Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions - Sugar

View Full Version : Sugar

lady_adnerb
01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Now I know that the online site (and store) is different than the book I own for Atkins. The online site said you can have "Advantage" bars on induction. So of course being the chocoholic that I am I bought some and managed to make myself eat only 1/2 a bar every once in a while when the craving for chocolate REALLY hit. So....to make this short--last night I was slowly chewing (and actually enjoying) the bar...when for some reason I flipped it over. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the ingredients and it said SUGAR.

Now correct me if I'm wrong--aren't we supposed to avoid EVERYTHING that says "sugar" in one form or another as an ingredient??

Atkins AdvantageTM Bar - Chocolate Peanut Butter

%DV

Total Fat 12 g 18%
Saturated Fat 6 g 30%
Cholesterol 2 mg 0%
Sodium 125 mg 5%
Potassium 260 mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 21 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 10 g 40%
Sugars 1 g %

Looks like that's out for me!!! :(

StarPrincess
01-22-2004, 11:12 AM
There are natural sugars that just can't be avoided. I'm not worried too much about that stuff. But take a look at that label again.

Total Carbohydrate 21 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 10 g 40%
Sugars 1 g %

Just doing the simple math, that's 11 grams of carbs! I know that the front of the bar says a much lower number, but remember that they don't count sugar alcohols even though there's tons of evidence that the stuff causes stalls and is at least partially metabolized by your body. That's why most of us count the sugar alcohols. Just something to think about ;)

lady_adnerb
01-22-2004, 03:24 PM
oh UGH!! I never looked at the back-just took their word for it! Guess that explains the weight stall!!!