PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 03:16 AM   #1  
Rattie Lover

Default Rogaine & Hair?

Been meaning to ask you girls...

Have any of you tried (or have a husband that has) tried the Rogaine stuff to re-grow hair? My Dr. told me she has had some of her PCOS patients have success with it...but me being the skeptic wanted to ask the girls!! I would really like to see if I could get these 2 areas where the hair recieded to grow back again. I can cover it up with other hair (Since my hair is THICKER than a tree anyhow) but I would rather have some real hair there if you get my drift. Any info appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #2  

I've had great results with a combination of Rogaine 5% and Spironolactone, taken as a testosterone blocker. I had a receding hairline, thinning, and a bald spot just like a guy, and it's gone now. Took six months to get the whole area covered, though.

I use it twice a day without fail, just as it says on the package. It's a little greasy, and it permanently stains my pillowcases, but that's a small price to pay. It also made my scalp a bit flaky and itchy at first, but that seems to be goiing away.

And I have hair on my head-- gosh, what a relief! I'd say check with your doctor, and if s/he's o.k. with it, give the Rogaine a try. You have to be persistent, though. It might take a month or three before you see results.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:18 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekInnerThinChick
I've had great results with a combination of Rogaine 5% and Spironolactone, taken as a testosterone blocker. I had a receding hairline, thinning, and a bald spot just like a guy, and it's gone now. Took six months to get the whole area covered, though.

I use it twice a day without fail, just as it says on the package. It's a little greasy, and it permanently stains my pillowcases, but that's a small price to pay. It also made my scalp a bit flaky and itchy at first, but that seems to be goiing away.

And I have hair on my head-- gosh, what a relief! I'd say check with your doctor, and if s/he's o.k. with it, give the Rogaine a try. You have to be persistent, though. It might take a month or three before you see results.

Wow...thanks for the info!! Can you use like the Wal-Mart version of Rogaine or should it be the real Rogaine brand?? Do you need a prescription of the Spironolactone?? If so I will ask my Endo. for one. Thank you again!!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

I think you do need a prescription for Spiro....not sure about the Rogaine/WalMart question!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #5  

I've used both the generic and regular Rogaine, either works. But, and it's a big but (like mine), it won't work for everyone and some sources I've read don't recommend the 5% version for women who might become pregnant. Since I'm 47 and essentially sterile, that's not a problem for me.

Spiro is also not a slam dunk. It's a diuretic, and can upset your fluid balance and potassium balance. You must, must drink a lot more water with it, like several liters a day, and get a blood test every three months to check your system, especially kidney function. Some people can get very dizzy and faint with Spiro, as it reduces your blood volume, as if you were sweating a lot on a hot day. I personally would think twice about using it if I lived in a hot climate. And there are some women with hair loss who take Spiro, only to see it make the hair loss worse! Go figure. Each person's reaction is individual-- mine was very specifically due to the testosterone problem. If your PCO has a different profile, your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, I'd say do some research, and consult a doctor who is familiar with these problems. In fact I'd first go to a good dermatologist who is interested in balding. Mine is a researcher in the field, so she knew the latest trends in treatment. Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2004, 05:09 PM   #6  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekInnerThinChick
I've used both the generic and regular Rogaine, either works. But, and it's a big but (like mine), it won't work for everyone and some sources I've read don't recommend the 5% version for women who might become pregnant. Since I'm 47 and essentially sterile, that's not a problem for me.

Spiro is also not a slam dunk. It's a diuretic, and can upset your fluid balance and potassium balance. You must, must drink a lot more water with it, like several liters a day, and get a blood test every three months to check your system, especially kidney function. Some people can get very dizzy and faint with Spiro, as it reduces your blood volume, as if you were sweating a lot on a hot day. I personally would think twice about using it if I lived in a hot climate. And there are some women with hair loss who take Spiro, only to see it make the hair loss worse! Go figure. Each person's reaction is individual-- mine was very specifically due to the testosterone problem. If your PCO has a different profile, your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, I'd say do some research, and consult a doctor who is familiar with these problems. In fact I'd first go to a good dermatologist who is interested in balding. Mine is a researcher in the field, so she knew the latest trends in treatment. Good Luck!

Wow. Thanks for the info. I live in a hot climate but I drink almost a gallon of water a day... I will ask my Endo. about it. I have the elevated testostrone problem too. It sucks!! She had put me on Yasmine to try and get things straightened out but the Yasmine did not agree with me. I'm not going to have any more kids (Hysterectomy last June) so I'll give the 5% a try. Well after I speak with the Dr. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 AM   #7  
Rattie Lover

I forgot to ask you..Do you use the womens Rogaine or the mens Rogaine?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #8  

You are very welcome, Noodles! Thanks for posting the sticky essay on PCOS and androgens, it was very illuminating for me. I did have an idea for you. It seems to me that the one good thing about testosterone is, it makes weightlifting and packing on muscle easier, almost too easy in my case. I've spent the last two years building up my fitness, and you can see just looking at me that I have a LOT of muscle.

And that seems to make my weight loss, which I just started seriously this Jan. 1, much easier, because as you know, muscle burns calories even at rest. So for the first three weeks of my new eating plan, I've lost 5 pounds or 1.6 lbs. per week, almost like a "normal" woman would. I just hope that continues!

I'm not saying drugs for insulin resistance aren't the way to go, I'm sure they are for many PCOS women. But personally, if I have to bulk up a little to lose fat, hey, that's a tradeoff I can live with. It would be nice if putting on muscle "burned up" the extra testosterone, too, but I suppose that's asking too much, lol!
Old 01-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #9  
Rattie Lover

Hey that explains why my legs always stay in shape if I keep up with things. I went roller skating last night for 2 hour non-stop, and my other workouts must be doing something cause I am not sore today....Only thing that hurts is my blisters from having not skated since before surgery. But that's changing. I'll probably go back into dance lessons here real soon. Helps the weight stay off when I skate alot and it's probably my favorite exercise all around.
Closed Thread