to lose anyone, but a young person with her life ahead of her if tragic! My thoughts and prayers

BOB
Closed Thread