Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #1  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Default New Year, New Goals, New Me Week 3

Hi All. We have moved this thread from the Buddy Up because this is more where it should be.

So far there are three of us in here and we hope to pick up more.

I am down the weight I gained last week, after my stress binge eating, and another .5. I am down to 250.5 this week. That's pretty good considering the last weigh in was Monday morning.

Welcome all old and new and hello to everyone!

My goal this week is to focus on the water intake. That's been not a focal point for me this week, and it needs to be. I'll keep this thread going until weigh in next Friday, then I will start the Week 4 thread.

Good luck all!

Chach
Old 01-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #2  

CHACH great thread. i definately have new goals for the new year. i lost 22lbs. since monday before thanksgiving. from 356lbs. to 334lbs. i hope to be down to 315lbs. by valentines day. not a lot but baby steps plus i really hate to exercise. really nice to meet you all.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Hi, Chach

Glad you're back on track. Anytime you can rebound from a setback and still net a half pound loss is a great week!

Also, Your note inspired me to hike over to the water cooler and fill'er up again!

I had a really good day yesterday, and today is shaping up very nicely, too. I've been spending extra time in the morning filling up the cooler w/ the "right stuff," and it is paying off. My weigh-in is tomorrow morning, and I think I'll have a decent loss -- probably a pound or two. That is not the pace I need to reach my admittedly ambitious goal of dropping to 200 by the March 21 cruise, but I am definitely heading in the right direction!

Chequitagirl: That's some nice progress in 6 weeks time - - and you did it over the hardest time of year to follow a program! Congratulations! How did you do it? I hope you can stick with us on this thread.

We're having Alaska-like weather down here in Connecticut, Chach - windchills up to 40 below. The first minute or two isn't too bad, but after that, man, it hurts! The running is definitely on hold for a few days -- should warm up by Sunday.

Tomorrow is a challenge - - my daughter's 12th birthday. We agreed to let her have 9 friends for a slumber party. What was I thinking???!! Anyway, my goal is to admire the birthday cake by sight only.

I'll let everybody know how the weigh-in goes. I'm hoping for 226!

Be well,

Dan
Old 01-16-2004, 02:14 PM   #4  

danny b holidays were rough but i figure if i can do it then the rest of the year should be a breeze. if just kept if low fat and low sugar. i also ate normal portions of what ever i wanted. i mean if my ganny's red velvet cake was calling my name i had a taste and no more. i try my best not to consider what i am doing a diet but a lifestyle change and i eat pretty much anything i want just in moderation.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chequitagirl
danny b holidays were rough but i figure if i can do it then the rest of the year should be a breeze. if just kept if low fat and low sugar. i also ate normal portions of what ever i wanted. i mean if my ganny's red velvet cake was calling my name i had a taste and no more. i try my best not to consider what i am doing a diet but a lifestyle change and i eat pretty much anything i want just in moderation.
That's the best way to do it, I believe. But, I just can't . Once I get started on certain foods, I have tremendous difficulty stopping at a level that could even remotely be considered moderation. I find complete abstention from trouble foods much, much easier than trying to eat them in limitation, particularly sweet or salty foods. The good news is that, when I'm doing well, those foods really don't seem all that appealing to me.

I really admire the motivation it takes to begin at the holidays. The rest should be snap.

Dan
Old 01-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #6  

thanks for the props. and there are certain things i had to completely cut out, like mt. dews and dr. peppers i hope i continue to be able to do the whatever in moderation, but if not i hope i have the strength to stop whatever becomes a problem.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #7  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Chequita: Welcome to the thread and a big congrats on how much you have lost already! That's a real accomplishment for the holidays! I don't really care for exercise, either. That's why I am focusing on my food issues first and then working in the exercise. I used to be a kickboxer, and fanatical, but man, it's just not in me anymore since I had sciatic problems.

Dan: I'm glad I encouraged you to go get some water! I am already at 64 ounces today. This is a good goal for me and I know I can accomplish it, just need to put a little more effort in it! I think you are going to have more trouble keeping sane with the slumber party as oppossed to not eating the cake. My brother let my neice have a sleep over this year for her 10th bday and there were 9 of them running around. He finally went to his room and shut the door and stayed in there all night! Good luck.

Lucky, where are you??

Talk to you all later.

Brrr....it's -30 up here today, without a windchill. Dang, it's cold.

Chach
Old 01-16-2004, 07:10 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachee

Brrr....it's -30 up here today, without a windchill. Dang, it's cold.

Chach

I think I need to re-define "Alaska-like"

Old 01-17-2004, 08:18 AM   #9  

Smile down a pound

Weighed in this morning at 227 - - down a pound from last week.

Overall, I think the week was a big success, despite the relatively low weight loss for a 2nd week on a diet. First, I think that last week's 7 pounds was a bit overstated -- my scale fluctuates somewhat, and I think I got luck and hit a low point - - a few informal weigh-ins a day or two afterwards showed that I was up a few beyond last week's 228.

More importantly, though, I am staying on track and moving in the right direction. I even got out and ran a little today, although not very far. It is going to get up to sultry 30 degrees this afternoon. I plan to put some more road-time in then.

I started writing in the journal yesterday. My first entry addressed the history of my weight issues. The exercise of putting that down in writing required me to really think about the causes of my weight problem - - probably more than I have ever thought about it before. I could not stop thinking about it all day yesterday. I came to realize that my biggest problem is my willingness to accept failure. I have to say, these posts sure help.

Goals for this week:

1. 6 servings of fruits and veggies/day

2. run 4 times.

3. no "bad carbs"

Now, time to get ready for the on-slaught of pre-teen girls.

Be well,

Dan
Old 01-20-2004, 12:28 AM   #10  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone.

How did the weekend go for all? Dan how did your giggly girl weekend go? Giggly girls plus the in-laws. Wow. Sounds like great fun. Great job on getting out and getting a little run in. You can always start with a little at least you are doing something. Great goals for the week also. That should help get closer to achieving your goals.

Chequitagirl. Hi there and welcome. How was your weekend?

Chachee my friend. How was your weekend? How is little guy doing? Did your hubby get home? How is my scarf coming along? Are you able to get all your water intake in?

That is my focus for the week also. Water intake. And less coffee. I did pretty well on both of those today. This next week they have changed my work hours to 8:00 - 5:00. I was staying until 5 anyway, so now I get to sleep for an extra hour. Actually I figured I would get up at the same time and do a workout.

My little nephew that is now 1 month old got rushed to the hospital up in the city as he has that bad RSV virus. They are hoping that he will pull through, but he is a very sick baby. It might be a rough week.

Must run and will chat with all later.

Kathy
Old 01-20-2004, 10:15 AM   #11  

Kathy:

I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. Please let us know how he is doing.

"Giggly girl weekend" went great. They were up all night, but were quiet enough that we slept through it pretty well. And, there was no damage! I made pancakes for eleven w/out having any myself!

Chach: everything ok? Hope you're doing well.

Dan
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #12  

kathy i will definately remember your nephew in my prayers and my weekend went great. dannyb congrats on the lb. gone. my weigh in is this afternoon so i'll let you all know in the morning how that went. i feel good about it although i did blow my diet last night. i went out to chinese with my hubby and what can i say i blew it, but no snacks before bed and back on the proverbial horse today. hope everyone else is doing wonderful.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:49 PM   #13  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi All!

I usually don't get on here during the weekends, and Monday was a holiday, so here I am on Tuesday posting.

My hubby got back from Thailand on Saturday morning. He's suffering from jetlag big time. We just kinda played it by ear on the food and I did pretty well. I did splurge and have some homemade peanut butter cookies and a candy bar, but not too bad considering what I could have eaten.

I made a big pot of veggie soup last night and some homemade buttermilk biscuits. I ate too many biscuits, but I did well overall considering I just had veggies for dinner.

Danny: Glad you got through the sleep over in one piece. Your goals sound good and I am sure you will make them!

Lucky: My son is doing better. No more swelling and the bruising is going away. He's pretty much back to normal foods, but the harder foods he has to eat on the side or in the back. How is your nephew? My prayers are with him and your family. Your scarf is almost done. You'll need to email me your address.

Chequita: One bad night doesn't make a failure. I am sure you will do better than you think! Let us know how it goes and what you might have for a goal this week.

Sounds like we are all coming around pretty well. My water intake is doing well, so I'm glad about that. Plus, with all this knitting, my hands are busy so it's not so easy to snack all the time.

Be good!!

Chach
Old 01-20-2004, 03:59 PM   #14  

Lightbulb An idea re the water

I tend to get carried away w/ what I'm doing, and I forget to drink the water. I had an idea today that has worked out pretty well, so I'll share it.

I take 5 post it tabs (one for each of the minimum 5 glasses I want to drink during the workday) and put them on the top of my computer screen. Whenever I look at the screen, I am reminded to drink. When I finish a glass, I move one tab to the side. Tomorrow, I will move them back to the top.

Right now, I've got another hour to go and one tab still on the top - - I'm going to take care of that right now!

Dan
Old 01-20-2004, 05:21 PM   #15  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Dan: Great minds think alike! What I do is put page markers on my water bottle (a purple Nalgene one that is awesome) and as I drink it down, I take them off. I only put three on, as I have a 33 ounce water bottle! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Chach
Closed Thread