Carb Counters - WEEKLY CHAT - October 13th - 19th

View Full Version : WEEKLY CHAT - October 13th - 19th

Leenie
10-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Mine was so great, just the weather alone ahhhhhhhhhh !!!!!

I'll be back later.....

Hugs, Leenie

jane8760
10-13-2003, 09:54 AM
We had great weather on Saturday but Sunday it rained. I am in Massachusetts by the way.....but even the rain on Sunday didn't bother me. My husband had to get up and go to a meeting in the morning so I got up and cleaned the house. I put on some music and cleaned and cleaned. We went out later but it was just misting.

I was relatively well behaved over the weekend. I never have a problem with food, it is the alcohol. Friday nights we go out for a few beers :nono: and at dinner on Saturdays I like to have wine. My food choices were great though. When we went out on Saturday night I ordered my favorite Buffalo Chicken Salad with blue cheese dressing. Instead of getting the chicken tenders they usually serve with it I asked for grilled chicken. Still very good. They changed the way they serve it though...when it came to the table it was piled high with crispy tortilla strips :eek: I asked for a side plate and took them ALL off. I was so proud of myself.

Now on to this week. I am determined to be down another 2 this week. I know that to some on this plan that isn't much but for me that is good. I am down a total of 8 pounds and that has taken me 4 weeks. But I am not discouraged. When I was on Weight Watchers I would have been THRILLED with 8 pounds in 4 weeks. I know that most people on Atkins do better than that but I have always been a slow loser.

I am a little worried with the holidays coming and all....I want to be down a solid 15 by Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy the day. I am not a stuffing eater and at this point I could pass on the rolls but my husband makes KILLER mashed potatoes! And of course I have to have my cranberry sauce. I may look into making a carb friendly version to bring with me!
Anyone have one?

Well, I have to get back to work. I will check in later.
Have a great day all.

StorybookMama
10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Well, I can honestly say I don't feel guilty about snitching the raw cookie dough - because BOY have I been paying for it. I have felt so sick... not food poisoning sick either.... just because I have had zero sugar for 3 weeks and then BAM! I slammed my body with sugar and flour. It just wasn't ready.

I'll work on the low-carb pumpkin pie - but I don't think a low-carb cranberry sauce is even possible. You're dealing with fruit in the first place and fruit that is SO TART that sugar has to be added just to make it edible. I don't think that quantity of Splenda would taste good to anyone and the sugar helps it gel up, I think. You'd be better off with sf cranberry jello...:dizzy:

Got on the scale and wasn't surprised to see that I'm back up 2 pounds...

I'm back to strict induction again - no macadamia nuts either. Those things are dangerous!!

Leenie
10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

If I may give a little advice.... please this is very sincere. If you have a day where you make a mistake, do not weigh yourself the next day, just jump right back on the wagon and weigh yourself the following week BUT BUT BUT don't let that mistake become a 2 dayer or 3 day mistake, you have to be good the next day, keep your carbs real low and watch your calories. The mental anguish we put ourselves thru after a mistake is astonishing. It can make or break you so don't do it.

I screwed up sooooooo bad on saturday, I mean I ate everything not nailed down. I REFUSE to get on the scale until next weekend. I can't afford to be depressed and let ONE little slip up emotionally destroy me.

So try not to have slip ups BUT if you do, just get up, brush your knees off, stand tall and start again.

We can do this, you know we can, a slow loss is okay.....I'll repeat that A-SLOW-LOSS-IS-OKAY!!!!!

We don't need to race anyone we just need to get healthy.....
Next year at this time maybe we will be at or close to goal.... wouldn't that be glorious!!!!!

TwoPillows
10-13-2003, 03:43 PM
So true Leens...

it's so hard when we are aiming for ketosis, bacause you would think yes, a Snickers bar will knock you out of it and yet one time I had one and said I'm finished, no more... salad with grilled chicken for dinner, then start over tomorrow, and, just for fun I got out a ketostick in the morning, and I was still burning fat... had I made the snickers bar the excuse I needed to have pasta and bread for dinner. It would have been a real set back instead of a small bump in the long road. One meal, one day, even one week of going off plan, these are pretty easy to make up for.

Hi, I'm on day 2 of induction (this time around) I just got stinky breath, yay, now the head ache should ease up a bit.

KarenW
10-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Good morning everyone!

Had a good weekend, Saturday was DH's 40th Bday. I was really sick still, but we still had a great day!

Even being sick, I havent had a problem with sticking to this WOE. I am proud to say I am down 1.5 pounds this week for a total of 19.5 pounds! WOO HOO!!!

FOr those of you who had slip ups, dont lose heart! We are all human! But Leens, I have to disagree with you about not getting on the scale. For me anyway. If I eat something that might not be on plan, I have to see the damage, that just cements my resolve to keep sticking with it. I know what the plan is, and how my body reacts. And even in the NDR book Dr. Atkins talks about using the scale and Ketostix to see how you body reacts to certain foods or if you are on OWL and higher levels to see when you stop losing and start gaining. BUT this might not work for everyone. But for me it is motivation, not detriment.

Just my .02!

LindaBC
10-13-2003, 04:10 PM
I didn't slip up. I had a "planned treat". hehe. Well, it's Canadian Thanksgiving so I gave myself permission to have a dinner roll and some potatoes and I have to say I enjoyed every mouthful. Also the cheesecake which definitely was NOT low carb but I only had a sliver.
Then I had my WI this morning and was only down 1/2 lb for the week but a couple of inches as well scattered here and there (never from where I want them to go tho). Today, I'm back OP and determined to stay there for the rest of the week.

Froufy
10-13-2003, 10:06 PM
Congrats to all who have lost weight this week....I am still hanging in.

TOM has arrived, and as usual for some obscure reason this seems to knock me out of ketosis? Very strange, but have read of a few others who have this same reaction. Leens as you mentioned about not weighing ourselves, for me it is sometimes not testing with the sticks...like today. It does depress me to see a "negative' reading, and in the back of my mind a little voice says "you're out of ketosis...so why bother?":devil: :devil:

I am excited tho, cuz while I usually barely lose weight the two weeks prior to TOM, I usually do lose a couple of pounds once it is over...this keeps me going. I hope this cycle provides further confirmation of this phenomenon!;)

Went to Sister in law's for big thanksgiving turkey feast. I did encounter some problems and learned some rules. Never assume that the veggies that will be served with the turkey are going to be atkins friendly/low carb. Along with the turkey came: stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, peas and corn!:?: What's a girl to do?

I had LOTS of turkey with a tablespoon of gravy, a spoon of stuffing, and a tablespoon each of peas and corns...I'm sure everyone (14 guests) thought I was some kind of veggie hating CARNIVORE!...:lol: :lol:

Dessert was PIES...but I did bring along a huge bowl of sf chocolate mousse for sharing, which I really enjoyed....coffee was served with MILK, no cream, and I did have one glass of red wine.

All in all I did pretty well considering, and am still full so barely ate any dinner. Still drinking more water, and hoping not too much damage done.

So should I weigh myself tomorrow or not? I will confess that I am scale-obsessed and find it VERY HARD not to hop on every morning. I agree with Leens tho that if it does affect you in a negative way, sitting it out might be preferred! I try not to feel guily if I eat something off plan...just figure I'm only human, and this is a lifelong change and it's okay to falter a bit along the journey.

Froufy:cool:

LindaBC
10-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Froufy, pretend that you've already weighed and that the news was bad. Stay off that scale! Try to stay off it for a couple of days and drink lots and lots of water. That's what I'm doing and I'm beating a path to the bathroom but if that's what it takes to lose that Thanksgiving dinner, then so be it.

dinki
10-14-2003, 01:38 AM
Well Ladies just wait until our Thanksgiving, I'm sure I will have some confessions. I think you did well, after all it is only 1 day a year.

I had a good weekend, I feel like this diet is getting easier and easier as time goes on. I keep finding more that I can eat. I found the Atkins ice cream fudge bars and they are delicious.

I had 1 pound weight loss this past week. That makes a total of 3 pounds lost!!!! YEA

Dinki

barbmarie
10-14-2003, 03:53 AM
Froufy, what I did after I gained 2lbs last week was to have my husband hide the scale and not give it back until this morning. I was killing myself stepping on and off everytime I went to the bathroom. I will have him put it away again in the morning.

jdoggmartin
10-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Great job on the losses, ladies!! And, I'm so impressed at the Canadian ladies -- you all seem to realize that Thanksgiving was only one day, and that you will be back on track today -- what a great attitude! I hope you all enjoyed yourself on your holiday!

As for me, I have been on induction for one full week. The first three days were hard, but from then on, it's been great! I really love Atkins! The best part.... Yesterday I weighed in at TOPS, and drumroll please... I lost 8.5 pounds in my first week!! That is so amazing to me. I've spent months stuck at the same weight, and then, within one week of Atkins, I've made a huge dent in my weight loss! I'm so motivated to keep going and lose the rest!! Let me say it again: I love Atkins!! :D

So, it will be more of the same this week. I've found out that one of my favorite "treats" on this diet is coffee with cream and Splenda. I didn't even think I liked coffee! But, it's so wonderful. I use it as my dessert. I also really liked the pork rinds French toast. It tasted so much like French toast, just a little more rubbery!

Well, I hope everyone else is doing well, and I hope everyone has a good week!!

Take care,
Jina

Froufy
10-14-2003, 09:38 AM
WOW JINA!!! Great Job...you must be walkin on cloud 9....nice to know all your efforts have paid off, and you sound like you are well on your way. Keep up the good work. Also congrats to Dinki, sounds like you are also doing GREAT!

I also enjoy coffee as "dessert" altho I have weaned myself off of sugar in my coffee, so no splenda for me...I do love the REAL CREAM tho...what a treat! Have yet to get into the pork rinds thing - just the name turns me off...lol. Have tried a few (bbq) but found they too salty and not that yummy. Have to try the french toast tho as I have heard many raving about it.

No need to HIDE THE SCALE - altho I have done that before..as I am down this morning...despite some extra goodies....my lowest yet 188.4 (The TOM weight loss phemonmenon continues). I hope to lose at least another lb before the end of the week if all goes well. I am almost at 32 lbs lost and I can hardly believe it!

Even if I wanted to ask dh to hide the scale I don't think he would...now that he is low carbing he is worse than me!..and jumps on and off several time in the am to see how low the number go...and he records the # on a daily basis on a piece of paper...something I won't do!

Back at work today, altho I don't want to be here, munching on a couple of Atkins banana nut muffins, with butter and decaf w/cream. Need to buy some more mix, altho it is very expensive here. Both dh and I are low carbing so the muffins don't last too long. May try another flavor if only 2 grams each like the banana ones.

No plans for dinner which is dangerous. Need to stop at Fruit and Veggie store prior to picking up daughter after school. Need to stock up on fresh veggies, berries and they have a meat/fish section, so may get some stir fry beef strips to add to veggies for dinner. Lunch may be out - if I don't get stuck at work at lunchtime I need to get out to run some errands, so may have to find a salad or something good out there...wish me luck!

KarenW
10-14-2003, 10:06 AM
JINA - WTG! :clap: Isnt atkins great! Do share your French toast Recipe! I havent seen that one yet! I love pork rinds. I used to love them as a kid, and still love them now!

I am still suffering with my cold. I am going to give myself one more day off from the gym then go back tomorrow. I still have that crud in my throught and it gets hard to breathe sometimes. Sigh...

I have a full day today! working my son's classroom, then daisy scouts, DD's soccer practice, then GS Leader Meeting tonight. MAN! what am I doing to myself???

Tomorrow I have NOTHING so I can stay home and do stuff for ME! :)

Talk to you all later! :)

Leenie
10-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by KarenW
But Leens, I have to disagree with you about not getting on the scale. For me anyway. If I eat something that might not be on plan, I have to see the damage, that just cements my resolve to keep sticking with it. I know what the plan is, and how my body reacts. And even in the NDR book Dr. Atkins talks about using the scale and Ketostix to see how you body reacts to certain foods or if you are on OWL and higher levels to see when you stop losing and start gaining. BUT this might not work for everyone. But for me it is motivation, not detriment.
Just my .02!

Karen I agree with you 100%, but, thats if you can emotionally handle the scale going up. I can't and will stress out, it would litterly ruin me for the next few days. I think thats why diets have failed me in the past. This time around for me, I will not let something so petty as a pound or two get me down :no: I plan to beat this thing and this is what works for me :D Wish I was more like you :(

I'm so happy to see everyone doing so well, your all such an inspiration. Keeps me going.

Bravo on everyone who got back on track after T-Day :bravo:

Can't wait until our T-day, I have my sweetpotato casserole w/strusel topping alllllll ready to go !! lol.

Hugs :)

jdoggmartin
10-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks, ladies!! I hope you get to feeling better, Karen. Colds are miserable. And, I'm quite the pork rind fan myself! I've always loved them. And, how awesome is it that they are allowed on Atkins??? Life couldn't be better! :D

Here's the French toast recipe:

2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 packages of Splenda
Cinnamon to taste
1/2 of a 3 oz. bag of pork rinds

(1). Mix eggs, cream, sweetner and cinnamon.
(2). Crush pork rinds and mix with above mixture.
(3). Allow to soak until it becomes a very thick and goopy batter.
(4). Fry pancake style in butter until browned and flip over. Cook until done as you would French toast or pancakes.

Enjoy!!

Take care,
Jina

jane8760
10-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was a good day eating wise. My ratio's were right on target. Today I am a little high in fat :eek: so I don't want to keep doing that. I don't know what I am going to have for dinner tonight. This WOE is so easy but my husband is getting very tired of meat all the time. He has very high cholesterol so I am concerned for him. It would be ok if he was following the Atkins plan but he isn't so he is getting high fat and carbs in his diet. He is usually very careful though so I will try not to kill him:D

I may have some steak tips tonight but I need a quick marinade because I forgot to put them in something before I left for work. Anyone have any ideas?

Did anyone see my post yesterday looking for a tomato sauce recipe. I made the Atkins baked meatballs last night and I am dying to have them with tomato sauce. I bought a can of Contadina Tomato Suace last night and it has only 3 net grams in it. I thought I could just doctor that up a bit. Would love some other ideas.

I will be down 10 pounds by the end of this week (with any luck) and I am surprised that my size hasn't changed. I am not freakin out about this or anything but I am a little disappointed. I thought I could start getting into some smaller clothes in my closet. My husband (God bless his sensitive heart) told me that that must mean I was maxing out in my size 14's so it will take me longer to change sizes. He is special :s:
I do notice that my shirts are smaller though...that is weird. But I will take it.

Well, I am going back to work...will check in later.
Jane

angel-eyes
10-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Hi Froufy. I also enjoy the Atkins muffin mix, and have tried the cranberry flavour. LOVE IT!!! They are also only 2gr each. I thought the banana nut muffins were 8 grams. I can't wait to try Jina's french toast recipie. YUMM!!
A friend is meeting me for lunch tommorow and there's a new restaurant that is opening soon (may be already open) that JUST serves LO CARB meals. I CAN'T WAIT!! Hope everyone is staying on plan, hump day tommorow!!

jane8760
10-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Froufy and Angel-Eyes:

I am wondering if you are on OWL or still induction while eating the Atkins muffins. I am past my two weeks but still have 15 more pounds to go so other than adding a nut or two I have not added those items yet.

angel-eyes
10-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi Jane. The Atkins muffin mixes are suitable for all phases including induction. I consider myself still on induction but eat occasionally a muffin here and there or the tortilla's. I think I made the muffins about 3 weeks ago and I still have about 9. I am definitely eating LESS THAN 20 gr carbs and have been getting very creative with some of my meals/sidedishes. In doing that, I find myself not bored with just meat, cheese and eggs. For breakfast this morning I had your zuccinni pancakes, for supper I had salmon fishcakes with a salad. Another dish I make is to fry a portobello mushroom in butter and serve it with melted cheese and homemade guacomole. YUMM!!! (I know it sounds gross, but it is really good!!) I consider the OWL to be increasing your increments of carbs to additional 5 carb levels and eating new foods. My foods really haven't changed, and if I'm not mistaken Atkins writes about these muffins in some of the induction 7 day recipie plans.

Froufy
10-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Actually the muffins or any grains are NOT part of induction! If you want to do a clean induction you must eat from the acceptable food list and stay below 20 grams of carbs.

I was actually on induction for almost 3 months...and only in the last month have I started climbing the carb ladder. There is an order and sequence to the introduction of additional carbs and this is found in the book. Grains is the last rung (9) of the ladder and you need to see how your body reacts with each additional new food and more carbs so you can see if you are sensitive to anything or not.

I just tried the muffins for the first time this week! (almost 4.5 months on Atkins) and also have had the occasional slice of lc bread....so far looks okay...and I am not going crazy on these things as I always thought that I would, especially after going without for so long!

Froufy

P.S. The recipe plans in the book were never re-edited and are from previous versions of the book where you could pick and choose where your 20 carbs came from, without having to stick to the list.

barbmarie
10-15-2003, 04:49 AM
Would the french toast be somewhat salty? Or can you buy unsalted pork rinds? Can't wait to try this one out!

Leenie
10-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Barb alot of companies are now making pork rinds, I just found a brand yesterday that is AWESOME !!! Herr's and are they ever good, the best ones' I've tried.

Good Morning Everyone :)

jdoggmartin
10-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Barb: I didn't notice the salt in the French Toast -- maybe the cream and Splenda counteract it?? :) I just used regular, plain pork rinds. The texture is a little strange since it is pork rinds as opposed to bread -- a little rubbery -- but the taste is great!!

Another wonderful use I found for pork rinds last night -- grind them up and use them as breading for meat. I ground the pork rinds in a food chopper/processor, and then I added some dry ranch dressing to them (You wouldn't have to add the dressing to them.). I made chicken breasts, and they were awesome!

I love pork rinds and Atkins!!

Jina

jane8760
10-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Ok, you have to forgive the girl from the north but what the heck are pork rinds? Are they what I am thinking? Please tell me no.

KarenW
10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Oh Jane.. yep.. that is what they are, POrk skin that has been deep fried. ) carbs, and you can get them in a variety of flavors, plain, Hot an spicy, BBQ...

they sound disgusting, I agree, but they are delicious if you like chips and salty stuff...IMHO!

Froufy
10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Very wet and blustery day out there...started last night and supposed to rain until this evening! YUCK!

Feeling tired and cranky, due to fight with dd last night (she's a tough cookie to deal with sometimes...11 going on 20!), and not much sleep. Woke up at 4:30 am with headache so took two pills and tried to fall back asleep - what a joke!:dizzy:

Doing okay eating-wise as once TOM arrives I find I don't have much appetite...just eat to eat cuz I have too...don't care too much what! Very strange behaviour. Scale at an ultimate low of 188 this morning for a grand total of 32 lbs!

Tried on my checked black/white pants this morning...like I really thought I was going to wear them..have not worn them since last fall (warmer pants)...I looked like a clown in balloon pants, very funny...time to get rid of those as well. My wardrobe is shrinking along with me...ha ha:lol:

As for pork rinds...I can hardly say the words...took me a while to even try some..but everyone was raving about them. Very hard to find in Canada (lack of pigs?...I don't think so!)...but finally found them in one drug store in the supplements section (someone there must be on Atkins!). Bought a couple of bags: plain and bbq....dh and I tried the plain. Personally I did not like them and found them EXTREMELY SALTY....and we still have 1/2 bag of the bbq ones lying around somewhere. I may investigate using them as breading or otherwise? And I guess if I should find another brand I should try them out. (And I absolutely love potato chips - they are my downfall, so I'm surprised that I don't enjoy the pork rinds...maybe with an onion/sour cream dip?)

Have a pile of chicken breasts in fridge to make cheesy chicken brocolli casserole, but may end up going out for dinner tonite if dh does not work too late!

StorybookMama
10-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Okay,

So, I admitted I ate the cookie dough, and I paid for it... but should I really have gained 5 pounds back from it????

I need to get some ketostix, I guess. Can I get them at the store or do I need to get them online?

I weighed 278 this morning post-shower. :?: I'm not giving up, just disappointed that cookie dough would really have that much of an effect on me. I didn't eat THAT Much of it...

So, I can understand not getting on the scale, but this just reinforces my need to be on induction strictly and encourages me not to cheat... I guess.

I'll get back on the scale next weekend again and see how I'm doing.

Not going to adjust my signature just yet - have to see if it's just a temporary gain back of water, etc....

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe....

:ink:

StarPrincess
10-15-2003, 12:11 PM
While we're confessing, I was so bad last night! Some friends from out of town magically appeared and my quiet evening at home turned into a long night of drinking. :hat: So today, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep and some dehydration (happily, no hangover) To make matters worse, because I'm so tired, I endulged in bad, fully caffeinated coffee! :s:

I'm not feeling guilty, but confessing makes me rededicate myself. :)

On the pork rinds, I found a brand called Gram's Gourmet that makes some devine sweet cinnamon and butter pork rinds. They're made with splenda and taste wonderful!

I am in huge debt to the person who enlightened me on sugar alcohols. Since I stoped using them, I've gotten over my stall and am losing about 1/2 a pound a day! :cb:

Leenie
10-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Lisa, the one thing in Atkins' book that scares the crap out of me is this one little comment:

"One bite could be the kiss of death on this diet"

Thats enough to keep me some what faithful (well until my planned cheat days lol ).

If your the type thats gonna take a bite here and there then getting on the scale is the best thing you've done for yourself.

The scale scares me lolol :fr:

KarenW
10-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Froufy - Have you tried the Buffalo Chicken Thighs? You use 1/2 cup of crushed BBQ or Hot and Spicy Pork Rinds as a bredding on the chicken and hten pan fry... they are sooo good! Even Hubby loved them! Serve with Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing to dip in! YUM!

Lisa - Ditto for what Leens said about the Kiss of Death. I have talked to several people who had a little cheat (tiny compared to what we would normally concider a cheat) and gain 5 pounds or more in a day. That is why I never taste ANYTHING when I am baking! It is hard.. but I do it!

Star Princess - Could you share your new found knowledge of Sugar Alcohols with us? I am still confused on that issue!

As for me, I am back to the gym today after a week off. And boy could I tell! I did fine on the Eliptical, but I had to drop the reps on the weights a bit today! But my body is so happy now! I bet I will be sore tmo!

talk to you all later! :)

StorybookMama
10-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone on the kiss of death replies. How sad for me... oh well, back to square one!!

Isn't Splenda a sugar alcohol, too? Maybe I should be giving up my coffee with cream and Splenda. I seem to do better without it and think I'll just give up cream altogether.

No more baking for me. Period... for a long time because I know myself well enough to know that when it comes to will power, I don't have it with cookie dough.

A little brag here for me though. I'm back on program this week and my dh tried to force feed me a chicken nugget. He said "one nugget won't hurt you..." I said "yes, it will and I won't eat it." He put it down on my coffee cup lid (we were in the car and I was driving) and I said "roll down your window" and so he did and I chucked the nugget out the window on the freeway. I think he decided I was serious about not eating the nugget... LOL!!

StarPrincess
10-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Kokoloo shared an article about the whole sugar alcohol thing. The bottom line is that while sugar alcohols do not affect your blood sugar, they are metabolized by our bodies. We subtract fiber from our carb count because it isn't metabolized at all but since we do metabolize sugar alcohols, the argument is that we should count them in our daily carb intake.

It made some sense to me so I took a very deep breath and said goodbye to candy. The results I've had are really amazing. But it does make me a little angry to feel like I was really misled by all the low carb products that say sugar alcohols don't count. For me at least, they really do!

As backup for my own experience, I use ketone sticks on a regular basis. When I was eating my sugar free candy, I stayed in the pink range. Since cutting out the sugar alcohols, I can have a glass or two of red wine with dinner and still be a lovely dark purple in the morning. That's evidence enough for me! :smug:

StarPrincess
10-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Lisa - no, splenda is sucralose and not a sugar alcohol (thank goodness!) And :bravo: on the chicken nugget victory! That cracked me up!

LindaBC
10-15-2003, 04:02 PM
That's all very interesting about the sugar alcohols, etc. I rarely take a drink of any kind though so I guess I don't have to worry about that, at least. One thing I have cut way back on is Splenda. In Canada we can still get liquid Sucaryl with cyclamates and I much prefer it for sweetening just about everything without it affecting my blood sugar. I'm not trying to do any l.c. baking lately because it tends to tempt me too much.

As for fried pork rinds, I'm also in Canada and have no problem buying them at Superstore and occasionally at Safeway. We can only get plain (salted) and bbq. Somebody posted a recipe somewhere on making cinnamon pork rinds which involved using melted butter, Splenda and cinnamon. They claimed they were excellent. I mainly use them to make mock French toast (more like pancakes) and breading chicken strips. Mix some ground flax seed into the pork rind crumbs as well. Not bad. Even dh didn't realise he wasn't eating breading.

Froufy
10-15-2003, 04:40 PM
So there I was driving along the freeway, minding my own business, with my window wide open enjoying the fresh air...when all of a sudden A LONE CHICKEN NUGGET landed on my lap?

What is this I wondered? Was I imagining things? It must be all that sugar alcohol I've been ingesting!

Anyhow I dipped it in some crushed bbq pork rinds and ate it - it was DELISH!

Froufy :)

(sorry I couldn't resist!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :D )

StorybookMama
10-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Froufy - I'm totally cracking up over here. My coworkers are looking at me strangely...

Now you've given me the giggles....

Thanks,

angel-eyes
10-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks Froufy.....you drove over that chicken nugget smushing it and then it bounced up and THUD.....landed on my windsheild......smucking grease and crumbs all over the place. COULDN'T SEE WORTH A DARN!!!! hate when that happens....LOL

StarPrincess
10-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Linda - Just for clarification, sugar alcohols are a sugar substitute. It's frequently used in sugar free candy, chocolate, and ice cream.

Froufy - I can not stop laughing! Thanks for the added abdominal exercise :jig:

StorybookMama
10-15-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm still laughing over here, too. Next time dh tries to feed me something I can't have, I'll launch it into orbit and see what country/state it lands in. :lol:

jdoggmartin
10-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Funny, funny stuff!! I'll now know to watch out for flying hunks of processed meat when I'm driving! :D

OK. I'm a pork rind nut. LindaBC mentioned the pork rinds with cinnamon, Splenda and butter. Does anyone have that recipe? I'll add it to my plentiful supply of pork rind recipes. I swear I can't get enough of those things!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Take care,
Jina

Froufy
10-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Good Thursday Morning,

Glad you all enjoyed my tale...I couldn't help it when I had the "visual" of chicken nuggets flying all over the freeway!lol

No rain, brightening up but very nippy today, and all the leaves have fallen due to yesterday's heavy winds. Time to start bundling up.

My biggest dilemma these days is getting dressed in the mornings....I really need to clean out the cupboard as I can no longer wear at least 50% of the stuff in there....at least not without looking a bit funny. I spent 15 minutes looking for a pair of black tights (and this made me late for work) - nowhere to be found....were once tight and relegated to the bottom of a drawer somewhere. Also wanted to wear this warm cotton burgundy mock neck sweater that I own (I think it's XL or XXL?)...had this big baggy mushroom baggy thing at the happening at the bottom I looked weird in it...so that was out! I don't want to go shopping, still have stuff I can soon fit into.....very frustrating.

Wearing something a bit tight on the chest (if you got it flaunt it) but still okay (black and white striped t-shirt, horizontal no less, with matching t-shirt long sweater in opposite stripes...very cute), and my black cotton pants (a bit loose but still okay). Had to put insoles in my shoes cuz they were slipping off!

Also REALLY need to get a ring guard for my pearl/diamond ring on right hand...it's slipping as I walk and hand pointing down!

Scale reading ultimate low of 187.6 this morning and I am THRILLED. As predicted I usually lose the most weight right after TOM...then the other 3 weeks I tend to hover/fluctuate around the same lb or two....oh well...at least it's working!

Hope everyone is doing well...Karen, how's the cold? Jina, are you excited to see next week's results? I am excited for you!

Going to the dentist for a cleaning this pm...weird phenomenon - and it's not just me, as I have noted this on other low carb boards, but some low carbers tend to have more plaque/tartar buildup after starting this diet. I noticed this shortly after starting, and thought it was just me, but have since noted others have the same problem, and in the same spot (inside bottom front teeth) - another atkins idiosyncracy??? So now I'm supposed to go for more frequent cleanings, not just every 6 months :D :D (notice my bright smile?)

KarenW
10-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Froufy - You crack me up! :):) Now I have that visual of the flying Chicken Nugget! My kids are looking at me strangely!

I do have that phenomenon too! I thought I was just being weird.. but I am glad to hear it isnt just me.

I will try to stop by later.. working in DD's Classroom today!

jdoggmartin
10-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Hey, Froufy! I know what you mean about the baggy clothes. Before I went on Atkins, I lost 20 pounds (then I got stuck forever at the same weight). I don't have tons of money to spend on new clothes, especially temporary clothes, so I just bought one pair of jeans to fit me. So, one pair of pants I own fits me well. The others have to be rigged up with belts, and I tend to look like a clown. (Fortunately, I work out of my home, so I don't have to expose too many people to my clownish look...) But, I guess the clown look is good, right? It means we're losing!

Yay!! It's finally cooled off here. In Florida, "cool" is no humidity and about 80, but it still feels cool to me! And, it gets downright cold at night -- upper 60s...brr!! :D Maybe I'll be able to start wearing warmer, bulkier clothes so the clown look might not be as noticeable.

And, yes, I am anxious to weigh-in next week. I don't feel like I'm losing weight this week. Last week, I really felt like I was losing since I had all the Atkins signs -- bad breath, headache, etc. This week, I feel great, and I'm eating all these great foods (pork rinds)!! It just doesn't seem like I should be losing weight. And, I'm a little worried about my cream intake. I read that cream can slow weightloss in some people. I recently got addicted to coffee with 2 oz. of cream every morning. I guess I'll see what my weightloss is this week, and then adjust it, if needed.

Well, I hope everyone else is doing well. Keep those chicken-nugget chucking stories coming! I'm still giggling about that one... :lol:

Take care,
Jina

Kim in NJ
10-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Froufy - You are a nut! I am in the same boat as you...clothes too big and my rings and shoes keep sliding off. NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING!!!! But it is somewhat annoying for now.

Anyone else have MAJOR weight fluctuations mid week? I find this so odd and it's killing me. I don't really care about it because I am not cheating and I will continue to work at this. I have yet to start a formalized exercise routine and I need to do that very soon - just procrastinating now! Today though I am up 4 lbs. since last Friday. Worse yet is that last Friday was ending TOM so I should be free of all that water weight now. For some reason every week I am up in the middle of the week and then by Saturday I actually lose weight for the week. SO ODD!

My clothes are definitely fitting me differently and my old body fat of 54% is now stable at 50% and on many weigh in occassions 49%. I will keep at this - it's just kind of discouraging to me.

d_rowland
10-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Still alive and kicking - working practially two jobs right now, so I'm swamped. Sounds like everyone is hanging in there.

My scale has a dead battery, I'm leaving it that way until next Monday - TOM this week and I've been doing good - hopefully will have a nice surprise - I feel like I've lost . . .

Got the South Beach Diet book today and am reading it - very similar to Atkins, but they stay with leaner meats and start adding back some lo-impact carbs after the first two weeks - good reading on how Dr. Atkins has the right idea in lowering carbs and what they do to the body. It is written by a cardiologist. Reminds me ALOT of Sugarbusters.

angel-eyes
10-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey Jina. Your post of the cinnamon pork rinds intrigued me so I was a guina pig for my own concoction. I took a tsp of butter and melted it, added lots of cinnamon and a small smidge of splenda and drizzled it over the porkrinds. They were very very yummy!! Not sure if this is how LindaBC had them, but none the less I'd do it again. Then I thought....ohhh, this would be good occasionally on .......a rollup (latortilla factory 3gr carbs).....an atkins muffin (2gr carbs).....those mock porkrind french toasts.....THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!! *before I drizzled the butter/cinn.stuff I also dipped the porkrinds into the bowl of butter/cin stuff. It does cool off fast, so either way works.

StarPrincess
10-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Hey Everyone!

I had the most pathetically exciting moment today and just wanted to share. This morning as I was getting dressed, I stopped to take a good body eval in the mirror. This alone is amazing but it gets better. :) So I'm standing there and then I decided to see what I'll look like when I've lost more weight. I tightened my stomach and lifted my arms up (kindof thins you out) and you'll never believe what I saw - a RIB!!!! I almost went into hysterics and my husband had to come flying into the room to see what was wrong with me. I haven't been able to see a rib on me in a good 8 years. True, it stays hidden safely beneath my flesh when I'm standing normally but how wonderful to know that it's still there. :lol: I'm such a dork - but I'm a happy dork!

I've also found a solution to the clothing dilemma. First, I've developed a love for second-hand stores. I can get good clothes for very little money. Second, I have an atkins buddy that is about 2 sizes behind me in clothing. We go shopping together and often she'll pay for some of my clothes because when I shrink out of them, she's shrinking into them. We both end up with clothes that we like and we're sharing the cost.

Leenie
10-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by StorybookMama
A little brag here for me though. I'm back on program this week and my dh tried to force feed me a chicken nugget. He said "one nugget won't hurt you..." I said "yes, it will and I won't eat it." He put it down on my coffee cup lid (we were in the car and I was driving) and I said "roll down your window" and so he did and I chucked the nugget out the window on the freeway. I think he decided I was serious about not eating the nugget... LOL!!

OMG, you showed him who's boss !!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

I would have LOVED to have seen his face..... SHE'S HOT!!

angel-eyes
10-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Super sleuth that I am, .....I found the recipie for the sweet cinnamon pork rinds. Its pretty simple and I was on the right track. Here it is......

Dip plain pork rinds in melted butter place on cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda bake on 350 for 3 to 4 min.
Eat hot or cold. great

jdoggmartin
10-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Ooh... those cinnamon pork rinds sound great!! Great detective work, angel-eyes!! Thanks!! Yet another wonderful use for deep-fried pig skin!!

Take care,
Jina

Leenie
10-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Angel-eyes, I wonder instead of dipping them in butter (to save calories) if you could just spray them w/pam and then bake them w/the splenda & cinnamon ?

Ohh guess what I'm doing this weekend.... :D

jdoggmartin
10-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Hey! How is everyone doing? Are you all ready for the weekend? I know I am. I am headed home (Kansas) -- usually that would spell disaster for healthy eating. But, I've warned my parents ahead of time what I can and can't eat, and I really think they'll be accomodating and not force feed me anything bad!

I had some questions for everyone:

How many of you stayed/are staying on induction longer than two weeks? Are you seeing good results by doing that?

How many of you count calories or watch your caloric intake? How important is this?

Have a great weekend!!

Take care,
Jina

jane8760
10-17-2003, 09:34 AM
Good morning all.

My official weight as of today is 164! Down 10:bravo:

I still haven't changed sizes but I am working on it. My tops are bigger so I know some of the weight came from there....today I am even wearing a "big girl" bra. One with underwires and everything! I haven't done that in years....I usually where a sporty kind of lycra bra. A friend at work says it makes me look like I have a unaboob!
Not today.....today I have the 18 hour look going!
Non-scale victory!

I went to this store near me yesterday, it is called Grandma's Guilt Free Goodies. They have all low carb food. Unbelievable! I bought some of the wheat LaTortilla Factory tortillas. I ate one in the car because I hadn't had lunch and it was so good! I thought it was going to taste like cardboard. Tonight I am going to make a pizza out of a garlic herb one with some Walden Farms Bruscetta with cheese and pepperoni! :D It sure doesn't take much to make me happy.
They also had these mini cheesecakes that have only 2 net grams in them! When I reach my goal I am definitely going to go and get some of those. They do have a web site www.guilt-free.com. I know you can have things shipped if anyone is interested. I think it is kind of a mom and pop store so I don't know how impressive the web site is. I haven't checked it out yet.

Speaking of rewards, I bought myself a new leather jacket yesterday for my 10 pound loss. I have been wanting a new one so I just did it. I deserve it. I had such a busy day.....I am having surgery on the 27th so I had to drive into Boston for my pre-op with the specialist and then I had to go the hospital to speak with a nurse and the anesthesiologist! By the time I got out of there I was a little stressed so I went shopping :dancer:

Well, I should get to work. I will check in with you all later to see how everyone is doing.

jane8760
10-17-2003, 09:46 AM
jdoggmartin

I am still doing the induction part of the diet. With a few exceptions. I am not being as strict as I was the first two weeks but I am not moving onto the OWL phase until I reach my goal. The only thing I have added is some wine, nuts and the low carb tortillas once or twice a week. I am not introducing fruit or other low carb breads, pasta etc. yet. I think I will have to do this until I lose all my weight.

As for calories, yes I do count them as well as my carbs. I try to stay below 1500 calories and of course below my 20 grams of carbs each day. So far so good. I do want to lower my fat intake a little though. I am going to go back to light mayo for instance. It has only 1 gram of carbs and half the fat. I want to cut some fat wherever I can.

Have a good trip home.

angel-eyes
10-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Yup me too!! I'm still on induction and have been on it since Sept 1. I also add a little leeway on my carbs but definitely don't go over my limit of 20 carbs. I made some Atkins muffins (suitable for induction) 3 weeks ago and I still have about 8 left. The latortilla factory tortilla's (3net carbs)....LOVE THEM TOO!! I froze mine and pull one out whenever I want one. Those are the only splurges I have, and still enjoy the induction WOE. As of today, I've lost 16 LBS!!!! So it must be working and I'm doing something right.

Froufy
10-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone,

Hey star princess congrats on finding that rib..I have not seen any ribs on my body since about the age of 5???

Jane...you are doing AWESOME...and I bet you look fabulous in the new leather jacket.

Jina...have fun at home..and be prepared to be strong should temptation present itself. As for induction...I was on induction for a very long time...about 3 months..and only started adding in additional items in the last month.

If you are moving to OWL you should try and follow the progression of additional foods as in the book and you might want to stay a couple of weeks at each rung (which is what I'm doing to ensure I can monitor any adverse reactions). I have added a very little fruit (melon, berries) and only have it maybe 2-3 times per week, the same for full fat yogurt and cottage cheese. I occasionally have 1 oz of sunflower seeds as a snack (only 3 carbs), but have learned that I cannot control my pecan consumption and so I avoid those.

I have recently found a local bread with is low carb (not actually advertised as such)...and while the slices are on the small side (think light bread), they are only 3.9 carbs per slice. I have just added this in my diet..and don't seem to be going crazy with it.

Also found some Atkins banana nut muffin mix, and have tried those as well. In the last month I have also enjoyed a couple of glasses of red and white wine.

I generally keep my carbs to under 30 and while my weight loss has slowed down, I am extremely happy with the variety I can now enjoy. I know I can always go back to induction foods and levels if I need to.

I would caution not moving to OWL until goal because the whole idea is to "test" all the food groups one at a time, one or two weeks at a time, to see how you react. You also need to add those additional five carbs in to see what your critical carb levels are for losing weight and maintaining your weight loss!

As for calorie levels....you don't necessarily have to count calories, but many people do. I know I should stick between 1200-1600 cals. I don't really count them, but monitor them on Fitday. I know when I eat out I do go over. I also look at the "reports" on fitday and can get weekly and monthly carb and calorie averages to check on how I"m doing!

Froufy

KarenW
10-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Angel Eyes - Thanks for that recipe!! I will be doing that this weekend too! :)

Jina - Have been on strict induction since August 4th! My doctor asked me to stay that way until we do blood work in December! In 10 weeks I have lost 19.5 pounds and am seeing great results. I am hoping that in January I can move on to OWL and to be down another 15-20 pounds by then.

I am having a great morning. Drank some coffee and DH took the kids to school and is going to the pumpkin patch with DD today!! I was going to go but it is pouring down rain and I dont want to get sick again!!!

So As soon as I get through my email.. I am off to clean house! :)

Talk to you all later!! :)

dinki
10-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Well I am trying those pork rinds too, as soon as I get some. I have been doing the same as you are staying under 20 carbs but eating food not just on induction. I have continued with slow weight loss. 4 pounds since starting th e Thanksgiving challange.

dinki

jane8760
10-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Where is everyone today? It is so quiet!

LindaBC
10-17-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm here but I dont have much to say. Same old, same old.

Froufy
10-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Okay...let's see now..what can I add?

Home now after FABULOUS dinner at Red Lobster (lobster and prime rib)...a bit high on the calories today, but not too bad. Carbs okay too!

Have a headache due to a sore nose...okay this is really weird, when I touch my nose, it hurts. Feels tender as if I hit it or someone bashed it....very strange. Asked dh if he possibly hit my nose while asleep last night, but I think that would have woken me up??? So what's up with the sore nose?

I of course keep touching it...which makes it hurt. Now have a throbbing pain, heading upward, and I kind of have a mild headache now.

Only "new" item is a new supplement I got today with Chromium polynicotinate in it...also has some ginseng and citrimax...any chance that a new supplement is causing nose tenderness?

I think I'll take some painkillers before bed!

Nitey nite!

Froufy

supersized
10-18-2003, 01:45 PM
Y'all are doing great. I can't wait to try the prok rind recipes. I try not to think about what I'm eating while I'm eating or I get a little sick. I found some salt and vinegar ones in Mississippi but can't find them back home in Virginia. Had I know that I would have bought as many as I could get my hands on.

I have to keep my calories down and my carbs well below 20 in order to see a loss. Most days I think my carbs are 10 or under. I have a very slow metabolism.

I've started drinking decaffeinated coffee with splenda and davinci syrup. I'm gonna try to cut back on the sweeteners to eventually get to black but it will take a little while. Last week I was adding ricotta cheese as a replacement for heavy cream...sounds gross but not bad as I was putting it in the blender. Anyway this week I'm down to just the sweeteners. I add ice to make it seem more like a treat.

Froufy
10-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Wow supersized...I don't know if I could do the coffee black thing! I did wean myself off of sugar/sweetener in coffee a few years ago (now I can't stand it sweet.....unless it's iced coffee). I do need my CREAM however, I don't think I could ever give it up.

I switch from half and half to table cream - while the heavier cream is a bit lower in carbs...it's WAY higher in calories, and sometimes when I see those numbers I get a bit freaked!

Also keep whipping cream around for the occasional treat, usually whip w/added sf vanilla syrup...and just found a place today that sells MANY flavors and brought home some sf raspberry and sf chocolate syrup to try out.

Froufy

KarenW
10-19-2003, 06:00 PM
HI Everyone!

Must be having a great Sunday! I am ! DH and DS are at a birthday party and DD is having a nap. I just got off the treadmill and wanted to check email before I started dinner!

TMO is weigh in and I am wondering how it will go. I have been good and stayed off the scale this week, but TOM pulled a fast one on me this month. I bled for 1 hour on the 11th and then nothing. THe Doctor told me not to worry about it for now, but I am feeling a bit out of sorts and slightly bloated. I am eating on track and have added another glass or 2 of water everyday this week just to see if it would help a bit. And it did.. but it still makes me wonder... sigh!

See ya all in the morning!

supersized
10-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Froufy, I got hooked on the creamer in my hot tea while living on the Canadian border. I've just now broken myself from that one. I'm not a coffee drinker by nature but Fullfig and her husband got me hooked on iced coffee this summer while I visited them. Of course my version isn't nearly as good. I'm hoping I can get down to the plain decaffeinated coffee before too long. I do like those sf syrups. I have the vanilla and hazelnut ones. That's all I can find so far. Does your store have a website that I could order from?

Froufy
10-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Well Sunday is almost over and I DREAD going to work tomorrow. My nose still hurts, but now I remember a few days ago, dd accidentally doing a turn and slightly catching me in the nose. At the time it didn't hurt that much, but I am paying for it now! Very tender...I assume if it was serious I would be in huge pain.

Brunch today at Denny's (scram slam) and dinner at home. Bad news is I discovered macadamia nuts.....finally found some, roasted, in a can at grocery store....very expensive too. Well dh and I "snacked" on a few.....okay...like half the can is gone! Will have to be careful with those!

Doing laundry and gearing up for work tomorrow.....my colleague/team mate is gone for the week, so I am it! He always says there is nothing going on at his end.....then while he's gone all **** breaks loose and I end up taking care of everything and getting major stress attacks. On Friday afternoon, we also met with our head guy and had a talk about our supervisor who we are having problems with.....and I know he will find out about the "chat"...I'm hoping he is not TOO angry and that I can look him in the face this week knowing that he had a talking to!

Supersized...as for the sf syrups...I'm pretty sure you have WAY more choices where you are than here in Canada. I am so lucky to have found any sf syrups....the brand name here is Torani, and it was pretty $$$ but not much choice so I coughed up the money.

I think Da Vinci has a website in the states, and many other lc online stores have sf syrups that they will ship to you (not many of them ship to Canada...and the exchange rate makes it prohibitive).

Going to fold laundry, surf and go to bed!

Nitey nite.

dinki
10-19-2003, 11:33 PM
I had a nice weekend, I went out of town, I cheated a little with a couple glasses of wine. Well back to being a good girl. I won't weigh in again until Thursday so maybe I can work it off.
The weather is like summer here with temperatures in the 80s. Probably better enjoy while it lasts.

Dinki

fullfig
10-20-2003, 05:59 AM
we don't get the davinci stuff in turkey either. we are highly restricted in what we have available. i'm gonna try to find site that will ship to an apo address, as many will not.