Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #2

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been another "ho hum" kind of day in my world. One kid goes to in-school suspension while another kid got out and promtly skipped school today. Some days I feel like the hamster running in his wheel and getting no place fast!

"Gma" -- The "I ain't gonna do it!" kid did his part of the speech today in class. Evidently he isn't old enough to drop out and someone pointed out to him that in the meantime he might change his mind and want the credit. He's not dumb but is another gang wannabe. Were you tired after your long walk yesterday or did you go again today?

I need to make a grocery list and head for the store. DH has a dinner meeting tonight so I am on my own.

Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Default Weigh Day Report

Good evening everyone. I have been feeling much better and did count all my points and ate what I should even though I had to force myself to eat at times during this bronchitis. The Iron Monster showed me down 4.7 which was a bit of a surprise because I weighed at a later meeting and already had eaten breakfast and lunch where before I have always weighted before breakfast.

JEAN I have one question ~ Where are the parents?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #3  

Maggie, alot of these kids live with only one parent and most of the parents work at one of the two packing plants in town. Unfortunately, a great number of the parents either didn't graduate from high school or were in special ed. themselves. We have a student body of over 600 students and there is a "Young Mothers" group that meets for support -- there are at least 25 girls who attend and my guess is there are 8 - 10 pregnant girls walking the halls right now. One of the girls I know (Hispanic) had her first baby in 8th grade and just had her 2nd one as a junior. She got married when she was a freshman. It is a no win, sad situation all the way around.

I am off to preheat my bed and decide what I'm wearing tomorrow.

Sleep tight!

Jean --
Old 01-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #4  

Jean: Do these kids not know they can get BIRTH CONTROL! I am not a proponent of that, but if you are 17 and already have 2 children, it might be a very very good idea. Looks like there needs to be some kind of good mentoring program in place to try and help these kids get back their self esteem and want to learn, though why when they can earn millions selling drugs....I wish you could see the lowlifes in this town riding around in $100,000 cars, jewelry up the wazoo, and top name clothing. Now you cannot tell me, a person who talks like they just took lessons from some Ghetto kid and you cannot even have a decent conversation with them because you 1, can't understand them and 2, they have no clue when you use words over 3 letters is a college graduate o5r even high school for that matter. It is disgusting.

Maggie: WOOHOO for you! Congratulations on the loss.

I have my upstairs cleaned already except to run the vacuum, which I will do around 8:30 or so when I feel the neighbors are up, have washed all my bathroom and throw rugs and am getting ready to start the downstairs. I have been pretty much totally on program for about 2 weeks now and I can tell I have flushed out the junk again as I feel really good and energized again.

I was a whirlwind yesterday, running errands all day then grocery shopping with Jack at the commissary yesterday afternoon, coming home, unloading and putting away, running and getting a sandwich then going over and joining the Y. We are going tonight to workout so it will be an experience for me as I have never used any type of exercise machines except my glider. I have been to heavy to try and walk fast enough on a treadmill because of my knee, but I am going to see how slow it goes and try it tonight. The biggest problem is getting on or at least staying on when it starts! I really want to get aother 30 lbs off before the wedding and it is safe to do it and within the realm of possibility if I stick with everything.

Well, I need to get downstairs and get something done.

Faye
Old 01-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Good afternoon. I am so glad I am feeling better and just wish that guy next door would quit using his chain saw for a little while and give my ears a rest. I know his trees and shrubs need trimming though so I won't complain. Just wish he would take a break. We have rather large yards here and I am glad he is able to get out and do it also. He is the retired Sherrif ~ heart problems made him retire early. He is a good neighbor to have. His house is up the hill from ours and we got to enjoy his Christmas decorations.

JEAN at least that gal that got married so young and has babies is trying to finish high school. I hope she makes it. You know we can look back to the good old days when there were two parents in the family and at least one could be home when the kids were but those days are gone to never return. What we have now is how it is going to be and maybe even worse. The parents are not going to do for their kids what they need and teachers can't do it all. It is a sad state of affairs and just think, from these kids one day will come those who run this country. I shudder to think what it will be like then.

FAYE I am with you every step of the way to lose that 30 before the wedding! It is doable if you can keep your FOCUS which I have no doubt you can. Be careful at the gym - go easy for if you end up injuring yourself then you will suffer a set back and at this point you don't need one.

AH he took a break. Sounds of silence.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #6  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We are still in the deep freeze Now, I used that icon, not because it is warm and sunny but because it's name is 'cool'. What we need right now is It has not gotten above 8 deg all day and the wind chill factor makes it feel like 45 below, that is if I were to go out. Tomorrow the forecast is for a heat wave to about 30 deg. We are having company tomorrow so I have been doing some extra cleaning and preparing and this has kept my mind off the cold.

I am getting used to the new . Very different but nice and boy is it fast.

FAYE I am sure that knowing your determination you will be able to meet your goal by the wedding. It sounds like a lovely time in Vegas. That is one of my all time favorite cities. So much to see and do and a lot is free!!! Don't overdo at the gym! Wouldn't want to have a set back because of over enthusiasm!!!

MAGGIE Glad to hear you are feeling better. I know what you mean about the noise from you neighbor, especially when you are not feeling your best and would like to rest. He can't have that many trees to cut so maybe you will have some peace and quiet soon. Contratulations on the weight loss...keep doing whatever it was you were doing.

JEAN Kids today are so different and I agree it is because of the lack of 2 parent homes and also because the mothers have to work away from the home. Then add in indifference and you get a very sorry situation. It must be so difficult for a caring person to deal with type situation every day. I have great admiration for you and all teachers. I don't think it is something I could do.

Gloria in MA.....needing to get to a warmer part of the house...this is a cold corner.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:29 AM   #7  

Good Evening!
I am waiting for my bed to preheat and then I am going to crawl in! We had a FAC meeting this afternoon, DHs met us for supper, and we didn't get home until 8:30. I snoozed in front of the TV only to come to like "someone" was watching me. Two outside orphans were peeking in as if to say, "warm food, please!"

It is pouring rain here and I'm hoping we don't get up to ice. The weatherman didn't say anything about ice nor snow in the forecast. We have a 50th anniversary brunch in the morning and then we are planning to go visit kids and grandkids. DH needs a new suit so I'm hoping to get him in a store or two to at least look.

"Gma" -- These kids make no secret of the fact that they sleep with whomever is available at the moment. We had a local person, who had been a missionary in So. America for 20+ years, speak at one of our in-service days. In their "culture" it is not unusual for girls to be married and have babies by the age of 14 for that is how they show their femininity. Likewise, the guys are masculine when they talk tough and fight. They also drive without a license and insurance down there so see no reason to have one up here, law or no law. It is a vicious circle, that's for sure. You are an ambitious lady with a squeaky clean house! Lucky you! Take it nice and easy at the Y.

Maggie -- Glad you are feeling better! At school we shudder to think that some of these students might be taking care of us in the nursing home! The mental pictures are not good.

Gloria -- I'm sure you've seen the saying, "three reasons I am a teacher . . . June, July, and August!" We don't even get the three summer months off any more. There are days when I wonder why I do what I do, but for the most part, I leave school at school. Every once in awhile a student will tug at my heart strings but once they graduate, I rarely ever see them again. I hope you warm up! I don't know how we missed the cold front you got but we only had a couple days of it and that was enough! Have a nice visit with your company!

Have a nice weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:35 AM   #8  

Happy weekend folks!

Jean: Do you get Monday off for MLK? Jack gets that AND the anniversary of his death, which is in April. Memphis has to pay pennance for killing him, ya know so the tax payers have to pay the city employees for that day. It is ridiculous, because he sure doesn't get President's day off or Veterans Day or Columbus Day. etc. Burns me up sometimes.

I am going to the gym this morning and I promise not to overdo. I should be ok on the treadmill since I walk all the time, but I am not doing more than 5 reps or so on any weight type machines and I am going to try that bicycle thingy I think. The cool thing is we went out shopping for shoes for the wedding last night (Jack wanted red ones, I think black would be classier, but anyhow...) I was so jazzed because I had been wearing a wide 11 (I have always had big feet!) and I am back to a regular width and down a size.
Here are my pretty shoes and I did end up with black ones. I tried on about 8-10 pairs of shoes and most of them black because the red ones were either hoochy mama shoes, or didn't have my size. I found a beautiful pair of Liz Claibornes, but when I saw these and showed them to Jack, he salivated so I guess that means, woohoo I like them! I have never bought a pair of shoes that were this sexy looking before because I either couldn't get my fat foot into them, they were too "fragile" for my size, or the heel was such that I felt I would either break the heal or break my neck!

I hope you all warm up soon. It is near 60 here this morning though we are going to have rain for about 3 days!

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking

YIPEKIO this is the first day in a long time now that I have woken up without a headache. I think I am getting well. And this afternoon we are going to yank the carpet out of my crafts/office room. A mystery what we find under it but we are going to put some sort of tile down which will be easy to sweep the glass up from. I hate having a carpet in a room where I cut class.

FAYE I love your shoes! You are going to "wow" em for sure. Isn't it neat how feet also lose weight. Let us know how your first day at the gym works out for you. I can see you now..........

GLORIA you have been having the coldest weather so I hope the sun is shining your way this day.

JEAN are the orphans keeping themselves cozy? Peeking in your window ~ what charmers.

Everyone have a lovely and safe weekend. Think spring.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:04 AM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We left home this morning and 12 hours later we are back! Leonard was not a happy camper because his supper was a few hours late! We did find a suit for DH, plus a new dress coat, shirts, and ties. He is set for quite awhile! I didn't buy anything and didn't even look. The department store we walked through is still trying to get rid of Christmas items that were priced sky high to begin with. We were able to see both kids and grandkids so it was a "swell" day!

We stopped in to see a friend who just installed a wood laminate floor in her kitchen. We are still debating between that, carpet, and tile. What do you all have in your homes?

"Gma" -- The general response "up here" would be "MLK who?" No, we don't get it off and it bugs me that we don't get mail delivered! We don't have any black families in our school so I doubt if it will even be mentioned outside of a history class and maybe not even then. I love your shoes too! You will be one spiffy mother of the groom! How did the trip to the gym go?

Maggie -- I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Are you putting vinyl or ceramic tile in your craft room? I really like mine; I have it in the bathrooms and kitchen. We have a new tom cat who has moved into the neighborhood and he has the same markings as Leonard. When I first saw him I thought Leo had somehow gotten outside. He has evidently run off the other two "new" ones because we haven't seen them in over a week. I have 3 females and we are going to have to transplant at least two of them to the farm before the kittens come along. There is a cat shelter in a small town near us and someone dumped two small cardboard boxes, duct taped shut, with 11 kittens and cats (one being pregnant) inside. The sad thing is that they were left in an abandoned building and the caretaker just happened to notice the tire tracks in the snow; otherwise they would have died because there were no air holes. The shelter has to have them checked by a vet before they can be with the other cats and they were so traumatized that was no small feat. That makes me so angry! At least when we take them to the farm, they are fed and have a warm barn to get inside and out of the weather.

Well, I think my bed is probably warm by now and it is time to head that way. Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 01-18-2004, 02:11 AM   #11  
Thin Within

It has been a busy and enjoyful day here. Got a pot-luck to get through tomorrow but that won't bother me because I have lots of practice.

JEAN I absolutely hate carpet in the kitchen ~ had it and boy was it a mess. I don't exactly know what we are going to put down in the crafts room but it will probably be self stick vinyl tiles. Same with the bathrooms. Monday I will know more when we go take a look at what is out there. That is neat that you found some clothes for your husband and got to see your loved ones also. At least whoever got rid of those felines could have at least given them some air holes ~ poor things.

Have a good sleep everyone and wake up to a wonderful day which the Lord hath made.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The weather bug keeps jumping between 5 and 6 degrees . . . guess he can't make up his mind either! It is -12 wind chill and terribly cold outside. The sun is out so it doesn't look that cold.

I'm waiting for the washer to finish and am taking a short break from my "to do" list. I need to round up tax stuff next and even though I think I'm organized, I always have to dig for something I forgot about.

We went to church this morning and am I ever glad I wore slacks and my long coat. I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and the parking lot faces the north -- BRRRY cold! DH's group sang so he sat through two services.

Maggie -- I agree about carpet in the kitchen. I am much too messy when I cook! I am always wiping up drips and dribbles! We haven't been to a pot luck in a long time. It seems that so many people just stop by the deli or KFC on their way and very few bring anything home made. Sad! Years ago I belonged to a Young Mothers Club at church and we would have a salad luncheon once a month. We'd bring the recipes along to exchange -- I wish pot luck people would do that!

Well, I need to keep moving. Have a nice "rest" of the day, Flowers, and a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-19-2004, 02:41 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking

Well hopefully tonight will not be too cold here. As I type it is 47 degrees and the heater will keep us cozy. Hopefully tomorrow our bed will be exchanged or at least the one we have now will be picked up. I am planning on starting my "in house" exercise program tomorrow and that is my agenda before we go shopping. I am still caughing a bit and hope it goes away soon for I am getting quite tired of it. I feel so much better now though.

JEAN burrrrr is right. That wind chill can freeze your face off if you aren't careful. I too hope for your sake that the janitor did get the heat turned on so it won't be so cold at work in the morning for you.

Everyone sleep well and have a great Monday.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:08 AM   #14  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

JEAN You sound like you are having our weather in reverse. Usually you get the weather before we do. We had a few snow showers yesterday but did not amount to much and it is much warmer in the 20's. If anyone watched the Patriot's play then you saw our weather. Not a real football fan...just one of those that come in at the end if everything goes correctly That was nice that your DH got some new clothes. I have the opposite problem...DH loves clothes and is always finding something new he likes and that is on sale....worse than any woman ever was!!!! But, if that is his only fault I'll take it.

MAGGIE Got a phone call from DS yesterday and he was calling from RT 49 near Sonara, CA. I think that is somewhat near you??? He has gone to San Jose for a week of update training for his job and had the weekend off so went to Tahoe to ski. It has been quite a while since he skied so it was the bunny slopes!!!! He was on his way back to San Jose and was taking back roads, said weather was in the 40's and beautiful. Likes the small towns you find on back roads.

FAYE I love your shoes! I would love to be able to wear such high heels. However, I did get a pair of heels for a dinner/dance next Friday. They have 1 1/2" heels and that is as high as I get.

We had a great time Saturday with our company....she used to work with DH and her hubby is an ex-sea captain. He now does appraising for yachts and other big, expensive boats. At one time they were the Captain/Chef on private boats in the Carribean. She would cook 3 meals for the owners and their guest and some of the stories are quite hairraising....cooking through storms and high seas, etc. He has the appropriate beard that all Sea Captains should have. A very interesting evening.
Next Friday is our annual Appreciation Dinner for people who help at Church. It is in one of the nicest dinner halls around. Looking forward to this.
On the 6th of February we will be having our annual Brow Ave. Flurries....a progressive dinner. Appetizers at one house, Main Course at another and Dessert at the third. The neighborhood has been doing this for close to 20 years. Boy time does fly!!!!

Gloria in MA.....need to get myself a cup of coffee....by the way Jean, Iowa sure has been in the news with the Democratic Caucus going on. Everytime I hear the news I think of you.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #15  

Jean: We are kind of po' on the white folks side of the fence here, so to speak! Glad your trip went well and sorry poor Leonard got dindin late!

I LOVE going to the Y. We have gone everyday and Jack at first agreed to only 3 times a week and I said that was fine, but now he wants to be able to go back to jogging, which he hasn't done in years so he is wanting to go with me everyday. I really love the treadmill and am thrilled I can actually use it and even do it at a pretty good pace. I do 40 minutes, start out at a 2.3 mph pace (the slowest is 1 mph and that is really crawling, though a year ago I probably wouldn't have been able to do that), I do that for about 2 songs, then I move up to 2.5 then 2.6, then 2.8, then I do a song with 2.5 and a fairly sharp incline, then back to 2.8 then another incline song, then the last 10 minutes I back it down slowly for each song I listen too. I am kind of sore today, but it is a good sore!

Everyone have a good evening!

Faye
Closed Thread