Jennifer 3FC
11-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Green Beans and Yellow Peppers

3/4 pound fresh green beans
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

Cut off ends of green beans and slice in half crosswise. Slice the bell pepper in half and remove seeds. Slice bell pepper into 1/4-inch slices and then cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat the water and beans to boiling in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Reduced heat, cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain excess water. Add the bell pepper and oil and heat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry about 2 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in marjoram and serve.

Makes 4-6 Servings
Serving Size: 6 ounces

Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 54
Total fat: 4 grams
Saturated fat: trace
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 4 mg
Carbohydrate: 6 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Dietary fiber: 2 grams

Jennifer 3FC
11-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Green Beans with Walnuts
2 ˝ lbs. trimmed green beans
olive oil, as needed
1/4 oz minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock, hot
salt and pepper, as needed.
1 oz walnut oil
2 T chopped toasted walnuts
2 teaspoon minced chives

Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the green beans in an even layer and add the hot stock and salt and pepper. Return to a simmer.
Cover the pan and steam beans until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain any excess cooking liquid. Toss the green beans with walnut oil, walnuts and chives.

Jennifer 3FC
11-16-2003, 12:24 PM
String Beans Sesame

1 lb young string beans, washed
4 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon Splenda
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions:
1. Toss beans in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Wait for reboil, and cook beans for 5 minutes.
2. Pour into a colander and rinse under cold water; drain well.
3. Place beans in shallow bowl.
4. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over string beans. Marinate for at least 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Serve at room temperature.

lizziness
02-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Balsamic Green Beans

1 can green beans (i prefer the french cut)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
sprinkle of garlic powder

I am a truly lazy cook. I came up with this one while dieting because I bought a case of green beans at Costco and couldn't stand to eat them any longer by themselves. I toss the green beans in a microwave safe bowl, toss with the balsamic and garlic and nuke it in the microwave under the "veggie" button.