Weight Loss Support - Teachers struggling to lose weight #2

Summerlover
10-10-2003, 07:49 PM
We are a group of feisty teachers juggling our fabulous careers, families, personal lives, as we attempt to get healthy and take better care of ourselves. We are at different stages of weight loss. We are very supportive of each other. Join us!

Summer

Summerlover
10-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Well what do you know? I finally was allowed to begin a new thread. I have been trying since last night, and the website kept stopping me.

Last night I wrote so much to all of you and it got lost in cyberspace. I am so burned out from this crazy week, I can't even remember what I posted. Sorry ladies. I'm fried.:sp:

I would just like to say one thing. I LOVE TO TEACH...and I would just like one day of being left alone to do just that.

Instead, I have to be a social worker and deal with all of these children's problems. I get called out of the classroom for emergency meetings. I have to deal with DCF. I have to take phone calls from psychologists, doctors, and other assorted professionals who need something from me. I have to write letters to help grandmothers get custody of their abused grandchildren. I have to check for lice. I have to accept new students whenever the parent decides it is time for their child to start school, even if it is April. I have to kiss everyone's a_ _ so that I get to keep my job...not only does the principal evaluate me, the parents fill out a questionnaire 3 times a year. I have to check emergency forms before releasing a student to a family member just in case there is a restraining order against that person. I have to tell a father that he can't pick up his daughter. I have to smell alcohol on a mother's breath at 8:30 in the morning.

I didn't sign up for this.

I just want to teach...even if it is just for one day.

Summer

storylady
10-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Summer, sounds like you too are going through some rough times at work lately. I'm so sorry. At my school it's the front office people who have to screen people picking up kids. A couple of years ago I worked there on and off and it was a real eye opener. People would get so pissed at me for asking to see ID, making sure that a child could be released to them. They'd be so insulted, or act like it was a huge waste of their time. Trying to explain to them that it's to protect THEIR KID from being taken by someone who shouldn't have them most of the time fell on deaf ears. I hated it. I hated coming across those notes on the emergency cards "do not release to father" or whatever. I finally got to the point that I would go to the back and get someone else, the counselor, principal, somebody to back me up if I had to tell someone they could not take a kid. I think it's so wrong to place that much responsibility on the classroom teachers. You shouldn't have to do all that. But I believe the same is true of you and Robyn, despite the frustrations of all the other crap they throw at you, you must be awesome teachers and your students are lucky to have you.

I'm glad to say that DS is better, not well yet by any means, but better. I was getting seriously worried for awhile there. The cough just lingers on and on, and nothing so far seems to touch it. The fever comes and goes, which the doc says is okay, as long as it's goes and doesn't stay. He was one sick guy for a day or two there. I've been washing my hands with a nearly obsessive regularity lately! At school I wash them at least 10 times a day, and use antibacterial hand sanitzer in between. After handling books from those little ones I feel all germy and eewwww!

My team at school decided to do a cookie swap for Christmas so I'm looking for a low cal, point friendly cookie recipe to take. I know I won't get any in return, but I can control what I contribute. I try to browse the net and look at recipes but man it makes me HUNGRY to read them! :o I have the same problem with cookbooks, can't peruse them either, even if I just ate. Pathetic isn't i? I've been really battling the hunger again the past couple of days. Trying to see if it's true physical hunger or mental, it's physical almost all the time. And that's what it feels like: I'M HUNGRY ALL THE TIME! I went way over my points yesterday, but I exercised extra to help out. Anyhow, I need to figure this out. I don't want to undo what I've managed to accomplish so far.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful, restful weekend.
Sunny skies here and mild, lovely. Wishing you all the same,
story

Summerlover
10-11-2003, 09:48 AM
I don't have too much time right now, just popping in to make sure you guys found the new thread.

Cookies are tough since the main ingredient is butter. But, what about brownies? Can you swap those? If so, try "No Pudge Brownies." They are delicious and low fat.

I'm gonna try to garden today since it isn't raining like it was supposed to. I have a bunch of perennials to plant.

Have a great day all. I will talk to you all later.

Summer

HatterasMermaid
10-12-2003, 03:20 AM
Heyyyy! Just flying in...it is 2 a.m. and I've JUST finished printing my homework....and had to check in! I'll be back tomorrow...BUT, what about the FlyLady CoolWhip cookies? It is a simple recipie and I think they are not horrible for the waistline.....I'll try to find the recipie...TOMORROW...for now I'm off to bed! :)

((hugs)) to all!
Robyn

HatterasMermaid
10-12-2003, 03:31 AM
http://www.flylady.net/pages/TableOfContents.asp

I tried to find the recipie...but I'm too tired to look...it will be on the recipie pages on the link I posted above....

NOW, after looking on those pages, I'm starving! I'm going to bed instead! :)

Summerlover
10-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Robyn, 2 AM?! Good Lord Louise!!! Well, you've got me beat. I thought I stayed up late finishing school work, but I never came close to that hour! :yawn: You've got to tell me what "flylady" is. I have heard some buzz about it, but nothing substantial...just curious.

I am deeply into the Dr. Phil book. It went from light reading with a few tests to take (easily doable sitting in a waiting room or before I fell asleep) to deeeeeeeeeep thinking and pondering. It will now require my full attention. I am willing to give it since everything up to this point has been extremely helpful. It is as if this book was written about me personally. I couldn't do it during the school week. I will try to carve out some time to myself late this afternoon. I need to lock the bedroom door, put on my spa relaxation tape, and really get inside my head. I HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO. I wish I could go away for a week or two alone in a controlled environment to do this. Being a busy working mother and wife doesn't allow me to have a quiet thought. But to really give this book the chance to help me, I need to do what he says. And that means really digging deeply. I've got so much to dig up that I already know about...just wait till I get to the stuff that I've been hiding in my subconscious.

Tomorrow, I have the day off. I plan to try Pilates for the first time. I bought the DVD's and have been waiting for some time when my husband isn't around to make fun of me to try it.

He has been a handful lately. He wants a perfect, thin wife. But, he won't stop buying candy, cheesecake brownies, etc... When I told him to stop buying it, his response was that I should be strong enough to resist eating them. (If that were the case, I wouldn't be 70 pounds overweight!!!)

I have such good intentions right now. I want to go to a spa and become anew. That isn't happening.

Summer

Summerlover
10-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Ladies, I have to tell you that I have made quite a breakthrough.

I made it through Key #2, Healing Feelings, in Dr. Phil's book. Let me tell you, this was quite a profound experience. I've been waiting for the chance to be alone to do this. It requires soul searching and dredging up some really painful stuff so that you can deal with it and purge it from your life.

I locked myself in my bedroom at 4:30 with instructions to my family that I was not to be disturbed. I played my spa relaxation tape. I lit a lavendar scented candle. I sprinkled lavendar oil on my pillow and my wrists. I turned on one low light. I got into bed and began to read. The time came to really confront some heavy emotional stuff...some of which came right to the surface...some of which required some work and was surprising. My mother was wrapped up in most of it. I don't have the time or the space here to tell you the gory details, lets just say that some things that I never realized were damaging to me came to the surface. My mother has been dead since 1986 so I can't confront her. Instead I wrote her a letter...a ten page letter. I just wrote in a stream of conscious way. I wept violently. Of course in the middle of this my DD and DH banged on the door so he could get something. I hid my face and waited for them to exit then went back to my hysterical writing and balling. At the end, I forgave her and I wrote that I deserve to be thin, beautiful, etc...

I feel so refreshed, exhausted, and really ready to move on to the next step whatever that is. I know that I have a lot more emotional work to do, but this was a great beginning.

I highly encourage you all to give this book a try. I swear to God this is not like anything else out there. I am halfway through the book, and we haven't even begun to talk about dieting yet. This is the miracle I've been waiting for. This will help me in my marriage, parenting, and probably every other area of my life. This is major life changing stuff.

Summer :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

storylady
10-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Happy Columbus Day Teachers! What with DS being sick last week, a 4 day weekend for us anyway, this makes day 6 of being off for me and mine. We are lazy and not ready to go back to the mines tomorrow! I got the kids up at regular schoolday time, of course DS is back to sleep already, it will be a battle to keep him up. Not sure if he's just sleepy from staying up last night or still fighting off the sickness. He still has a nasty sounding cough, worse in the evenings. Sounds like he's gonna hack up a lung sometimes. But the fever has stayed away for 3 days now, none since Friday, that's good news.

Summer, so glad you are finding help in the Dr Phil book. It's so hard to look inside yourself and see the hurt you've buried away for so long. On another thread about food addiction I wrote about how my father was alcoholic and how all of my brothers and sisters all ended up with varying addictions. Some of us are dealing with them, I feel like I'm winning, for now. Others of us are deeply enmeshed in whatever we are using to deal with life, be it work, food, drugs. Unlike some of my siblings I made peace with my father before he died. I forgave him for alot of what he put us/me through, and the rest, well what I could not forgive, I try not to dwell on. My husband helped me to realize that staying angry about things over and done decades ago will only hurt me, keep me angry, keep me punishing myself with food, therefore, keep me fat. When I regained weight this last time around, in the past year, it was job stress that I let overwhelm me. Now I'm struggling to overcome that, because as we all know, if you teach, you are stressed! Over the summer I asked myself just how badly do I want this job? Bad enough to say 'screw it' to my fitness goals and stay fat this time, and for good? Or was I willing to give it up and take care of myself if that's what I had to do to get my weight and health back to where I know I want and need to be? The answer was no job is worth doing this to myself. No amount of stress is worth sacrificing my sense of self worth or my health and therefore my family. So far so good, I'm dealing with it and losing weight. If there ever comes a time when I have to choose the job or staying OP for life and taking care of me, I'll walk away from the job, as much as it means to me. Philosophically, I was looking for a job when I found this one, I'll just go back to looking again!

Robyn thanks for the link to FlyLady. Such a cute site. I didn't find the recipe yet but I didn't take alot of time to browse it. I'll do that today. I'd never heard of her before. Most of my computer time is spent here or on other boards lurking and reading up on others WW success. I tried to play solitaire online the other day but my DS was having computer withdrawal so I had to let her have it. Even with 2 computers in the house we still fight over them!

I hope everyone else is off today, and if not off, taking it as easy as possible.
story

Summerlover
10-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Just a quick check-in. I am so proud of myself. I not only began my day with exercise, I woke up 30 minutes earlier than usual. Believe me, I stayed in bed and thought about going back to sleep and blowing off exercise for just one more day. But I didn't. I got up and started Pilates this morning. It is okay. The thing I like most about the DVD is that the instructor shows modifications for every exercise...which is good, because I couldn't do any of the exercises as is. Between my bad back, knees, and neck, without modifications, I would have to give up on Pilates altogether.

I was pretty much on program. I am in the middle of Dr. Phil's book. I'm hoping that once I complete it, I will be ready to be on program most of the time. I think it will work. I feel better about losing weight than I ever have. The changes I am already going through is amazing.

Take care all!

Summer

Summerlover
10-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Hello all! What a hectic day today was. I just came here to vent a bit.

Right now, in my Dr. Phil book, I am working on healing feelings. I am dealing with crap from my past that has left painful emotional scars...which led to negative self-talk.

Today, I was made to feel crummy by my supervisor. I recently got my pre-K nationally accredited. It was a lot of hard work, and was a big deal, because I am only the 2nd teacher in my district to make this happen. The reason I'm feeling hurt is that my supervisor never congratulated me. I received congratulatory emails, cards, and phone calls from all over the place, and nothing from her. Then today, when we had our pre-K meeting, I thought she would finally say something. She said nothing during the meeting. Then after the meeting, she asked me how I felt about becoming accredited. I told her that I was thrilled and didn't expect to get it. She told me that she didn't think I would get it either. Maybe I shouldn't have verbalized any negativity about my ability, but I don't think it was very nice for to agree that she didn't think I would be able to do it. That really hurt me, and it added another negative thing to the pile of negative thoughts that I am trying to purge myself of!:( Why couldn't she just say, "I knew you could do it," or "Congratulations." But to verbalize that she didn't have confidence in my abilities makes me feel so awful...especially when I achieved something so difficult with little help from her. F_ _ K her!:mad: Sorry, I just wish this woman would believe in me. Haven't I done enough to prove that I am a good teacher? I guess I need to stop trying to please others and just do what I know is my best.

I meant to get up early to exercise this morning just like yesterday, but I couldn't do it. My body was exhausted this morning. Maybe I will be able to do it tomorrow.

Have a good week everyone!

Summer

storylady
10-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Summer, don't let her rain on your parade! You know what you accomplished and how hard you worked, screw her. Heck, she's probably jealous of you! Feel sorry for her, but don't waste such a strong emotion as anger, and don't let her attitude take away from your pride in yourself.

Back at school and running myself to death! Feels like I've been gone a month! I had 33 e-mails this morning to weed through and 7 phone messages. Geez. No time for lunch today but I didn't really get hungry until I picked up my kids at 4. Ran some errands and ate at the mall, tried to be good, but man it's hard when you're HUNGRY! And what is it about having skipped lunch that makes me feel entitled to 'treat' myself to something I know I shouldn't have?

DS is finally better, DH is trying to get sick now. Figures. I've been having strange, scary dreams lately. Don't know why.

I need to stop and figure my mall points, update my journal and see what I did today. Happy almost-Thursday!
story

Summerlover
10-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Story, thanks so much for the support. I am such a people pleaser, and when someone doesn't think I'm just wonderful, it really hurts. When someone as important as this woman is (she is the superintendent's right hand) I become obsessed with getting their approval. I know that you are absolutely right, and I should just focus on what I did achieve and be proud of it instead of worrying about being validated by her. This goes back to my childhood when my mother only approved of straight A's and B's weren't good enough. I think I got a C once, and it was a devastating experience. If I wasn't perfect in my mother's eyes, she would withdraw her love. I was never spanked as a kid, but feeling like I was no longer loved by the most important person in my world was horrible. So, now, I strive to be the best and I just thrive on those "pats on the back." I don't get them in my marriage. I do get them at school, except for this woman. Okay, enough rambling on and on and on.....sorry about that!

Dr. Phil has me analyzing all of my emotions these days, so I am quite long-winded!

I was on program until dinner...4 slices of pizza! But, it was good!

Thanks again Story.

Hi Robyn & 3mom!

Summer ALMOST TGIF!!!!!!!!

HatterasMermaid
10-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Hey ya'll! Another quick check in for me! I've not had time to read what you guys are up to or how you're doing! Hope all is well with everyone! What a week this has been for me! I will spare you the usual RobynRanting! Sooooo MUCH stuff....from all directions! However....I will survive...AND I'm doing great being OP! Still can't seem to find time to exercise.........arghhh!

Will try to check in tomorrow .......Hope every one is well and having a great week!

(((hugs)))
Robyn

Summerlover
10-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Something just occurred to me. Most jobs are finished when people leave their workplace. But teachers' work is never done. And, if you have a family, there is very little time to do anything for yourself. No wonder we can't find time to exercise. There are meetings, lesson plans to write, lessons to prepare for, papers to grade...the list goes on and on. Children's needs are endless, and you never know what is gonna hit the fan when you arrive home from school. I even thought I could exercise before school just by waking up 30 minutes earlier. I did it once on Tuesday morning. I had to stay late to do the after school program, helped my DD with homework, made dinner, and did some school work. I was sooooo exhausted. The next morning, there was no way I was gonna get up early to exercise. My body was so worn out from the day before. And with a few meetings thrown in, the rest of my week went the same way. I just wanted to stay in bed and crash. I have such good intentions, but my life is so freakin' hectic, I just do what I absolutely have to. What really worries me is that I will be starting my Masters degree in January. How the h_ll am I gonna do it?!

My ideal week would include 2 trips to the gym, walks to and from my DD's school on the 2 days I pick her up, and Pilates every morning before school. So far all I've managed to do is one morning of learning Pilates.

If anyone has any advice, I am open to it.

I was partially on program today. Right now, all I want is chocolate, and lots of it!

Summer

calnative
10-18-2003, 12:31 AM
I just found this site. I was especially interested to find this one with other teachers. I teach 7th grade Language Arts and I am the grade level literacy coach so I also teach the teachers. I am very familiar with the problem of trying to be a mom, teacher, counselor, psychologist, wife, etc at home and at school. I feel so exhausted every day that I feel even worse about myself when I'm unable to exercise or to take a short walk. I hope to find a lot of support here.

storylady
10-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi everyone, welcome Calnative!:wave: I happen to have a 7th grader myself so I don't envy you the job you have! He's an old man in little body, quirky and sweet but an outsider at school, at least that's what he says. And if doesn't bother him, why do I let it bother me?

We can all relate to feeling bad about ourselves when we aren't able to do it all and do it perfectly. Exhaustion seems to be the issue of the day. There is just too much to do and not enough hours to get it all done. Exercise has not been my problem lately, I get up at 5 or so and ride my exercise bike and ride again after school. I only ride 20 minutes at a time but I figure it's better than nothing. If I'm feeling really energetic I'll get on for an extra ride and make it a full hour for the day, but that's rare! Lately I haven't been making the best choices when I'm tired, or let myself talk myself into having "just one" that turns into "just the whole thing"! I've had 3 bad food days this week and I feel bad this morning as a result, sluggish and bloated. And I know it's from what I ate, poor choices and poor planning. I have to get my head out of my rear end and get back on program before I undo all the hard work I've done.

Everyone at my school seems stressed. We are heading into the months when it seems every committee meets at least once a week after school. There are carnivals, programs, parent meetings, you name it. The days seem so long and the time away so short. It's like from now until Christmas it's a hectic push to get through. And then the weather changes, a bonus, to wet and cold so no recess and the kids are kept indoors watching too many videos and their behavior becomes another issue. I dread it. At least this year I know what to expect. Last year I didn't and ate my way through it, thus the 30 extra pounds! I'm trying to plan some make and freeze meals and some crockpot meals I can put together for those long days.

I hope everyone is having a great restful weekend.
story

Summerlover
10-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Calnative, WELCOME!!! I promise you will get support here. We are a very helpful group of people.

Story, you are my hero!!! :cp: :strong: WOW!!! Waking up at 5am, getting out of bed, and exercising...I am sooooo impressed. I complain about getting up at 6am to exercise. I guess I need to shut up! :sssh:

I have to teach Sunday School in the morning. I had to rewrite the lesson plans because the ones that we get are awful. I would just like to know who these publishers get to write the plans. Luckily, I only teach two Sundays a month. Last year I directed the Cherub Choir, but my DD begged me to teach her Sunday School class. So, I will be doing my duty tomorrow.

My family has a bad habit of eating in front of tv a lot...most of the time. Dr. Phil says that is really bad because you don't pay attention to what you are eating...blah blah blah. I know he is right. I'm just so friggin tired at the end of the day, I want to eat and be mesmerized by the tv. I know that is REALLY BAD especially for my child. Yes, I know better. Am I lazy? Yup! So, one of my assignments for this weekend is to clear off the dining room table (that is where my DD does her homework) and set it for dinner. From now on, we will be eating our meals there. My household will probably revolt, but it is for the best.

Robyn, how's it hangin' girl?

3mom, yoo hoo! Miss ya!

Summer

calnative
10-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Thank you for your welcomes. I have not said, yet, what I am aiming for. I currently weigh 292. I have had all the checkups and everything is normal; except the weight. I did find out however that my lean weight (I was tested twice) is 175. My doctor said I can weigh as much as 220 and be within my ideal weight. That really felt good to hear. Instead of using the old height and weight charts that say I should weigh 140 for my height (and I'd have to lose 150 to reach it :( I have a goal of that 220 and I only need to lose 72 to reach it. That sounds so much more achievable. Of course after I reach 220, I will work to get under 200. My doctor said my ideal weight should be about 195. Those height and weight charts can really drag you down. I do remember being 200 and I wore a size 16. I look forward to it again. Sorry this is so long, but I actually feel relieved to know that I don't have so much to lose.
Thank you for being here, it means a lot to me.

storylady
10-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Calnative, long post? Where? Did I miss it?! ;) If you go back and read some of ours you'll see we sometimes post a novel!

So glad to hear your dr worked with you to set a realistic goal, one that's not so overwhelming. Taking it in small chunks helps so much. WW has us lose 10%, then go on in increments like that, personal goals of percents or pounds. Reaching those mini goals really keeps me focused. Best of luck on your journey. Did the dr give you a meal plan to work from as well?

I'm confused. A little over a week ago I got on the scale and it read 150. Terrific, I was so pumped! Two days later (don't ask me why I even got on again, it's stupid I know) I weighed and was back at 153. Hmm. Today, back at 150. I haven't eaten anything really salty that should have cause that much water retention so I don't know what's what. I guess I'll just take today's weigh in and stay OFF the scale for a whole week:o and go from there!

Summer, getting up at 5 is no big deal for me. For years I worked in a bakery and as you know those bakers and donut makers get an early start. I often had to be at work at 5. Sleeping in until 5 seems like a treat sometimes, especially lately when I've been waking up at 3 or 4 and can't get back to sleep. By the time 5 o'clock rolls around I'm ready to get up! You have to do what works for you. If the exhaustion is too great, then you haven't really benefited from the activity. Give yourself a break, you'll work out a way to get in some activity that doesn't drain all your energy. Have you ever used an exercise ball? Some ladies in my WW class use them and man they lose inches off their waistlines quick! And they say they only use them for about 10 minutes a day, rolling on the floor. It's more stretches than aerobic but they look and feel great.

Well I'm off to take DH to breakfast. I'm getting little tired of Denny's but at least I know how to count the points!
Happy Sunday teachers,
story

Summerlover
10-19-2003, 03:10 PM
What a novel idea, an exercise ball. I must admit that I never even considered it. I've seen them used for rehab, but I never thought of using it for me. That is definitely worth considering. Thanks! Tomorrow morning, I'm gonna try to get up at 6 am again. Being Monday morning, I can't complain about not being rested. So, we will see what happens.

Calnative, I remember being 190 and looking pretty darn good. My goal is between 160-175. I would be thrilled just to break 200 right now. For me, this is entirely psychological, and Dr. Phil's book is helping me tremendously. I'm only halfway through it, and I haven't made any progress yet. I'm essentially taking baby steps myself, making sure that I absorb and get everything I can from every chapter. I really want to do this this time, and I know that it isn't a matter of finding the "right" diet. Weight watchers is a fabulous diet, but you have to follow it for it to work. I won't be following any diets until I deal with all of my emotional baggage.

I am happy to say that I actually enjoyed teaching Sunday School today. My class of 18 kindergartners and first graders was darling. They behaved so well and were really smart. I'm used to having to deal with serious behavior problems, so this was a picnic! The lady who heads up the Sunday School program was concerned about me having 18 with only one volunteer. I told her I was used to having 25 without any help, so 18 was no big deal. The volunteer ended up having very little to do needless to say. After today, I won't dread it so much.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

Summer

Summerlover
10-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Hello all! I am happy to say that I did indeed wake up at 6am to exercise. I did Pilates again. I am still learning so I don't know how effective it was. At least I am beginning to walk on the right path. We ate dinner at the dinner table tonite. That was another positive step for me. I have vowed not to eat in front of the t.v.

I am really exhausted because I worked late doing the after school program.

Tomorrow I will be attending a meeting about promoting universal pre-k. The mayor and superintendent will be there. It goes from 415-745pm. I doubt that I will have a chance to post here tomorrow, but at least you will know why I'm not around.

Have a great week everyone!

Summer

Summerlover
10-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm so tired but so wound up from my meeting which ended at 8pm. I haven't been able to relax in front of tv because my DH is watching the world series. I just want to watch something that will make me laugh and forget about my day before I hit the hay. So, while I wait for my DH to go to bed, I'm hanging out here.

I met the mayor tonite. There were all sorts of bigwigs at this meeting. I'm just glad it is over, and I made it home okay.

I have some good and surprising news. I lost 3 pounds! Only, I haven't really been following any diet. I have just been following the suggestions as outlined in Dr. Phil's book. I have not denied myself anything I wanted to eat. I haven't binged or anything which I think of as being somewhat on program. Yet, I haven't been counting points or calories or anything. I figured I would get really serious when I finished his book. Well, here I am, halfway through it, and without dieting and just barely exercising, have lost 3 pounds in like a week! :D How cool is that?! I'm telling you ladies, you've really got to give this book a try.

Happy Hump Day tomorrow!

Summer

calnative
10-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Hello again,
I have been so busy getting back to school. We just finished a 3 week break and I am exhausted. Got the kids back today and they are already trying to see what they can get away with :dizzy: I do work with some really great teachers. We are a 4 person team (I'm the only female :p ) They are great to me.
I do love my students, even though they really try me at times.
I also love being back in class. I find that the busier I am the less likely I am to wallow in self pity and eat things I should no be eating.
Has anyone read the book "Sugar Busters"? My doctor suggested I read it. The only thing he has told me that I really need to do is to get out and walk. Yeah right!!!!!!! I live in Phoenix where it is still over 102 degrees outside :cool:
I do love to walk, though. The first time I went to Italy I was there for 3 months and I walked everywhere. I changed nothing else that I normally do and I lost 17 pounds. I told my sister that I really like going to Europe because I lose weight everytime. Maybe it's the food, I don't know. I really want to lose before I fly anywhere again. Last March when we went to Italy, I had to have a seatbelt extension on the flight from NY to Venice. I really felt humiliated. :( The flight attendant was so sweet though. When I asked for it, she was very discreet when she brought it to me. It still hurts to think about it though. :stress:
We're supposed to go back to Italy and France in June, 2004 and I really want to lose the weight and I feel this support site will help keep me on track.
Take care. I have to finish my lesson plans. We have district airheads (I mean people) :o coming to our school this week.

storylady
10-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Summer, congrats on the 3 lbs! :bravo: I'm so proud of you, happy for you, excited for you!! Don't you hate those meetings with all the district big-wigs and local big shots? I do. I end up feeling hypocritical about things because I don't tell them how I really feel about stuff, I just smile and nod and keep on like everyone else.

calnative, I know what you mean about the heat, it's back up to the 90's here today. And this weekend another cool front so by Monday the allergies will be in force and the school will sound like a tb ward in a hospital. I really don't like fall. I have to struggle not to get depressed every year. The shorter days, trees dropping leaves and looking skeletal (we don't even have pretty colored leaves here), getting cold (anything below 70 is cold to us!). Maybe it comes from growing up poor and cold, and equating cold with being poor and hungry. Anyhow, I digress. Sugar Busters, my doctor recommended it too. He's pretty fanatical about sugar and it's effectss. He regards it almost as a poison. Realistically I know I just could not live on a strict diet that severely limited sugar and sweets. Deprivation and binge, that would be me.

I hope everyone else is doing okay. Can't believe tomorrow is only Thursday, and my hardest day of the week. I think I'll go ride my bide and try not to think about it, it'll come soon enough!
storylady

Summerlover
10-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Cal, "district airheads," :lol: I love it!!! I'm stealing that comment!!! It is perfect because there they are in their "ivory towers" so very intellectual, and so very out of touch with reality...district airheads is outstanding!!! How do you like being on your schedule? I would die if I didn't have the summer off. Then again, in AZ, I guess the summers are pretty HOT :flame: ! My sister-in-law lives in Phoenix, and always visits us in CT in the summer to get a break from the severe heat. As far as Europe goes, it is the healthiest lifestyle on earth. We went to Sweden nine years ago, and everyone was gorgeous, vibrant, and oozed excellent health. The food is soooo much healthier, and these people are soooo active. It took a while to adjust to the food, but once I did, I also noticed a change in my body. We wanted soooo badly to move there (my father's family is from Malmo, Sweden) and start a new life. It is funny though, on our way home, we stopped in London for a few days, and after fish & chips and all the clotted cream, the good that was done in Sweden was undone by 3 days in London!

Story, I'm sorry your fall isn't beautiful. Where I am is magnificent to look at, but I get depressed because summer is over and the very looooong winter is on its way. Last winter we got totally dumped on with lots and lots and lots of snow and ice. The ice is the bad part. It is so dangerous. Our winters last till the end of April...we've had many cold and/or snowy Easters.

Well ladies, I'm sick for the 3rd time this school year! I have a terrible cold and the beginnings of bronchitis. I saw the dr. and got all of my prescriptions. The worst part is that it affects my asthma. I have to use my inhaler around the clock every 4-6 hours. It is so scary when you have trouble breathing. Two nights ago, I woke up gasping for air. I almost sh_t a brick. Now I have to keep my inhaler next t

Summerlover
10-23-2003, 12:52 PM
I guess my "novel" ran a little long!

Robyn, I miss your entertaining ranting and raving!

Take care my friends!

Summer

Summerlover
10-24-2003, 06:07 PM
I guess this is a hectic week for all. I miss you ladies!

I returned to work today even though I am still really sick. You can't take a Friday as a sick day or they assume you are taking a long weekend at a bed & breakfast. Nevermind that you are miserable. The city I work for assumes the worst about its employees. Yesterday, I made sure that I got a doctor's note.

I am so glad that it is Friday...TGIF!!! I have so much to do, but I will make it a point to get plenty of rest so that I get better instead of worse. I have to buy my DD's Christmas dress because she will be getting her photo done soon. And, we should really visit a pumpkin farm and get apple cider etc...

Next week is insane. We have a field trip to a pumpkin farm with the after school program. The next night we are having a literacy night which we are all STRONGLY encouraged to attend. I have to go to the YMCA to pay for my daughter's birthday party. I have a manicure appointment on Thursday. And, of course, Halloween on Friday...a loooong day of parties at school an

Summerlover
10-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Why doesn't my entire post get posted?! :mad:

I don't remember what I wrote.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Summer

storylady
10-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Happy Friday all. I thought today would never end. Today was our PTA fall carnival after school and I worked the entire time. The kids had a wonderful time and they made lots of money so I guess it was worth it. My feet are killing me and my throat hurts from yelling so much (I was outside at a moon bounce thing) but aside from that I guess I'm okay. We also had food in the lounge today, I did okay except for the cookies. Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Came home and DH wanted to go out to eat. He'd been home a few hours and was rested, ready to go. Sorry, but I just spent the last 10 on my feet and am tired also, outside in the middle of what became mosquito central, I'm all bitten up all over my arms and face. So, no thanks. He's not too happy with me right now but oh well again! DS stayed and worked the whole time too, bless her. She was really good with the little ones and she's not at all used to being around them. I owe her big. She and DH got into a fuss when we got home over the dogs having no water and she got her feelings hurt. She cried, he got mad, I had to play peacemaker and just felt like telling every body to shut the he** up!

Summer, next week will feel like a breeze for us after this week! Early release 3 days, so afternoons free. And if we work late one night we can leave at 1 on Friday--yippee!! I got all my lesson plans prepared through November, thank goodness for the holidays, it makes preparation a no-brainer, and at the best possible time 'cause my brain is fried. Speaking of fried, I think I'll go scroung up something to eat. The rest of the family is having pizza, not me.
happy weekend everyone,
story

calnative
10-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Hello everyone,
I don't have much to report in the way of weight loss because right now I'm still trying to get into the swing of things after having a 3 week break. I really like the schedule we're on: 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off (fall), 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off (winter), 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off (spring), 9 weeks on, 6 weeks off (summer). Next year I hope to work in the same district where my daughter goes to school so we can have the same days off.
My students are doing much better with their behavior. I teach middle school in an inner-city school. It's a challenge, but I really love those kids :D
It's finally cool enough to do some things outside. My neighbor and I are starting to walk together. She wants to lose weight also, though she doesn't have a far to go as I do. It will be nice to be able to leave the kiddies with the hubbies and have some girl time :) I told my sister about this sight, she's a hs teacher.
Hope everyone is ok.

Enjoy the weekend.

Summerlover
10-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Not much to report. I'm still sick...the cough is getting worse. Why that stupid doctor didn't prescribe antibiotics is beyond me. Aren't they supposed to when you are coughing up yellow goop? (Sorry to be so gross!) I know that in the next day or two I will be dragging myself back in to get antibiotics.

I'm so excited for daylight savings time! We get an extra hour of sleep tonite! I've been having a heck of a time trying to sleep. :tired: My husband was ready to kick me out of the bedroom around 3am with all of the hacking, and then I had to use my inhaler and take more cough medicine. It is hard to be quiet when you are choking to death and you can't see what you are doing. I may end up sleeping in the play room tonite if I create another "disturbance!" Never mind that he snores and then always makes noise between 5am and 630am on a daily basis while the rest of the family is trying to sleep.

I will check in as much as I can this week, but since it will be VERY BUSY, I may not be around as much as usual.

Cal, your schedule sounds really great. Our summer is only 2 weeks longer, and with all of the snow days we got last year, we only had you beat by 1 week. 3 weeks off at a time sounds so heavenly. It must be hard to get back in the swing of things though.

Story, I'm so impressed how far ahead you are with lesson plans. I still have to do this week's. If I am a week ahead, I feel wonderful! I can't imagine being months ahead...WOW!

Yoo hoo, Robyn!!!!!!! :wave:

Summer

calnative
10-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Hello everyone,

Since I've posted a few times here, I thought it about time to tell a little about myself. I live in the middle of the desert (and whine about the lack of rainfall and the abundance of dust :cry: )
I teach 7th grade Language Arts at an inner city school :eek: Tough kids at times, but I do enjoy it. We just bought a house this year :D and loving it. I was soooo tired of apartment living. I wanted to have a house when my daughter started school and we made it. We moved into the house in June just 2 days before school was out. Good timing or what? My hubbie did all the moving with friends (I couldn't help because I had to work; oh darn ;) ) My daughter, Ashley, started kindergarten this year. I can't believe my baby is in school already. :cry:
I started teaching as a substitute 9 years ago and have been a certified teacher for almost 4 years now. I just completed my master's degree last summer :cb: My hubbie had the nerve to ask me (on the day I finished my last project) if I was going to start a PhD program; I could've hit him :stars: However, the option is still there, but not until my daughter is older.
We travel a lot: to Europe mostly and we've done some road trips around the US. We also lived in South Korea for awhile. We're thinking about doing a road trip through New England next summer if we don't go to Italy again. My hubbie is from near Venice and we go there frequently, about once every 2 years. Ashley is 6 and she's been to Italy 4 times already. I love it there.
I lost my mother last year to leukemia. I still feel so lost :cry: I miss her more than I ever thought possible.
I have been on the weight roller coaster for my entire life. I am so glad I found this site so I can get support and have someone to talk to who understands. I come from a family of 6 and we all have the weight issue. Some more than others :)
Gotta get ready for church. I'll check back later.

Hope everyone has a nice restful Sunday.

Calnative

Summerlover
10-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Cal, you and I have some things in common. I also have a kindergartner who will turn 6 on 11/11. I also lost my mother to cancer, but it was back in 1986. It was horrifically painful. I still have moments of difficulty, but I healed tremendously when my daughter was born. I have yet to begin my masters though. Money and time hold me back. I wanted to begin this spring, but I would have to pay for it with my credit card, and my debt is just too high to do that right now. Now I am shooting for fall. I live in New England, so I could probably suggest some great places to visit if you come East. Our annual summer vacation is to Cape Cod. We used to go to North Truro, but found that Dennisport is more family friendly. The Cape is my slice of heaven, and we plan on retiring there. If you do come East, let me know so that I can provide more suggestions.

This morning I went back to the doctor since I am now coughing up green stuff! :p YUCK!!! Yes, I am rather graphic, sorry! Finally I am on antibiotics. I could have been well by now if the doctor had prescribed them on Thursday, but she is one of those paranoid about prescribing antibiotics. Now I feel like I'm on the verge of pneumonia. I haven't been able to sleep. I have a fever. My chest is killing me, and I constantly rely on my inhaler. Thanks a lot doc!

I have some amazing news. I lost another 2 pounds. I not only have not been dieting, I have been eating comfort foods because I've been sick. What has changed has been behavioral changes that Dr. Phil outlines in his book. I'm telling you ladies...you must check this book out. I have never lost weight almost effortlessly. At this rate, I might actually look pretty good by Christmas without feeling deprived.

Well, I finished this week's lesson plans. I should do next weeks, but I haven't spent any quality time with my DD today. So, I will put it off for another evening.

Have a great week!

Summer

storylady
10-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Hi everyone. I tried to post the last couple of days but for some reason I couldn't get anything to go through. Maybe this will work. Summer, I hope you start to feel better soon. I hate having that cough that makes you have to try to sleep sitting up because the minute you lie down you feel like you're choking. So many of our kids and teachers have been sick already. I wash my hands like a fanatic lately, 10 times a day and use antibacterial stuff in between. If I catch the kids with fingers in their mouths or noses I squirt thier hands before they can touch the books. I wipe off my desk and computer mouse with clorox wipes every afternoon. I'm not taking any chances!

This little 'cold front' ( it got down to 48 last night) felt like an arctic blast, especially at 4 this morning when the power went off and we were left in the cold and dark. I stayed up so the family could sleep, man was that a long lonely 2 hours! Came home made chili and a loaf of pumpkin bread, the house smells spicey and homey, like a warm winter day. Now I'm ready for summer again! One little taste of cold weather is enough to suit me!!

I hope everyone else is on the mend and doing good. Happy humpday everyone,
story

HatterasMermaid
10-28-2003, 08:21 PM
:flow1:Hey ya'll!!!! :flow1:

Boy have I been out of the loop! Missed "talking" with you guys! :sorry:

If it isn't one thing then it is another.....My crazy schedule sure didn't have time for me to be sick. BUT, of course, I spent the last week to 10 days with a horrid head cold...:headache:....nothing serious BUT you know how teaching is when you are TRYING to breathe! I blame the school..... of course! They have YET to turn on the heat (or the option to have heat!) The sweet Virginia weather is sooooooo strange!

...Today I taught all day in my leather jacket! Some of my friends thought I was just trying to appear cool....Some others know that THAT is the jacket that I used as my "fat barometer" and in March couldn't have zipped the puppy no matter how I "sucked it in" and now I can EASILY and with room to spare, so they thought I was just reminding myself of how far I've come...TRUTH be told...I was just trying to get warm. Never did! BUT I did look cool and stayed OP with ease! hehehehee...:encore:

So what have I missed? Everyone down to a size 4 in my absence? I am still fighting the fight...and trying to find time to get back to exercising.

Speaking of fights....we meet with the head of SpecEd and my son's IEP team on Thursday. We've asked for an Independent Assistive Tech. eval....WOW! Our note certainly got the attention I've been trying to get for 5 years! Sad, but finally true! AND, this time, I'm not backing down! Meet with me or NOT...but the bottom line is..... Have the assessment done...by someone outside the system, YOU pay the bill AND don't forget to abide by the recommendations! :rollpin:

Okey, enough from my mouth! I certainly hope all is well with everyone! I'll be back to read the latest! Tell me all about your successes!

(((hugs))):grouphug:

Robyn the :queen:

P.S. Welcome to the new middle school teacher, Cal! Middle School????? OMGOSHHHH! Go, Cal! Go, Cal! You are my hero!

HatterasMermaid
10-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Oh oh oh.....

DOOOO be careful what you wish for...cause I've returned...and just for your entertainment....my ranting and raving returned with me! heheheee....(that was in response to someone stating that they missed me! :) Thank you tho, for missing me! )

I've got soooo much to rant and rave about...and nearly forgot to post a very cool link.....

You MUST read JuJu's latest skinnydaily (www.skinnydaily.com). Read the one called "How I Got Fat"... I SWEARRRR this woman knows me! The REAL meeee....the one deep deep down inside that I don't let others see, hear, or even talk to! READ IT!

ALSO....who invented this day lights savings time thing? AND WHY do we have it again?? I'm having a hard time returning home in the PITCH black darkness....feeling like it is midnight.
Anyone else LOVING this change??

OOOH and....who was talking about an exercise ball?! Did you get one? Are you doing it? TELL ME ABOUT IT....I'm seriously thinking about one....but want to talk with someone who knows what the deal is with it!

OOOOOOOHhhh AND I bought...notice I didn't say READ or even CRACKED the binding on..... Dr Phil's book on diet AND the Jorge Cruise Book (8 minutes In the Morning for something about REAL bodies....read that as FAT chicks....) Now that I'm almost nearly breathing again without having a tissue constantly on my nose...I guess I'm gonna have to open them!

Ok...I think that is all.....Off to fight with the middle school aged child regarding his homework...WHAT FUN!

take care,
Robyn the :queen: of Owning but NOT reading Diet related books!

Summerlover
10-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Robyn, best of luck with your son! I'm so happy that you have them by the balls! You go girl! You know that it is the parents who have all of the power. I so missed your ranting and raving. It was fun to read your postings.

Dr. Phil, Woo Hoo!!!! I'm so glad you got his book. If you are anything like me, and I think you are, you will discover this book to be the miracle it is! I have lost 5 pounds without dieting. I made some lifestyle changes (not dieting or exercise yet) and those changes over the last two weeks has melted off the weight. I just read the chapter about food, and the exercise chapter is next. He doesn't even get into that stuff until the middle to end of the book. There is so much other stuff causing us to be overweight. First you deal with all of the more complicated stuff, then you get down to the simple part. Please check into the Dr. Phil book club when you get up to speed. It is a great thread...not as fabulous as ours of course, but I like it.

Either way, please let me know what you are thinking as you read the book. I would love to see the lightbulbs going off in your head!:idea:

Story, I like you am paranoid about germs. I wash my hands several times a day and use Purel in between. I spray Lysol, and make the kids wash their hands after blowing their noses. I don't know why I've gotten hit so hard this year, but I think having asthma makes me more prone to illness. :mad:

Hi Cal!

I have stuff to tell you guys, but I'm so darn tired, it will have to wait another day or two.

Take care my friends!

Summer

HatterasMermaid
10-29-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey~ Just checking in before I call it a night....

Summer, honey...... Parent's have all the power??? I wish! Maybe where you are THAT is the way it is....however where we are THAT is sooo far from the truth! :no:

I'm so fed up and sick of my kid getting the short end of school life I can't see straight. He has a dual exceptionality....gifted iq, short term processing deficit, and a physical birth defect. I'm sooooo sick of having to fight for EVERYthing CONSTANTLY ....all we want is a level playing field for him! What we get is the run around and meeting after meeting after meeting..... On Oct. 15th, I attended an IEP meeting that had NO meeting minutes kept, no signatures, no nothing..... totally illegal. The advocate drew their attention to the "no paperwork" issue before the meeting ended.... and now I've been called back to yet another meeting as they say we've never ever had an IEP meeting....

I'm done. I'm soooooooooo exhausted. BUT tomorrow is another fight! I'm laundering my best "Mother From ****" power outfit, I'll go back and fight some more! Maybe I need to eat more of Popeye's spinach....cause I sureeee don't feel powerful yet..... But tomorrow is another fight....and I'm officially requesting a $4,800 independent evaluation.
:strong:
um, Summer....thanks for listening! Tell me what else to do or say...and I'll try it! :)

take care...get some rest!
Robyn

HatterasMermaid
10-31-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey Ya'll!

TGIF! I could do withOUT the candy craziness....BUT...hey at least it is Friday!!! :)

I swear the ONLY thing worse than Halloween Madness is the Valentine's Day Madness! Hope the rest of you survived and are well on your way to enjoying a relaxing peaceful wonderful WEEKEND!!!!

(((hugs)))
Robyn

storylady
11-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone! I've been AWOL for awhile, no time, no access to the computer. I've had better weeks than this past one but at least it's behind me. DS and I had a nasty fight, of course in the car on the way to school which made me feel like dirt all day. Why do the most intense moments happen in my car? :?:

Friday was indeed Candy Day, oh man it was about the worst I've ever seen it at school. Over the summer the Texas Agricultural Department took over the school lunch division and put a bunch of new rules in place. One, in line with the "No child left behind" mantra forbids the sale or gift of almost all candy, the sole exception being chocolate, and carbonated drinks that contain less than 10% fruit juice. The good news is that got coke machines out of the buildings and teachers can't use candy as learning incentives as much as they used to. It looked on Friday as though parents were rebelling against it because they brought in so much candy (the contraband kind) for the classes--and Halloween is not a sanctioned 'party day'.

I agreed to be a room mom for one of our classes, we don't have enough parent volunteers to go around, we have to beg help for everything! I don't mind doing it, they'll have everything ready for me and it won't cost me anything. I feel like we are in the hardest stretch of the year, until the holidays. Then the period after the winter break until March will drag and seem to last forever. The only good thing about this time is that lesson plans are so easy. If there is a downside it's that there is too many things to choose from for a change.

On the weight front I'm still playing around with those 2 lbs. I get to 150, regain them, lose them, gain them. I'm puzzled. I looked over my journals last night to see if I can detect a pattern in my eating, no clue. I guess I'll just keep plugging along.
Summer, congrats on the 5 lbs. What lifestyle changes did you make that allowed such an effortless loss? I hope you are feeling better by now, the bronchitis around here is terrible, and the flu.
Robyn, I agree, when it comes to my kids and the school system I feel powerless. I thought that working in the same district might help, give me an inside track as the the workings of 504 mods and all that, but all it does it give them the idea that I don't have to come to meetings because they can keep me up to speed via e-mail, which doesn't happen, or phone which happens only when I'm in the middle of a class and can't think or plan what to say. I feel penalized by working in his district instead. They had his 504 meeting last year without me there, who in the heck signed my name on the paperwork? I still don't know!!

I hope you all have happy, restful Sundays. The weather here is lovely so I think I'll do some yard work today, lots of pine needles to rake up. Take care,
story

Summerlover
11-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Robyn, sorry for the late reply. I haven't been online since my last post. This week has been INSANE!!! I'm still in a partial sugar coma.

Anyway, if I were you, I would familiarize myself with the law. My sister has a special needs child, and she was a special ed teacher. She knew the law inside out upside down, and she made sure she got Susan everthing she had coming to her. In CT, parents get what they want. Parents in CT also do not hesitate to play hardball...getting a lawyer etc. Administrators are always trying to avoid lawsuits, so they give whatever the parent demands. If the district doesn't provide an appropriate program for a student, the district has to pay the tuition for a school which does provide a program. It is the law. I believe it is a federal law (94-142?) I'm not positive of the number, but I know it is a legitimate law. It is the teachers who have no power at all. We are the pee-ons.

Best of luck, and FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!!:yes:

Story, thanks for the congrats! Before Halloween, I had lost another 2 lbs., bringing me to a 7 lb. weight loss!!! Then the candy, cupcakes, cookies, etc... arrived. I don't dare stand on the scale. Dr. Phil's ideas went down the toilet! Tomorrow, I will "stop the madness" and get back on track. I used to eat in front of tv all the time...all my meals, and snacks. One of his rules is to eat at the table only, no tv. It was quite an adjustment, but a very positive one. No more mindless shoving of food in my mouth. Another rule is to put the fork down between bites. Between that and the natural conversation that takes place at the table, it takes longer to eat, and as a result, I fill up faster. Also, no more "clean plate club." Just from these three rules, I leave the table with food still on my plate, and a full stomach. And since I can't eat in front of tv, it has cut way down on snacking. There are other things, but the best approach to this is to read the book girlfriend. It is a mindblower!

Summer

HatterasMermaid
11-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Hey! (I will comment on my success or lack there of re:son and his IEP later....I've got to much other stuff to discuss....and the weekend was too good...to talk about things that make me rant like a fool!)

Soooo.....Here I sit, 10:30 on Sunday night...I don't know where my bookbag is...this is NOT a good thing! I've had a great weekend! Free from all thoughts of school and the like! hehehe! I've got SOOO much to do before I can call it a night!

BUT...before I go...Yesterday, I did the Cub/Boy Scout mom thing...and went with my two to sell popcorn for their Pack/Troop. Got a sunburn...on the first of November??? WHAT is the world coming to?! Upon returning home, I took a 4 hour nap. 4 hours. What a sin! It was delicious!

Today, my oldest, dearest friend (30+years!) and her family flew their plane to the Williamsburg airport. We hung out at the airport restraunt for a few hours...had a great visit! She brought me the "stuff" from her closet that no longer fits! I have two new blouses, 4 new skirts, and 2 pairs of school appropriate shoes! Gotta love a friend like that! She also went to her local Ross for Less store....and purchased a very cool pair of slacks for me...she said she just KNEW that I'd love them! Well, I do! Mainly cause they are a 12 and fit me wonderfully! :) (In January, I wore a size 20, 22, 24 depending on the piece!) Yahooooo! a 12! What a wonderful wonderful surprise!

Here is what I'm going to do this week!....I'm going to do it! What is your plan???

*I'm going to break the "seal" on my new books, come MOnday...
*I'm going to do a few crunches before I head to bed tonight...
*I'm going to stick to the plan tomorrow!
*I'm going to drink my water...all of it...tomorrow!
*I'm going to fit in at least 15 minutes of exercise into each of my days this week.....I deserve 15 minutes...(I'd gotten sooo good at this...and then school began...sigh!)
*I'm going to get these last 15 pounds off these hips by New Years Eve!
*I'm going to Florida for Thanksgiving...and need to be a few pounds lighter, at least! (I'll share more about THAT trip when my school work is complete!)

Ya'll take care.....I will write more once I catch up on all that I should have done this weekend! Ohhh, it was wonderful to do nothing! :)

((hugs))
Robyn

Summerlover
11-03-2003, 09:03 PM
This is such a hectic time of year. It probably sounds nuts, but I can't wait for January. Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays, especially Christmas. But, because of Halloween, my aide being out today, and Election Day tomorrow, my October testing isn't finished and will be carried over into November. I hate to miss deadlines. As soon as I'm done, I have to get ready for parent/teacher conferences. I am working like a crazy woman to finish testing to prepare my room for the state inspection. Even though I achieved national accreditation, the state of CT still needs to come and check me out. It will be a surprise visit between 12/1-12/15. The worst part of that is there can be no evidence of any holidays...not Christmas, Hanukah, or Kwanzaa. My theme will have to be winter. So everything I do in January & February, I will be doing in December instead. Yes, I can do Martin Luther King in January, and Valentine's in February. I'm just irritated that we have to pretend that the holidays aren't coming. I hate the state of CT sometimes. Instead of celebrating various cultures, we have to be overly politically correct. Tomorrow I'm attending a day long meeting to prepare for the state inspection. I'm getting nervous. At least when NAEYC came last May, I knew when. But two weeks of wondering when the state is gonna just show up will drive me nuts!

I guess since Robyn decided to refrain from ranting, I felt the need to do it myself!

Summer:(

Summerlover
11-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Well, the ranting continues. I spent my day of professional development working with other pre-k teachers on our files in preparation of our state visit. Typical of the government, there is so much documentation required, and the most annoying part is that the same forms have to be copied and put in several different files. So much of the documentation is dry and boring reading. By the end of the day, I was bleary-eyed, and my brain was fried.:fr: There is still more collecting and filing to do, but a large portion of the work is done. I feel a little better about the December inspection now. If nothing else, I'm more prepared than before, but I won't be able to relax until it is over. What is hanging over my head the most is that the state inspector sends her report directly to the superintendent. So, if there is anything wrong, the superintendent knows. That is frightening. I guess all I can do is prepare as much as possible, and then after that, pray like crazy. Once I've handed over to God, there isn't much else to do.

My eating is atrocious. I'm so affected by stress. And with Halloween behind me and my daughter's birthday parties this weekend, I can't seem to get a grip.

I will get back on track eventually. I know I will.

I hope everyone is having a better week than me!

Summer

storylady
11-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Summer I'm sure your visit with the state inspectors will go fine, and you'll end up with a glowing report in your file! You're too professional to let something slip past you, and the time they spend in your room will show them what a caring teacher they have on thier team.

Our decorations don't have to be too politically correct--yet. We can still have Santas, but no angels, which chaps my broad butt. In the library we try to keep out books about all the holidays, cover all the bases as it were. I agree with you, I'm ready for January too. The kids act like they've had Halloween candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner since last week! Discipline problems are multiplying as fast as rabbits and they are bouncing off the walls-literally.

My daughter is watching the "8 Simple Rules" episode without John Ritter, it's so sad. I can't watch it. It really hit me when he died, like someone I knew personally. Crazy I know but I couldn't help it. I hope the show can make it without him, but I can't watch it, not yet.

It's been a week of fights and groundings here, DS and DD fighting and mouthing off. I'm trying hard to hang onto my progress and not stress eat, so far I'm doing okay, not great, but not falling all the way down either. I keep telling myself that it will not help, to eat whatever it is I think I want. I will only hate myself later. So far, so-so.

At least tomorrow is humpday, halfway to the weekend!
take care-
story

calnative
11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone,

I guess I've been AWOL for awhile. I have been sooo busy with lessons and grading papers. It's quite a challenge having 122 students and teaching Language Arts. So many papers :dizzy:
The weather has finally cooled off. Yesterday's high was 75. Finally it feels like Fall. Just like the rest of you, my students are bouncing off the walls. Of course with 7th graders there's a lot more noise :^:
Don't worry about any inspections in your classroom. You just do what you do best. I agree with a previous post: they will see what an excellent, caring, and professional teacher they have. They will be counting their blessings.
We have regular observations coming up in the next 4 weeks. I never arrange days ahead of time. I told the principal to come in anytime, it doesn't matter to me. For me, it's much less stressful than knowing exactly when he is coming in. Plus, whenever he says he's coming in, he doesn't.
We've had problems this week, but I'll elaborate more on that later. I want to see what happens when it's all said and done. We may lose a teacher because of it. Really sad and unfair :cry: :mad:
My daughter went out for trick or treat. She's 6 years old and this is only the second time she's gone out. The first time was through the military housing in Korea when she was 1. This time she had sooo much fun and she was so cute. She dressed as a Korean princess. Of course, she kept telling everyone she was Mulan. Her dress was a Korean Hanbok; a traditional Korean dress. I'd include a picture if I could figure out how to do it. :?:
It is Hump Day. Hope the rest of the week is outstanding for everyone.
I'll try not to go AWOL again.

Cal

Summerlover
11-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Welcome back Cal, I missed you. My almost 6 year old (on 11/11) also had a wonderful time trick or treating. She enjoyed Halloween more this year than ever. We also took her to the circus this past weekend, and she kept saying, "Oh my God!" It was so fun. And then the school week began...:(

Story, I was also devastated by John Ritter's death. I wept over it the week it happened. I couldn't watch the show last night either. I was all cried out over him dying. The commercial was enough to upset me. I loved him the way I love Lucille Ball. People who make me laugh really touch my soul. They have a special talent for healing others by making them laugh.

Well ladies, I had one heck of a time trying to sleep last night. I woke up to pee at 3:17am, and my brain turned on...that was it for the night. I kept thinking about everything I have to do for inspection. We only have a nurse in our building on Tuesdays & Thursdays. The teacher who handles giving meds, injuries, and sick kids on Mon., Wed., & Fri., isn't certified to give meds or in first aid like she is supposed to be. Just wait till the state sees that! I will get certified in first aid on 11/21, but I refuse to get med certified. I was for 13 years when I worked in a group home, and it is a lot of hard work to get med certified. I will let the school take the fall for this because I'm already teacher, social worker, mother, custodian, psychologist, family therapist, etc... I refuse to be the nurse too!

At least I have a home/school coordinator who is super helpful and cooperative.

Thanks for the votes of confidence ladies!!!

Take care all.

Summer

HatterasMermaid
11-06-2003, 02:44 AM
hey ya'll....

it is nearly 2 a.m.... I'm brain dead...and yet can't sleep....can't see straight to read the posts here or to type either...but I still can't sleep.... HOW do you get your brain to turn off and relax?

So much garBaggge (say that with a French accent and you will hear how I meant it!) going on at school this week...I'm so darn
tired.... and I've NOT touched most of what needs to be done...

I'm gonna go try to get BACK in the bed and get to sleep.... I may
be back...with my full forced ranting.....who knows...

hope all are having a good week....tomorrow is Thursday! yahoo!
1 day closer to Friday... (I hate being like THAT!)

take care,
Robyn

storylady
11-07-2003, 12:09 AM
It sounds like something is in the air, everyone I know is having a rough week. My DH at work, my kids at school, although DS managed a nearly perfect report card :) :) while DD slipped from an A to C in science :( .

I think our school building is making us sick. Mold in the air ducts maybe or something, but so many of us are only sick, headachy, tired, dizzy, can't concentrate, upset stomach, when we are THERE, and fine we are not :?: :?: . I see a correlation, can anybody else? Not yet. Maybe when we all keel over. Robyn I guess I decided it was my turn to vent!

Our district also seems to perpetually have it's collective hand out wanting the money they're paying us back for one thing or another. Daily requests for donations to scholarship funds, grant organizations, fundraisers for every flippin organization you can imagine and United Way. I mean if I gave to every one they ask us to help support, I'd have to go on welfare cause I couldn't support myself!

A lunar eclipse is supposed to be visible here on Saturday from about 5 until 9 p.m. DS and I will set up the telescope and see what we can see. Will any of you be able to see it?

Two weeks until Thanksgiving break--halleujah!! A rough two weeks no doubt about it but still. A full week off to sleep and rest and get ready for December. I wish I could afford to get my Christmas shopping at least started, but alas, no. The budget won't allow it just yet.

I too have had trouble sleeping lately. My mind is too full of what I need to do at school, my kids, DH's troubles, my bad eating habits that are creeping back in. I have got to get a grip. I hope all of us can get back on track and get some much needed, much deserved rest. Take care all and
HAPPY FRIDAY!! :) :)

STORY

HatterasMermaid
11-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Sorry to hear that this week stinks all around.....BUT, I'm sort of glad to hear that it isn't just ME! :)

Have I told you that someone in our neighborhood called the police at 6:30 last night to complain about our oldest child's drum playing? 6:30? 6th grade band homework...and Occupational Therapy? In our own home? We were floored. The deputy was very apologetic to the kiddo. He was also very complimentary of the drumming that he heard. My husband and I are beyond angry at the neighbors. We've lived on the street for 12 years with the kid playing the drums for 4. Will spare you further ranting about this........ but I curse my neighbors!

ohhhhh.... a family secret...gotta share this one!....
Have I told you gals that my family is going to go to Florida for the week after Thanksgiving? We will be away from Thanksgiving Day until the end of the first week of December. We have *NEVER* ever taken our vacation during the school year. The "Teacher of the Year" is taking a whole week off from school. AND "Parents of the Year" are taking the two children out of school for a whole week.... I'm terrified about how the boys' schools will react to the news. BUT...we are going. We are going to have fun. I refuse to make them spend all of their time with their grandparents with their noses in books..... (I talk real big now!) Anyway... we're excited, full of anticipation, and I am a bit worried regarding writing lesson plans for a whole week and preparing the room.... BUT...hehehehe.... 20 days from now I'll be headed with my family to relax in Florida! :)

Ok.... enough from me for today...I've got to try to get some sleep... last night I ended up sleeping after 3...and getting up at 5:45...which is crazy! Crazy....that brings me to my day in the classroom...oh yeah..I wasn't going to rant any more for today!

Yes, Story...we're hoping to be able to see the lunar eclipse! Our oldest will be on a camping trip with Scouts...THAT should be fun!

I turned to carbs today in a stressful moment...ARGGGHHH....but man did that bread taste yummy! I hate liking bad food! I hate craving it...and I hate not being strong and being able to be in control....

The latest thing from our new superintendent.......we don't know how to teach minority children. (They are actually using the words black and white in these discussions.....) Our School Improvement Plan must include specific items of WHAT we are going to do in our classrooms that is different, that is visable by observers, to teach the black students. Don't misunderstand me, I know that we can do better! BUT... they haven't told us how to teach.... Do they think that I know this and am just holding back? (Which brings me to merit pay......) Okey...enough from me for the night.... any ideas or places to go to search or something????

Have a wonderful Friday!
Take care!
Robyn

Summerlover
11-07-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm so friggin tired of being sick. I have my fourth cold since September. I'm still taking antibiotics from the bronchitis I had over a week ago. Now I have another cold on top of it. I can't breathe out of my nose. The 12 hour medication I'm taking for congestion doesn't last 12 hours, yet I can't take anything else for two more hours. Anything I take makes me "zooey" so I can't sleep either. I have the choice of not breathing through my nose or being totally hyped up :hyper: and unable to relax enough to fall asleep. One of my students said today, "Mrs. M., you are always sick, aren't you?" I said, "Yes, because you turkeys keep giving me your cooties!" The class cracked up. We reviewed sneezing & coughing into your arm, handwashing after blowing your nose, and tossing the dirty tissue into the garbage. They do great in practice, but when they are hit with the situation in real life, they continue with the bad habits.

Little by little I am collecting the documentation I need for the state inspection. I finally got my November bulletin board up, and there is only one child left for the October testing. My brain never shuts off at night either. I get some really great ideas lying in bed, I guess because that is the only time the world around me is quiet and peaceful enough for my brain to concentrate.

Story, my district is always asking for money too. In fact, I got roped into being the United Way rep for my building. I hate it. My first year I donated, but last year I declined. Guess what? They still took the money out of my paycheck! AAAAHHH!!! I prefer to give my money to my church knowing full well that the money really goes to those who need it. I'm so jealous that you have a full week off for Thanksgiving. We get two days. As far as the lunar eclipse goes, we live too close to NYC to see much in the sky. My DH stayed up for the Northern Lights, but he saw nothing between the trees and all of the "light pollution."

Robyn, I love how you rant. Sorry about your drummer. People suck. :p Just curious, how did you manage taking time off when you don't have a vacation from school? I would love to do something like that, but I think it is impossible where I am. As far as minority children, there are a lot of great multicultural books out there. You can develop a whole unit from them. I'll make a list for you: Abiyoyo, A Rainbow of Friends, A Carp for Kimiko...there are so many more that I have in my book center in my classroom. It is hard to remember off the top of my head. I can compile a more complete list if you would like that. My district has a very small percentage of white students. We have mostly black, Hispanic, and Asian. There are many other countries also represented, but in much smaller numbers.

This weekend is my DD birthday party. Tomorrow will be spent cleaning. On Sunday we will have a gymnastics party at the YMCA for all of her friends, and then the family party at my house afterwards. I may not have much time to check in. So if you don't see me, you will know why.

Summer

calnative
11-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Friday at last!!:D
What a week this has been. I think I got the flu that has been going around. Fever around 104 for 2 days. Just went back today. My kids were holy terrors the past 2 days. They were afraid to do anything today when I came back. They were given a test. I told them if they thought they were smart enough to play around and not do their work, then they must know enough to pass the test. They weren't happy, but they did not say much. I believe they were afraid to do anything that would get them into more trouble.

The sub went through things in my room and many things are missing; including the keys to my cabinets. :mad: Told the principal and he said I'm not the only one to complain about this sub. My students told me that she was terrible. She played the radio (changed my station) and just looked things up on the computer. My room was a mess. I used to be a sub, but I sure don't like having one. :mad:

We have a student who was really creating havoc with a couple of teachers I work with. One teacher was placed on administrative leave this weak until everything was straightened out. He spoke with the super, principal, and personnel manager yesterday. (They also conducted interviews with other teachers and students). Come to find out this student was lying to get this teacher in trouble. Same student did the same to another teacher. Everything worked out, but both teachers were worried they were going to lose their jobs. Principal put his neck out to support them. The student was written up and suspended. Glad now that everything is ok. These are good teachers.

Our district does have a serious flaw: no type of alternative school or discipline plan for students. The students know they will not be punished: it's nearly impossible for a student to be suspended. We don't know how they expect us to teach when the students run the school. :?: :?: Have you ever heard of a middle school without a schoolwide detention, in school suspension, Saturday school, or an alternative school??:?: Crazy.

Stress is wreaking havoc with my weight loss. I feel depressed so I want to shop. When I shop I feel depressed because I spend money (which hubbie complains about) then I want to eat. I know I shouldn't but it's like I can't help it. :cry: I feel awful.

Only 6 more weeks until Winter break (3 weeks off!! :D I am counting the days!!

My daughter is doing better at school. At least she's stopped picking on the boys. :) I'll be glad when her teacher comes back on Nov 17 from maternity leave. The sub has let Ashley miss the bus 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Hubbie went to school the last time and really let them know about it. In fact, the bus driver complained also.

Only 6 more weeks!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Does everyone have Veteran's Day off?

Take care,

Cal

HatterasMermaid
11-09-2003, 12:21 AM
no to Veteran's Day.....
I don't remember EVER getting that day off....

storylady
11-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Happy Sunday everyone. No, we don't have Veteran's Day off either. But we get the entire week of Thanksgiving off, which is a bit much I think, but I'll take it!

Summer could I have caught your cold via cyberspace? I kept feeling the tickle in my throat on Friday evening and by yesterday it was full-blown sore, by last night I'd lost my voice entirely, not even a squeak. DH ran to get me some hot liquid medicine but I think got the wrong kind, bless him, and it didn't help much in the wee hours when I depserately wanted to sip it and go back to sleep. It was not to be. And now for even more fun, I can feel it moving into my lungs, can't cough, can't breathe, head feels heavy and throbs, and I have a fever. Yiippee. This is my reward for washing my hands like a crazy woman and being so careful at work. It just ain't fair, is it? :?:

Cal, the situation with the sub is horrible. I could never sub. The kids go absolutely wild, it's insane. And some of the subs they send, my gosh you have to wonder where did they dig this guy up? Last year a sub in kindergarten broke into the teacher's locked cabinet and told the kids to tell the teacher that the door broke! :devil:

I should have made myself get my work done here at home yesterday, but alas I laid around hoping I'd feel better. Now I have to face it all today feeling twice as bad. It figures. Hope we all have a better week this week than last.
story

HatterasMermaid
11-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Goodness...I sure hope all are feeling better soon! My husband and I are sharing a strange stomach thing....what fun! My children at home are nearly as crazy as my children at school. I want to crawl in my bed and sleep it all away...BUT... I have 26 different report cards due on Thursday...no sleep for the weary!

I'm off to say something positive, something negative and then a goal for the next 9 weeks.... nothing like being told what to say or how to say it... OHHHH well!

ya'll get some rest! 17 days until we leave for Florida....
take care
Robyn

storylady
11-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh man oh man oh man. I knew this was the hardest time of the year but going through it is a nightmare. This week alone there have been daily fights (3 yesterday), 2 'runners' (kids who decide to go, leave, hasta-la-vista-baby, one, today a kindergartener), and the icing on the cake, today a sub slapped a student. The kids are wild, absolutely gone. The staff is sick, all of us. Headaches, bronchitis, we sound more like a TB ward than a school. And with the weather due to turn cold tomorrow, it'll get worse. Next week, with the countdown to a week off, it will be hard. I plan on showing a nice Thanksgiving video and taking it as easy as possible! Parent nights, club meetings, fundraiser events. The kids aren't getting to bed so they are tired the next day, falling asleep in class, or short tempered and snotty. I overlook as much as I can but we all have our limits.

On the food front I'm proud to say I'm holding strong. Not letting the stress push me to eat. I keep telling myself it won't help, only make things worse. Ironically it's when the pressure is off and I can relax that I'll probably head for a binge, so I'll need to be even more vigilant. I hope everyone else is having a good week. I'm off to ride the bike and see what's for supper.
story

calnative
11-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone, :wave:

I am so sorry I have been AWOL again. We have progress reports due on Friday and I have to fill out 122. :eek: Our administrators were kind enough to remind us today that we have 2 days to get these ready to mail out. :stress:

Our stupidintendant is coming for our staff meeting tomorrow after school. The principal has promised us that the meeting will not go over 20 minutes. Riiiiighhhht!!:nose: I'll believe that when it happens. The stupidintendant actually subbed for a teacher a couple of weeks ago...how lucky he was to sub for our possessed 8th graders....on the day they decided to have a food fight, no less. So now he thinks we need some ideas on discipline. No duh!! If they'd back us up some more and give us some deterents we just might be able to finally do some teaching. The kids are even saying now that they know they will not be suspended no matter what because the administration doesn't want to have low attendance numbers. They have no idea what is going on in that school. When kids bring knives, a gun, shove teachers, tell teachers to "f" off, kick a pregnant teacher they have only gotten up to 3 days suspension and they are right back at school as if nothing has happened. They know that's the worst they will get. What ever happened to "zero tolerance"? :?: :?: They did finally put back our Saturday school; but what good will that be if there isn't any consequence to students who do not show up. We have had 7 students so far not show up and nothing has been done. AARRRRRRGGGHHH!!!:bomb:

I do work with some of the greatest teachers. We have really pulled together this year and everyone is really helping each other a lot more than last year. Too bad most of them will be leaving next year. Most of the teachers I know are looking to go somewhere else. One said he'd rather dig ditches for a living than stay at the school....very sad. :(

I work very hard to have positive thoughts. Yesterday we were off and I took Ashley to see "Brother Bear". Cute movie. It was a nice change of pace.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cal

storylady
11-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Calnative, sounds as if the stress level is getting you, too. Big hug :grouphug: I have to say after reading your post that our discipline problems are nothing in comparison! Guess I should count my blessings and not sweat the small stuff. Our district does have a 'zero tolerance' policy and it is enforced. Alternative campus, suspensions, whatever it takes to get the point across. In my campus, an elementary school, it's just scary to see so much anger in kids so young. Lately they've been wilder than normal, like they've eaten nothing but Halloween candy for the past 2 weeks.:crazy: (love the new smilies!)

I hope your week gets better, hang in there. And Robyn, I forgot to tell you how envious I am--Florida! What a treat. I would love to do that but my DS has lately become such a stickler for tradition, not that we have all that many in our little family. So Thanksgiving at home with the turkey and trimmings, putting up the tree and watching the parades on tv will be our holiday. I shouldn't complain, she'll be gone from home too soon, just a few more years.

Hoping everyone has a great Thursday, counting down to the weekend!
story

Summerlover
11-13-2003, 09:04 PM
WOW! So we are all sick. We are all trying to cope with administrators who refuse to provide consequences for bad behavior. Subs suck, don't they? I have one that I can trust, but when I request her, she is hardly ever available. We are spread all over the country, and yet we have so many of the same issues.

TGIF...almost. Hurray! I can breathe through my nose again! I requested a personal day for the 21st so I could watch my daughter perform in a Thanksgiving show. The asst. super (I love stupidintendent!!!) didn't want to honor it because I've been out of school 5 whole days already. The principal stood up for me, told him I had doctor's notes, and was legitimately ill each time. She really backed me up, and he decided to give me the personal time. I just hate the way they are watching my sick time so closely. It is the school's fault. The germs come from the students. I bring them home and get my family sick. My immune system is shot because of my STRESSFUL job teaching those cretins, trying to impress the state, etc... So, the school gets me sick, but when I stay home to try to get well, I get penilized. AAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry I've been gone so long. In between being ill, I had my DD's birthday parties. It has been the week from **** with parent/teacher conferences. It just never ends!!!

I am so glad to have you wonderful ladies who really understand what I'm going through.

Take care and get healthy!!!

Summer

Summerlover
11-15-2003, 10:55 AM
I am hoping to "get a grip" this week. I'm finally just about all better from my various colds and infections. The celebrations are over at least for the next week & a half. I'm slowly but surely gathering what I need for the state inspection. I'm trying really hard to chill out and not get myself panicked. If I can remain calm, I will stay healthier in the long run. Right now I have to find old multicultural lesson plans to submit. There is so much emphasis put on multicultural lessons that we barely have time to teach the usual curriculum. The month of October was a wash because of testing. The testing is crucial especially for parent/teacher conferences, but it is sooooo time consuming that the kids miss out on a lot of instruction. Oh well...that's life.

My paraprofessional who's been on maternity leave is coming back on Monday. Nobody expected her back so soon because she was having trouble getting child care. The para who has been with me since August is devastated. She will be working with kindergarten now, and none of those teachers is very kind. I realized early on that the para didn't have both oars in the water, and since I have a 15 year background of working with the mentally handicapped, I was able to train her to be pretty good at her job. She drove me nuts until I just accepted that she had major issues and worked around them. I doubt that the k teachers will have that kind of patience. I'm afraid that they will be mean to her. I've tried to prepare the way for her, but there is just so much I can do. I can't force them to be nice to her. In the meantime, now that I've trained her extensively, it turns out that she is better than my para who will be back on Monday! Oh well, just like everything else at this school, I have no control who my assistant will be.

I put in a title 1 order for a kidney shaped table to do small group activities with my students. I also (God forbid!) ordered construction paper. My order was turned down because the items on my order form have nothing to do with CMT (Connecticut Mastery Test) goals. I TEACH PRE-K!!! How are my students supposed to learn to cut, color, and write without paper?! As usual, if I need something, I have to buy it myself! I'm so tired of spending my own money. Since I started teaching in 2000, I've spent thousands of dollars on school supplies. The funny thing is that the very same assistant stupidintendent who turned down the order came to me in the fall saying if I ever needed anything, he would get it for me...BULL!!!

I have so much school work to get to today. I'd better get to it.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Summer

calnative
11-16-2003, 09:45 AM
Where is everyone?? :shrug: :mag:

Summer: I'm sorry about the paper thing. I agree that it's crazy to have to buy things out of our own pockets. The $250 deduction the Feds give us on the 1040 doesn't even begin to make a dent. I read somewhere that no other business requires their employees to buy their own supplies. I do so agree. Keep the faith and know that those little angels you're teaching have you on a very high pedastal. How cute, Pre-K!! I salute you for taking that age group. :bravo: :cp:

Hello to everyone else. Where is everyone?:shrug: :mag:

Cal

Summerlover
11-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Cal, after teaching 4 year olds, I never want to teach another age group. I adore them. Have a great week minus the stress! Summer