South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #1  

Default Bread

I bought the Arnold's Low Carb Bread, they call it Carb Counting Bread. It says it's only 2 grams net carbs on Atkins, but it has 6 grams total. Nutrition facts also stated enriched whole wheat flour, but label said "Whole Grain Bread". I can't have it, can I? Even though the carb count is low, it's still a bread that I can't have because of the enriched wheat flour, right?

I go on Phase 2 on Monday, (I've lost 8 pounds so far!) . . . but I'm scared that I'm going to screw it up by adding back the things that I haven't been able to have the past two weeks.

Like yogurt. All the low or fat free yogurts I've seen at the store that are sweetened with aspartame have like 28 or more grams of carbs, plus over 8 grams of sugars (milk sugars). Can I have them or not?

Geez, I love this diet, but sometimes, it's so confusing!
Old 11-15-2003, 11:28 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

If it is enriched flour, it isn't ok - if I am reading right. Look in the book at the bottom of page 45 and top of 46. Do the ingredients also say Whole Grain flour? Maybe if enriched flour is on down in the ingredient list, then it is ok - but honestly I have no idea. It does seem weird that it could have enriched flour, but only 6 carbs per slice.

As for the yogurt, read all the ingredients and see if there are hidden sugars. 28g seems awfully high. I bought some recently that said aspartame, but when I read the label, it also had fructose for one of the top ingredients. I don't know if fructose is ok - I can't find it in the book. If it is a fruit flavor yogurt, it also might have jam or jelly in it.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

I found this list, from a Daily Dish:

Breads to Buy

Why are whole-grain breads better for you than breads made with enriched or refined flour? One reason is that whole-grain breads have a lower glycemic index. Another is that whole grains contain phytochemicals that may help cut the risk of heart disease and cancer. If you're in Phase 2 of the diet and can start eating bread again, here are some good brands to buy:

Pepperidge Farm:
100% Stoneground Whole Wheat
Natural Whole Grain 9 Grain
Natural Whole Grain German Dark Wheat
Pepperidge Farm Natural Whole Grain Crunchy Grains or Multi-Grain

Rubschlager:
European Style Whole Grain
100% Rye Rye-Ola Sunflower
100% Rye Rye-Ola Rye
100% Rye Rye-Ola Pumpernickle

Brownberry:
100% Whole Wheat
Natural 12 Grain
Natural Oatnut

Other:
Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Mrs. Baird's 100% Whole Wheat
Roman Meal 100% Whole Wheat
Arnold 100% Whole Wheat
Old 11-16-2003, 01:53 AM   #4  
Work in Progress

Any thoughts on Ezekiel bread???
Old 11-16-2003, 04:56 AM   #5  
Mous

Default Yogurt

I use the Blue Bunny from Wal Mart.

It is made from Splenda and is VERY tasty.

ME
Old 11-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #6  
Work in Progress

Believe it or not....there are no Walmarts close to me.....the only one in miles of me is in a very low income area that I would not go to...that seems crazy being that I live in the burb of L.A.....but true!! The closest one to me is about 30 miles...

rb
Old 11-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Oh yeah the Ezekial Bread, I am sure that works! No flour at all, just sprouted grains...that seems his perfect bread. I did read something in the book about you want to 'see the grains' for the healthiest bread possible. That would sum it up!

Yes, I heard Blue Bunny had the right kind of yogurt. I HATE Wal-Mart. I know, that is un-American, but they are always SO packed. Suffocating.
Closed Thread