Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:47 AM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Default Turtle Club #110

Hi, Turtles,

Here's the fable that started it all:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for several years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We've been reflecting on what the turtle philosophy means as we start our second hundred posts. The turtle philosophy was a difficult one for people to accept. People want the weight off--NOW!! But reality is that it took time to put it on and it will take time to take it off. People want it to be easy to take off the weight. But reality is that it's not easy. You can have a program that's easy to follow, but following it steadily--that's hard. People don't want to exercise much, if at all. But reality is that our bodies were designed to move. So, we're setting realistic goals that take the weight off at a healthy pace. We're setting goals that will keep us moving steadily toward the healthy weight we want to be. And we're just plain moving. We're setting realistic exercise goals that will move our bodies the way they were meant to be moved.

We've also noticed that our turtle philosophy has affected the rest of our lives. I've started writing fiction again. I realize that I can finish a novel, or two, or ten. All I have to do is to set realistic daily goals, work steadily toward achieving them, and they will build up into finished books. Turtle Power at work in my everyday life.

Anyone who wants to join us in steadily moving toward all of our goals is welcome. I've met some wonderful people on this thread. I hope to meet many more. I know the battle with our weight is a difficult one. Having such supportive people come and post regularly keeps it from getting overwhelming. I hope to see many more people join us as we move forward on our journey.

Let's Get Moving!!
Old 10-19-2003, 12:06 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Good Morning, Turtles,

Hey, Choosewell, I saw you, too. Maybe we'll see each other in the next one, if you manage to get a reliable connection.

About your "atkins attack". Check your journal and make sure you've been eating enough protein and fat. Getting too low on either or both of those can cause me to do things like what you mentioned. But, if it's just the "old you" popping up, you'll have to remind yourself that you're changing. That there's a "new you" that you like better. And move on. Good luck.

I'm still up a pound from last week's weighin, but I'm also still retaining water. Today should be the day the water goes away. I'm going to do a mall walk this afternoon and get back to my tapes tomorrow. My eating is back on track. My husband made his wonderful breakfast, but he's really good about measuring the oil and stuff so I can easily count the points.

I made good progress with my writing goals over the marathon, but I didn't get anywhere close to the word count. The goals are more important, so I'm content with what I did.

I got a real compliment the other day. One of my son's friends is staying with us. (long story) But he said he was surprised that when I started doing WW again, I didn't put the whole house on the program. My dh was surprised at the comment and said that I never put the whole house on a weight-loss program just because I want to lose weight. It was a compliment to me because it shows me how far I've come from the days long ago when I used to think I couldn't have some things in the house. But that's punishing them because I want to lose weight, so I made a real effort to learn how to choose what I want to eat or don't want to eat based on something besides "it's in the cupboard so I'm going to eat it."

I hope you all are having a great weekend. Are you moving?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:01 PM   #3  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Well, turtles, I'm just coming off of a week of unbridled gluttony. Some of it is hormonal, some of it is post-vacation blahs, and some of it is just falling into the sugar/carbs trap. (I eat sugar, I want more sugar, I eat sugar, I want more sugar ...)

I'm up SIX pounds from before we went on vacation. Yes, TOM looms. But I suspect it only accounts for half that extra weight.

So I'm going to avoid sugar for the next couple of weeks. I'm feeling the need to do something fairly drastic to stop this cycle, and sometimes abstinence is easier than moderation. I did this a few years ago when I had put back on about 16 pounds, and I found it very helpful. At that time, I cut out sugar and flour for about two months. It got me going again.

This time, I'm cutting out all sugar, even fruit sugar, for a couple of weeks. During this time, I'm also cutting out pretty much all starches except for beans. I'm going to eat a lot of protein and vegetables and healthy fats. I don't plan to do this for longer than two weeks, because I don't see it as a viable long-term approach. (I think it would set me up for a binge if I went longer than that.)

After that, I'm going to add back fruit and some starches, like popcorn and whole grains, in moderation. But no white flour, and no sugar. Except in red wine, on occasion.

This is my plan until Thanksgiving. At that point, we'll be going up north to stay with friends, then leaving for Italy. I have no doubt I'll gain back some weight during that time, so my goal is to lose weight now so at worst I'll just end up the year at my current weight.

So that's what's new with me.

Lin, that's great you're able to have all those foods in your house. I'm nowhere near being able to do that right now. Good for you.

Judy, I love how you plan ahead for these social events. I remember when you just let them derail you time and time again (which I also often do); watching you plan ahead is wonderful. You're the one in control, not the event.

Choosewell, fall colors actually don't last that long in New England/northern New York either. That's one of the reasons peak is so gorgeous -- all the trees go at once. It's very dramatic, and only lasts a few days. This year, we managed to hit peak, which I don't think we've done in a while. Here in Michigan, the season is more spread out and less dramatic. We're passing peak now, lots of leaves are down, but there are still many trees that look like they're on fire. I do love this time of year.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/194/down
Old 10-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Good luck, Lauren, with your two week moratorium on white flour and sugar. I remember how that helped you in the past. Just don't go beating yourself up over the hormonal weight gain. You can't help that. As for the rest, just move on and keep at it. You'll get there.

I was right about that pound I was up. It was the last of the water retention from TOM. I lost it and another, so I ended up with a 1 pound loss this week. Technically, I'm supposed to move to a lower target now, but I'm not going to reduce my target points until I stop losing weight. I did my videotape today. I've been rotating them, which is working really well. I don't get bored and they all have slightly different moves, so I'm getting some different muscles going each day.

One thing that's been helping me, I think, is that I've been slowly increasing my fiber by eating more whole grains. I have popcorn for my afternoon snack. I made some of my veggie-bean-and orzo soup, which I had with lunch. I put a few beans in my salad, too.

My writing is going well, too. I'm getting a handle on the plot, but I don't actually have it down to an outline, yet. I have to fill in some gaps and make some decisions in a couple of places where I have two ideas about which way the plot could go.

I hope you all are having a great week. Are you still moving?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:31 PM   #5  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Hey, Kids!

Well, Lin, you are soooo smart. I have a real problem getting in my proteins. I looked back and I think I have been a little light on them. Thanks for the reminder, you get a gold star.

Lauren, welcome back...this little hiccup might be what it takes to shock your body into the 180's. How's that for a positive spin?

You can't hurry love,
No, you just gotta wait.
Love don't come easy,
It's a game of give and take.

Just another variation on the turtle theme...dedicated tonight to Lauren. You're lucky you can't hear me sing, Diana Ross I am not!

Nighty-night. choosewell
Old 10-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #6  
consistent

Judy, go to bed. You can wash those windows tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:33 AM   #7  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Thanks for the serenade, Choosewell. I'll just substitute "thin" for "love" there (say, *that* certainly has interesting symbolic ramifications ...).

Lin, glad you lost that extra water plus another pound. And WTG on the exercising! I'm still not where I want to be with that one.

Well, yesterday was my first low-carb day. It was easier than I thought it would be, though I certainly wouldn't do this long term. I also lost 3 pounds. Obviously, I've discovered a very efficient way to deflate water retention. This in spite of still being in the throes of PMS. I'll remember this next month.

I'm tracking what I'm eating, since I still want to stick to Weight Watchers. Yesterday I was just about at my point target. (I haven't finished writing it down yet.)

Today is my formal weigh-in for the week; I'll go to WW tonight. I need to find a new leader, though. This one uses the meetings for self therapy.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/191/down
Old 10-21-2003, 10:35 AM   #8  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
Lin,
I think it's great that a friend of your son's actually noticed that you are not setting up a diet only environment. Then the second thing that is so great is that you eat what you choose from the foods available in the house. I'm not there yet, but if my dh brings in things I don't want around, it's okay with me as long as they're not directly under my nose! It's also fabulous that you're down another real pound. You're doing great.

Lauren,
First of all, your second post: I think it's fabulous that you've knocked off three of those miserable pounds so quickly. I'm so happy that you've figured out a way to stop the gaining cycle. I hear you big time about struggling with the program. This fast lost will be a great incentive to keep things going. Good luck and lots of hugs.

Choosewell,
Thanks for the song! It was a cute lilting lift. Loved it. I haven't gotten to a window yet and I'm not quite sure that I will be anytime soon. The most exercise I might get with that idea is dialing a crew to come in and get the windows done.

As far as me,
I'm doing fine. This week had lots of starts and stops to it. First of all I had to plan for the unexpected family get togethers, then we had 2 inches of water covering our basement floor that we had to take care of. All very stressful. Very interesting that as soon as the basement flooded I got *very hungry*. Now, of course I wasn't any more hungry than at other times, but my body sure as heck didn't know that and I had to drink lots of water to overcome that empty feeling. Dealing with the water in the basement and the furniture , etc. etc. had me pushing the treadmill out of the picture. Now things are more or less back to normal and I can get to the exercise again. I'd love to lose weight at my official WI tomorrow, but we'll have to see.

Lauren,
Thanks for reminding me of all the times I derailed myself with social commitments. I really am very lucky and get to do a lot with other people. Now I am working on planning and preparing how to do that and still lose weight. Flexpoints help me a lot.

Gotta run and not do windows.
Everybody stay happy.
Love ya',
Judy
Old 10-21-2003, 12:56 PM   #9  
consistent

We are Turtles and We Don't Do Windows! Sorry to hear about the wet basement, Judy.

You are so right about finding the right leader at WW meetings, Lauren. In the past I think I lost interest in the program because I lost interest in the leader. Oh! Now THERE's an idea...switch leaders instead of just throwing up my hands and quitting. What a concept.

Lin, I forgot to congratulate you on that pound (and that other pound) last night. Are your clothes getting any looser?

I'm having fun writing these days, and more success than in the past. Just the idea that November 1 is the deadline for writing something else has spurred my word generator to go into production on this other project. Reiteration of the power of setting specific goals and deadlines, I guess.

Lauren, your remark on the substitution of 'love' for 'thin' was noted... and I'm with you. That's food...fuel...for thought...hmmmm....

Here is an article about a workplace that is fighting back against obesity:

http://www.workforce.com/section/02/.../05/index.html

I am eating an apple. Yum! choosewell.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #10  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, everyone,

Thanks for the gold star, Choosewell. Glad I could shed some light on what's happening. Love the song, and Lauren's new interpretation of it.

Yes, my clothes are getting a bit looser. I need to get a belt because the waists on my jeans are uncomfortably loose, but the hips are fitting just right so I can't decrease the size.

Interesting article. I like that they're making it voluntary. People don't take well to being forced to try to lose weight. But if they do it because they want to, then they tend to be successful.

Goals and deadlines are the key for me, too, especially with my writing. That November 1 deadline is pushing me to get this plot worked out. I have a self-imposed deadline for the mystery plot of December 31. I want to start writing that one in January.

Yay, Lauren. I'm glad you managed to deflate the water thing. It's so uncomfortable when you're in tick mode. Good luck at WI and with finding a new leader. It is important to have someone who motivates you.

You said Yesterday I was just about at my point target. (I haven't finished writing it down yet.) May I give you a gentle reminder of something you also said? It's a paraphrase, but you once said that your weight loss was better if you didn't wait until the next day to write down your points, that it worked better if you write them down as you eat them. I just thought you might like to pay attention to whether you're slipping back into the habit of waiting too long to write them down. Good luck!

Hey, Judy. It's nice to hear from you. I've been wondering how you're doing. I guess the water in your basement had one good side effect--it alerted you to the probablity that you feel hungry when unexpected, stressful things happen. Now you can create a plan for the next time and drinking water was a great way to deal with it. Way to go!! Good luck with your WI tomorrow.

I'm doing fine, right on track with my food this week. I have a funny story for you about exercise, though. I was going crazy this morning. I was all set to do my toning tape and I couldn't find the TV remote. Well, I couldn't figure out how to switch the TV to video without the remote, so I started hunting. I looked everywhere. Under the couch. Under the printer stand. Behind the TV. I opened the door to my son's room and scanned his bookcase and the top of his desk in case he had it in his hand when he went to bed last night. I woke him up and asked him. Predictably, he said that he didn't do anything with it. I got a lot of exercise from that search.

Finally, I gave up and decided I'd wait until he got up and make him search for it. So, I sat down to write and time passed. It's now lunchtime. I trot into the kitchen and decide to have a baked fish filet sandwich with my soup. I open the drawer to look for the soup ladle and it wasn't there. It turns out the ladle was in the dishwasher and I just didn't see it. But, sitting in a pile of other utensils that belong in other drawers was--Ta Da!! The TV remote!! So, it looks like I have no excuses to skip the toning tape after all.

Hope you're all managing to get some motion in today.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #11  
consistent

Well, hello there...I didn't hear you come in!

You may now address me as Point 4. Once again, my weigh in revealed that I lost .4 pounds, total now 5.4. I think that's the third time for me. As we know... .4 is just lovely, or lovely enough for us turtles.

What else....tonight was the second evening that I got my Capricorn husband to walk 2 miles at the walking park. I mention that he's a Cap because I find that it's difficult to get him moving, but once he starts he doesn't stop. He's already reminding me that we'll be walking tomorrow! I have created a monster. If he keeps this up, I'll just end up losing weight.

Ladies, I am so glad we found each other. I feel lucky. And not pressured, which makes me feel even luckier. Slow and steady wins this race.

To each of you, good night. And a zippy day tomorrow!

choosewell.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #12  
Chick

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
Hope all is going well with our healthy new lifestyles. Keep on keepin' on.

Choosewell,
Wow! Weigh to go. Another .4 pound is fabulous. :clap: I am so happy you found this site for yourself and for us. You are a terrific addition to the turtles. You know what? We are all :luck:
to have you here. You're losing weight and we're getting your humor and insights.

So glad you got your dh up and out to the walk park. And according to your post, you'll both be there again today. Great!

Tonight is my WI. I'm hoping to lose almost another pound, but we'll see what the official scale says.

Lauren,
I hear you. Who wants to go to a WW mtg. and hear self therapy? We could all do a program like that. When Margo (my WW leader) imparts wisdom, I'll be sure to share it with you. In the meantime, I hope you find a leader who runs a meeting with the right ideas in mind--awards to the members, new food tips, and motivation to keep her members going.

Lin,
Keep on writing. I am so proud you found your tapes *and * your remote control. That is so funny and exactly the kind of thing that happens around here.

Everybody take care and keep on keepin' on.
Love,
Judy
Old 10-22-2003, 05:44 PM   #13  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hee ... Lin, I loved the remote control story. We're always finding stuff in weird places in our house, too. In our case, DH is an organization freak -- but his brain can be interesting. It's most important to him that he put something away, not that he can necessarily find it again. Good for you, being right on track -- and perservering in doing that exercise.

Choosewell, I'm very glad you joined us, too. I love your sense of fun and your insights. WTG on that turtle loss this week, too!! They're really adding up. Funny how those little losses (and gains) do that, isn't it?

Judy, hope you had a good meeting. Thanks for the offer to share insights from your leader. I will keep scouting around for a new one. At least the one I have is entertaining -- and she has kept off more than 100 pounds for 16 years. That alone keeps me going to her sometimes.

I'm on day three of my new plan. I was down again this morning, which is just weird. 3.5 pounds in 2 days. What this shows me is just how much water my body can carry around, and that eating carbs and sugar helps one retain water. This may be part of why it's good to eat carbs before you exercise (that and the fact that they give you instant energy). I'll be very interested to see how much comes back on when I go to part 2 of my plan and add back whole grains and complex carbs. I plan to just keep away from sugar (except for the occasional glass of wine) until Thanksgiving or so.

The best part is that I haven't craved sugar much at all. A little bit, but not bad. Nothing like I was a few days ago. I'm VERY grateful for this. Interestingly, this is what my WW leader talked about last night. She's very big on eating high fiber and high protein in order to keep blood sugars steady. I'm really seeing the wisdom in that.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 10-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #14  
Chick

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
Lauren,
I am so glad you've figured out how to get rid of pounds--whether they're extra water, etc. Glad this is working for you.
Continued good luck and weigh to go on the weight loss!

I had my WI tonight and am down another pound! This puts me at 218.2# I got a gold star for my bookmark. I'm down almost 16 pounds in 16 weeks of WW.

I've gotta run. You all take care and keep on keepin' on.
Love,
Judy

Here come the turtles--slow and steady
Yahoo

Old 10-23-2003, 08:58 AM   #15  
Chick

Thumbs down

Hi Turtles,
In my excitement and haste last night, I forgot to mention what my WW leader had focused on in her meeting. She handed out WW information about high carb eating plans, high protein eating plans, and a weekly action sheet with specific food choices to kick start a program. It's a week with each day totaling 20 points.
I can hear Lin groaning about the low points and their dangers already.
Then my leader went on to explain the sheets. She mentioned that lots of people didn't know that carbs include lettuce and veggies . In actuality I feel this is WW's answer to everyone who's hopping on the high protein bandwagon because the weight loss is quicker. However, she's preaching to the choir on this one because we turtles know that slow and steady works for us. There are times when I crave a steak and that's usually when
I've gone vegetarian for several days without realizing it. So then I eat beef or a pork chop. Also, I do lose better with protein than carbs, but I've always know that. I am simply not able or willing, nor do I find it necessary to give up all carbs. I like the ability to choose. In any case, Margo said that WW doesn't go along with fads. The program is based on scientific facts and research.. Anyway, you get the idea.
Have a great day and keep on keepin' on. We are all in a good place now.
Love,
Judy
234/218.2/thinner
Closed Thread