Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:12 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default LWL #125 - Week of 20-27 Oct.

Just thought I'd get the thread going this fine Monday mornin'...
Old 10-20-2003, 07:43 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Good Monday Mornin’ Girls

I had a GRRRREAT leg workout today...I am gonna be some sore tomorrow!! I did:
-- Sled leg presses, started at 300# and worked myself up to 400# (6 sets)
-- Superset: leg extensions (90#, 95#, 100#, 105#) and poor man’s leg curls (4 sets)
-- Superset: dead lifts and front squats (4 sets)
-- Superset: lunges and hanging abs (4 sets)
-- Wall-sits: 4 sets, (60, 60, 75, and 90 seconds) WOOHOO, OUCH, OUCH, OUCH.... (I LOVE IT!!) I am so loving these wall sits...

Last Thursday I went out with a few girls, and one of them thought I had lost a lot of weight!! ( I did not loose a # I haven’t lost # in at least a year!! ) Just to show ya the scale is not a good thing and not a good measure of progress... Secondly, this morning (I’m chuckling here as I remember this) this young guy, well he may be 38 or so...Comes up to me, grabs my one arm with both hands, and so I automatically flex...... (I feel so silly remembering this) and he says: “Good grief all that work is starting to really show!” Now, if that’s not incentive to stay on plan nothin’ is...

Therefore, I can tell it will be a good strong week, exercise and food wise.... I’ve also started the ole “P” so I now feel 200% better than last week...

*~Airegrrl~* I remember quite a few years ago when I started lifting, I was tired all the time too... Specially, lifting to failure. I still am tired at the end of the week. I workout from Monday to Friday only, from 3 to 5 days, usually 5 days, and I can tell you that by Friday I am pretty pooped!! My exercises on the weekend consist of vacuuming, cleaning house, walking or biking depending on the season, that’s it that’s all!! And I get lots and lots of R&R ... This works for me, for fatigue...

Well gotta go for now, going to take the kids to school, then visit my mom...

Later!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:56 AM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Good morning - I have my workout in for the day as well. This is good!!!!

Thank you Meg, I have spent the weekend reading most of the Venuto book. And it speaks to me. I have my goals written out and I feel optimistic. As hard as it is to deal w/ being a TOTAL endomorph, it is good to read about the reasons for things, such as feeling sleepy a lot, having to push to keep myself moving.

I have never done a test to determine my lean body mass so I will be purchasing a caliper ASAP. It sounds like the accufine is good for a do it yourselfer. Anyone have thoughts on that subject?

dip - how are things going? I am thinking of you as you shed your next 3 lbs. I'm ready for a party! Not to put pressure on you or anything. Not at all - but I know it is just around the corner.

Good week to everyone.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:22 AM   #4  
Meg

Good morning! Hey, Ilene, it’s leg day for me too! I’ll be back saying ow ow ow in a few hours!

Ledom — I’m glad that Venuto is useful for you — hoped it would be. Endomorphs of the world, unite! (I’m one too, all the way)

Yesterday I got together with Barbara, who posted here a bit as RedBalloon. Internet time is very expensive in Japan, where she lives, so she has a hard time keeping up with our chatty threads! She was here in Pittsburgh visiting her family. We met at my gym and did a chest workout together (and then she did back). Wow — she is one strong chickie — she’s solid muscle! Her “light” workout put me to shame! Then a little cardio and we went out for coffee and something to eat. And talked and talked! Barbara is a writer and works for the Japan Times, an English language paper in Tokyo. She also does a lot of reporting on horse racing in Japan. Karen, her passion for horses rivals yours! She rides and co-owns a horse, like you do. The two of you would hit it off so well. Anyway, she talked about an article she recently wrote that has stirred up considerable controversy both in Japan and here about a Kentucky Derby champion (Ferdinand) who was sent to Japan as a stud horse and later slaughtered, much to the chagrin of his previous owners. It’s even attracted Congressional attention. She is a lovely and fascinating person and we could have talked for hours. I posted a photo in our album of the two of us yesterday.

More later — off to the gym!

Meg
Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #5  

Good Morning All! Happy Monday!

ledom - I am also devouring and psyched by Venuto's book. He lays it out that even I can understand it. I've re-committed to my goals, weekly and long-term. Colleens' accomplishment this weekend too has inspired me. Food and work-out is planned for the day, and I AM FULL OF IT! - energy and determination, that is.

Hope everyone has a safe and healthy day - check back later!

dip
Old 10-20-2003, 09:57 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Meg -- Thanks for posting that photo of you and Barbara... She looks a lot like my Sunday w/o partner Luanne same cute face (I haven't seen her in ages tho ). It would be so much fun to actually meet and get together the bunch of us here...Ah well one can dream, and dreams do sometimes come true...

Ledom ~~ VERY happy to hear that you have your w/o done!! Good for you, keep it up...I must try to get this Venuto book!!

I'm presently making a good and large pot of vegetable soup for the week... Yum I love doing that...

Back later....
Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I searched Venuto this morning and found some great sites here are two of them:

http://www.femalemuscle.com/
http://www.femalemuscle.com/nutrition/tom.html
Old 10-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #8  

lo all

i have come down with the grandaddy of all head colds (fever finally broke but I cant even hear... my ears are plugged) and havent made it to the gym since saturday. sunday was freeday and so far eats have been OK

Sounds like you are all doing pretty good! I'll post again when I feel more human.

Tidey
Old 10-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Red face Happy Monday all!

yo ho, yo ho...it's off to work I go...

This weekend was great as usual - warm weather still hangin' in there...so enjoying it as much as possible (at the stables, of course).

Meg - your meeting w/Redballoon sounds like it was fun! Yup, I did hear about what happened to Ferdinand I hang out at several equine-related boards and it spread like wildfire... (in fact the latest big horse news has to do with the closure of many farms that supply PMU (pregnant mare urine) which is the main ingredient in Prempro and Premarin...studies came out which found a HIGH incidence of breast cancer connected with the use of these products - so the farms (mostly located in Canada and North Dakota) are having to sell their stock since Wyeth has said that they will no longer need nearly as much PMU as they have in the past - this means that tens of thousands of untrained mares and foals will be going through an already depressed horse market. Pretty sad ...)

As for Ferdinand - I think that he was owned by a syndicate at the time he was sold to Japan, but stood at Claiborne in KY (home of MANY famous racehorses such as Secretariat, Bold Ruler, Riva Ridge, Danzig, Nasrullah and so on). I believe it was Claiborne who actually broke the story about Ferdinand's fate after they had inquired about his health, how he was doing, etc and got the information that he had been 'eliminated'. VERY sad to say the least...

Venuto's book kicks MAJOR booty - it's not like anything in there is NEW, but I like the way he lays it on the line. Peeps who don't care for cardio aren't going to like how he emphasizes its importance in fat loss though. Of course everyone's different - I happen to be one of those people who NEEDS to do cardio in their program...Good stuff in there though.

Well as usual I have a million things to do on my desk...will check in later!!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:10 PM   #10  
Mel

Default Happy Monday back at you

Today was chest and bi's and I absolutely shredded them. My chest is so sore already. Ended with 43 push-ups- that's going to be my equivalent of the wall sitting for chest. Too bad it also burns out my shoulders, because tomorrow is shoulder day. I hope I can lift something.

I've been reading the Venuto book too- fell asleep with him last night. Anybody look at his pics? Wouldn't that be nice... I'm still bogged down in the macronutient ratios section, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to up my carbs. maybe not to the 60% level he says to start with- yow, I'm at 20% usually and an abrupt switch would put me in shock, but maybe up to 30-35%. I haven't read the bad news about cardio yet, but I'm pretty sure where I fall. And I'm not doing enough.

Karen- It's not just the horse market that's depressed about the whole HRT issue. I know quite a few women who are giving up their Premarin kicking and screaming.

Tidy- Hope you feel better soon.

Meg- How are your legs? The meeting with Redballoon sounds fun. It be great to all get together and beat each other up in the gym.

Got to go make dinner for ds and head to Boy Scouts-

mel
Old 10-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #11  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Tuesday!!

Ok.... I am here, and back on track. I was thrown a bit by my friend visiting and a hectic work week but it is good to be back to a 100% day. Yesterday I did not have my lunches made up because we spent the day in the Dandenongs and Healesville Santuary (BEST place to see the wacky aussie animals!) How about I promise to post some photos on the website this week?

Reunion? Well.... I may be heading over to Canada next July for a family 'rebellion'. There are rumors floating to us overseas people to start saving... I am also hoping my brother gets married soon too! In the next 18 months I could be there.... and will definately extend my trip past Alberta, as I want to see the Hockey Hall of Fame! We may have to discuss this further!

Gotta run... eat second breakfast before a meeting!

Nola.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:33 PM   #12  
Searching

Talking Good Evening

I got my LBWO done today. And I was able to reach all my 10's and now I have to walk around work all night with the legs going OH WHY! I do have to note for those that get tired as the week goes on, this is why I do Yoga for an hour plus on Thursday. Its my recharge! I don't know if it is the inversions or what, but I am less dragging if I just DO IT!

Meg- Can you give some further insight to this endo, ecto, meso thing? I looked online and though I might be a blend, then I think I am an extreme one: thin arms, high barely determinable waist, broad shoulders, and heavy chest (chest, quads, and forearms seem to be the place where the muscles seem to want to POP), hip to waist ratio is almost nothing, and little stick legs to hold up the big chest and belly. Now ya'll are going to knwo how really deformed I am

Lanaii- Thanks for putting in the Venuto links.

Tidey - Feel better

Oh and by the way if ya'll ever get a chance to see J. Medicine Hat the hypnotist comic. DO! His show is hilarious! BUt don't do like I did and start out with water and switch to White Russians, The body doesn't like it too much if you try to take it easy on the dairy and then give it too much

HAVE A GREAT NIGHT or MORNING!!!!!!!!!
Miss Chris
Old 10-21-2003, 04:38 AM   #13  

Hi all!
Haven't posted for a long time; just been so occupied. I'm doing pretty well both eatin and exercise-wise, hope everyone is too. Have a good week, all!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:15 AM   #14  
Meg

Good morning! Just finished my oatmeal and chocolate PP —- never get tired of it. It’s my favorite meal of the day but I can’t seem to convince anyone in my family to try it! Their loss …

First off, congratulations go out to Mel, who is now a certified personal trainer. I vote that we all convene in Philadelphia for Mel’s first seminar on “How To Squat A Baby Elephant”. Can we all stay over with you, Mel?

Kanola — glad to see you back and yes, we want pictures!

Miss Chris — White Russians — tricky little devils aren’t they? I did legs yesterday too and am in a world of hurt. Love it! All I know about the endo, ecto, meso thing is what I read in Venuto’s Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle. Endo just jumped out at me, being as my former body shape was beach ball (seriously, with 57” hips and being 64” tall, I was ROUND!). Perhaps Mel -- certified trainer Mel! -- can help me out here?

Mel, I got the same reaction after reading Venuto — that I need to up the carbs. I’m trying to, slowly and super-clean — if I add a lot in too fast, I’d blow up. More carbs gives me more energy, for sure. What you suspect about the cardio is indeed what he says … especially for us endo’s. Tons of cardio. The only way I can beat the boredom factor is to change machines every 15-20 minutes (that, and loud mindless music). I think that’s like Dip’s tri-cardio? (don’t know if she does the music part though )

Karen — I agree that there’s nothing really new in Venuto, but then there’s not too much new in the world of dieting, despite the latest “miracle diets”! The book is readable and lays it out in a logical and organized way and that’s what appeals to me — all in one place and it makes sense. No secret food combinations or miracle supplements or magic fat burners.

Hi Laural, Dip, and Ilene!

Congratulations on the 5K, Colleen! When’s the next race?

It’s been 2.5 months since I had the skin removal surgery and everything is great in the gym except for my legs. I’ve been extremely frustrated because their strength hasn’t been coming back, not to mention that most of the fat left on my body is on my legs. Now my usual workout partner has a new job, which takes up a lot of his time and so he’s taking a hiatus from legs (typical guy, only working upper body). So I’ve been struggling on my own, to little avail. In desperation, I asked one of the trainers to help me out and so I’m doing legs with him twice a week for a month. Yesterday was our first session together and he’s going to either get me good legs or kill me trying! I did 29 sets in an hour and 15 minutes:

3 sets extensions
3 sets lying curls
3 sets seated leg press
5 sets squats
3 sets hack squats
3 sets leg press
3 sets walking lunges
3 MORE sets extensions
3 sets seated curls

I see him again on Friday, which will be “light” legs — high-rep, no-rest supersets.

Think I'll limp off and do some cardio -- the bike actually helps stretch my legs when they're sore.

Have a great day, everyone!

Meg
Old 10-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Good Rainy Tuesday Mornin’ Girls

*~Mel~* CONGRATS!!! What an accomplishement! I’ve always wanted to do that but was always too chicken to do it...that and the fact that I would have to travel 2 hours to get to Ottawa for the course, they don’t give it at the college here in town...

*~Meg~* Man you’re gonna kill yourself!!! IMO, BUT you will have fun doin’ it... I’m going to try it next week, it seems like a neet combination of exercises.... \

*~Karen~* I definitely agree on the cardio... BUT I soooooo dislike it specially on a machine. For me it’s definitely a mind thing, I’ve convinced myself that I hate it so much that I can’t seem to go back. I have been trying to go out walking at night a couple of times/week...

*~Miss Chris~* I do Yoga too and love it. But not matter what by weeks end I am pooped I just need some sleep. I LOVE to sleep. It was funny the other day, D mentioned that she LUVS to sleep too...I love getting up and all but when it’s time to go to bed I just can’t wait...

*~Nola~* Welcome back! Hope you had fun with your visitor...

Well gotta go get ready for work, yes darn it I have to work today. A FULL day too...Be back at lunch to check up on things...

Later!
Closed Thread