Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 05:24 PM   #1  

Default New Here with Diabetes

Hi! I am a type two diabetic on 500 mg of Avandamet 3 times a day. After reading all of the posts here, I decided to give the SB plan a try. I am currently seeing a nutritionist but she wanted me to do the Diabetics Diet using the food pyramid. I find this very difficult to follow and after being on it for two weeks, I have gained weight. The Nutritionist is against the low carb diets because she feels they are a temporary fix and not a lifestyle change. I do not agree with her on that. Anyway, against her advice I decided to buy the SB book today since it looks like it is a safe diet for diabetics.

Any other Diabetics on this plan and have you been able to control your blood sugar levels?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #2  

I'm not diabetic but I am Insulin Resistant and I feel 1000 times better on SB than the diabetic diet. It is only Low carb for the first 2 weeks and then it's the good carbs. I love it - it has changed my way of eating.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:18 AM   #3  

Angry

I'm Type 1 diabetic I started South beach a while back , haven't really lost weight but I don't take as many shots a big plus. I'm doing more of an atkins thing now, but I guess I'm doing a mixture of atkins beach sorta thing. It takes a little adjusting but it has done great things for my Blood sugars.I don't ave alot to lose so I'm focusing on the more important things right now health.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:09 PM   #4  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

I'm Type 2, diagnosed just last December. The ADA 1800 calorie diet was a pain in the bootie for me. After doing research, I decided to go Vegan.

That decision has helped me make some major changes in my life, all hopefully for the better.

~VOW
Old 11-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #5  

I am a type 2 take in about 1500 calories a day. I still need to lose 20 pounds. Have lost 20 already. The only caution for diabetics on protien diets is make sure your kidneys are in good working order. Yes you do have better numbers. But I also think we all need a meal plan we can be happy with. For me it isnot a meat based diet. I go more for exercise to control my numbers.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #6  
joe_anne2SUCCESS --{-@

S/C/G: 340/255.6/175

Height: 5'3"

Default Woo hoo!

I lost 3 lbs. since last week.

I think we lost our other post but thats ok cause I am still here, hope you all come back and post so we know how you are doing
Old 01-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #7  

hi joanne good job. i have not been here before. i had just joined and our site got wiped out. maybe some of them will come her. where are you crazypat ans lolalot? paperdoll.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #8  

Talking Diabetic woes

Since everything crashed I have been struggling with finding people...I re-registered...It wouldn't let me do CrazyPat..so I am now PStanley...
Paperdoll....and Tucsonchris...Where are you?????
Old 01-24-2004, 01:56 AM   #9  
California Girl

Default New Here, Too.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site. Converted from Hypoglycemic to Borderline DM over the past 6 months. I've been doing the Glucerna Shakes and their food plan and have lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks. I really like the plan. It's like taking everything those RD's say about the food pyramid and actually making it work. And the prepared meals take 30 minutes or less. I've tried the low carb plans and they actually make me feel worse with less energy.

It's nice to know there are other diabetics here for support. Good luck all.

Debra

215/206/150
Old 01-24-2004, 03:14 AM   #10  
ChewGirl

Hey There all,
I was diagnosed in 2003 with type 2 diabetes. I started the Atkins WOE the day after Thanksgiving. Just had my blood work done and my doc says that she will be taking me off my meds pretty soon. My tests all came back great. My blood sugar is stabilized and my cholesterol level has dropped to 166. This has been a really good thing for me. I also lost a total of 16 lbs. I just think of the weight loss as a perk. I read alot about low carb eating and decided that it is best to keep the carbs under control if you are diabetic. My doc says she feels that I am doing a great job with getting my health back in order. Too many years of treating myself to all I wanted has finally caught with me.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #11  

Angry

congratulations chew girl on losing but more on losing your meds. i hope to lose mine also. i am off 3 pills and only have one left am waiting to see what happens to my cholesterol when i have next dr. appointment.watching your carbs is definately good for diabetics. welcome kshergirl it does help to have someone to talk too. pstanely how are you doing. pat
Old 01-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #12  
ChewGirl

Thanks for the kind words paperdoll. I'm pretty new here too. I love this site. It has loads of information and a great support system. Good luck on the doctor visit. I was blown away with the results of mine. Keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #13  
gina2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jared
Hi! I am a type two diabetic on 500 mg of Avandamet 3 times a day. After reading all of the posts here, I decided to give the SB plan a try. I am currently seeing a nutritionist but she wanted me to do the Diabetics Diet using the food pyramid. I find this very difficult to follow and after being on it for two weeks, I have gained weight. The Nutritionist is against the low carb diets because she feels they are a temporary fix and not a lifestyle change. I do not agree with her on that. Anyway, against her advice I decided to buy the SB book today since it looks like it is a safe diet for diabetics.

Any other Diabetics on this plan and have you been able to control your blood sugar levels?

Thanks!
I have lowered my blood sugar by cutting down on "refined carbs". My Doctor said to switch to Sweet Potatoes, ect. and follow the carb exchanges for a 1200 cal diet. Im on 1800 since I am a large woman, but she said to just eat carbs for the 1200 exchange diet. The chapter that was most helpful to me was the one that explained the flour/wheat refining process, if it is very refined it raises your blood sugar faster than "whole" grains that take time to break down chemically. I have gone from having fasting blood sugars of 200-240 to 150-180. Im still working on finding a correct meal plan, however, that combines correct exchanges with the Sugar Busters concept. Hope that helps. :-)
Old 02-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #14  

Default Another diabetic here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jared

Thanks!
I've been fighting diabetes and weight for yrs. Started with gestational diabetes more than 26 yrs ago. Finally last summer, frustrated beyond belief and feeling horrible, I went off all meds(also HBP and HighChol)went on SB WOE and lost 30lbs and had great readings. Then all **** broke loose. I went to a new doc(a woman) and they started doing all kinds of test because I was anemic. New meds followed and found the 30lbs I lost last summer. Now I'm fighting everything again. Went back to my old doc and following SB again. But it does work. If you Just found out your diabetic, act NOW! Stay on the plan. Morning exercise lowers blood sugar and keeps your metab going all day. I should practice what I preach. Actually, I did last summer and it worked, which is why I'm back. The younger you are, the easier it is to make the changes and see results. I'm speaking from experience on that too as I had a much easier time 10 yrs ago in my 30's. Good health to you. If I can ever help, just post. DonnaD
Old 02-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #15  
T2 Diabetic since '99

Hello..I'm brand new here but the smile on my face just kept getting better and better as I got closer the end of this post/replys....

What I see here is an affirmation of my own experience. I see a common thread of "My blood sugars are lower - my lab tests are so good the doctor is talking about taking me off meds - i feel great.

There is a book that I automatically recommend to all diabetics I meet. It's "Dr. Bernstein's Dibetes Solution. It's pro low carb for control, works on the theory of small numbers and has changed my relationship with diabetes dramatically. For the first time in years I'm in control. Tight Control.

I invite you all to visit my control page at the bottom of this reply. It tells the story which is too long to start on here.

Dr. B's book can be viewed online at this link. http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml I'm not trying to sell anything here, just share my experience, strength and hope with this disease. If you never end up doing anything prescribed by this book it doesn't matter to me. We're all responisble for our own control. But I do hope you'll take a quick peek to see if you're interested.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to getting to know y'all better in the future.

Peace.....
Closed Thread