100 lb. Club - my name

View Full Version : my name

terrific pig
01-14-2004, 05:45 PM
My son said something that made me think the other day. He was reading over my shoulder as I was looking at recent posts and said, "Maybe people will think you're putting yourself down by calling yourself 'terrific pig'." I didn't really think of it when I chose the name. It wasn't meant to describe myself or make a judgement about my weight at all. It actually refers to one of my favorite books, Charlotte's Web. Charlotte weaves the word terrific into her web to describe Wilbur. I'm a teacher who loves children's literature, so the name seemed perfect to me. Does anyone else have a screen name with a story behind it?

Mary

mthrgoos68
01-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Mary, Thanks for sharing that! Mine is pretty self explanatory. Mthrgoos for Mother Goose since I have 6 kids, and 68 for the year my husband was born. That way everybody was included!

Raelynn
01-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Mine is my first name lol. Not very creative, but still unique. :)

terrific pig
01-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I forgot to mention that my fiance Mark drew my pig logo. He's a cartoonist, recently syndicated. His comic strip, Spot the Frog, just debuted last Monday in several newspapers around the country - Seattle, Denver, Albany NY, Portland Oregon, St. Paul MN, Salt Lake City are some of the papers Spot's in. If the strip if it isn't in your local paper but you'd like to check it out, go to spotthefrog.net.

There! That's my advertisement for the day...

mary

matt_H
01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
My real name is John, but I always liked Matt. And my last name doesn't start with a "H", it is just my favorite initial.

okay, thats not true..i wish I was more original. Okay, here is a scary Canadian cowboy elf clown ;).

Monkeybabies
01-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, I actually gave birth to two monkey babies......and they swing from the trees through out the house.

I have always liked monkeys, and while I was preggo with DS # 1, I collected a bunch of stuffed monkeys. When both of my babies were born...their little feeties reminded me of monkey feet. That is how I came up with the name monkeybabies.

missaprylj
01-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Aprylcadabra....

Apryl is my name. LOL. -cadabra like "Abracadabra" but, you're thinking "wow, she must think we're really dumb because WE KNEW THAT!"

Well.... the actual reasoning is to remind me that there's a little magic in everyone. Even me. :)

Step
01-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Mary, I LOVED Charlotte's Web when I was a kid. I can't wait to introduce it to my daughter (she'll be 5 in March).

My name is "Step" cuz I'm too lazy to type "Stephanie" ... and it came about many years ago in my younger and crazy days (mid 20s) ... I have a good friend who is an avid and experienced sailor. Many years ago, on a whim, I joined him as part of a group of 6 who rented a 32-foot sailboat and sailed around the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda and lots of smaller islands) for 9 days. We knew that six people living in close quarters could be problematic so we tried to set up a schedule of daily "jobs" to eliminate problems before they happened. You know important stuff (cook, cook's helper, and bartender). In making our schedule I was the ONLY person w/ a name (or nickname) over 4 characters, so it was cut to "Step" to keep the size of the paper a manageable size!!

gonzostar
01-14-2004, 11:25 PM
well, one one my friends once nicknamed me gonzo cuz i was the "weird one". and i LOVE stars. the shape, not really the real ones. i even have a star tatoo. so "gonzostar" is my handle on everything (except AIM, that came before the star obsession). so there ya go. knew you all were wondering.

Lekker
01-14-2004, 11:29 PM
I use Lekker just because it is one of my favourite Dutch words! It means appetizing, tasty, lovely, pleasant, etc. I lived for a year in Holland (hence the avatar with me and the rather large shoes), and all of us foreign students used the word excessively and in *every* possible context.

jiffypop
01-14-2004, 11:35 PM
my initials are jfp, and i was once working at a place where we signed EVERYTHING with our initials, never our names. one of my friends there cried 'jiffypop' when she saw them...

and it stuck!!!!

glynne
01-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Mine wasn't very original. glynne ~ my first name is Gayle, middle name Lynne. I think I tried to do something with gayle, but it was already taken. I was brand new to this internet stuff when I started on 3FC and didn't know you could get creative with the names. I think now I would pick something different if I could. Maybe BlueDenimGirl or something like that ~ it kind of describes me.

Gayle

suzie76
01-15-2004, 07:53 AM
My actual name is Sherry, as you know. When I was in high school, one of my favorite band was The Alarm (anyone here remember them?) They have a song named "Spirit of 76" with a character named Suzie (spelled with a "z"). When I came to this board, someone was already using Sherry, so I figured I would use Suzie76 from that song.

Sherry

willowgirl
01-15-2004, 08:22 AM
You know when you meet that special someone and you start playing the baby name game, where you imagine what you would name your baby and how it would look with his last name? Well, when I was 17 and met my special someone I did that. Willow was the name I have forever wanted to name a daughter if I had one. Fortunately my best friend pointed out to me that that name would not work because my special someone's last name was Stubbs....Willow Stubbs... Tree Stubbs....no.

So, if I can't name my daughter that, then I will take the name. The girl part is just because it sounds better than willowwoman or willowlady. I won't admit to it meaning that I refuse to grow up ;)

Sandi
01-15-2004, 09:38 AM
I joined 3FC in October of 2000, that was the same month/year Jacob was born. Hence JacobsMommy. I will be in trouble if I ever have another little one. I'd hate to change my name now!! :D

Scary Clowns are gone!!

Monkeybabies
01-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Holly, I always wondered about your name, seriously. I totally assumed you picted that for your screen name because you were a super star (which you are) for loosing weight....and now that the weight is gone...it is GONZO...gone, forever. Ha....I was way off.

This is a great thread!!!

gonzostar
01-15-2004, 10:57 AM
haha, gina that's funny! i really love the character gonzo, actually. it's hard to find stuff with him on it, but a frend in holland sent me this huge stuffed one... it's so great! See:

kari_berry
01-15-2004, 02:00 PM
My screen name is not very original.

Kari is my first name, and my family tends to call me "Kari-Berry" or "Care Bear".

Kari Berry just sticks with me, so I thought I'd use it as my username. :)

Sheila53
01-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Well, what can I say? My name is Sheila. There are quite a few Sheilas on 3FC and I was born in 1953 so I added 53.

On animal boards, I'm PawPrint, but that just didn't seem to go here, and I didn't want to have to remember another name. So on non-animal BBs I'm Sheila53, and on animal BBs I'm PawPrint. Just lazy, I guess.

terrific pig
01-15-2004, 04:10 PM
So, Sheila, who's the cutie in the picture? I love her hairdo!

mary

SuchAPrettyFace
01-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Mary, I'm glad you explained your name. I was worried about you, your self-esteem, etc.

Sandi, aren't ALL clowns scary? :lol: A lot of people in my generation can't stand clowns, I'm not sure if it's b/c of Stephen King's It or b/c of the clown doll in Poltergeist that sucks the little boy under the bed. I've never been afraid of them b/c I have an uncle that used to be a clown w/Ringling Brothers.

Do I really have to explain mine? :lol: Is there anyone here who *hasn't* heard that? (yes, I'm including the guys, you're both pretty as well) I guess I can give you my version of it.

My Grammy was like a mother to me; her youngest child is only 4 years older than me, so sometimes when she'd tell me something about my grandpa, she'd say, "Your dad" & not even realize she'd done it.

We lost Grammy to cancer a week after 9/11. She was always supportive of me in my efforts to lose weight over the years, having battled it herself & succeeding. She never said an unkind word to me about my size, or refused to serve me foods she knew I probably should not indulge in. One year just before Christmas I mentioned that pecan pie would be so great, but no one ever made them. She looked surprised & said that if she'd known I liked it, she would've made one. The next holiday, there was the pecan pie on the table. (great, now i'm on the verge of tears & still at work :( )

Anyhoo, getting back to my point, about a year or so before she died, she said to me during a phone conversation, "When are you going to do something about your weight? You have such a pretty face, and when you take the time w/your hair & makeup & clothes, you're stunning. I'm worried about your health, honey." This was right after I'd gained back all the weight I'd lost on phentermine & another 40# along w/it during my friend K's pregnancy.

I told her that I would try to get the weight off & I've lost 40+# since then. It's a daily struggle. And she was right to be concerned about my health--since that convo, I found out that I have HBP, got taken off the Pill, and was diagnosed w/polycystic kidney disease. My Grammy knew that I was @ risk for inheriting PKD, and she was right to be concerned.

So that is how I got my screen name, an homage of sorts to my Grammy Bear. (Nicknamed after the Grahamy Bear crackers they used to have)

I just hope when I meet y'all in Chi-town that you're not thinking, "Jeez, did she ever pick the wrong screen name!" :p

dowsx4
01-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Now Aimee you are a beautiful woman inside and out!

Nyssareen
01-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, guess I'll explain my name too.

When I was growing up, my brothers and I watched a British sci-fi show on PBS called Dr. Who. There was a character on it named Nyssa (also one named Adric, which is where I got my older son's name). I wanted to name my daughter Nyssa from the time I was about 12, but I have two boys and no daughters. When I started going online in 1995, I used the screen name Nyssa. I have played on text-based role play games since I was on bed rest with my younger son and had a character named Kahreen. When I signed up for a hotmail account sometime in 1998 or 1999, the name Nyssa was taken so I combined the two names into Nyssareen and have used that ever since. Since it's so unique, I have never run into my chosen user name being taken like I did often with Nyssa, so it works :)

AngiKL
01-15-2004, 09:44 PM
OK, I think I replied to a post instead of the thread. I'm so confused. Here's what I said. . .

Mine is my name. Ho hum!

Sheila53
01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Mary, thanks for asking! That's my granddaughter. I love that photo--kinda reminds me of Pebbles from The Flintstones.

Jillegal
01-17-2004, 02:02 PM
My name's Jill and I'm in the legal profession, hence Jillegal. However, some people have decided it's a "J" tacked onto "illegal" - as if I have some sort of sordid reputation! ;)

SunnyD57
01-21-2004, 08:15 PM
http://users.bigpond.com/cutecolorz/20012/setfrog/ccfrogani2.gifThis is a great idea... I'll chime in if you all don't mind :)

I liked Sunny ~ because it's a reminder to me to be positive & uplifting for others around me as well as for myself.

D ~ initial for my first name, Donna

57 ~ the year I was born :)

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone!
:sunny: SunnyD

PiperGale
01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
My name comes from my precious miniatuer pinscher who I couldn't live without. Her AKC registered name is Piper (thought it was cute) Gale (which is actually my middle name). Shes the closest thing I will have to a baby until I am done with medical school.