Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:20 AM   #1  
Meg

Default LWL #138 -- Week of January 19 - 25

Good morning and happy new week here at LWL! The privilege of being the first one up this freezing cold morning is starting the thread for the week. Today’s the next episode of the great Lunge Challenge — five laps with DBs, then four without — so I’ll be back to report on that once I can walk again.

Two great workouts this weekend: arms on Saturday and shoulders yesterday. Every inch of my upper body is sore so it’s a good thing that it’s Leg Day. Legs for you too, Ilene? Are you working this week? Please don't be impressed by the calories that I supposedly burned on the cross trainer. Like I said, I don’t believe the readouts and you and I were probably on different types/brands of machines, so it’s like comparing apples and oranges. I have no doubt that you could smoke me in the gym big-time!

DH did some pictures for me last night (it’s the anniversary of the lower body lift) and I asked him to do one of my scrawny back and one of me in my old pants, so I’ll try to post those later today.

Let’s hear it for an awesome week in and out of the gym! Check in everyone and tell us what you’re up to this week.

Meg
Old 01-19-2004, 05:49 AM   #2  

Gooood Morning, LWL!

This morning I have a tri-cardio scheduled, and UBWO for this afternoon. I'm going to go out and knock on a few doors of local gyms and "pseudo-gyms" regarding a job. And definitely going to sharpen my food plan, as I've been a little too liberal in the calorie dept., even though it was mucho protein. That's one thing I love about Fitday - you can go back and see what was right and what was wrong.

DIL2b didn't get the class schedule for our gym, so I'll head over there and get one because I really want to do their yoga/pilates class. I'll probably hit the ab machine and leg press while I'm there. Being a sucker for infomercials, I ordered the Winsor Pilates dvd's yesterday, the bonus pack.

Just another day in Paradise! Cold here too, but with what little snow we've had this season, I'm not complaining. Have a good one!

dip
Old 01-19-2004, 06:28 AM   #3  
Peace with body and soul

Cold here too! But better than the ice storm we had Friday night.

Big day here in Iowa, all the Democrats are in the state and the fun begins! Even though I'm an Independent, I'm going to go hang out at some of the local caucuses and see what I can learn.

Exercise today will be housecleaning when I get home. Spend the weekend at my bf's/fiancee, I guess I should call him now, and the house is a sty. Nothing gets me more sore than a good round of dusting, mopping and hauling my outrageously large vacumn cleaner around.

Other than that, its work for me as usual today, even though its Martin Luther King day.

Stay home and eat well everyone!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:51 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Good Morning LWL!

I went to the gym yesterday so I wouldn't have to today because I am working out of town in a small village school... I love this small school although it's a bit out of the way but it's not snowing so the roads will be good.... Legs is on wednesdays lately for me Meg... now that I go in the afternoon I can take my time and "embrace" the pain longer...... I'm really enjoying this new time frame... Can't wait to see the scrawny ( I doub that ) back pics ..
Meals are planned I'm ready to go, just gotta shower... have a great day everyone...

Mornin' Mindi and Dip!!

Later...
Old 01-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #5  

Oops, sorry! I posted this on last weeks thread. Haven't quite got the hang of this yet. Here it is again.

Hi LWL,

Dip - I'm happy to report the halo is not only gleaming but perfectly level as well! (Canadian bacon? Mmmm.. )This is my first perfectly clean day and I can't believe how full I feel.

Elasky - welcome to the home for the gravitationally challenged. It sure is a fun little group.

Nice to see everyone in such a good mood.

I need to pick the communal brain for some unbiased info. I've been looking at protein powders to beef up (pardon the pun) my intake. What is the best one to use: a soy protein or an animal source protein? Or doesn't it matter?

By the way, please keep talking about snow & ice etc, because its 35degC here and so humid the walls are going mouldy. You people are the only cool people I know at the moment!

Time for bed here in the land of Oz
Love, Dove
Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 AM   #6  
Mel

Good morning all you early birds! Frozen here- it "slushed" yesterday then froze overnight. Good thing that schools are closed anyway, otherwise we'd for sure have at least a 2 hour delay.

I still have to work, tho

Headed upstairs for cardio in a few minutes on the bike, then a quick clean-up and to the gym for a client, then chest and tri's for me, then another client. I must be the only person who has to take a shower before I go to the gym

1 session of free munching on Saturday night has set me back a week eating wise according to the scale . Amazing how fast it goes back on and how slowly it comes off

Here's to a clean week!

Meg- I'm impressed with your caloric burn even if you don't really believe the numbers. And I doubt your back is scrawny. Can't wait to see pics. I'm not taking any til I fight the Mexican pounds back off me!

Dip- Good luck on the job front.

Hello everyone else- I HAVE to run and do cardio!

Mel
Old 01-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #7  
The Salad Guru

Thanks meliris. yes it is "shin splints" and it's excrutiating when i try to run or walk briskly. it's like i've gained the endurance, and i finally have my asthma under control, but my shins and ankles just won't cooperate! i am going to call the place where i got my orthotics today and schedual to have them refurbished and see if that helps. i just hope they fit into my new sneakers i just bought
yes i did have an MRI on my knee and i definitely tore my mesiscus.
there are two reasons i chose not to have the surgery:
1) the orthopedic surgeon i was seeing came off as an arrogant jerk to me and i really didn't trust him.
2) my aunt told me she had the surgery (orthroscopic...something that involves scraping away the loose piece of cartalige) and her knee is worse now, she is an avid biker-- just biked from Connecticut to Vermont (about 300 miles) for her 40th birthday, go aunt B!!
biking is easier and i do enjoy it but even after biking for a couple years, 10-15 hilly miles, 3-4 days a week, i took that kickboxing class and it was really hard for me, and i wrecked my knee! that's why i started to feel i needed an impact exercise to strengthen my lower legs, thus, i started running.
i see people at the gym with their knees wrapped, whats that for?
hey, i feel i need a better upper body workout. i need liike 5 or 6 exercises that will strengthen my whole upper back, chest, shoulders and arms. my husband has been showing me a little but he has like 4 exercises just for shoulders. i don't have that much time to spend at the gym! i need some that work more than one muscle group. anyone know any, or websites where i could find some?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:15 AM   #8  
The Salad Guru

Default Ps

oh, by the way, i binged on Mexican food Saturday too!
i just didn't eat for the rest of the day (it was lunch) and I'm hoping my body will forget it ever happened
Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #9  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Monday LWL!

Got up way late this morning, but still went to the gym - so I was a 1/2 hour late getting into my office - no big deal, but not the best UBWO I could have done. However, better to get the w/o in and over with as opposed to giving myself the opportunity to skip it later, because I'm tired. Hopefully I can get caught up on some good sleep tonight.

Tried on some more clothes yesteday, and think I can safely say I'm truly in a size 14 pants now - most of my 16's get too sloppy on me by midday - hurray!

I have an old pair of size 14 Dockers jeans, that are about 15 years old, that I would really like to get back into - they are probably more like today's size 12, and are the smallest pants I can remember wearing since high school. I'm pretty sure I weighed about 170ish when I last wore them. Right now I can get them up over my hips, but can't fasten them yet. So, getting into them will be my new step-goal - wish me luck!

Well, need to get back to work - almost time for lunch - good thing - I'm starving!
Cindy
Old 01-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #10  
Meg

Back from Leg Day and the Great Lunge Challenge had to be postponed due to injury. I messed up two of my toes (not sure how; they’ve been nagging me for a while but now are pretty bad) and it’s painful to put weight on them. So lunges are out, though squats and leg press etc. were OK because my weight's on my heels.

I posted two new pix in the LWL album: one of my scrawny back and one of me in my original Big Pants. If I can figure out how to resize it, I might use it as a new avatar.

Quote:
Amazing how fast it goes back on and how slowly it comes off
Truer words were never spoken! As for those Mexican pounds — remember the Alamo, Mel!

Cindy — I hope you take a minute and give yourself a few pats on the back. You didn’t cave in to emotional eating this weekend, you got in your workout even when you were late, you’re in size-14 land … good for you! You have so much to be proud of!

Mindi — did the ice keep you from biking this weekend? You need to move to a sunnier climate!

Dip — we can’t live without Fitday, can we? Like when Mel was talking about being afraid to eat when her Internet was down and she couldn't enter anything … I’ll still go back and look at some of my old stuff from 2+ years ago (funny, it looks a lot like what I’m eating today! )

Keep warm! (except for Littledove and JC — stay cool!)

Meg
Old 01-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #11  
One day at a time

well today has been good, except getting up late, not getting my cardio in before work and oh getting laid off after tommorrow.

hmmm.....well i'll adjust. I'm gonna do my workout when i get off here and i'm thinking now that i'm laid off i'll have more than enough time to workout. i'll check in later after my workout.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:48 PM   #12  
Lovin' Zumba!

Sheila - been meaning to say "Hi!" to a fellow Michigander! I'm in upstate NY, but lived the previous 35 years in Michigan. I grew up in Port Huron, went to school at MTU in the UP and have lived in Holland and Albion as well.

Sorry to hear about your lay-off, but you're right, you'll have lots of time to workout. I was laid-off once, for about 4 months, and made great fitness progress. So, look at the bright side, if you can.
Cindy
Old 01-19-2004, 04:54 PM   #13  
Lovin' Zumba!

Meg - sorry to hear about the toes! Hope they heal quickly for you. Hey, I can resize your photo if you wish - just let me know and I'll do it and email it to you.

Thanks for the thought about patting myself on the back. That and your post of yesterday makes me think I need to buy myself an iPod mini as a reward! Off to check out the Apple site now!
Cindy
Old 01-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #14  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Dove -since you are an Aussie I can help you out here. Go with animal proteins most of the time but if you are going to cook with PP go with soy. The best two types to use in Australia are Aussie Bodies Perfect Protein in the blue container and the soy Life version for cooking.

HTH

JC
Old 01-19-2004, 06:04 PM   #15  
One day at a time

hey all

just done a great workout. sweated a lot on my bike then tortured my arms.

being as how i was exercising, my 15 year old decided to do my ab video (although that probably has more to do with the guy in the video)

i finally found an eating for life book and looking forward to trying some of the recipes.
Closed Thread