Carb Counters - What is on your wishlist for XMAS?

Kim in NJ
11-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Since I do like pratical gifts.....I am at a loss for something more personal. DH asked me what I would want and I told him new bath towels :^: But he wants to get me something more personal.

Any ideas for something that would seem personal to him - but not a waste of $ - or extravagent gift to me????

I thought about a pretty ring....but do you know how many bath towels you can buy with the same $ as a ring???? You could get a bath mat TOO!!!! :lol:

jdoggmartin
11-04-2003, 01:56 PM
You are SO practical, Kim!! Jewelry is always a good, in my opinion! Here's an idea... Maybe some type of picture or saying to go on the wall. He could make it personal by enlarging a favorite photo and putting it in a nice frame or finding a framed saying or poem about how he feels about you... But, you could still get a somewhat practical benefit out of it because it decorates the house??? Just an idea (And, I'm not sure it's a good one, but I tried. I personally never go the practical route!!!)

Jina

StarPrincess
11-04-2003, 01:56 PM
OMG Kim! I'm laughing to death over here! Bath towels??? I think a little impracticality is good. Gifts should be memorable, not practical. I don't remember who gave me an ironing board or when, but I'll always remember the person who gave me the hippo with it's mouth wide open and a purple fuzzy tiara on top. And I'll always remember where we were physically, and in our lives when that happened.

I think gifts should be an expression. I know that I'm not exactly the reasonable one in the group, but I guess I'd rather have the stories and the memories. So my advice, let him get you whatever! If you have to set a $$ limit, fine. The point is to do it. Get a piece of jewelry, go to Hawaii, have a candle-lit dinner at McDonald's, for God's sake, but live a little! :D

Froufy
11-04-2003, 02:09 PM
...but other jewellery works as well - how about a new fancy watch: both practical and sentimental? or any other jewellery or ear rings?

If you want really impractical - a night at a local hotel (sans kiddies) or how about a framed family portrait?

If you want him to "work hard"...how about that "101 reasons why I love you"....on computer (ivory paper) then professionally framed so you can look at it all the time!

A day at the spa, or facial or manicure or pedicure is also a nice splurge...maybe a massage!

Froufie:D

StarPrincess
11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Ok, this has nothing to do with practicality or WOEs, but I'm recommeding to everyone to buy, check-out , or borrow "The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love". It's good for lots of calorie-burning laughs, and also has great ways to embrace the outrageous (generally at no cost to you). ;)

Sonnet
11-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Kim! You sound just like me! LOL I would want the towels too, but add a nice bath robe, nightie, a sheet set and a new blanket or down comforter too! LOL I have one pair of earrings. I only have one pair of ears! LOL Maybe he'll put the ring on the pillow! Barbie

PS I haven't thought of Christmas until today. It's really getting cold!

barbmarie
11-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Hmmmmm
I love gadgets. I pretty much have them all though. Will have to check out the stores and see if there is anything new with more bells and whistles. Maybe a new palm pilot? I just purchased Calorie King and use it to journal my food. My old one could be handed down to my daughter.

Jewelry used to be on my list often too. But now I agree with Kim,, you know how many pairs of shoes you can get for the kids with 1 tennis bracelet? I can't enjoy stuff like that anymore, too much guilt, lol.

Barb

Leenie
11-05-2003, 10:29 AM
How about him treating you to a spa ? for a facial, manicure peticure etc....

I would tell hubby to clean the house from top to bottom HAA!

KarenW
11-05-2003, 11:09 AM
I like the Family portrait Idea.. or jewelry. I can be practical sometimes too though.. I asked DH for an MP3 Player with one of those arm bands to take to the gym with me for my anniversary... and I got it! And I do love it... Just me and Bon Jovi! :) LOL!

How about a spa day or a full massage... not too extravagant but yet personal and pampering.

or even a evening at the movies with friends... Mom's night out! We all need that once in a while! That is for sure!! :):)

kfs151
11-05-2003, 12:50 PM
I vote for the MP3 player too. I've had one for a year or so but just got the new iPod and loaded it up with all my music and audio books. The only way I can make it for 60 minutes on the elliptical is to set up a playlist of fast-paced music and crank the volume!

Of course, jewelry never loses it's appeal ;)

Kim in NJ
11-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Ah - there are others like me...pratical! :D
I'm with Barb - I just can't enjoy that stuff anymore with all the other things I could use for my family.

A day of pampering, jewlery, flowers etc. are all things that would kill me because of the waste of money. And I don't think I would use an MP3 player - yet! We have a great Christian radio station here in NJ and I listen to it all day and it comes in so clear - and no commercials! Since it's all my favorites, I find myself not listening to any CD's anymore.

BUT - I THOUGHT OF SOMETHING JUST NOW. See he is a stay at home dad so he already cleans the house...but he is an artist and now they Isabel is 1 yr old, I think I'm going to ask him to do a pencil sketch of both my girls (head shots) to be framed. No money - just his talent and hard work. OH I REALLY LIKE this idea....gonna call him right now!!!!!

StarPrincess
11-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Kim - that's a great idea! I like it much better than bath towels :lol:

Of course, with some of that DaVinci German Chocolate syrup and some whipped cream, maybe those bath towels could turn into a good gift after all......:s:

Don't they always say "it's all in the presentation"? ;)

Lekker
11-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Kim, the pencil sketch sounds like a great idea!

However, I feel the same as you when it comes to practical gifts. I often assess gifts on their level of usefulness. It always makes me shake my head when people give me gifts that are just 'trinket'-like things that you just 'set' somewhere and never move again.

One odd thing that does irritate me, and I may be the only one for whom this is true, are cards along with the presents. Whenever I buy someone a gift, I never give them a card because I feel like it's a waste of paper! :) So when I receive cards, I always feel bad for the environment, especially if there's nothing written in the card except the person's name!

I thought it was hilariously sad when a friend of mine sent me a Christmas card while I was living in Europe and the only thing on the card was her name! The thought was nice and all, but I wondered at the practicality of sending a nearly blank card overseas! If there was a letter included, it would make sense!

But for me, when people ask what I would like that's more personal, I always say 'get me a gift certificate to the book store' or 'get me a book' (which, admittedly these don't sound like very personal ideas, but hey ...). And for some reason, which I have yet to figure out, I *never* get a book or a gift certificate. Never! Does everyone think I'm lying when I say that's what I want? :) Do they not know how much bliss I would get from wandering around a book store with a gift certificate in my hand, knowing that I can pick out *any* book I want and it won't cost me a *thing*?! :)

Boy, now I feel like going to the bookstore ... Chapters, here I come!

Jamlinrich
11-06-2003, 04:38 AM
Star!! I have all the Sweet potato queens Books. In fact, not long ago I bought my own tiara!! Tee hee. I think these ladies would love the books. We are so queen material!

StarPrincess
11-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Jamie - I can one up you. :s: I have a tiara and several of my friends do, too. So once every few months, we don our tiaras and head out. We'll go shopping, to the movies, to lunch - whatever we want. It's great how people react to a group of women wearing tiaras. :lol:

Froufy
11-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Wow I don't think I've ever known anyone that owns their own tiara! We need to see a pic of you wearing it now!

So do you wear it around town? with your jeans/t-shirts? Or does wearing a tiara mean you need to dress up?

If it gets you better service I'm all for it...but don't you need to take it off at the movies - so the person behind you can see? :):)

Froufy

StarPrincess
11-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I'll be sure to get a picture of me in my tiara and stick it on here. I wear it pretty much with whatever I feel like - sometimes dressy, sometimes not. Heck, sometimes I even wear it when I'm cleaning for that extra boost! And I do leave it on during movies! I'm only 5'3" and the theaters I go to have stadium seating. Besides, who's gonna dare ask us to take them off? :lol:

Froufy
11-06-2003, 02:49 PM
That is too funny - I suppose you're right - the "humble masses" may assume you are some kind of royalty and would never dare approach you, let alone speak to you without permission.

Just swat them with your tiara if they do! ha ha

Froufy

StarPrincess
11-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Now you've got the idea! The other highlight of going out with tiara is the marked increase in chivalry. Doors fly open, chairs are pulled out (even at work!), trinkets are purchased. I actually had a very amusing man lay his coat over what could have been a puddle but was actually just a damp spot on the street, lay his little ol' body down and then had me walk on him!!! It's was absolutely hysterical.

Really, get the book and discover your inner queen. :queen:

Jamlinrich
11-06-2003, 03:19 PM
That's the thing! I wish more of my female friends would be confident enough to do that. That's the one thing I'd wish for for X-mas, to have at least one girls out a night a month for the next year. I miss having a posse. Especially working with all men. They are just so different then us. I love being a woman! Maybe we'll get the rest of you tiaras someday. For my 30th B-day I think I'm going to dress up in my comfiest jammiest and slippers and tiara and go to the movies!!! Anyone want to come? We could go out to the steakhouse afterwards!

jdoggmartin
11-06-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to wear a tiara, either. :( Maybe this book would help me with that??? This pj, slipper and tiara movie-going sounds great! We would be a group to reckon with! Let's do it!! :D

Jina

Kim in NJ
11-06-2003, 05:19 PM
My tiara better be made of cubic zirconia!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

StarPrincess
11-06-2003, 05:21 PM
LOL, Kim! You crack me up! (I'll just send you one of mine - I have several) :D

SuperGrlRulesDaWorld
11-07-2003, 12:06 AM
My ultimate xmas gift would be the ability to fit comfy into a size 10 by xmas day. I'm working on that one...;)

Really I think I just want to get my tattoo touched up before I lose much more weight. That's the one time you want extra padding!!! :) Also thinking a fun, dress up dinner with my friends (with the allowance to act silly and un-adult) would be divine...

StarPrincess
11-07-2003, 01:03 AM
I am so there for all the dress up and tiara events! Now I'm all excited :goodvibes

SuperGrl - that was too funny. I read your post and then your stats at the bottom and thought to myself "gee...that sounds so much like Jennalyn" and I was right!!! :lol: So glad to have you here! These people are great!

Jamlinrich
11-07-2003, 03:17 AM
Jennalyn, would you recommend that to someone just starting? To keep track of inches? Is that where you saw more difference than the weight? I never even thought of it. I should do that.
THanks.

SuperGrlRulesDaWorld
11-07-2003, 11:13 PM
I would certainly recommend keeping track of inches. I am the kind of her who tends to get obsessed over little things, like weighing myself. Prior to atkins, I had not weighed myself in over 3 years. I closed my eyes at the doctor's office. I refused to even peek. All the nurses knew better than to even repeat the number under their breath. It was bad. And for good reason. I knew that if I knew my weight just once, I would buy a scale. And then I would weigh myself a million times a day, and in turn, I would stop eating because I didn't like what I saw. I decided after watching Star shrink so quickly, I decided to find out my weight at the doctor's office. UGH!!! When I started Atkins, I managed to go the first three weeks without a scale. I was out shopping one day and found myself wandering thru the bathroom section and ultimately on a scale. What a shock and surprise. Ten nasty unslightly pounds gone. I bought the scale. I've been doing really well, I think on a daily average I weigh myself 6 times. But discouragement soon set in. I am a perfectionist and the weight wasn't (and still isn't) coming off as fast as I want(ed) it to. I was getting very bummed about my progress. Star brought over a few pairs of jeans she was too small for when I first started to notice the lost inches. All of a sudden, I had a waist again. An honest to gawd WAIST. And then I noticed my lack of tush. And it seemed that none of my bras seemed to fit anymore. Even when I'd go two weeks without my weight changing, I swear to you, I was losing inches. And that's why I kick myself. I would love to know how many inches I have widdled off my waist, butt and chest. I know that I went from a size 40FF bra down to a svelte (lol) ;)36DDD. Keep track of inches, trust me, they are just as much or even more so inspiring than actual pounds. Good Luck!!!!! :D

Sonnet
11-07-2003, 11:21 PM
I've been thinking of what I would want for Christmas. I'm 45, and I want a puppy. LOL I have a 13 year old and a one year old dog. I just want a puppy for my young dog to play with. Puppies are practical if you're over 40, right? LOL Barbie

KarenW
11-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Jennalynn - AMEN to the bra sizes going down! :) I just replaced my bras.. I was at my highest weight a 44FF (I know I know!) and recently bought 40D. :) I measure as a 38D but the 38's were just a little too snug when I tried them on. I was seeing pillows on the top and they showed through my clothes.. not my idea of attractive! LOL! So even though these are a little bigger than what I measure, I love the new look! :)

SuperGrlRulesDaWorld
11-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Karen,

I'm so excited for you! I have to admit I was highly disappointed at such a sudden loss, but I started to realize that none of my shirts gapped open anymore. I could button coats. And I barely have to lean to see my feet!!!! Those are the sorts of things that bring a smile to my face. I'm learning that I can still be sexy and attractive with slightly smaller boobs. LOL I've been reading your posts and I think you are doing such a great job! It's so inspiring to read what's going on with others, and know that there really is support for what we decide to do. I just noticed that we started on the same day, and you're down 10 pounds more than I am!!!! Jealous now....;) hehehe

Jamlinrich
11-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Jennalyn! Talk about inspiration. You are 184 and a size 14. That gives me such hope!!! I'm a size 20 now at 192 and I sometimes feel so low. I know the number doesn't matter but somehow being a size 20 really makes me depressed. I don't mean this badly but I never ever thought I'd let myself get this big and it hurts my heart to know that I am. It makes me excited to think that you are at a size 14 at 184. I don't think I will be. I think because of my body shape it will be 18 or 16 but I'll take it.
I just want you to know that you kick total butt!! You and Karen both do. You guys are total inspiration for me.

KarenW
11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Jennalyn - dont be jealous! You started 20 pounds heavier than I! So you have actually lost 10 pounds more than me in the scheme of things! :)

I know what youu mean about the sudden loss. IT was scarry at first, but I love being able to wear styles that I couldnt before and to see my feet! I know that one well! :)

JAmie - I know what you mean about hte hurt heart! ME TOO! But we are doing something about it now and just think about how selte we will be in a few months! :)

SuperGrlRulesDaWorld
11-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks everyone! Things have been a little less than easy over the last few days, and it really helps to come here and get so much support! Most days, I can't see ANY difference, I get very discouraged because of it, and I want the weight off NOW!!! Hehehe...I am learning not to get hung up on sizes, or weight or anything like that. It's about how you feel inside. Knowing that you are shrinking, knowing that you are getting healthier with every bite you take, that's what I want to focus on. Each and everyone of you are a good inspiration to me, and you keep me honest! Thanks for everything!

KarenW
11-14-2003, 11:18 AM
OK.. I have another Reward Idea for me.. Actually my kids thought it up! :)

I LOVE Bon Jovi.. and so do my kids. We listen to them in my van every day. Well.. my van has those "new car" frames around the plates.. and DH has been after me to get rid of them.. but he wants to get just plain ones.. that is OK for the front.. but for the back I want something that says something! LOL!

So we came up with this:

On the top of the plate:

Not Old, Just Older

(One of my favorite BJ songs and the name of a BJ chat list I am on of "older" fans")

On the bottom: