South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #1  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Promises we make...

Last weekend I made a promise to myself that starting this week I would start and maintain an exercise routine.
So as I was drinking my coffee this morning I started to think (I know, it's scary ), why is it that we make promises to our family and friends that we would NEVER think of breaking? Yet, we constantly break promises that we made to ourselves?
Isn't giving our word to ourselves just as important as giving it to a friend? I would never think of breaking a promise that I made to somebody else.

Why do we do this???

What promise have you made to yourself that you are not keeping???

I am now on my way downstairs to ride that bike, as promised, because I owe it to myself.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 AM   #2  
Work in Progress

ah Sill,
when we can answer those questions i think that we will have found the meaning of life for us types!!!

Good for you for keeping your promise to yourself....it is inspiring...

rb
Old 10-27-2003, 12:46 PM   #3  
Imagine...

Excellent question...when you find out the answer please let me know as I am the same way.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It may be because we don't feel we are as important as the rest of the family. I am really going to think about this, Sil. Thanks for posting. It's very appropriate at this point in my life.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:09 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

I know what it is in MY case, Sil! I'm just damned lazy!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #6  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I agree with ALL of you!! Sometimes i think I'm not worth it. HONESTLY, sometimes I'm lazy too!!! GOOD question Sil, this is something that a lot of us here have problems with. I've been breaking ALL my promises to myself lately, and feeling pretty lousy because of it.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #7  
In Control: E+R=O

Good message sil!! I know I do that to myself all the time, and like others have said, it's partly because I'm lazy and partly because I don't consider myself as important as others that I make promises to. It's good to remind ourselves that we are important, that we need to take care of ourselves, and that we need to make ourselves and our health a priority. We need to love ourselves enough to treat ourselves as well as we treat other people. I'm so glad you posted this, I needed to think about this today!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:35 AM   #8  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Very good point, Sil. I think it goes back to our feelings of self-worth...we often times treat ourselves poorly! I know there have been times in my life that I have said things to myself that I would NEVER say or think about a friend! Cruel, mean spirited things...yet we all do it to some extent or another.

Breaking promises we make to ourselves is just another example of that. And if a friend did break a promise for a good reason, what would we do? Probably forgive them, and say "That's okay, I know you tried!" But when we do break a promise to ourselves, even with a good reason, what do we do? Berate ourselves and see that as just one more sign that we aren't worthy!

Definately some food for thought! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 AM   #9  
Mous

Promises are made to be broken.

How many times have we heard this?

If I don't make a promise then I can't break it!

Marcie
Closed Thread