Old 10-09-2003, 09:42 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Indian Summer Thursday

BBIAB to post!

Ali
Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #2  
Running Babe

Good morning all,

I went to bed early last night, but am still really tired... I think it's a cold.. My BF called me at midnight, but I was so nackered I think the convo lasted about 2 mins... my best friend called at some point too, but I hardly remember.

It's nice now, my cat is finally letting me sleep through the night without waking me or my roomates up which is fabbo... I think that's maybe why my roomie and I are doing better. I had the house to myself for a while last night too which was nice (and rare)... I love having people around, but I cherish those moments of silence, where I can just relax...

BTW: who here slow cooks?

Kim: I knew people at University would go to Costco or another super grocery store to get free samples which would substitute as their dinners hehehe... I wish the samples really were points free! I always adhere to the fact that calories don't count at Christmas, or my birthday

Take care!

Ali
Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 AM   #3  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Morning Ali! Morning everyone else coming out to post. It was a very slow day yesterdayon the boards.

I got on the scale this morning and I am down 1 of the 2 pounds that I gained last week so that is good. Tommorrow is my officical WI but I doubt I will be down much more. So I guess that I wasn't doing as badly as I had thought. That is always a good thing. I have been walking during my breaks at work so I guess that has helped but I haven't had time for a good sweaty workout since Saturday.

Unfortunatley the busyness isn't going to slow down for DH this wknd however I am going to get a break on Saturday and I've already planned to rollerblade with one of my girlfriends. I am looking forward to it. Well that is about all that is going on in my exciting life.

Kim~ Sorry about the anxiety in covering such a big story. I think I would be a little weirded out to. I am sure you will kick butt thought, as usual!

I know that Kim was the last post of the day but other than that I am blanking as to who else I should say Hey to so come out again today!

Well I better get some work done. BBL!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:07 AM   #4  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Ali~ We posted at the same time. I hope you aren't getting a cold. Load up on Vitamin C and Echinacea. I too love those silent evenings. Glad you squeezed one in! Have a great day.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #5  
Running Babe

Becky: Concentrate on the good things you are doing.. Besides being down eve 1/2lb is still a loss Yup... lots of vitamin C for me hehehe! Tonight, I may go for a run after work!

Take care!

Ali
Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #6  
Cockeyed Optimist

Kim - you are going to be just fine. Your paper is lucky to have such a good reporter to cover this trial for them.

Ali - I'm sending anti-cold vibes. Growing up, we were rather broke. My mom and I always did the grocery shopping on sample day - that was our dinner once a week.

Becky - Good for you fitting those quick walks in. I've often read that several short bursts of activity are helpful if you don't have time for a concentrated work-out.

Speaking of working out, I walked 3 miles this morning and I have yoga tonight. I need to walk outdoors more I think. I noticed that my pace is slower outside than on the treadmill and I need to correct that before the race.

If this next part sounds whiny, please forgive me, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed this morning. My acutal intent is to get some advice/suggestions - especially from you mothers.

Starting last week, rather unexpectdly, we have been assisting CB's sister with childcare. She's a night nurse and has found herself without a vehicle. Her sons aren't eligible for the bus (private school) so we've been dropping off and picking up - this requires 4 trips as the boys go to different schools at different start/end times. We've also been taking care of them on the nights their mother works.

As all of you are aware, we are in the process of moving. My house has no furniture (we can't sleep there). His apartment has no food or kitchen stuff (we can't feed them there). Etc. Plus, we have a busy schedule as we weren't planning on the boys being with us. I worked 2nd job Tuesday and again on Sunday. We have cable installation planned for tomorrow, carpet cleaning on Saturday and a wedding to attend Saturday night.

So here's the thing, our lives are in a serious state of flux. We've both been using our lunch hours (split in half) to handle getting the boys to and from school. At night, CB drives his sister to work and then plops the boys in front of the TV while I'm working, at practice etc. He's been feeding them fast food for dinner. I've been getting them ready for school and feeding them frozen waffles with syrup - every stinking morning.

I feel badly for these kids. If I remember childhood right, one should spend evenings (after homework) playing games or being outside - not in front of the TV. And I'm pretty sure they ought to be eating veggies, fruit, and milk - not fries every day. Any thoughts on how we can make things a little easier for them? Or do we just expect them to make do the next week until the move is finished?

Well, as long as I'm writing a book.

Jayne - how goes school, Drew, Aaron and the noodle?

Kier - any decisions on bridesmaids dresses and flowers?

Jess - Did you get the job?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:59 AM   #7  
Running Babe

Laura: That's exactly why my friends would do that... I know when I was going around on Tuesday I could have easily eaten a dinners worth of food, there was soo much (pizza, doughnuts, salad, tons of cheeses, bread, popcorn, tortillas)... free food that tastes good, why not eh!
Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #8  

Hey girls! Still around, reading your posts, just not much to say.

Since I am a mom, I thought I would give you my advice Laura!

If I were CB's sister, I would be preparing some individual left over (or what have you) lunches/dinners to send with the boys (or drop off to you) to have you simply heat them up. It is important for the kids to eat right, but I also think a TON is being asked of you and CB. I understand she works nights, but she is home at least part of the day to be making it easier for you two to feed the boys.

How long doesn't she have a car for? If expense isn't too much of an issue, she should rent a car while she needs one, that is a lot of running for you two, especially when you have to give up your lunch hours and you are both trying to organize your life!

If she can't make the kids dinners ahead of time, the kids aren't going to take much hurt in a week's worth of McD's.

Don't stress too much. Since you guys have so much going on, even if the kids are watching a lot of TV this week, they are fine. You can't be the super babysitters and completely entertain them when you have so much going on.

Ok, that was probably more advice than you wanted! I hope everyone else is doing well. Good job to those of you with losses this week. I know there will be more!

Well, I need to get a couple of assignments done, I also need to get out for a walk, I certainly need the exercise!

Talk to you all later!
Old 10-09-2003, 11:41 AM   #9  
A Yankee in Virginia

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Laura: What a tough situation you're in! You and CB are saints! Can I be really blunt for a minute? If she can afford to put the kids in private school, why can't she handle the whole "providing for them" thing? Why can't she rent a car? And I'm with Tonya, she should be preparing meals to leave with you or something. Something! How long is this supposed to go on? That's tough for the kids ... I wish I had a good solution.

Actually, your post made me think of a topic. I'm curious what everyone thinks about public school vs. private school. I went to public school, and then to a state university. DH went to private school, and to a private university. We have very different opinions on the issue. I know we won't be able to afford the private schools, but are they better? I guess I've always been partial to public schools because I think I got a pretty good education out of them. At the same time, the schools then didn't have the crime and violence problems that schools have now. So what's the answer? I have a whole lot of respect for teachers, esp. public school teachers. Just curious what everyone thinks.

And if it's too heavy of a topic for a Thursday, feel free to ignore it! I've just been thinking of things like this a lot lately since I have babies on the brain!

Ali: Hope you're feeling better! I'm still getting over my cold ... just the cough is left.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:51 AM   #10  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Laura - can I just say you sound like super-woman this week? Organizing your house/moving-in, taking care of kids, shuffling them around. It's making me tired just thinking about it! I agree with Tonya - one week of fast food while in transition will not hurt the kids, once everything is settled they will have a chance to get back to eating "good" food and playing outside at night instead of TV.

Tonya - good to "see" you again!

Becky - way to go on the loss!

Ali - Hope you can beat that cold with the vitamin C and sleep - I hate that I'm-getting-sick feeling.

So apparently I've been sabatoging myself all week, because I'm not happy with the number on the scale this morning - had to weigh myself today since I'm heading home tomorrow to the parent's. Up 5 pounds. I knew I would not be down considering the massive amount of eating I did all weekend, but 5? Must be some extra sodium that I've been eating too.

What I think I'm going to do is add a motivation to my Halloween goal - I can buy a leather coat for this weekend once I hit the 149 mark. I found one that's gorgeous and fits great - but I've been sabotaging myself all weekend and not paying any attention to what I'm eating... so I've decided I cannot buy it until I hit the 149 mark!

gotta work bbl
Old 10-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #11  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Kim - missed your post! As far as private vs. public - I lived in a small town, we did not have the choice of private vs public - so it was public school for me, all the way through even in college. No bad effects for me from it - but like I said, small town. I think it would depend on the schools in your area, not necessarily public vs private as a whole.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Girls I ahve been so sick My doc thinks I have IBS so to make a change from my PB toast (one of he few things that doesnt make my stomach hurt) I'm having a soy slimfast with 1/2 soy milk and 1/2 water its actually not bad
this week has been murder healthwise I'm totally knocked out
on the bright note My mom got the flowers I sent her today and she loved em 18 autumnal colored roses and she said they smelled wonderful she was having a rough week and Hallmark had free shipping I love my mom
Kim (my fellow O'Brien)I went to a public school and attend a Public U I think it depends on the quality of the school I grew up in a safe area and my school was 6 in the state academically people actually paid for their kids (from other towns) to go to our school I say you just do your research and see who has the best schools
Laura Hi Dollface! I have made nooooo decisions yet we're still waiting to see what date we get But Actually i was thinking if we do a more autumn wedding i could do Autumn colored roses and depending on what month have cornocopias on the tables and mums and leaves and maybe have the girls in deep red
thenagain theirs always shades of lavender and plum . . . as for the kids Even if she can't swing a rental car she could put some healthy food together for them cheese salad some chicken b/c you guys are going above and beyond the call. . .btw you rock lady!
Tonya Hey Gorgeous we're all just glad you're here
Becky you slenderifying lady A your life sounds pretty good to me and B as long as the scales going down it doesn't matter how far it goes! chin up
Ali the sweatergoddess I love samples lol and i dream of an early nights sleep!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #13  
Cockeyed Optimist

Hey Ladies! Thanks. I think I might just ask their mom to send a healthy dinner with them if she doesn't want them to eat fast food. On the no car vs. private school thing - the family car disappeared along with the boys father last week. Makes it hard on CB's sister to know how long she'll need our help. You guys are right - one week of McD's and TV won't kill them. I think I just feel so bad 'cuz all this has got to be scary for them. Not sure what we will do about the boys and school tomorrow. CB and I had the day off work to be at home for cable and move stuff - we live 40 mintues away so 4 school runs would pretty much ruin the day.

Tonya! So good to "see" you. How is school and the pregnancy going? How soon is it until the baby is here?

Kim - I went to public schools and a public university as did all my siblings. I'm pretty partial to the public school system but that is because my grandparents, parents and a SIL are all teachers in the public schools. I can understand private school if it also entails religious instruction that the parents feel is important to raising their children.

Angie - Good idea to hold out that jacket as a goal. I like to do that too. My last reward was a stability ball. I love it.

Kier - hey hon - glad you managed to stop in for a bit. I love the idea of autum colored flowers and gowns. If I were the wedding type (as opposed to the courthouse type), I'd probably go that route. My older brother was married during Oct. and our dresses were hunter green - no flowers. My sister was married at the beginning of Sept and the dresses were silver with bright pink roses - just gorgeous!

Thanks again for reassuring me about the boys. I am so not the mothering sort.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:21 PM   #14  
Running Babe

Kim: It really depends on the public school, so I say whenever your kids are nearing high school, I say check them all out. I went to a very bad public high school, but there was an excellent one three miles down the road... (they were strict about which school one went to... it depended on one's address). I wished I could have gone to a high school which put a lot of pressure on academic success... mine didn't... I coasted by... didn't have to read much and I still got very high marks (yup I was a slacker many people resented... I was never the top in my grade, but occasionally made the top 10).

Angie: I want a leather coat too!!

Kierie: I gave my mom roses for her bday and loved them... she's depressed right now, so I'll probably buy her some more with an autumn theme! Excellent idea (do you mind me borrowing the idea).

Laura: you're definetely very sweet for helping his sister out... she must be going through so much right now...

Tonya: Howdy!!

Take care!

Ali
Old 10-09-2003, 03:15 PM   #15  

Thanks for asking about me girls!

I am feeling good. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and have gained 10 lbs so far, which I feel pleased about. I have 2 1/2 months left. It has really been going by fast!

School is a lot of work,especially with working full time, taking care of the kids and DH and such, but I manage!

I am glad to see you are all sticking to the plan and the pounds are falling off. I will be joining you guys in January!!!!
Closed Thread