Breakfast Ideas - Phase 1 - Protein Shake - Phase I

View Full Version : Protein Shake - Phase I

Ruthxxx
01-09-2004, 11:09 AM
This is my standard "quickie" breakfast.

In blender put
1 cup of water
2 scoops of protein powder (soy or whey)
1/3 cup lf cottage cheese
an egg or equivalent eggbeaters
Splenda
1/4 package sugarfree Jello or individual pack of Crystal Lite or some cocoa and instant coffee
Zap it until the cottage cheese grains disappear.

Calories 273 (208 calories come from protein!)
Fat 6 grams
Carbs 3 grams
Protein 52 grams

GavinsMom
01-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Oh this is great! My husband has been encouraging me to drink whey protein shakes and being SBD friendly, this is perfect. Thanks so much Ruth! ;)

Ruthxxx
01-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey! You must have whizzed right over here from Buddy Up!

GavinsMom
01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
LOL! I did. It's funny but I've been working on writing down new SBD recipes on index cards today to add to my collection and then I find this. Worked out perfectly. BTW, my husband uses the flavored whey protein like strawberry but are you using plain in this recipe?

Ruthxxx
01-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Yup - plain. I am a simple person. I've seen flavoured but most of them seem higher carb - maybe sugar in some of them?

SDMom
01-11-2004, 02:45 AM
The shake sounds quick and easy - kind of a bone head question, though: is the egg/egg beater raw? If so do you notice and "texture" issues?

I'm always up for ANY quick, non-egg breakfast.

Thanks!

Ruthxxx
01-11-2004, 06:11 AM
Yes, the Eggbeater is raw but pasteurized. You can also use real egg if you are not concerned about salmonella. Texture? You won't even notice the egg, if that's what you mean by texture. I just really zap it to pulverize the tiny bits of cottage cheese.

Jennifer 3FC
01-11-2004, 02:02 PM
I use cottage cheese in mine also. If anybody feels icky about it, don't worry - it completely mixes up, and makes the shake nice and thick. You'd never know it was there!

Jennie527
01-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes, the Eggbeater is raw but pasteurized. You can also use real egg if you are not concerned about salmonella.

So since Eggbeater is pasteurized you don't have to worry about salmonella?

Ruthxxx
01-12-2004, 04:02 PM
That's right but I don't worry about salmonella anyhow as I know the chickens personally! :lol:

ellis
01-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Ruth, you're putting me right off my eggs.

Jennie527
01-16-2004, 11:06 AM
I made this with vanilla flavored whey protein, 1 packet of splenda,and 1/4 tsp of sugar free raspberry jello mix(1/8 of box) and man was it good!

chilichick
01-19-2004, 04:47 PM
I am going to try this with instant coffee to flavor it. I can use Lactaid cottage cheese. The curds are small so I think they will blend easily.

joan fay
08-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi Ruth
Sounds great I think I will try it. Do you notice - I'm finding my way around better.
joan fay

Ruthxxx
08-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Joan, you'll be an old pro like me soon! :lol:

hblank
08-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Just one other suggestion with the flavored protein powder, when you buy a jug of it, you are stuck with it. This sounds great, I am going to give it a shot.

Frosty
08-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I tried the shake today and used the instant coffee as flavoring. YUMMY!

hblank
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Made this today, but I also added ice to it so it was more like a slushie!! And I used black ice coffee that I had in the fridge from yesterday with vanilla protein powder!! I wonder if sugar free pudding would be within the diet guidlines to use......anyone know?

Oregon Leigh
08-29-2004, 09:58 PM
I am so excited about finding these recipes. I'm at the end of week 3 on SBD and things were getting stale. Didn't have lots of time to be creative at dinner. Husband supportive and says he will eat what ever I need to eat but I fix him some extras. I went out today and bought every ingredient for dozens of recipes I copied off this site last night.

Had the pork tenderloin cooked in crock pot tonight on ww buns. It was so good. AND the peanut butter cup dessert was superb! What a treat after the fist 2 wks of a strict change in eating. Definitely feeling better and losing the weight too.

You ladies (and gentleman) are great encouragers/support. Love reading all the posts and suggestions.

Thx, Leigh

Oregon Leigh
08-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Made this today, but I also added ice to it so it was more like a slushie!! And I used black ice coffee that I had in the fridge from yesterday with vanilla protein powder!! I wonder if sugar free pudding would be within the diet guidlines to use......anyone know?

The sugar free pudding is allowed on phase one, so I don't see why you couldn't use it in the smoothie~

nelie
08-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Sugar free pudding isn't allowed til phase 2.

Oregon Leigh
08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
It was a typo and a serious one, I really apologize :o , I meant phase 2 because that was the dessert I rewarded myself with on the first day of phase 2.

Again, sorry, typed faster that my brain was moving. Just had the peanut butter cup dessert and I'm in the clouds :)

Leigh

Cinnamon68
09-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Are we allowed to have whey or soy during P1, I'm starting over, from being on a vessel for 2 months.

Oregon Leigh
09-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Dear cinnamon68, in reading the SBD book it says you are allowed soft low fat tofu (soy product), soy nuts, low fat plain soy milk...however the very next page says to 'AVOID soy milk' during phase one. Now I'm confused too, maybe someone else can help you on this one.

I recommend picking up the SBD paperback book. It was only 5.97 at Walmart.

They have a pretty extensive list of what you can eat, as well as great recipes on this site, check them out.

Good luck, Leigh

Cinnamon68
09-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks, I have the book. It juat seems like every time I turn around things change, I'm mot complaining, this is good, I can do this before I run my errands on the weekend. :)

Cinnamon68
09-06-2004, 11:15 AM
I tried this, this morning, and it was delish. I used the s/f jello lemon flavor...mmmmm good.

Oregon Leigh
09-06-2004, 11:25 AM
It's amazing how something 'sweet' can calm the ole nerves huh? I've found most recipes on the SBD very good. Try the 'Peanut Butter Cup' recipe. If you don't have it I'll post it here.

1 'sugar free' (I use 'no sugar added') fudgesicle...slightly thawed
Stir in: 1 tsp natural peanut butter and
2 tsp cool whip 'free'

Mix all together and enjoy. It is so stinkin good I can't wait till the next day so I can have another one.

I 'think' this might be phase 2 recipe~

Leigh

Cinnamon68
09-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, Leigh that sounds good too.

Oregon Leigh
09-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I just went back to phase 1 recipes and found this PB Cup recipe with different quantities of ingredients posted by Ruth. It said to use the no sugar bar, 2 TBS natural P Butter and 2 TBS cool whip free. That would make a lot larger serving as the no sugar bars are twice the size of the no sugar added bars. I prefer the smaller bars as I can still enjoy while keeping the serving small.

The recipe I sent you was printed from this site (with the smaller quantities) but I'm having trouble locating it. It was just in a thread, not in the lists of recipes. Anyway, it IS a phase 1 allowable.

Leigh

MELODY525
09-08-2004, 12:14 PM
I am so glad I found this. I like drinks in the morning instead of food sometimes!! Thanks Miss Ruth!!

yaya9577
09-13-2004, 07:38 PM
The shake is wonderful and QUICK...in fact I blend mine the night before and refridgerate it, so I can grab it and go in the morning. I also use instant coffee and a splash of vanilla. YUMMY!!!

TXMomof3
09-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I had a question - I too sometimes like to grab a shake for breakfast (LOL although I know the Sonic one's are no longer allowed after tomorrow...) - I bought some protein powder yesterday from Walmart and noticed that it is 50/50 soy/whey. Is this OK to use or does it have to be all whey or all soy? Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying this recipe one day this week.

~P

Ruthxxx
09-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Soy or whey or both - no difference. Go ahead and use it. Enjoy! When you get to Phase II, it is wonderful with fruit in it.

TXMomof3
09-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks, Ruth!

nelie
10-16-2004, 02:59 PM
I made a shake that was similar to this but not quite:

1 serving of flavored protein powder (I used chocolate soy which was 80 calories/scoop)
1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese
5 or 6 ice cubes
a tablespoon or so of nonfat yogurt
1/3 cup of water or so to thin out the mixture a little, can add as needed
splenda to taste

Blend blend blend until smooth. This is a great way to eat cottage cheese because I am not loving cottage cheese at the moment but it is a good thing to eat.

262mom2three
03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Okay...I soooo botched up this recipe. I jotted it down incorrectly as 2 CUPS of powder instead of 2 scoops. I couldn't believe it, knowing who posted this and the nutritional info at the bottom of the recipe. Uh...DUH to me!!

Anyway...I have been using a 70 cal/scoop EAS whey/soy powder that is chocolate (left over from workout days) but I'd really like to try to find one that is unflavored. All I found yesterday at Walmart were several types of vanilla and they were over 100 cal/scoop. Any reccs for brands, etc? Do you prefer soy or whey for flavor or benefits??

I know this is all "to taste" but...How much Splenda do you use? How much espresso powder? I only have caffienated espresso powder...cannot find decaf...is that okay?

TIA!

Ruthxxx
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Wow! This is an old post.

Splenda definitely is "to taste". I use a teaspoon when I make it with coffee, a rounded teaspoon or the same amount as in a mug of coffee. I always buy my protein powder (whey) at a bulk food store. It has no sugar.

Remember that shakes are just for quickie breakfasts. You really need some veggies. On Phase II, you can add unsweetened fruit to the shake which will raise the carbs and calories, of course.

262mom2three
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow! This is an old post.

Splenda definitely is "to taste". I use a teaspoon when I make it with coffee, a rounded teaspoon or the same amount as in a mug of coffee. I always buy my protein powder (whey) at a bulk food store. It has no sugar.

Remember that shakes are just for quickie breakfasts. You really need some veggies. On Phase II, you can add unsweetened fruit to the shake which will raise the carbs and calories, of course.

Thanks, Ruth! I know (!!)...I've had two moves and 2.5 kids since the last post!! However...I just KNEW that you'd see it so I figured that I'd try to ask a question. :D

Yes...I am having HUGE issues with breakfast. As a mom of three young ones, I am lucky if I can get ANYTHING in my mouth before heading out the door in the AM. The shake has been a nice, yet disgusting (hence my ?s...trying tweaks), way to get something in my body. I usually TRY to grab a red pepper, and hopefully my water bottle, as I head out the door. Yummy combo, huh? :)

KO
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
262mom2three Unjury makes an unflavored protein powder you can also get one at Trader Joes

iamfirmin
09-24-2009, 05:02 AM
I luv protein shakes!!! you can add a little almond flavor ..... et
buy container-- I usually buy Labrada vanilla ice cream and put some in my coffee in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!