Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 09:54 AM   #1  

Question where has everyone been?

Is our chat community dying? It seems we have little activity? Why? Even Amy does not update her journal... I hate to be so negative, but us newbies out here need your daily input, so we keep our spirts lifted. Solve our unanswered questions. ect. So many views on each thread only a few replys.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #2  

I have noticed that its been pretty dead to. I have found another forum called WLS Friends that is pretty active. I still check in here every day but there aren't many new posts. And as a pre-op I don't have a whole lot of useful information to contribute.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:17 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

<sigh> yes. the moderator even feels a little guilty!!!!

but, as with everything, life piles up. and i've been a posting slug all over.

not sure why the silence from everyone, though.

here are some thoughts: i've noticed in my support group that early post ops tend to fall into two camps: the constant complainers/worriers, and the silent stoics. it seems to me that we have the silent stoics! they're not complaining, no matter how scared they are or uncomfortable or whatever.

as for later postops.. some folks just tend to respond to questions [i'm one of those]. also, we don't want to monopolize the board, and make all the threads about US, so maybe we're a little reluctant to post some of our thoughts and doings.

as for preops... there are lots of questions. concerns. things to talk about. and anyone can start a new thread. not sure why that's not happening...

obviously, we need to DO SOMETHING.

so, any ideas? here are a couple of suggestions... please add/change/do/jump in at any point!!!

i'll put in a few threads just for general discussion... open up some topics...

from the preops... how about some threads dealing with questions or comments or fears or aspects of your life that you'd like to change? what are you working on- headwise and foodwise - to get ready??

you might not think you have a lot to contribute, but believe me, you really do.

let's see what we can do here. after all, the wls is all about change!!!!
Old 11-15-2003, 08:05 PM   #4  

I'm not pointing any fingers, after finding this site, and this group, I was so impressed and enjoy the site so much, it was depressing that there was little activity this past week. I felt like maybe nobody was posting, because I had left some messages, and the new girl was intruding into some friendships.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

oh geez. marg... that's not it.. we really welcome new folks... i just don't know where everyone has gone!!!! i can't help but think that something's wrong with some of the regulars...

ageoldie's mom is ill, and so are debkay's parents...
Old 11-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #6  

Okay- I'll break the ice. I'm new to the site and I posted once. I haven't had surgery yet, but have an appointment for orientation and the surgeon in Jan/04. I enjoy reading many sites from obesity help to yahoos gastric support group to my hmo Kaiser's support group. I am hoping to have surgery feb/mar 04
I'm 47 single mon one left in the nest 15 yr old- 22yr old and a 29 yr old -2 grandchildren 12 and 6. My highest weight was 307 and am currently 289 now trying to get ready for surgery and will start protein drinks once a day and ramp up on the exercise. I have type II diabetes, arthritis in both hips, hypertention and high cholesterol. TIME BOMB WAITING TO HAPPEN,and want to be around for my son and grankids, daughter and PEPPER my african Grey parrot who is 19 months old and can live 40 to 80 yrs. So I want to make it another 40 years. I'm here in california and have Kaiser ,surgery will be in South San Francisco. Thanks for listening
Karen

Last edited by smtown; 11-15-2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:37 PM   #7  

Angry

Hi Karen, I just had lap RNY done on the 10th of Nov. I get my drain removed on Tuesday. I'm still on full liquids, and seem to have no problem getting down the 64 oz, but I try for 90. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. I just bought my first scale I allowed in my house for the past 15 years. Weight down 11 pounds so far. Shocked me the morning that I had gained the past week before surgery.

Welcome and hope to hear from you again.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:11 AM   #8  

Ditzy- I'm glad to hear you are doing well, I have trouble with that amount of fluids and I haven't had wls yet. I'm working on it ,but it's hard with the weather being cold. How long were in the hospital? Can you share your experience.
Karen
Old 11-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #9  

Starting weight was 303 lbs. Surgery was Nov 10th at 7:30 am at Barnes Hospital, West. Arrived at the hospital on Monday morning at 5:30 2 hours before surgery. Only restriction before surgery was to have nothing by mouth after midnight. Surgery was right on time, as I was the 1st in the morning. Surgery took appox. 3 hours. I remember nothing, until awaking in the room with my husband and daughter by my side. I slept off and on most of Monday. I hit the morphine button a few times, by nursing told me that I was low on the use of pain pills.

I was on a restricted not to eat or drink anything until Tuesday morning. I was allowed later in the day to swish and spit, thank goodness, as I am a mouth breather, and had a very dry mouth. I thought my tongue was larger than life, but splashing water into my mouth gave me great relief. I was up and walking the halls, Monday night at midnight. The policy is that PT assesses before walking. Oops I was up 3 times walking before they came by.

Tuesday I was on clear liquids. Wednesday morning the doctor came in told me that he heard I was doing rather well and that I could go home after eating breakfast or lunch. A full liquid diet. I was home by 1:30 PM. Less than 60 hours in the hospital.

Recovery has gone good, I think, my bowels moved on Friday morning. I have been out walking the mall and the streets on Saturday and Sunday. I go Tuesday for the leak test, and drain removal. My Doctor has just changed his procedure on the leak test. I am not sure why. But I know that he is the best in the area and that has corrected many surgeries other doctors have messed up.
Closed Thread