Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:38 AM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Gathering helpful hints

Hello all ~

This isn't exactly a health problem, but something that indirectly is affecting my health and causing me much frustration.

I have trouble sleeping at night. My gynecologist said it is part of menopause. I guess I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and how do you deal with it. Does it eventually pass?

This is complicated by being a night shift worker (7pm-7am). I sleep pretty good in the day time, but on my nights off, I sleep maybe 3 hours, then can't get back to sleep. I want to be awake in the day time on my days off so I can get some stuff done. I need the sunshine!! I end up feeling tired all the time and frustrated because when I am awake, I am too tired to get much of anything done.

I have tried Tylenol PM and some other over the counter sleeping medicine. One didn't work at all, the other, I didn't like how it made me feel when I woke up. The dr tried me on something else, and it made my mouth very dry, and didn't help me sleep. Then she tried me on another sleeping medicine, and it gave me 4 hours instead of 3. Some people have suggested Melatonin. I haven't tried that yet ~ have to find out if it is compatible with my other medicines. I am sort of at my wits end.

It messes everything up, because I am not able to get into any sort of pattern of when to eat and exercise. I can not count on days being the same.

If anyone has any ideas to share or could offer any encouragement that maybe this will pass ~ I would be so glad to hear.

Thank you ~ Gayle
Old 01-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #2  
California Girl

Hi Gayle--

Welcome to the joys of menopause. I have POF which put me in meno way too early in life. I have terrible insomnia. Plus, when I did fall asleep, my husband would move in bed and I would wake up. As long as I keep my hormones stable with HRT, I can sleep, but there are some adjustments I've been forced to make. I don't drink ANY caffinated beverages past 12 noon. I don't eat 2 hours prior to bedtime. Occasionally, I find the most boring documentary on TV (that will put ANYbody to sleep.) When nothing else works, my MD gave me Klonopin, which is an anti-anxiety med (sleeping pills don't work!) I am able to break each pill so I can take the smallest amount with the greatest effect, taking 1/4 pill each time until I fall asleep.

You may want to try balancing your hormones first. If the thought of HRT scares you, there are lots of forms natural HRT and meno helpers out there. Soy and black cohosh come to mind.

Good luck and happy zzzzz's
Debra
Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 AM   #3  
ChewGirl

I'm not in menopause yet but I still have trouble sleeping from time to time....
Try some lavender. IT's great stuff and smells good too
You can put a few drops on a cotton ball and place it in your pillow
Or you could try some badger balm the sleppy time one works great and is a great moisturizer for the hands and feet. They say to put some on your temples and pulse points. the website is www.badgerbalm.com give it a try. I found mine a long's drug store
Old 02-07-2004, 12:27 PM   #4  
Ready, willing and able!

I have had issues with sleep for years ranging form mild to severe. Something I have tried recently was drinking a cup of Sleepytime herbal tea at night. I don't know the scientific details but I know I am having more rem sleep than I have in years. I have been waking up much better rested. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #5  

Default Hey There

I have tried most of the remedies except sleeping pills(script). Tylenol PM,and sleepytime tea are the ones I am using now..It doesn't always work.. I am way past menopause. I have been a light sleeper for many years. The nights I can sleep through mu hubbys snoring are good nights! I read before turning out the light. That doen't work! I usually just close my eyes and try to shut off my mind..It always takes awhile.I am up and down all night most nights..Stay healthy...Joanne
Closed Thread