11-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Baked Sweet Potatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 large sweet potatoes
2 pinches dried oregano
2 pinches salt
2 pinches ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat the bottom of a glass or non-stick baking dish with olive oil, just enough to coat.
2. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into medium size pieces. Place the cut sweet potatoes in the baking dish and turn them so that they are coated with the olive oil. Sprinkle moderately with oregano, and salt and pepper (to taste).
3. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 60 minutes or until soft.
11-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Praline Sweet Potatoes
8 medium sweet potatoes (about 5 lbs), peeled and cut into thirds
1/4 cup Splenda
1 cup pecans (4 ounces)
5 TB Smart Balance spread
1/2 cup LOL Half and Half
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1. In 8-quart saucepot heat sweet potatoes and enough water to cover to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20-25 min., until fork tender. Drain, return to saucepot.
2. Meanwhile, grease cookie sheet. In 1-quart sauce pan, heat Splenda and ¼ cup water, stirring gently, over low heat until Splenda dissolves. Increase heat to medium and boil rapidly, without stirring, about 7 min, until syrup turns light golden brown.
3. Stir in pecans and 2 TB Smart Spread until combined. Spread pecan mixture into a thin layer on cookie sheet; cool.
4. In saucepot with sweet potatoes, add in half and half, salt and remaining 3 TB Smart Spread. With potato masher, mash potatoes until almost smooth. Heat mixture over low heat.
To serve, spoon mashed sweet potatoes into large bowl. Break pecan mixture into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
11-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Makes 8 servings.
3 large yams, quartered length-wise
3/4 cup Sugar-free maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Smart Balance, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Lay yams skin side down in a 9x12 inch baking dish. Pour maple syrup over the yams and sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon. Dot with butter and cover with aluminum foil.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
11-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Note: I have not tried the Sweet Potatoes with Praline Sauce. I don't expect the Spenda/water to brown. This apparently is a recipe that somebody converted and just replaced the Splenda with the sugar in the recipe....so I'm not sure how the final recipe will turn out. I think I will buy some DaVInci Toasted Marshmallow sugar free syrup and try that instead.