Carb Counters - Anyone hear weigh under 130 lbs? or had an ED?

sammykins
01-22-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm thinking of starting Atkins and I was wondering if anybody here has similar stats to me? I'm 5'7'' and 126. I was wondering if maybe I could have a buddy for support/incouragement? ;) My doctor has advised me to do Atkins to help overcome my Bulimia, and my lifelong addiction to carbs ( I was over 160 pounds from 10-13 yrs old). I am now 18 and have been battling Bulimia for a year and a half. It seems that whenever I eat carbs I get out of control and binge like mad! That's when the Bulimia thoughts come in. For instance today I decided to have a couple m&m's from the dish at work, and ended up eating them all! ( a whole bag! ). However I didn't purge it, because I'm really trying to stop this vicious cycle. So anyways, If you're around my stats or have ever suffered with an Eating Disorder please post, thankyou.

Kim in NJ
01-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Sammy I responded on your other post from yesterday.
I have never suffered from Bulimia - but I too had/have the high sugar/high carb cravings. If I don't touch something - I don't feel the urge to eat the whole thing. I CANNOT be one of those people who just samples a bit. With me it's all or nothing. It took me more than a month to break my sugar/chocolate cravings and it was no picnic...but as long as I stay on program I don't crave them at all.

Leenie
01-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Just be sure to consult your doctor.

Good Luck !!

Lekker
01-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Sammy,

I think on the main forum page there is a group called Eating Disorders. I've never been in there personally, but maybe you'll find some useful information in there?

Good luck! :)

Khem
01-23-2004, 09:35 PM
As I said in my other post, I'm in a similiar boat as you. The only difference is that I am overweight because I stopped purging and continued to binge. I've been as high as 220 and was underweight when I graduated high school due to fasting. I've been to every food recovery group; I've tried every diet. I got here because I went to a 12 step group for food addiction and their food plan had limited carbs. I felt soooo much better, but I kept slipping when I ate whole grains and milk. After reading about atkins, it seems like the solution to let my head clear out a bit. I know I may eventually need to add in some grains, but slipping and cheating snowballs and I just want no cravings for now. Feel free to message me :)

rochemist
01-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi Sammy, Khem, and all the Beautiful Atkins ladies!

I have PMed you both and I too suffer from an ED. I used a simple Atkins type format to get me past the initial first 14 days of detox from sugar. I stayed on it longer just because I was so afraid of the food. I am still sugar and white flour free. I do eat beans, oatmeal, and raisins now about one time a day(some would say big whoop, but the inclusion was a huge step for me! ) I think to start with detox and craving control Atkins is a nice way to go. I know if I eat a palm sized portion of protein and a veggie I am truly full and I don't need to stuff my feelings with anymore food.

Just my two cents,
Miss Chris

Tulip-Fairy
01-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi Sammykins
I'm under 130lbs..haven't got an ED though, but am sometimes treated as if i have a problem...so many people think that i shouldn't be dieting!!!! But if i don't - i put on weight quickly and as i am only 5'2" it can be easily seen!

Well done on not purging after the bag of M 'n' M's
I'd be happy to buddy you, we all benifit from a bit of encouraging buddying!! ;-)