Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 10:50 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default About the iron...

yes. most of us will develop iron deficiency anemia. and it'll happen in some very soon after surgery, and it'll take longer in others. after about 18 months, mine showed up.

and it's not easy to correct!!! my doc started me on some regular old over the counter iron supplement, and the levels kept dropping. so now, i'm on niforex, which is this strong iron supplement that they give people on dialysis, the ones with kidney failure.

have to get blood work next week to see how things are going,. if this doesn't work, it'll be IV iron, which i'm not looking forward to. if the niforex at least stabilizes the levels, maybe i could negotiate for ONE session of IV iron, and maintenance with the niforex.

all this to say: make sure your doc - whoever it is - checks your blood levels every few months...

ok????
Old 11-15-2003, 11:47 PM   #2  

now I understand why my doctor put me on ferrous sulfate (iron) TID, my iron was slighly low before surgery.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #3  

Thanks for the heads up, Jiff. I'm going to ask my mom to make sure her doc is checking her levels. She didn't have WLS but has the tiny little tummy now after those horrible ulcers caused so much damage they had to remove the majority of her tummy. I haven't heard her say anything about iron so I better ask!

Kel
Old 11-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #4  

Thank you for the heads up!!! My Dr. seems more worried about B12 which I take everyday. The supplements I take don't have iron in them....weird
Old 11-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

B12 tanks before the iron, usually, so your doctor is wise to enforce the extra B12. ask him how your iron is doing...
Closed Thread