South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #1  

Cool Lots of Questions!!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tracy a.k.a. toothfairee, compliments of my daughter I have been on the South Beach Day for 13 days, I'm in phase 1. I have been lurking around enjoying everyone's posts immensely, they have really helped alot. So I figured it was time to join in. So here are a few of my questions:

How do I get all the fancy stuff on here, smileys, etc. That looks fun.

About food, I went to Trader Joe's and got a stuffed piece of salmon that was utterly delicious but I was wondering if it fits okay on this WOE. It had cream cheese, shrimp and dill and the problem was the fat content, I think. It had 13 grams of fat, I am unsure about watching the fat content of foods on this plan. I know to watch carbs but I have questions on that too, what is considered low carb? He does talk about eating low fat meat like we can't have Ribeye steaks, etc. but is my salmon okay?

Salad dressings and carbs is my next question. What is low? Is 5 carbs low for salad dressings? I am going to weigh on Monday and I am concerned that I am not doing some of this right. What about fat content in salad dressings do we need to watch that?

I have a friend at work who is doing this plan too and she made an very delicious hot cocoa the other night. It had powdered milk that she had mixed with water and heated in the microwave until it was frothy and then she threw it in her blender with a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder and a dash of salt and some splenda and blended it all up. I was wondering if the powdered milk is not in phase 1? She said it was quite tasty because it came out like a latte or something. I got sugar free Swiss Miss last night and it has 10 carbs? How is that? That sounds too high to me.

I think that is all for now, thanks for the help.

Tracy
Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cute name! Welcome to The Beach.
First of all, relax over worrying about carb and fat counts! This plan eats good fats - that is not saturated or trans fats. Salmon has good fats, rib eye has saturated fats. When choosing a salad drressing, look for olive oil or canola or the other oils listed in Phase I - check out Frequently Asked Questions for a comprehensive list.
If you are sticking to the list, you will be successful.
As to the powdered milk, I'd avoid it until you are ready for Phase II. Once again check out the FAQ list for the latest word on dairy limits!
Old 01-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Tracey!
NO COUNTING!!

(I use powdered milk for my coffee, even if Phase I.)
Old 01-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome toothfairee!!

As far as salad dressings, it says somewhere..maybe on the food list under FAQ's, that you need one that has less than 3g's of sugar? I think that is right. I don't think cream cheese was on the approved list for Phase 1, but there couldn't have been too much in stuffed salmon. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

edited to add...I just looked a the Phase I list again, and it says you can have a cream cheese substitute? What would that be? Never heard of such a thing...and I was right about the less than 3gs of sugar. Check out the list, I have to look at it often I forget very easy

Last edited by chazmom; 01-17-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #5  

light cream cheese.........like philadelphia light....it's hard to get out of the not to worry bout carb count..... i did atkins for a year....
Old 01-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Somewhere I answered a post about cream cheese NOT being on Phase I. I believe that even the lf fat is higher calories and less protein than lf ricotta. I am always saying don't count stuff BUT we must make proper choices and not mess with the lists too much.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

Here it is:
Quote:
HOWEVER, low fat cream cheese has 554cals, 42 grams of fat, 17 grams of carbs and 25 grams of protein. Ricotta (part skim milk) is 340/19/13/28 so it is by far the better choice - lower cals, lower fat, lower carbs and more protein. This is based on nutritional analysis of a cup of each in www.fitday.com.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #8  
Believe it & Achieve it

Tracy-

The cocoa you bought will be o.k. but I personally buy swiss miss diet with calcium.
It is made with splenda 3 net carbs per serving, 25 cal and 0 fat. I used to purchase the sugar free until I found this, and find this is way better.

Welcome to the beach, come join us in the chat thread!
Old 01-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #9  

Lightbulb thanks sooo much

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your help, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside You are some wonderful babes to hang out with!!!

No Counting is great advice, I was reading the V8 bottle yesterday and it has 10 carbs a serving and I was thinking that is too much, but you are right it's not about counting carbs!! Yay, I got it. I can relax a little and just follow the lists. I was being a bit too anal.

I think I'll tell my friend to lay off the powdered milk and try the Swiss Miss, it sounds like a great substitute.

I feel great on this plan, how about everyone else? I think it's because I haven't been eating any sugar, I was a big sugar eater. I feel more relaxed and healthy. That's why I like this plan, it feels like a healthy way to eat.

I snuck and weighed a day early and I have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. That's good enough for me, I think I might just do Phase 1 one more week as I had a goal of 8 pounds in 2 weeks.

Have a great week,
toothfairee
Closed Thread