WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 06:51 PM   #1  

Question

I will be making my first trip to Sam;s Wholesale Club next weekend. Can anyone give me any suggestions of some good things to look for there. I am doing weightwatchers, so I am looking for point value also. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreicated.
Old 03-26-2001, 08:31 AM   #2  
Domestic Goddess

I go to Sam's club a lot but usually just buy my milk, cold cereal, cheese, diapers, tp, that kind of thing there. Most of them do sell a huge bag of Anderson pretzels if you like those. Do you like chili? Some Sam's Clubs sell Stagg brand low-fat chicken chili, or fat-free (it actually has just a little) beef chili--excellent, excellent chili. Hmmm, let's see what else. Oh, I buy soups there--I just bought an 8 pack of Prego soup, 4 tomato & rotini, 4 chicken noodle. Both are loaded with vegetables and very low fat. Yummy, yummy, too. They also sell other brands of soups.

Different Sam's Clubs sell different stuff sometimes. You might find things I miss. Also, their products change occasionally, so it pays to just go up and down the aisles once a month or so. Only BE CAREFUL because they also can have some very, very tempting foods that I wouldn't dare put in my house! I'm not, unfortunately, a moderate person and they'd be devoured no matter how unhealthy.

Good luck and Happy Shopping!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:35 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

In my area Sam's carries frozen salmon steaks that are wonderful and very easy to prepare. One bag has 5 individually vaccume sealed steaks.

I also like the bags of frozen chicken. I get the skinless, boneless breasts but they have all kinds.

Try the packages of string cheese. Each stick is individually wrapped. makes it easy to take along anywhere.
There is also frozen hamburger patties and shrimp.

Look in the rice section for the Harves Medley(?) rice. It has white, brown and wild rice with freeze-dried bits of vegetables.
Warning: Stay away from the bakery section!
Hope this helps.~~~Sil
Old 03-26-2001, 11:13 AM   #4  
PartyAnimal&ComputerNerd

Hmmmm... I mainly go to Sam's for the basics. Frozen skinless chicken breasts, frozen pealed shrimp (yum! and very low in points), frozen veggies (stir fry type), and those huge bags fresh ready to eat veggies (I can easily go through these by myself in a week). Also, I get the big boxes of Quaker Oatmeal packs... I am always running late for work, so I can grab one to bring with me for breakfast. All 2-3 points per pack. Myself, I think I am going to hit Sam's tonight.
Old 03-26-2001, 12:14 PM   #5  

thanks everyone. I can hardly wait to check it out Saturday. Sure wish there was a Trades in Texas. But Sam's will be just fine
Old 03-26-2001, 03:08 PM   #6  

They have bocca burgers there too, I think 12 or so in a package, about $10.00
Old 03-26-2001, 03:41 PM   #7  

When I lived in TX, my WW leader mentioned a bread that she bought at Sam's so often that the group just called it "Sam's Bread". It's Milton's 99% Fat Free Healthy Multi-Grain Bread. It tastes great and because it is high fiber it is 1 point per 1 oz. instead of regular bread that is 2 pts per 1 oz. Where I live now I can still find it at Costco. I buy it every trip.
Old 03-26-2001, 05:12 PM   #8  

Bummer, I've never seen Boca Burgers at my Sam's. I'll have to pester them about this. I, too, like their frozen veggies. They're very fresh tasting and never freezer burned, like some of the veggies in the grocer's freezer. Also, my store carries basmati rice (in a burlap bag) that is good and economical. Sam's also carries a good brand of canned all-white chicken breast that comes in handy if you're pressed for time and want something other than tuna. Sometimes they carry the lowfat Krusteaz muffin mixes (I think they come 4 batches to a box), and they too are pretty good. Let's see...That's all I can come up with now. The worst place for me to go at Sam's is the book section. I always end up buying way too much if I go near the books.

p.s. I don't know if you like cheese balls (like Planter's), but Sam's carries some that are sold in these large plastic barrels. I had some at my MIL's house and was surprised to find that a serving of them was a pretty good points value.

Last edited by Rupertsmom; 03-26-2001 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2001, 12:39 AM   #9  
Girl Scout for Life

They also have canned turkey (water pack) that I love on salads. Also check the frozen foods - they carry a brand of frozen lasagne (family sized) - loaded with veggies, low fat, low points (like 5 or 6 per serving) - which is like 1/5 the tray. My DH loves it, as do my nieces and nephew. Makes an excellent family meal.

There's a rumor out there that some of the Sam's Clubs are starting to carry Kashi Go Lean Bars, but I haven't seen them in mine yet.
Closed Thread