Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 12:23 PM   #1  

Anyone have any experience using personal fitness trainers? They're expensive, my gym has some on staff. I'm wonder if they're useful, or if they just make exercising more a matter of guilt and stress, or what? And what happens after you stop using them? I'm afraid I'll be real successful while working with one, and then lose the ability to motivate myself without one.

I'm about -- well, according to the charts, about 40 pounds overweight. My real goal at the moment is getting in better shape. I'd like to take an 'active' vacation this summer -- rock climbing, hiking, river-rafting, etc. I've done those for a day here, or a day there, but that was when I was in better shape, able to run 5 miles at a stretch. I've lost that ability now, I'm sure. But I'd love to spend, say, 12 weeks to get in better shape, so I can enjoy an active vacation. (And if I lost weight too, that'd be great! I am trying to eat healthy.)

So anyone have any insights they can offer me?
Old 03-22-2001, 03:08 PM   #2  
REC

I see so many BAD trainers at my gym. They look bored while their clients are busily doing their exercises wrong.

I specifically picked my trainer because of his knowlege, intelligence and his desire to make sure we did things properly. I liked the way he interacted with his clients.

Honestly, I could read a book and get a basic routine down fine. And, I don't need anyone to tell me I can do one more rep because I would just do it fine without him. But he helps me with nutrition, alternative exercises when I'm hurting, recommending new ways to change my training program, etc. He's also a set of eyes behind my head to help me make sure I'm doing proper form (I always strive for that, but sometimes I'm off.) He's expensive, though, but because of his extensive knoweldge, I've learned a lot.

I think it's like WW. Sure they're there to help, but the real motivation needs to come from within. WW, though, did help me get my internal motivation kick started. I was motivated to ST, trainer or not, but do belive that I'm a better trained person with his information.

BTW--I started about 40 pounds overweight also. Lost 30 so far with ST and walking and WW.
Closed Thread