Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 11:30 PM   #1  

Default Wanted: Portable Veggies

My downfall is the servings of veggies I'm supposed
to eat in the middle of the day.

Do you guys have any suggestions on Very Portable Veggies?

My jobs's demanding and I'm pretty much driving around all day- sometimes not a chance to stop- so I need something I can eat easily
while driving- finger food.

PS If I see another baby carrot or grape
tomato I will cry.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #2  
Om shanti

You can't beat crudité for portability. So the next step in variety with respect to veggies is to give up a little portability. I typically have something with me at work, whether it be my homemade three bean salad, or cole slaw -- good, healthy stuff, but it does require pulling off to the side of the road to eat.

Another approach is to take the crudité elements and consider changing their typical taste. Consider pickling. Alton Brown has done a great firecracker baby carrots recipe.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #3  

Bicker...Please tell me what is crudite?..Also could you PLEASE post your three bean salad recipe for us?...I need more alternatives verses the whole grains for fiber! Thanks! Kim in NC
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Eat them as a side dish for your lunch.

Drink a small can of V8 low-sodium. You really need the fiber & volume of a real veggie, but this will do in a pinch.

Salad for lunch (boring after awhile I know).

Take a whole cucumber & cut it up for your snack on your break.

Where I live, they sell broccoli/cauliflower already cut up for you in bags. It's about $3/bag, but worth it b/c you don't have to clean or chop it.

Good luck & congrats on being a good veggie eater.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:27 AM   #5  
Om shanti

Crudité is the collective word for crisp seasonal vegetables, often including tri-color peppers, broccoli, carrot sticks, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, sweet potatoes sticks, etc.

Three Bean Salad.

Ah.

Well, to be fair, I've changed it so many times that it technically isn't any longer.

Anyway.

Cut up two big red peppers and a green one. (I often in yellow and orange too, for color.) Finely mince (I use a mandolin on the finest setting) one large sweet onion (or two medium ones). Chop a big red onion into pieces the same size as the peppers. Strain two cans of black beans, four cans of green beans (kitchen cut are good; french cut are bad), and one small can of corn. Combine with the onions and peppers. Mix. Pour on 1-3 teaspoons of Splenda (depending on how sweet the peppers are), 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup of low-fat Italian Dressing. I often put in some rice wine vinegar too, to provide a little more kick. Salt and pepper to taste.

This time I packaged it up into 1-1/4 cup containers and got about eight or nine of them I think. They run about 110 calories each.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #6  

Thanks Brian...Man that sounds good!!..I will be making it very soon!...Never heard of rice wine vinegar..suppose I can purchase at regular grocery store?

Can't wait to try this with some baked chicken!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:44 AM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

You can make your own "veggie" finger foods beforehand and incorporate whatever you want.

The easiest way i can think of is to do roll-ups (leaf of a green wrapped around some other veggie--maybe grilled peppers or mushroom), and hold it together with toothpicks & just store in tupperware. Should be easy grabbin' and snackin'.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:46 AM   #8  
Om shanti

The rice wine vinegar is completely optional. It doesn't really make much difference, to be honest.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:53 PM   #9  
missaprylj

I like raw green beans. Also, wraping sandwiches or tacos in cabbage leaves is tasty.

Closed Thread