Carb Counters - Weekly Chat - Oct 20 -26, 2003

View Full Version : Weekly Chat - Oct 20 -26, 2003

Froufy
10-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Well my turn to get the week started! I am at work - where I don't want to be. I am nervous and apprehensive as to what might happen here this week.

Eldest son (the TEENAGER) causing us some grief (not unusual) and this is stressing everyone out. Not much sleep last night, so I'm here with puffy tired eyes, and not much energy.

Trying to sell my old van...so far not too many bites, but one call today. Have to go get a "safety check" done tonite..hopefully this will be it and I can sell the old car and get my new MPV into the garage as the snow will soon be here!

Brought a bunch of food to work today to stock up fridge: package of mozarella cheese slices, lc cold cuts, sf jello, a slice of lc bread and some atkins banana nut muffins.

My official weigh in was this morning.....looks like I"m down to about 187 (give or take a few ounces:D ) so that's what I"m counting.....I think that's at least two pounds down from last week? (don't remember). Next week is my 5 months Atkins anniversary...would love to get closer to 35 lbs! Also lost a few more inches (I only measure around once every 4-6 weeks).

Yesterday went to visit MIL and cleaned out some of my closet...brought her some of my "fatter" clothes. It was great getting rid of them and now at least I can have a clearer picture of what is in there.

Also bought a new shirt on the weekend - man style button down oxford cloth in baby blue ($19.99) in XL...still a bit tight, but I'm keeping it and hope to eventually fit into it!;)

How is everyone else's Monday shaping up?

Froufy:cool:

Leenie
10-20-2003, 10:21 AM
:wave:

jdoggmartin
10-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Happy Monday, all! (Is there such thing as a "happy Monday"? :))

I hope everyone had a great weekend! This is amazing for me... I went home to visit my family, and I stayed perfectly on track! Usually, going home turns into an eating disaster. I never got to 20 carbs any day of the weekend, and my parents and brother were very supportive of my efforts and went out of their way to make sure I stuck to it!

Tonight, I weigh in at TOPS. Hopefully, I'll have a loss to report!

Take care,
Jina

jane8760
10-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Morning everyone. It is freezing here in MA today! This is the first truely cold day so my blood hasn't thickened up yet and I am sitting here at work freezing my butt off.

This weekend was fine food wise but yet again more alcohol than I should have. But I weighed in this morning and I am the same so that is great. That makes last week a total of 2 pounds. I have been going down consistantly 1 1/2 - 2 each week since I started. At this rate I could be down another 10 by Thanksgiving. That would be great.
I tried on some old jeans this weekend because the ones I am wearing now are FINALLY a little big. The old ones I still can't wear but they are getting closer!:D
I am going to go out and buy a cheap pair somewhere to get by until I fit into the old (skinny) jeans.

I have to get prepared for next week...I am having surgery on Monday and will be home out of work for 1 week. I don't want to sit in bed and munch my way through the day. I will be on percocet so I don't think I will have much of an appetite. I plan on having lots of cheese in the house for snack time. I tend to drink diet soda when I am home so I will have to watch that. Lying in bed all day drinking that will not be good :o

I will make sure I have my water bottle with me at all times. I am not looking forward to the discomfort after the surgery but I am looking forward to parkin my @$$ in bed and watching HGTV all day! Carol Duvall here I come!

Weird thing....I have ketosis breath wicked today. I haven't had that in a long time. Does it come back once in a while? Let's hope the headache doesn't make a comeback! That I could definitely do without.

Hope you all have a great day. Talk later.

jdoggmartin : good for you staying OP. This WOE makes it very easy to stay on track no matter what is going on.

Froufy: Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope things settle down for you soon. Congrats on the weigh in:cp:

Leens: :wave: back

StorybookMama
10-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Morning all!

It's Monday, I'm at work.

Haven't felt well this morning and need to eat, but have no desire to. *sigh*

Scale wasn't down this morning either and ketostix registered barely pink. Last night it was purple.... I am currently experimenting with them so you'll have to bear with me.

I know from experience that my blood sugar is always way high first thing in the morning - it was that way when pg and afterwards so I wasn't overly surprised that the color changed for the morning. It doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat, I have high blood sugar in the mornings.... I'm going to give myself a few more weeks on Atkins and then I'm going to start testing my sugars again to see how it goes. Not diabetic - but I was while pg. Had to inject more insulin in the mornings but that still didn't help much.

Getting frustrated a bit - but am not giving up. I haven't felt this good in ages - just wish the scale would budge a bit more and a bit faster.

With all the rain we've been having, I'm going to have to get my exercise running up and down the stairs. :lol:

Reread parts of the book over the weekend. That helped a bit to keep me goal oriented. I think I should really look into getting some probiotics, too, to counteract any yeast overgrowth I might have.

Do you think Dr. Atkins ever ate dessert made with real sugar?

:o

Have a great week everyone!!

KarenW
10-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Good morning!

I am back in the saddle with exercise! Walked for 45 minutes on the treadmill yesterday and then just got back from the gym just now. So I am feeling GREAT!

I am also down another pound this week! WOO HOO! 20.5 pounds in 11 weeks! :):)

Storybook Mama - funny you should mention yeast.. I am dealing with a doozy of an infection right now. The OB?GYN is giving it great guns with 3 doses of Diflucan spaced 3 days apart (Today is number 2) and a Prescritpion strength suppository for 7 days. She said the diet in my case was not the issue and to keep eating as low carb as I can for the next few weeks. Not a problem there!! LOL!!

any way.. I just wanted to check in.. I NEED to take a shower!

StorybookMama
10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Karen,

DEFINITELY get yourself to a healthfood store and get some fresh acidophilus. This was the only thing out there that cured me of Thrush (yeast!) while I was nursing - it has to be refrigerated though so don't buy it if it isn't in the fridge case there.

KarenW
10-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Hmm.. I might have to do that.. I am feeling a lot better, but just in case...

StarPrincess
10-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Happy Monday, everyone! Had a great weekend. Hubby and I went crabbing on Friday, so now I have lots of fresh, low carb food :) It's nice to get away from my standard sources of protein once in a while.

I'm almost to my 40 pound mark! Yippee! I have 30 left to go, but getting over that halfway mark makes a world of difference. I've started challenging myself to find one new item/recipe to try each week. The variety keeps me motivated. Last night, I had a roaste piece of chicken breast topped with fresh crab meat and then covered with alfredo sauce with mushrooms, garlic, and capers. Yum!

As a little reward for myself, I was a hair model for a class of hair stylists this morning. My hair turned out great and I love that it's a style I couldn't have worn 40 pounds ago. And of course, it feels great to have a room of people looking at you and saying how great you look. Who wouldn't love that? :encore:

jdoggmartin
10-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Good morning, all!

StarPrincess: Ooh! The chicken with crab, alfredo sauce, mushrooms, capers and garlic sounds delicious! Also, crabbing sounds like fun! I love crabs! Also, how fun would that be to be a hair model?! Did you get your hair cut shorter? Also, congratulations at losing almost 40 pounds -- that's fantastic! :cb:

Karen: Great job!! You are doing so well! Also, great job on getting that exercise in. That's an area I need to work on so I'm more consistent.

Well, last night I weighed in and I stayed the same. I lost 8.5 pounds my first week on induction and then none the second week. It is close to TOM, so I'm trying not to be too disappointed. I have no idea how much TOM effects me... But, I'm hoping for a loss next week.

I tried the pork rinds with the butter and cinnamon/Spelnda mixture, and they were awesome!! I would highly recommend them! Even being the pork-rind lover that I am, I was a little weary of pig skin with butter, cinnamon and sugar -- I was afraid it would still have that "meaty" taste. But, they turned out great!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Take care,
Jina

StorybookMama
10-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Okay ladies,

I'm doing this now for going on 4 weeks. I lost 12.5 pounds in 2 weeks, gained a few back, and haven't lost any more.

What is going on here???

I like this woe, for the most part, but feel frustrated that the scale isn't moving faster.

I know exercise is key and I need to do it - so that is one thing - but apparently, I also need to count calories because I'm obviously taking in more than I am burning.

So....

My vent for the day... GO AWAY POUNDS!!!! AUGH!!!

Leenie
10-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Lisa the same happened to me. After the first couple of weeks BAM! no wl.

Bottom line for me is calories, I have to stay under 1500 to have a loss :( some days are better then others and some days I just go w/the flow. If I need more calories my body usually tells me so, and its always around the time Aunt Flo visits.

Now if I can only do that nasty thing called exercise ;)

jane8760
10-21-2003, 11:21 AM
StorybookMama

I am a slow loser myself so I can appreciate how you feel. In the first two weeks of this woe I only lost 8 pounds but actually I was thrilled with that even though I knew other people lose so much more during induction. I decided that if I was still doing Weight Watchers or something else I would have been delighted to lose that much in two weeks so I didn't get upset. I just kept going and I have consistently lost 1-2 each week since.

I am not excersing at the moment but know that I have to start. I am counting calories and try to stay within 1500 each day. I make sure my carbs do not exceed 20 each day. In fact most days they never make it over 10. Make sure you count each and every thing you put in your mouth. When I started I was using creamora in my tea each morning and didn't even think that it had carbs but it does...it has 1 gram for a tbs. I also have a soda or more each day and even though it is diet it still has .5 grams of carbs.
Check your portions. I use my food scale everyday.
You would be surprised to see just what a serving is!

Hang in there. If you follow it to the letter it will work.

Froufy
10-21-2003, 11:24 AM
After a night of thunder and lightening, we awaken to pouring rain, and lots of huge puddles..ugh!

Lisa - hang in there - don't get discouraged just yet. There may be many reasons for the holdup, but your body is still adjusting, give it time, continue what you're doing and the weight will come off. Also if TOM is involved you may just need to sit it out.

How many calories are you averaging per day/per week or past month? (If you use Fitday you can do this under reports - I think it's the one "where do your calories come from", then pull down menu for timeframe). Is there anything else you might be eating that could be holding up your progress?

If not, just be patient and I know how hard that is cuz I am the most IMPATIENT person I know!:dizzy: :dizzy:

Retaining some water today - rings are a bit tighter and scale up around .8 lbs...need to drink more today and float away (hey I'll just go stand in the rain with my mouth open..:lol: :lol: :lol: )

Actually made a salad last night to bring to work..and have a couple of "emergency" cans of tuna here which I will add.

Last night and this am I am OUT OF KETOSIS according to test sticks...not really sure why. Need to keep careful watch of extra sugar and extra carbs!!!

Froufy:cool: (don't really need the sunglasses today tho!:smug: )

StorybookMama
10-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys.

I am still in ketosis, too, which makes this even more frustrating.... but I'll stick with it.

I guess I'm going to have to get a food scale and do some damage, er - uh, portion control, too. I haven't been eating as much, but the calories are certainly denser in meat/fat.

I am going to have to give up my coffee with cream/Splenda. There are just too many carbs in it to have it the way I really like it. Won't hurt my pocketbook to give it up - except every once in a while - either. The carbs in it just put me over the top.

I'm also going to quit buying cream. I think this is part of what stalls me... though the cream (whipped or not) mixed with a little SF pudding is wonderful. I need to just avoid sweets of all kinds because even an "Okay" sweet doesn't teach me not to crave them.

So... I feel like I'm still at square one.... but thank you for the encouragement.

StarPrincess
10-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Storybook Mama - are you keeping track of your measurements? I don't know about the rest of you, but my body seems to be unable to multi-task. I'll lose weight for a couple of weeks and my inches will stay the same, then I'll seemingly "stall" for a couple of weeks, but those inches come off like crazy! That may be what's happening to you.

Also, are you getting enough fat? Dr. Atkins warned against trying to do low fat and low carb together - it can do some serious damage. I've found, that I have a harder time losing weight if I'm not getting enough fat - maybe my body thinks I'm going to starve it again? Anyway, have some bacon!!! :D

jdoggmartin - my hair was about mid-back length and all one length. Now it's layered and shoulder length around my face (and shorter!) and they gave me BANGS!!! It's a very different look for me, but it makes me feel a little like a model, so I think I like it ;)

Hope everyone's having a good day!

supersized
10-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Congrats StarPrincess! What an awesome achievement!

All of you are such inspiration to me--especially when I'm in super slow mode. I watched my new BodyFlex Plus tape this morning and will put it into action tonight. My goal is to do it twice a day.

I just had my total cholesterol checked today and I'm down from 247 (November) to 221. Both testings were non-fasting. I thought it would have been lower but am glad to see decrease non-the-less. YIPPEE!

Storybookmama, hang in there. I stalled for a long time and got very discouraged but I stuck it out and am now losing better than ever. I only lost 5 pounds in my first 2 week. UGH! Then I endulged in a little mexican food and gained some back. After I added the low carb meal bars, shakes and snacks my losses dropped even lower. I don't eat those at all anymore. I now keep my carbs around 10 most days and my calories are low as well. I haven't counted them but I'd guess they are well under 1500. I've done the Atkins fat fast a couple of times to get myself jumpstarted. I started it again yesterday. I usually lose about a pound a day on that plan. You might want to check out that section of the atkins site. It has a lot of good information on why some people are metabolically resistant. Even if you don't do the ff it offers a lot of good info. Good luck! I feel your pain.

StarPrincess
10-21-2003, 12:51 PM
You guys are right - exercise is key! The trick is to find the right amount of exercise. Working out twice a day, every day is not as likely to help you as working out every other day. Taking a break helps give your muscles a chance to recover and develop properly.

I do pilates three times a week (I'm short, so long, lean muscles are a major goal) and I also go for a jog or bike ride once or twice a week for variety. I hate jogging, but it's almost gotten me to quit smoking :)

KarenW
10-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Lisa - Dont get frustrated!! I did the same thing. Lost 8.5 pounds the first two weeks then stalled for 2, then lost .5 pounds the next 2 weeks (When I started Exercising, and then suddenly the body just kicked in! Finding exercise that works for you is key.. and remember once you start exercising , you might experence a little stall again for a couple of weeks while your body starts to build muscle, but once you have some muscle in place.. bam you will lose even faster because the muscle burns fat.

I also had a stall IMHO becasue 191 was a set point fro my body for 2-3 years. Some times it takes your body a while to realize that it can go below a certain weight that you were stuck at for a period of time. I know I have another set point around 160 because that is where I sat all through High School and College...

I make sure I do some form of cardio every day.. even if it is just 20 minutes around the block. Weights I do 3- 4 days a week alternating upper and Lower body so that the muscles get the rest they need. But for me, I have to exercise 5- 6 days a week! My body craves it even on my day off!

Exercise exercise exercise!

StorybookMama
10-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks Karen, and everyone. I'm dealing with this the best way I know how - eating what I should be eating and now crunching on some "Just the Cheese" snacks that I found at the health food store.

LOVE THESE!! I haven't had salty crunchy stuff for a month now... and boy these hit the spot.

They are prohibitively expensive, though, so this will have to be an occasional treat!!

jane8760
10-21-2003, 04:23 PM
StorybookMama

Where did you find the "Just The Cheese" snacks. I used to make my own with shredded cheese and a frying pan but I would love to find those! Easier!

StorybookMama
10-21-2003, 04:29 PM
I found these at our local health food store. They have a "keto" section with all kinds of low carb products. It's a 2 ounce bag (think small bag of fritos) and has 2 carbs for the whole bag!!

I got the Nacho Cheese flavor (YUM!) and the Honey Dijon flavor which I haven't tried yet.

They were $3 per bag!!

jane8760
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Off to the Whole Foods Market I guess!

Thanks

kfs151
10-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi All,

Mostly I've been lurking and just following along. During the week I don't get much time at my computer so I'm not a regular about posting as I should be :nono:

I'm making it to the gym 2-4 times per week and have recently switched my cardio to 45 min on the elliptical, a big step up from the treadmill for me. My eating hasn't been all it could be (mostly stupid stuff like a breadstick, etc.) but overall on OP. Weight loss is slow & steady and I can't complain. Down or steady is definitely better than up!

Storybook - another thought, how much SF/aspartame are you taking in on average? I've found "too much" aspartame would stall my weight loss even though I was in ketosis and eating OP and not to many calories and exercising!! Just a thought...

StorybookMama
10-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Kim,

I avoid Aspartame - in fact, the only thing I've had with Nutrasweet in it in the past several months was the SF pudding I had over the weekend... mixed with whipped cream, etc.

I DO however, get a LOT of Spenda in...and probably should limit that, too. I only drank ONE Diet Rite a day during the first two weeks and have been more relaxed since then.

I also have to quit coffee - it just stalls me if I drink it the way I really like it. So, coffee with cream and Splenda will have to be a weekend "Treat" for me.

Thanks - all of these thoughts are really helping me focus!!!

StarPrincess
10-21-2003, 04:58 PM
For those of you new to "Just the Cheese" -

The white cheddar and herb & garlic varities are wonderful as well. I snack on the white cheddar. I also break up the herb & garlic and use them as "croutons" on my salad. Delicious!

jdoggmartin
10-21-2003, 05:20 PM
These "Just the Cheese" things sound great! Thanks for all the info on them!

Karen: It was good to hear your story! I've been so impressed at your weight and inches lost. I lost 8.5 pounds the first week, too. The second week -- nothing. I do need to step up my exercise, so thanks for mentioning how important it is.

I, too, realized that my coffee should just be considered a "treat." And, I got a little carried away using aspartame as well. I think since I lost so much the first week I thought that these things that stall some people wouldn't effect me. Bad thinking, I know. So, hopefully, after cutting down on coffee, cream and aspartame and adding exercise, I'll be losing again.

Thanks for all the great info and tips, ladies! I learn so much here!

Take care,
Jina

Kim in NJ
10-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone :D Glad to see everyone helping each other out!

Froufy - I hope things are looking up from Monday. I am a real stress eater and that's one area I really need to beware of. So great you are giving away your clothes - great move!

Lisa - I too had GD and was on insulin from about 30 weeks on. The AM numbers are always highest in all humans because there has been no food in our system since evening of the night before. I too need to avoid sweets big time and I just stick with SF jello - that's it. As Star Princess mentioned though - have you been monitoring your measurements? I am same as her where one week I will lose lbs - but on the weeks my lb loss is minimal I really notice the rearrangement of my body and the way my clothing fits. I began in July on Atkins and in August I was a little disappointed with my loss after that first week. I began taking Co-Q10 and Acetyl L-Carnitine they seem to help me and I'm going to stick with them. Read Atkins chapter on Supplements.

Karen - I agree with Lisa on the Acidolphilus. I take it in capsule form which does not need to be refrigerated though (most do require refrigeration). I found it at GNC - called "Probiotic Acidolphilus" in a blue and white labeled bottle. I have a real problem with yeasts and molds - even though I have never had a yeast infection. My asthma is severly triggered by molds especially this time of year. Since taking the acidol. daily, I have not had any asthmatic issues this fall yet (thank God).

StarPrincess - We are experiencing the same results with Atkins and I am so happy to see that you began at 200 and are down into the 160's. That gives me so much hope!!! I began on 7/10 and am down 42 lbs. I agree with your statement on weight loss vs. inches lost. Are you lifting weights? When I've lost weight before and got down to 160, I was still in a size 14/16 - but I'm 5'5". I didn't even get the 9/10 size until getting all the way down to 140 - but I also wasn't lifting any weights - I was just doing cardio. I think your results are jus so encouraging to all of us!!!!

Jina - Oh I love my Dunkin Donuts Cafe Blend coffee....and you are right it IS a treat!!! I do have about 3 cups a day but that in itself has helped me to avoid sweets because I treat it as my dessert each night. At lunch I have SF jello and at night DD coffee! YUMMMMMMMY!!!!!

Have a great day tomorrow everyone - sorry if I missed anyone!

dinki
10-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Hi all!

I will weigh in on Thursday, I use the scale at work for my official weight. (hopital scales) I had a good start to the week I bought 2 pairs of jeans that are down 1 size. YEA

I tried a new exercise tape Pilates for Dummys which is perfect for me. It feels great to do all the stretches.

Dinki

Leenie
10-22-2003, 09:09 AM
GO DINKI GO DINKI !!!!!

Jina, coffee to me is a staple in my diet. I do drink alot of it, I just have a hard time giving it up :no: hang in there, this whole new way of eating is a learning experience.

You know girls, this word I keep seeing posted in these threads is starting to worry me. Its that nasty dirty word EXERCISE!!! I'm wondering if I should tell a moderator you guys are using it so often ?

ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :s:

Froufy
10-22-2003, 09:47 AM
I think Ex*&!ci**!se is a dirty word...ha ha. I think that is my downfall. I usually do it in spurts...a few times one week, then I slip up and make many excuses....not a good thing.

I am considering doing some weight training at home...just need to get a set of hand weights and either a good book or video and away we go....don't want to buy any major equipment tho.

Cold and sunny today....I am tired and sluggish. By the way I have NEVER experienced the energy that others have while on this diet...just an anomaly I guess. I am always tired and dragging (no my iron levels are fine and I take lots of vitamins/supplements).

Have lots of work to do in the house - very depressing as my house is a mess and I have no time to clean it (and I have 3 very messy children). DD's bat mitzvah coming up (Dec 13) and I really need to sit down and get those invitations out (doing them on my computer at home). Still gathering addresses and finalizing guest list - what a nightmare. Have to go to hotel for meal tasting for dinner (I'm sure it's not low carb..ha ha), and finalizing luncheon plans as well.

Still need to buy clothes for dd (maybe myself too?). Both boys are okay for clothes and dh just need to have suit taken in due to lc weight loss!

Just a reminder to everyone to hang in there....remember that weight loss is not linear, and you WILL NOT lose every week. Also please remember that a stall is defined as more than 4 weeks with no POUNDS OR INCHES LOST. It is normal to go a few weeks without losing any weight, and week 3 is known to be a notorious one for not losing any weight as your body adjusts. This will occur periodically.

Good luck for your weigh in Dinki....let us know the results.

As for coffee drinkers - I too refuse to give up my cream, but I do drink decaf. A few years ago I "weaned" myself off of sugar, and this is a suggestion for the splenda users. It does take time, but you can try slowly/gradually reducing the amount you use, until you use none...it can be done! Now I can't stand coffee with sweetener (unless it's iced coffee for summertime).

...and despite a serious run in with some macadamia nuts last night, I am thrilled to report I am back in KETOSIS! Scale hovering around 187.6 but that's okay. Can't inhale too much water this pm as I am in an a seminar/workshop all pm..!!

jdoggmartin
10-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Good morning, ladies! How is everyone doing? Hope all is going well in the world of Atkins.

Thanks for the advice on weaning off of sweetner, Froufy. I didn't think I could do it, but this morning, instead of my usualy two packets of sweetner, I just put in one. And, it still tasted great! Who would have guessed? I don't think I could ever drink coffee black, though. I'm always going to need to use the cream at least!

Well, today I have to go across the state for a meeting and field day. I'll have to eat supper tonight and lunch tomorrow there. It kind of scares me because I'm not sure what they'll have. I think I may be able to order my own tonight, but definitely not tomorrow. I'm figuring it will be sandwiches or barbeque -- that seems to be the standard. Whatever it is, I've got to work with it and stay on track. I haven't strayed yet, and I don't plan on it!

Have a great day!!

Take care,
Jina

StarPrincess
10-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Happy Wednesday, Everyone!!!

I'm living in the land of bizzare weather lately. Portland, Oregon is supposed to be rainy and cold by this time of the year. Yesterday, it was 81 degrees and HUMID! My hair is one giant frizz ball, but my skin feels great! :cool:

Kim - I inherited my father's football player build and muscles so I avoid lifting weights at all costs. I ride bikes, jog, walk, and most of all - practice pilates. It's doing a good job of keeping me limber and lengthening out these bulky muscles that should not be on a woman. :strong:

Froufy - thanks for the sweetener advice. The horrid thing for me is that I didn't drink coffee until about 2 weeks ago, and now I don't want to stop! :goodvibes

StorybookMama
10-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Good Morning everyone!

Starprincess - right there with you up in WET Seattle this week. This morning it is oddly warm out there - and this is supposed to be FALL!!

Had an interesting revelation last night. You know how you hear a good idea but it doesn't really sink in until you actually experience it??

Last night I was snacking on what was left of my whipped cream/SF pudding concoction before dinner. It's really too rich to eat more than a few bites at a time - I've been working on one bowl for 3 days now. Anyhow, it's obviously high fat - and once dinner rolled around, I only ate about 1/2 of what I thought I would. I just got through what I could eat and was satisfied WAY before I normally would have been.

SO, that tip about eating something fatty before dinner as an appetite suppressant???? TRUE!!! At least for me. Maybe I won't give up cream just yet - just eat less of it and before dinner (and maybe lunch, too.)

Scale hasn't budged, but I am retaining water this morning thanks to the summer sausage - so once I chug-a-lug some serious water this morning, I should at least see some progress of getting back to where I was.

No coffee for me. I gave up caffeine years ago, but really like that decaf with cream/Splenda.... So I miss that and will learn how to wean myself off the Splenda at least.

So, I did some checking because I really prefer the taste of half-and-half to heavy cream... h&h only has .2 more carbs per serving and I think is better in coffee. So, I think maybe I'll use h&h in my coffee instead.

StarPrincess
10-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Lisa - that's great! So I SHOULD eat cinnamon pork rinds before dinner! That's terribly exciting because I want them all the time. Today I'm going to tie a bag to the end of a stick and then strap the stick to my back so the bag hangs out in front of me. Maybe that will get me to go jogging! :lol:

I only go through TOM every 3 months or so (I love my BC!) and today I'm in a misery of cramps so forgive me if I'm loopy. I'm a huge wimp when it comes to pain!

angel-eyes
10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Starprincess.....really, you get TOM only every 3 months? what a treat that would be!!! My dr. just put me on bc (low dosage) to help me with my severe cramping and period woes. Lets just say having to double up on products....isn't FUN!!! anyways, its been about 10 years since I was on them last time and I've now had spotting since the 14th and my period is due to start tommorow. Again...not fun!!! The dr. said to give it another month and the spotting should stop. YUCK I SAY!!! So by the time its all said and done, I would have been using products for almost 3 weeks this month.

Froufy
10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
My TOM has been erratic at best....so far 4 cycles since starting lc. 1st month: heavier flow/longer duration, 2nd month: no period at all, 3rd month: spotting on day 16 of bc pills...then on and off til "real" TOM arrived/longer duration, 4th month heavier flow, but shorter duration (or more typical duration?).

Still have some PMS symptoms, and a need to eat anything that is not moving about 1-2 days before my period starts (and if it moves, I kill it then eat it! ha ha).

I know lc eating does wreak havoc with estrogen in fat cells which may cause strange things to happen. I have also heard that after a few months - this too shall pass!

Froufy

StorybookMama
10-22-2003, 04:33 PM
I'm currently 19 months post-partum and I've only had a period every 4-5 months or so since birth. I was nursing and pumping until a month ago, though, so I'm hoping that things start to get a little more regular.

I only had my period every 3 months when I was on the pill, too. You just skip the "down" week and start the new pack on the first day of what would have been week 4. Do this for 3 months and then "allow" yourself to have a period by doing the actual week four. I did this for YEARS and it was great.

Of course, then I went off the pill and got pregnant on purpose and now, I would NEVER go back on the pill. I feel so MUCH better without it.

StarPrincess
10-22-2003, 04:50 PM
I went off the pill a little over a year ago and switched to the patch. I LOVE IT! It's the same basic idea - 3 weeks on, one week off while replacing the patch once a week. I just don't take the week off every month. There's been research that says it's easier on our bodies not to have monthly periods and I'm game for anything that keeps that annoyance away for a little longer. ;)

LindaBC
10-22-2003, 05:21 PM
I forgot what I was going to say. :dizzy:
Nice to see this forum is so busy. Lots of good advice and handy info being spread around.
Also, nice to see several other "Wet Coasters" here. I think I'd be happy if all it gave me was frizzy hair. Unfortunately, it makes mine go flat, limp and very straight.
No more TOM problems for me but I suffered for years before finally having a partial hysterectomy. It's great not to have periods any more but I have noticed that it's harder for me to lose weight now.
Good tip about eating something high in fat before a meal. (Gosh, can't you just hear your mother hollering "Don't eat that! You'll ruin your supper!) :lol:

Lately, I've been using yogurt (making my own) as snacks instead of other foods. According to some people on another Atkins support website, a cup of yogurt has only 4 gr of usable carbs and even less if you make yo-cheese by draining off the whey. Even a half cup will tide me over the mid-afternoon hump and help prevent me from eating everything in sight before dinner. Flavored with a bit of s.f. jello powder or Crystal Lite powder and thickened with a tsp of ground flax seed, it makes a very satisfying snack. Some people are even replacing a couple of meals with a cup of yogurt mixed half n half with yo-cheese. I tried it for two days and finally broke a long-lasting stall but I just couldn't survive on only one "real" meal a day. The yogurt has the added benefits of killing off the yeasts that can cause a lot of internal problems and contribute to weight loss stalls. I realise that yogurt is not allowed on Induction, but I'm at the stage where I'm in OWL and trying to find a woe that I can live with. The addition of yogurt seems to be helping me stay OP.

StorybookMama
10-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Good tip about eating something high in fat before a meal. (Gosh, can't you just hear your mother hollering "Don't eat that! You'll ruin your supper!) :lol:

Oh my, yes, I can clearly hear her. Thankfully, she was not at home to witness this horrible infraction of dinner. :devil:

I'm going to do it again tonight and see what happens. It really only took a few bites, literally, so it's not like I'm eating a meal beforehand to fill me up. I think it just triggers that "satiety" place in my brain. :sumo:

Maybe this will help me get over this small plateau. :rollpin:

I guess I'll stop at the store and get some cream.... sigh

clynne
10-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi all you losers! (of weight)
Today is my 9th day on Atkins. I love the diet but am having trouble with having no energy. I haven't been able to figure that out yet but am reading up on it and making sure I take my vitamins.

Leenie
10-23-2003, 09:27 AM
Good Thursday Morning :D

:wave: Clynne - it gets better honest.

I am having a hard time this week w/keeping my calories where they should be. I think b/c of the seasonal change and the daylight issue, I'm starting to get depressed, this is really bad b/c it can ruin all my efforts. I'm going to wait until next week to see if I feel any better and then off to the Dr. I go... OY! Saturday I am going out to dinner w/my hubby and sister and yes, I am going to have what ever I want, this has been a planned cheat day for over a month now LOL.. maybe I'll cheer up then, maybe not ? LOL.

At least my boss is not in today :p

LindaBC, I've heard that, that is a myth about the yogurt carbs and what it says is in there, it is. I'll find the article.... I think it even says it on the Atkins site but I'm not sure. THEN AGAIN, I've heard its helping ALOT of people with their WL. I say if it works, do it!

TTYL, Hugs, Leens

StarPrincess
10-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Happy Thursday! I am one tired girl today! I have a bad habit of not going to bed early enough during the week and end up getting around 5 hours of sleep a night. :yawn:

Leens - woo hooo! Boss free days are great! Enjoy it!

Clynne - hang in there, girl! Your dedication will pay off hugely.

I'm being extra good this morning and having decaf - gasp!- and I cut my splenda use in half. I'm happily surprised to find that it still tastes pretty good! Thanks again, Froufy!

I'm down another pound - yippee! It's especially fortunate timing because I spent last night visiting with my super-thin-looks-like-a-supermodel friend. Oddly enough, she's a staunch vegetarian and she unknowingly inspired me to do atkins. :)

Going to have to go work up some endorphins today so I can stay awake without my caffeine.

StorybookMama
10-23-2003, 11:25 AM
LOL!! Starprincess, my day is such today that I'm having my first caffeine in almost 3 years. Not too much (single shot) but enough to make it through the 4 hours of meetings/interviews this morning. (Interviewing attorneys for a position in our office... (with my bosses) so boring enough to need coffee...)

Splenda use cut in 1/2 to 3 packets and I'm okay with it. Lots of cream - but not used to the taste of regular and actually wishing I'd gotten the decaf because I like it better. Odd, I know...

Scale finally budged!!! I'm back to 11 pounds gone as of this morning. One more pound to make back to my pre cookie-dough weight!! Sheesh!!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday! Friday is just around the corner!!

Froufy
10-23-2003, 12:23 PM
So back from my dr's appt - and here's the good news. She is actually okay with low carbing (I was nervous having heard other drs freaking out) and in fact mentioned that a couple of her diabetic patients were lcing and were doing great!

She was very impressed with my almost 35 lb loss, but she did encourage more exercise stating that 150 minutes per week was the goal. (I think I can do that???;) )

I asked her about bloodwork on low carbing - and she suggested some of the usual tests (cholesterol, hemoglobin, electrolytes) and added uric acid. She even told me not to worry too much if cholesterol was higher due to low carbing as it is the ratio which is the most important. I am thrilled to see she is very supportive (e.g."you look great, keep up the good work"). Now await blood test results, and if all okay, back in 6 months for more blood tests.

Now for the eating before dinner scenario - thanks to Lisa for bringing this up - and I am here to confirm her "experiment".

Last night waiting for dh to go out for dinner and was STARVING - could hear my tummy growling a mile away. Found a convenience stores WITH NOTHING I COULD EAT IN THERE (was hoping for some little packs of cheese or something)....then spotted a Starbucks.

Got a new favorite: decaf breve latte - which is a latte made with CREAM instead of milk - this is to die for - absolutely rich and decadent. I had that and felt much better.

Met dh about 1/2 hr later at Outback and could barely finish my dinner (salad w/ranch dressing, broiled swordfish and veggies - actually changed my plan from steak as I knew I would be stuffed)....so guess what leftovers I have for lunch (time to warm up the swordfish and finish my salad);) ;) :D

So it works - something really high fat before eating (even if it's a drink?) seems to curb hunger and decrease eating!

I was also freaked out due the previous day's macadamia attack with over 2000 calories logged in - lots of water yesterday and happy to report scale down to 186.6!!!:D :D :D (It does sometimes help to "stir up" things with extra cals or carbs).

Glad to see many of you are now "sweet enough" and don't need as much sweetener in your coffees - keep it up, it definitely works.

As for the yogurt - check the FAQ section - I actually wrote to the Atkins Center who informed me, we must COUNT all the carbs in our yogurt - and that the "lactose eating carbs" theory is not really true. (I have found a whole milk/10% plain yogurt which is EXCELLENT, very creamy and rich, with only 8 carbs per cup, and occasionally have about 1/2 c with sf syrup or a few blueberries mixed in).

Expecting more cold wet rain this weekend UGH!!! (but dh and I have are "ditching" the 3 kiddies and are planning to spend the night in a posh downtown hotel, and wander around shopping and eating and generally having a good time!:o :o )

angel-eyes
10-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Gosh StoryBookMama, you sound like me last week. Darn that ol' cookie dough!!! It was my turn to bring something to the coffee club at church and darn if I didn't leave it to the last minute and the only thing I could think to make was peanut butter choc. chip cookies. WELL THE DOUGH WAS BETTER THAN THE COOKIES!!!..LOL, and since then I've been packing the leftover cookies in my boys lunch boxes everyday just to get rid of them. Good for you in losing that extra pound.....and now no more dough for either of us...OKAY? I have been watching what I've been eating but since that dough on Sat night, each day I've had to have a little sweet thing. Yesterday was my first clean day with no little cheat. I did however have 2 T of whip cream....YUMM. I've got weighin tommorow morning and then a friend is having an open house tommorow night. I'm to bring an appetizer, anyone got any good ideas for an Atkins friendly dish? I was thinking of a shrimp ring, but I'd rather make something than store bought.

fullfig
10-23-2003, 06:18 PM
oh my gosh! i am literally stuffed. we just got home from having dinner with the landlords and the wife's sister and husband. we arrived at 7:30 pm and got home at 12:20 am. we had been told that the meals run late. i am stuffed to the gills. there were nine, maybe ten dishes to the main meal, then baklava with chi and turkish coffee, then eight varieties of nuts and dried fruits. finally, there were bananas and home grown apples and pears. our plates were served and added to without asking. a banana and apple were put on my plate in the last phase. my dd did eat half of my banana. i am terrified to look at the scales tomorrow and the whole next week for that matter. this was some of the best food that i have ever eaten. the company was wonderful too. the brother-in-law had to do all of the translating. it was a wonderful evening all in all.:dizzy:

kfs151
10-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Froufy, you are just going to hate me :mad:

I LOVE the Starbucks breve lattes and treat myself to them from time to time. Unfortunately, 12 oz (in a tall) of heavy cream has 12 g of carbs :fr:

I looked it up from three different sources because I just didn't want to believe it. It turns out heavy cream only has "zero carbs" when you're having a tablespoon or so of it :o

I had really been missing my lattes so I was thrilled to have something I could order. I still get it from time to time and add it in to my calculation...

Kim in NJ
10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
WHOA!!!!
I have never been to Starbuck's but I work with people who will actually walk past our specialty coffee cart in the cafeteria on their way to their car to drive to Starbuck's midday for a "good" cup of coffee!

I just went to their website though and looked at their nutritional info. I would have thought like Froufy that her choice was perfectly on program....but check this out! - not trying to make you freak Froufy but we all need to be more aware of what we think is perfectly within the plan but then turns out not :(

Cafe Latte Breve (size tall)
12 oz.
420 calories
36g fat
15g carb
<1g sugar
10g protein

Now I use heavy cream everyday in my DD coffee that we make at home....YIKES! Need to do some more investigating on just "how much" cream I am adding to each of my 3 cups daily! I must be having at least 9g myself in those 3 cups. Boo Hoo Hoo.....

Froufy
10-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Oh No...this is TERRIBLE NEWS!.....I figured it was more cream than allowed...but not that much more! YIKES....I am so sad to give up the breve lattes (is there a smaller size.....??).

Too good to be true I guess. So can they make a cappuccino w/rcream? Anyone tried that? Will have to stick to regular decaf unless I can find something more exciting without megacarbs!

I also use cream or half and half in my coffee, but try to stay aware of amounts. I usually have two large cups per day and alot 3 oz for both! (no splenda cuz I'm sweet enuf :) )

Froufy

LindaBC
10-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Froufy, the Atkins people are probably right about the carbs in yogurt. All I know is that the yo-cheese made from yogurt is very rich and creamy and if I have a half cup of it mid-afternoon, I get through that mid-day slump without going wild looking for snacks and eating everything in sight. There are also a lot of Atkins followers who are experimenting with yogurt and are claiming that adding yo-cheese/yogurt has helped get them out of long-lasting stalls. It has helped to keep me from eating foods that are higher in carbs (such as nuts) and I'm sure the calcium is beneficial. After a half cup of full fat yogurt mixed with yo-cheese, I'm absolutely stuffed to the eyeballs.
I realise that it's kind of scary and risky to suddenly start eating what has always been considered a no-no on Atkins Induction, but I'm adding carbs back in and I'd rather add in yogurt than bread. For one thing, I know the bread will give me carb cravings and the yogurt hasn't.
Fullfig, that TUrkish meal sounds divine. Do I dare to ask what all the dishes were? No sheeps eyeball stew?

StorybookMama
10-24-2003, 01:41 AM
Froufy,

Try a Tall Decaf (or a Split) Americano. It tastes better than Drip and you can add the amount of cream you would add to a regular coffee... saves on the carbs in the Breve.

This is what I do when I order from one of the 9 or possibly 10 by now Starbucks shops within one mile of my work.

Of course, BA (before Atkins) I discovered the Malt Creme Frappucino at Starbucks. Probably more fat/carbs/calories than any one person should have in a day... but MAN was it good....

fullfig
10-24-2003, 04:50 AM
linda--it was divine. i couldn't even start to name the dishes. they didn't even tell me the name of some of them. not sheep's eyeball stew though.:D i know there was berek--sort of a phillo dough shaped like cigars, stuffed with meat and just a hint of cheese--my fave. dried and roasted red peppers stuffed with rice, herbs, meat, and not sure what else. some type of rice and herb mixture rolled in grape leaves. some type of minced lamb made into a perfectly round ball, coated in beaten wheat. 3 cheeses, but i don't care for turkish cheeses. proschuto--i know that is not how you spell it--thin, thin slice of meat that they call bacon, but is not because muslims do not eat pork. salad. pide--this one was thicker, more like 1.5 inch french bread almost. some kind of cold dish that had beans and thick sauce--have no idea what all was in that one, and tried not to ask. i want to think there was one more, but cannot visualize it right now. next, there was heavenly baklava--homemade is 1000 times better than what you find in the pastanis here. they had honeycombs from their own hives just outside of town--but didn't have any of that. this was served with chay (chi) and turkish coffee. then, there were nuts and dried fruits. there were pistachios, peanuts, cashews, butternuts, something that looked like chickpeas but were nuts, something that looked like very light raisins but weren't, another type of nut that i'm not sure what was, and something they called licorice--but not like we have--it tasted like small chunks of dates that were coated in powdered sugar. the last phase consisted of fruit--bananas, pears, and home grown apples--the best apples i have ever put in my mouth. i was so stuffed that i was miserable. they served our plates and added to them as we ate. my belly was so tight. they were very interested in what we eat for thanksgiving. it falls right after their rammadan(sp) ends. it begins around the 26th or 27th of this month and lasts for 30 days. during that time they only get to eat after sundown. we have been told it is more dangerous on the roads toward the end of this time as they have not been getting their daily coffee. i'll have to test this theory with my own eyes. so, we may have them over to eat with us then. the two couples have invited us to go with them sometime to their house in anatolya(sp), which is on the mediterranean. they are all so nice. the brother-in-law used to work with an american base here. they are all very fond of americans. americans contribute greatly to the low economy here.

anyway, i'm sure you weren't really asking for all the extra details. but, i got carried away thinking about the five hour meal.
thanks for asking, linda!:)

Ruthxxx
10-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Drool! I'm going to haul out my Middle Eastern Cookbook and look up some of this stuff. There has to be SOMETHING that is lower carb!

jdoggmartin
10-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Hey, ladies! Yay! It's Friday!!

I've been gone for a few days for work, and I couldn't check the board, and boy, did I feel like I missed out! There is just so much great information and funny stuff going on here.

Well, I never strayed from Atkins while I was away. At least not intentionally. Yesterday, I had a cucumber-tomato-onion salad with grilled shrimp on top. It had an olive oil and some type of vinegar as a dressing. It was delicious!! But, the more I thought about it, the more I think it might have been balsamic vinegar, which I know has sugar in it. :(

Other than that, though, I was right on. For supper on Wednesday night, I had a salad, asparagus and prime rib -- it was wonderful!! There were lots of temptations -- wine, crab dip with bread and one of four desserts the group of six ordered to share. I managed to pass on all of them, but it was difficult when the macadamia nut cheesecake with toasted coconut went by...

Thanks again, Froufy, for the simple suggestion of cutting back on sweetner use. I know it sounds like a simple thing, but I really never thought to try it! My coffee tastes just fine with only one instead of two... amazing!

I like the idea of eating something full of fat before dinner -- especially something like whipped cream and sf pudding or coffee with cream! You're right... my mother would be shaking her finger at me and getting on my case for eating dessert before dinner! :nono: But, thankfully, it's hard for her to do that since she's in Kansas, and I'm in Florida! Aha! :s:

Well, I hope everyone else is doing well. Thanks for all the great reading material!

Take care,
Jina

jane8760
10-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Good Friday morning everyone....

Well today was weigh in day and I stayed the same...not stressing about it though. TOM is at my door. I am still on track so I will just keep pluggin along.
I did get into a pair of smaller jeans this morning:cp: but unfortunately I have a big wedgy going on :fr:
But remember "It is more important to look good than to feel good":D

I fell into the sugar alcohol black hole yesterday. I bought some Atkins chocolate bars to help my craving for Halloween candy and it wasn't until AFTER I ate it that I remember the sugar alcohol. If I count that then I am over my 20 for the day...if I don't I am ok.

I am not going to fret over it....water over the bridge.

Except the bridge is going over Chinese food tonight :fr:
I can only be as good as I can. I may make tonight a small treat night. "Two MaiTai please"

Froufy
10-24-2003, 10:12 AM
I thought it was water UNDER the bridge...but maybe my bridges here are too high? LOL

Lisa...what's in a Cafe Americano (just decaf espresso I think?) I have iced decaf cafe americanos in summer as they are the only ones at Starbucks which are not pre-sweetend!

Jina - glad to hear you did so well - good for you! It's nice to see that one can still travel and go out and have a good time!

Fulfig - what a STUPENDOUS MEAL - wow, I bet you were stuffed, I was getting full just reading about all the goodies you enjoyed.

Well I bet you want to year about last night's (non)dinner? My intentions were good, but I find I'm tired and hungry when I get home (late on tues and thurs)....I did find some leftovers for kiddes, and then started munching on those EVIL :devil: :devil: :devil: MACADAMIA NUTS. I did exert some control, and finally settled down, but with the added diet pop I was full....so that was my dinner (and it's pretty high in carbs and calories too!).....added some "dessert" of course (1/2 c. plain yogurt w/sf raspberry syrup) and still ended up with almost 30 carbs and 1566 calories (within my range).

This morning I jump on the scale fearing the worst, and I am down another lb! (or more?)....with a low of 185.2! How exciting is that? (Don't worry the can is now finished).

I am a bit nervous about the weekend tho, as we are going downtown to have FUN, FUN, FUN without the kiddes and staying in a hotel (Westin) attached to our downtown shopping mall! Will be eating lovely food and drinks (I know no more breve lattes, and there is a Starbucks there too!). Hope I can resist and not do too much damage. (e.g. Martini hour at a very posh bar downtown....and lots of GREAT restaurants in the Market area downtown - will be VERY HARD to pick where we will eat dinner). Hotel restaurant is also very well known and has excellent cuisine if we want to stay in.....great view (overlooks the canal and the Parliament buildings). We also get a $22 credit for breakfast there and I hear the brunch is absolutely awesome!

Froufy:cool: (cold but sunny out today - supposed to rain all weekend)

jane8760
10-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Over, under....potato, patato :fr: DID I MENTION POTATOS!

:D

Leenie
10-24-2003, 10:24 AM
I am so having a hard time this week, I'm on plan but I don't think a 1/2 of jar of pnut butter (no sugar) is "really" on plan. OY!

I am thinking about starting to add yogurt into my diet as well, I would like to give it a week and see, hey, I'm not losing by eating pnut butter so what the hay!

Can anyone give me any advice b/4 I go and buy some. I've heard some mention to buy full fat yogurt.

I am definitly NOT weighing myself until NEXT weekend :D :dizzy:

Froufy
10-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Definitely full fat plain yogurt is what you are looking for. I am not sure of brands in the US but I"m sure you can find something. I use a brand called Liberty, the meditaranee version is 10% fat, and very cream and yummy...not at all sour or runny like the low fat versions are.

You can add some of those yummy sf syrups you ordered and enjoy. Do count ALL the carbs (my brand has 4 carbs per half cup) and let us know how you do. Many lowcarbers swear by yogurt helping them lose weight!

Froufy

Leenie
10-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Froufy, I can't wait to try the yogurt for breakfast, I'm getting a little tired of eating sausage or bacon (I KNOW, I KNOW). Its only when you can't have it that you miss it right !! lol

StorybookMama
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Froufy
Lisa...what's in a Cafe Americano (just decaf espresso I think?) I have iced decaf cafe americanos in summer as they are the only ones at Starbucks which are not pre-sweetend!

Froufy:cool: (cold but sunny out today - supposed to rain all weekend)

Okay, all an Americano is is a shot of espresso (or two, three, four whatever) poured into steamed water (LOL!) which then just makes it like a cup of hot coffee - only better. Yesterday, I got a Tall Double Split Half-Decaf Americano with Cream.... and added 3 Splendas.

The caffeine just about killed me, but i had it early enough that I was only up until 11:30 last night!! This is good since I would have been up anyhow. No more of that for a while.

Question on cheating. I don't want to do any planned big cheats for a while (like until Christmas) but was wondering something after reading The Book last night. He says if you eat something with sugar in it, you will immediately revert back to a glucose burning machine and it will take a few days to get back into the fat burning mode. However, if I cheat AND stay in ketosis, do I still turn into a glucose burning machine instead of fat?? I thought that ketosis was one of our clues that we were still burning fat.

Just curious.

So happy it's Friday - my gosh it's been a long week. Leaving work early today!! :D

StarPrincess
10-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Fulfig - I'm DYING over here! Baklava is one of my all time most favorite things in the universe. I know that it would probably make me terribly ill now (sugar does that to me lately) but mmmmmmmmmmmm just thinking about it makes me all tingly. :goodvibes

For you latte drinking chicks - I tend to do a lot of grocery store research so I can better guessimate the carb content of things that don't have labels on them. Half & Half and heavy cream both have 1 gram of carbs per tablespoon according to the containers that I read at the store.

I went to the low carb store last night and loaded up on cheddar pork rinds and cinnamon/splenda pork rinds as well as davinci syrup (cherry) and bunches of 'just the cheese'. Mmmm mmmmm mmmm!

Then, on my way home I stopped at Ross (discount store) and decided to try on some jeans since the pair I was wearing need to be retired due to excessive bigness. I currently make a point of buying low-rise jeans (cause they're so dang comfy!) and ones that are snug enough to squish my fat over the top a little but not too tight to move. If I get them too tight, I can wear them for longer - maybe a whole month! Anyway, last night I bought my first pair of size 7's. Whoopie!!!! :cb: I can't believe it! Yes, they're tight. Yes, I'm not really that size yet. But I've got the dang things on anyway and I'm thrilled!

Then, to celebrate I was a bad bad muffin. I used my new cherry davinci syrup with some diet sprite and rum and had a couple of drinks with the hubby last night. No carbs, but alcohol still slows the weight loss down.

Now I'm at work drinking my 20 ounce decaf with 1 tbsp of half & half and 2 packets of splenda listening to the most disgusting man ever created who happens to sit a couple of cubes away from me hawk and snort his way through his morning (I've dubbed him Mr. Mucus). Ugh!!! Thank god I'm not hung over!!!!

jdoggmartin
10-24-2003, 11:41 AM
StarPrincess: Way to go on the size 7 jeans!! That's awesome!! Ahh, I can't wait for that day...

And, I just posted a question about where you bought the cinnamon pork rinds on the food journal. So, you can ignore me over there! I think I need to find a low-carb store here, if one exists... If not, I'll just keep making the cinnamon pork rinds -- they are delicious!! Cheddar cheese pork rinds sound awesome, too. I've only found plain, bbq and hot and spicy, but I haven't been to a low-carb store, either. Pork rinds are a wonderfu, wonderful thing!! :ink:

Take care,
Jina

StarPrincess
10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi Jina -

I saw your question on the other page and already replied so I'll do so here, too. Check out www.gramsgourmet.com they are the ones who make this yumminess. The website will tell you which stores near you sell their products as well as where you can order them online.

:)

jdoggmartin
10-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, StarPrincess!! I couldn't find any stores in Florida, but I did find one right by where my parents live in Kansas. I am making a trip there next weekend, so I'll just leave plenty of room in my suitcase for packing pork rinds! Thanks again!!

StarPrincess
10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
You're welcome! Let me know how you love them :) And have a great time on your trip - in case I forget to tell you next week!

supersized
10-24-2003, 12:28 PM
My life seems pretty dull compared to what's going on with all of you. I did manage to lose another pound though. I'm down to 175. I can't remember the last time I was this low. I'm pretty proud. My 16s and 16Ws are pretty loose. Last weekend I bought some knit capris for walking and was able to buy a large. I was super-psyched about that. I also can't remember the last time I bought a large without X's in front of it. I know it must have been cut large but still I'm proud.

fullfig, I think I'm gaining weight after reading about all that yummy food. The apple was probably the best you ever ate because you've been so apple deprived on Atkins. I experienced the same thing with white loaf bread at our recent blood drive. I wasn't gonna eat it with my diet drink but a few people kept asking me how I was feeling. I finally looked in mirror and realized why. I was very pale. So I broke down and ate a turkey sandwich that was pre-made. I swear that was the best and freshest loaf bread I've ever eaten. Thankfully it didn't result in me running to store and buying a loaf.

StarPrincess, how tall are you? I've heard a lot of you talk of small sizes. I've never been able to fit in anything smaller than a 9/10. I reached this size at 136 and 145. I was muscular at 145 while working/managing lumber/millworks department at Lowe's. It's amazing what lifting sheetrock, concrete, lumber, and doors on a daily basis will do for your muscles. Anyway I'm 5'7". When I do the wrist test, I seem to be small to medium boned. Just curious as I would love to be smaller than a 10.

Froufy
10-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Like I will never wear a size 7 either, but I am very excited for you Star - what an awesome feeling that must be. Keep up the good work.

So still feeling depressed and upset about my "breve latte extravaganza" so I checked out the Starbucks website to see if there was ANYTHING EXCITING I could have.

I used to drink cappuccinos pre-atkins, but knowing they were made with milk I kept away from them. Now I see they are WAY BETTER than those lattes, and I can have a tall w/cream for about 8 carbs?? Still may not be worth it (who wants to drink their carbs anyways?)....but good to know for an occasional treat. Will also try the Cafe Americano w/cream and see how I like it.

Star - did you invent that drink - sounds very yummy and I"m sure a couple won't slow you down too much.

SBM - as for cheating and glucose vs fat burning. I believe if you are in ketosis you would still be burning fat - it obviously depends on the amount of sugar ingested. Sometimes I hear there is a delayed effect - and it does take a few hours to notice a change - but you may be in ketotis shortly after eating sugar/glucose...but next day or later you will slip out of ketosis (as well I've also heard of delayed weight gain not next day, but day after).

So plan those cheats carefully, and monitor ketosis. Best to do in evening, 2 hours after meal.

Froufy

StarPrincess
10-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Supersized - I'm 5'3" and a medium/large bone structure thanks to my dad. All three brothers got mom's tiny bones and I got the huge ones! Oh well, maybe it will help protect me from osteoperosis. The strange thing for me is that while I'm all excited about the size 7, when I look in the mirror, I still look the same to me as I did 40 pounds ago. I have had some eating disorder issues in the past so I'm wondering if it's part of that, or if it's common with people who are losing weight. Any thoughts?

Froufy - I did make the drink up. Being married to a guy who works weekends in a bar forces me into libation creativity. I also tried cherry syrup, caffeine free diet coke and black label Jim Beam. Very yummy as well. And for a final alcohol tip, Baja Bob's makes yummy low carb margarita mixes. Just be sure to cut them with diet sprite or something similar because they tend have a strong flavor!

Leenie
10-24-2003, 01:10 PM
SP your a size 7 and you weigh 161 lbs ???? thats amazing, where is your weight stored ?

I will never be a size 7, at 5'10" I think I would look pretty bad. I'm just striving for a size 14 :) that would be like heaven.

jane8760
10-24-2003, 01:12 PM
I weigh 164 and I am struggling to get into a size 12! I am 5'5.

Must be in the boobs :p

StarPrincess
10-24-2003, 01:31 PM
It's the bones, I swear! When I was at my smallest, I wore a size 5 and had a 23 1/2 inch waist and still weighed 145. I just don't make sense - what can I say?

For the record, even though I can wear the size 7s, I wouldn't say they fit. They're pretty darn tight still. Based on my loss record, they'll fit nicely in about 3 weeks.

angel-eyes
10-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi Froufy. From reading your posts and your current one today, I gather that you live in the Ottawa area? I used to live in Ottawa and then moved to Carleton Place before moving to North Carolina. I LOVED THE MARKET area too.....do you ever go to cafe bohemiam on william st? oh.....and the beaver tails are to die for!!! (before atkins of course) sometimes, when I'm eating those porkrinds and cinnamon/splenda; I imagine they are a beaver tail!!! LOL crazy eh? now you've gone and made me feel homesick. hope you have a great weekend sans kids and enjoy the shopping at the rideau centre. I worked there for about 10 years in the days of Brettons. haha..thats really dating myself.

StarPrincess
10-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Ahhhhhhhh!!! The high carb demons have found my weakness! BlackJack, Clove and Beechams gum is being marketed again. For those who are unfamiliar, it's old fashioned gum that get's sold every few years. I LOVE clove gum beyond all thought and reason. I ended up buying a whole box (20 packs - 5 pieces per pack) of the gum. Of course it's made with sugar - but it's only 2 grams per piece, so if I give up my decaf and limit myself to 1 piece a day, then I'm ok, right? :s:

angel-eyes
10-25-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm singing and dancing this morning because I had a party to go to last night and for the first time (in a long time) I didn't overeat!!! The party spread was incredible, popcorn shrimp, eggrolls, nacho chips, wine, martini's....donuts, sweets....etc etc....I had to bring an appetizer and I brought a great shrimp/crab dip that was low in carbs (bought it at costco) but instead of the garlic roasted bread I brought, I ate it with some fresh veggies. I mean, most of the party was held in the kitchen and esp. surrounding the food table. My number one rule is usually to stand on the far side of the room away from the food table but in this case that was impossible. I'm sooo proud of myself, and I didn't even have one sip of those great watermelon martini's everyone was having. What was also great was the compliments I got from some of the people I haven't seen in awhile. One even asked what was different?..she also asked me if I had my teeth whitened?...LOL..no, but maybe its the almost 20 lbs I'VE LOST!!.....haha, I kept it to myself but wait until the same group of friends see me at Christmas. I felt really good and positive about myself and in charge.....YEAH!!! I think I'm finally getting it.

Leenie
10-25-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm so bummed today, I just found out my Aunt Pat died last night, she has some kind of anorizm SP??? it exploded in her heart and stomach (never heard of that but thats all the details I have now, I'll find out more later) ........they tried to save her but couldn't, she was only 62. Sigh ~~ She lived in arazona for the past few years but her kids still live in NJ, they are shipping her up here to be burried :cry:

Kim in NJ
10-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Oh Leens I am so sorry your aunt passed away. It it always so difficult when it is sudden. I will keep her family and you in my prayers.

Angel - Great job at the party! The hardest part is staying feet away from that spread.

angel-eyes
10-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Oh Leens, I'm so sorry to hear of your Aunts passing and at such an early age. Will you be able to make it for her funeral? My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

StorybookMama
10-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Leens -

My thoughts are with you. Let us know if we can do anything.

jdoggmartin
10-25-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Leens. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Take care,
Jina

supersized
10-25-2003, 05:37 PM
I'll be praying for your family Leens. I recently lost a cousin to an aneurysm. She was only in her early forties.

angel-eyes, great job of resisting the temptations. You're doing great.

I've dropped another couple of pounds so I'm on cloud 9. I can't wait to hit the 160s.

Have asuper weekend!

KarenW
10-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Leens - I am praying for you and your family! I am so sorry! I just attended a funeral yesterday for a good friend who died after a 7 year battle with breast cancer.

About the Americanos, if you ask for a tall Sugar free, they will put a shot of sugar free vanilla in it to give it a AWESOME sweet taste.. I love it with out the cream!!!

jen519
10-26-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt Leens. Hope friends and family can be a "safety net" for you in the difficult time.

Angel, great job on resisting the temptation of what sounds like REALLY YUMMY stuff. I'm looking forward to getting together with family and friends who haven't seen me in a while too. I, however, AM whitening my teeth too :D Also, I'm following a more disciplined facial-cleansing, firming and moisturizing regimen. I think, at 42, the fat in my face has helped keep the wrinkles at bay. Don't want all the skin to start hanging off my skull!

I found an unexpected benefit of having lost 20+ pounds last night. My daughter took up figure-skating last November. I've gone to the public skate with her 4 times now. The first time, I could barely make it around the rink without my ankles and lower calves killing me. Same with the 2nd time, but when I bought her new skates, I got her old ones which were much better than the kind you rent (her feet are bigger than mine and she's only 11!), so the 3rd time I went, I was able to do a bit more, but still couldn't manage to actually lift my feet off the ice. That was 2 1/2 months ago, before I started Atkins. I decided to take her last night and I was amazed. I was able to skate ( I mean really skate) around the rink 3 or 4 times before I had to stop and rest, then I could go again. A little shaky, but lifting my feet off the ice and really moving. I only just started an excercise program, so it can't be that. Is it that my legs are so much lighter now or I feel more confident in general or I have more stamina or I have stronger muscle, I don't know. All I know is, I had a GRAND time and we're going again on Tuesday night. She has a competition coming up in Portland, OR and the more practice she gets the better.

Jen

supersized
10-26-2003, 04:27 PM
That's awesome Jenn. I'm sure your daughter really enjoyed it too. This will be great exercise for your legs. I too have stepped up the facial routine and teeth whitening. Bit by bit I'm working on the new and improved me.

angel-eyes
10-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey Jen...or is it d) ALL OF THE ABOVE ? Isn't that great to see?....this might be the answer to your idea of how to get some excersise into your day. Skating is an excellent sport to get into and you already have the cream of the crop iceskates!! Something else to think about....while she is practicing and you are waiting for her, why not put your runners on and go for a walk around the complex? Remember baby steps, don't try out for a marathon at first but it would be a good first step. Keep at it!!!

KarenW
10-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Jen - You are doing awesome! I want to try ice skating some day! And that picture.. you can see the difference!! I love it!! :)

Froufy
10-26-2003, 11:00 PM
from my fabulous weekend downtown (yes angel eyes I am in the beautiful capital city of Ottawa!).

Leens - my sympathy to you and your family at this time - I am sorry to hear about the unexpected passing of your aunt!

Angel eyes - way to go at the party/food fest - glad to see you managed okay.

Jen - I am truly IMPRESSED - as angel eyes will confirm Ottawa is the site of the longest skating rink in North America - which is our canal system - freezes over in winter, and a fabulous place for everyone to skate on (and have hot chocolate and those yummy beavertails).....I will have to get my skates out this year and try again!

Our night at the Westin was awesome (you must try their Heavenly Beds - lot of pillows, duvets/comforter - very cosy). Lots of fun shopping (dh got new clothes, I got new perfume/soap and watch!). I even tried the Cafe Americano at Starbucks (with 2 pumps of sf vanilla syrup and cream = very excellent...and my new favorite).

Dinner was great - altho not extremely low carb - my chicken came w/root vegetables and some sort of apple/potato marmalade (on the side)....and I tried to pick out what I could eat. There was some kind of sauce on it, that did have a slightly sweet taste??? The ceasar salad was amazing tho - lots of garlic, warm chunks of smoked bacon and freshly grated romano...to die for.

Next stop was Martini Madness at another posh spot - too busy so we left...ended up at Fat Tuesday's (new orleans type place)...where we enjoyed some live (old 70's and 80's) music and a COSMOPOLITAN MARTINI (yes folks you heard it here first)....not entirely legal, but very yummy and strong (okay I did not eat the maraschino cherry at the bottom of the glass). Also had a glass of white wine w/dinner so I was feeling great! (What can I say? I am a very cheap drunk!).

This morning after a great SLEEP IN!...had brunch in the fancy hotel restaurant - very awesome: omelette, smoked salmon, cheeses, salad, baked chicken and poached salmon...followed by fresh strawberries, blueberries and melons (and I even found some freshly whipped cream to put on top!).

More shopping and fun, then off to the movies with a PLANNED CHEAT of popcorn! I had decided that it has been five months since starting Atkins and what I miss most is movies and popcorn (have switched to decaf coffee at movies )...so in light of my 5 month anniversary I decided it was permissible to have some popcorn as a treat (shared a medium bag w/dh along with a Diet Pepsi).....how exciting is that?

I am back on plan starting tomorrow and will weigh in as usual. Hopefully not too much damage done!

Hope everyone had a fun weekend as well!

Froufy:D