General Diet Plans and Questions - The Plan - Fall Edition

View Full Version : The Plan - Fall Edition

ledom
10-04-2003, 09:55 AM
The plan is what you decide to do to enhance your health and help you lose weight. We've tried a bunch of them on our friendly journey as diet buddies. WW, Atkins, What would Jesus eat, Tops, Prevention Millennium diet, Body For Life, BRx, South Beach. Collectively you could say we are "experienced dieters". Nothing to brag about for sure, but we do have fun, so feel free to join in.

ledom
10-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Morning girls, finally the weekend. I need to stay in my house paying bills, cleaning, and then some more cleaning, grading, etc. Oh, and not to forget, exercising. I just totally let it go this week and my goal is to get it back next week.

aleka
10-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Went to a wedding yesterday. My girlfriend's son got married. Had a wonderful time. They had a DJ that played very diverse music which was nice. He even played some of the "oldies". We actually did the "twist" and I am able to move this morning. :lol: :lol: This girlfriend is the one who I hadn't seen in 40 yrs. and she came to my Dad's wake. DH & I did not know a soul at this wedding, except for my friend. We figured we'd be at a back table at the reception and at an appropriate time after eating, we'd leave. Well....we were sitting right up front with the parents of the groom and a few of their friends. Needless to say we stayed to the end and glad that we did.

ledom, how was the bill paying? I have to get with the exercise too, I was slack this past week also. I have a problem getting back to it when I slack off.

judi, how are you doing?

Hi Cheryl :wave:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

4myloves
10-05-2003, 01:57 PM
I am heading South today! I start my new job tomorrow!

I came by my brother's house today so I could catch up and say hey!

Ledom--I'm glad you started a new thread!! That other one sure was getting long..... Isn't this weather we're having GREAT! I wanted to go fishing so badley today!:)

Alice--wish I could've seen you doing the twist! Bet you were cool!

Hey Judi-poo! Hope you're doin' well! Hope the future in-laws are well :D

Later! Cheryl

ledom
10-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Good morning everyone. Best of luck to you Cheryl as you begin your new job in your new home. How exciting to start in a whole new environment. Yes the weather is great, I am glad to see the rain though because we need it here.

alice, that wedding sounds like so much fun. That is so neat how you have reconnected with an old friend.

How you be judi? Anything exciting going on?

Friday I leave for my 23 mile wilderness paddle down the Buffalo. Think we might have some rain then but I hope not. It is the full moon weekend and it'd be nice to see it.

Got another busy week ahead of me. I started it off right though. Did not hit snooze this a.m., but got up at 5 and did my chest training. Will also get in a 1 mile walk before work today.

Hope everyone is geared up for a good week.

aleka
10-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Cheryl, I wish you all the best in your new job, and your new place to live. You must be very excited with starting things anew.
Can't wait to hear about it.

ledom, glad that you have had such a productive morning. I kind of overslept this morning. It was one of those nights that Lacee wanted to be let out in the middle of the night, then when I got back to bed I tossed and turned for a few hrs. Your kayaking trip sounds so exciting. Will this be another camping trip or a day trip?

Hey judi, how are you?

Have a good day.

ledom
10-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone - Well my kayak float got canceled due to low rain fall. The river is too low and would require a lot of draggiing of the boat. I think I might camp out here on the local lake. At least Fri. night for the full moon. I have never camped alone before, but I think I might be up for it. It is so pretty out now w/ the leaves starting to change colors.

I have been having a good diet/workout week so far. I have set a little mini goal to reach for my birthday. Hopefully I can stay focused on that.

judi
10-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi y'all! Sounds like everyone is doing good...especially that twisting Alice! I think if I twisted I would really twist something.

Leaves are turning! Aren't they nice!

Best wishes on your mini goal Ledom, you will do it.

Cheryl, let us know how the trip south was and the what you think about the new job.

My D. has been phoning me and then it doesn't matter what I say she gets offended and hangs up...it is like walking on egg shells all the time except I keep crashing thru the eggs no matter what I say or do:(

Just gaining and losing the same few pounds...nothing much new here.

ledom
10-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey judi- it's so good to hear from you. Chin up!!! Is DH & Estaban home now?

Yesterday was Brody's surgery to be neutered. As neccessary as it was, I still hated it for him. He seems fine, maybe a little tired.

Well I slept late so I need to get busy doing my workout. Have a good day everyone.

aleka
10-09-2003, 07:36 AM
We are having such delightful weather. It's been sunny and in the mid 70's. We are starting to see some color, but usually this upcoming weekend we are at peak foliage. But, this year we are nowhere near that. I am wondering if maybe the humid/damp summer has something to do with it. :?:

ledom, sorry your trip was canceled, it sounded like it would be a fun trip. Camping by a lake sounds like fun especially this time of year. Have a wonderful time. I agree with judi, you will make your mini goal by your birthday. How is Brody this morning?

judi, you walking on egg shells with your D is probably due to her hormones. Just hang in there. :balloons:

Cheryl, hope the move went smoothly.

Have a good day!

ledom
10-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Little Precious is back to his normal self it seems. This has to be the sweetest cat I have ever had. When he sits in my lap he lays his head over on my arm and sometimes he wraps his tail around my arm. It feels like a hug. He is by far the most affectionate of the 3 cats.

Alice, our foliage is just starting to be really pretty. I am definitley camping this weekend.

judi, I wish I had advice to offer you. What does DH say? I might have to tell her that she is making me feel bad and to QUIT IT! I'm kinda childlish that way, but she needs to be sweet to her Mama. You have feelings too. I believe I'd let her make all the moves toward commuinication for a while. Maybe there is a gentle way to somehow get the point across to her that she needs to straighen up.

judi
10-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I hope it is harmones:(

Weather here has taking a cold rainy dip...though for a change this doesn't bother, I had such a nice summer so I can weather (pun) a change.

I went to have some blood tests to see if I have diabetes. I am so sleepy all the time and it is in our family, so it was something I thought I should check out.

Yes, the DH and cat are home. Both are busy doing their own things...the DH is building an office downstairs and doing Hebrew, the cat is doing his thing. Faithful Marley, is the guy who is keeping tabs on me and what I am doing at all times.

Yesterday I found a recipe for some sweet sticky squares from the sixties and made them, they are so unlike anything we eat now that I had some scrapings from the bottom of the pan and froze them. They can be part of the cookies for Christmas, which is only 2 months away. Can you believe that??

Glad to hear Brody is feeling OK.

aleka
10-10-2003, 08:55 AM
The weather here has been so fantastic!! Yesterday I had the sunroof in my car open all the way...then I was afraid a bee would get in so then partially opened it. I am not a big fan of any type of bug :p

There will be a lot of people around this weekend closing up their summer cottages. Also one of the last, if not oldest, fair is going on this weekend. We won't be venturing very far because of the crowds. So, we'll get a lot of our errands done today.

judi, want to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving on Monday and hope you have a very nice time at the home of the other grandparents/possibly in-laws.

ledom, hope you have a fantastic long holiday weekend and a wonderful time camping. Tell us all about the camping trip when you get back.

Cheryl, how did you first day on the job go? Do you have Monday off? One place I worked used this holiday as a floater so that we could have the day after Thanksgiving off. That worked out nice. Have a great holiday weekend.

Enjoy your day!

judi
10-12-2003, 03:27 AM
Alas, I won't be going to the inlaws because of the kafuffle with my D....she sent them a note saying we weren't coming. I couldn't take the sniping from her anyway:( I was looking forward to meet them too, I hope they won't thinks were a**es but if they do there is nothing to do but live with it. Thanks for your good wishes though, Alice, you are so sweet and that is appreciated right now.

Its ok, we will go to mass on Thanksgiving Day and after go to our favourite sushi place.

It is mega-raining here! Our summer people have gone but I think a lot more people have moved to the island, I noticed a real increase in ferry traffic.

I ordered some Christmas cards and a new 2004 calendar on line. It won't be that long now. 2 1/2 months! WOW!

Hope you are having fun camping Ledom.

Have a good and peaceful Sunday everyone!

aleka
10-12-2003, 08:24 AM
judi, I am so sorry that you won't be goint to the prospective in-laws for Thanksgiving. I don't imagaine they will think you are a##es. Maybe it will be for the best to keep a little distance from your D for awhile and let her come to you when she's ready. At least you will be doing something fun on your holiday. Enjoy your sushi! Will your favorite priest be conducting mass?

Has all the rain you've been having helped with the drought? We're having delightful weather, sunny and in the 70's. Perfect Indian Summer weather. We do have a lot of summer people around this weekend. Sat. morning we went out rather early to get some errands done. Within the past couple of days our foliage has started to pop out. Some of the colors are very vibrant. It was late in coming this year.

Christmas seems to be coming way too soon. My cousin, who vacations here in the summer, and I will be making a trip to NYC with a tour group the first weekend in Dec. That is fast approaching too.

ledom, hope you are having a good time.

Cheryl, how are the new digs?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

ledom
10-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Good morning. judi, I hope you enjoy your day w/ DH. Hang in there w/ DD, I know it's tough but maybe Alice is right. Give her some space.

My camping trip was fun. The foliage is really pretty here too. The temps a little warmer, but still nice. I enjoyed camping solo. It was my first time to try it and I managed just fine. Had some great paddling and I saw a river otter and a flock of wild turkeys.

I am going to see Under the Tuscan Sun this afternoon with a friend.

aleka
10-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Hope you both had a good weekend. We noticed that some trees have vibrant color while other trees are still green. We had rain on Sun. night, then wind on Mon. I can't believe how many leaves have fallen in just 1 day! We have had such delightful weather, but now it's turning cooler and it does feel more like fall. I heard the "s" word for further north on Sat.

Glad you had a nice time on your camping trip, ledom. Did you take any photos of the wildlife you saw? How was Under the Tuscan Sun? I would like to see Mystic River. I read the book a few months ago and thought it was very good.

judi, hope you had a good Thanksgiving. How was the sushi?

Have a good one!

judi
10-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Yes, you are both right...she needs space. I was reading somewhere the closer a kid is a child the further they need to go as an adult to get some differentation from "mom". It 's rough when you are mom though.

Yup, Alice the mass was said by my favourite priest. I ended up making Neat balls (veg. version of meatballs) and spaghetti. Christmas and Thanksgiving are times that I DO miss turkey ... there are no good substitutes. One year for Christmas we had a tofu-rky, honestly it was it was just like trying to eat a big earaser.

What was the Tuscan Sun like? That is one movie I would like to see.

Tomorrow we are going to California until the end of the month. I am going with the DH. I haven't gone on a trip with him since early June so I am looking forward to it.

Your trip sounded so nice Ledom. It must have been so wonderfully peaceful.

I am in a holding pattern with dieting...not losing, not gaining. Alas, I won't make our goal Ledom:o I am ashamed but it is easier to be ashamed then to lose the weight;)

4myloves
10-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Judi--don't give up! Tofu-rky? ROFLMAO.......That sounds like something I don't want to try! So, are you meatless again? I must have missed that.

Alice--how ya doin, chick? Snow already? Wow--I hope we're a long way from that here!

Hey Ledom! Still doin BFL? How're things going for you? Under the Tuscan Sun looks interesting to me, also.

My new job is going well. All the ladies I work with seem really nice so far. Not sure how to take my boss yet. She's already asked me if I'd mind "taking the heat" for something. Not anything "big," mind you, just a mixed up appointment. But I've only been here a week-and-a-half, and I don't know if that's a precedent I want to set. I'm a full-on believer of watching out for the folks I work for, and I believe if I have a great boss, that watching out is justifiable--I don't know her well enough yet to make that decision.

Sigh.

Y'all take care--
Cheryl

ledom
10-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Good to hear from you girls this a.m.

Tuscan Sun is good - a chick flick so don't go dragging your men to it unless they enjoy that sort of thing. It is light and enjoyable.

judi - have fun on your trip. Sounds like good timing all around for getting out and doing some traveling. This is the time of year I would choose to travel if I had the option.

Cheryl, sounds like you are on top of things. I'd bide my time, as you seem to be doing, on understanding your boss. I have had more "personal trauma" this year w/ co-workers than since I started my job. All resulting from this silly team teaching class. I have found that at least half of the problem is me jumping to conclusions when I really don't know them that well. That said, I really think we have bad chemistry as a team. The happy thing is I never have to do it again.

I'm a bit stalled on weight loss as well. I have a major mental block to going lower I believe. Or physical. I am not sure which, but I am at the point where I always start back up the scale. I plan to work through this, but things have slowed down for me. I have not been exercising this week after doing good last week, not so good the week before. I am needing more rest lately and just have been sleeping in. Maybe it's the change in the weather? I am not going to beat myself up over it. I think will move beyond it.

Alice, I hope you are having a great week.

Take care all.

aleka
10-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Good morning,

We had a good rain and wind storm overnight which took care of a lot of our leaves. There are a few bare trees out in our front yard this morning. I was supposed to meet a friend early this morning for a trip to the southern part of NH, but thankfully she postponed it until tomorrow because I was not looking forward to driving in the heavy rain we were having. It has finally cleared but we are to have the wind for at least a couple of days and it is supposed to start getting colder.

Cheryl, glad that you like your new job so far. I agree with ledom to just hold back until you can assess the situation. Do you think she might have been testing you in some way to see if you were going to be a team player or not? No snow yet, but it's not very far away. I heard that in the mountain areas farther north might see some Sat.

judi, have fun on your trip. It seems like a good way to keep some distance from your D for a while.

ledom, glad you like Tuscan Sun. DH doesn't like "chick-flicks", so I usually go to the movies with a friend. I think the way you are feeling is due to the change of seasons. I find once the temps start getting cooler I have the urge to burrow down. I also seem to want to exercise more because the air is so invigorating and it feels so nice coming into a warm house after being out in the chilly air.

ledom
10-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Just a quick Monday morning hello. How was everyone's weekend. Mine was nice. It is summer again here, only the leaves are turning. It was so beautiful yesterday that I had to get out in the kayak. Had a wonderful time. Read a new diet book over the weekend that has me revved up again. I have written out some new goals and will start documenting diet and scale weight again this week. Working out too.

Take care and have a good week.

aleka
10-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Good morning...

We had frost for a couple of mornings. Farther from the lake the frost is worse. It has warmed up, it's about 20 deg. warmer this morning that it was yesterday morning.

Glad that you're revved up again about a new diet, ledom. Which diet book did you read? I think one gets bored doing the same eating plan for a long period of time. It makes it interesting trying new eating plans. Good luck with your new plan and keep us posted on how everything is going.

Have a good week.

ledom
10-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Hey Alice, It's good to hear from you. Frost - wow! Like I said, it decided to be summer here again. It was 88 yesterday, lows are in the 50's. It is beautiful though. The bright sun on the brilliantly colored trees made it really hard for me to go to work yesterday. I wanted to play instead.

The book is Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. Here is his website http://fitren.com/

Many things to do on this busy day so I need to get moving. Hope you have a great day Alice.

aleka
10-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Good morning,

We had some snow overnight. Last night they said we were to get 1"-3", but there is barely a dusting. I heard this morning that some towns farther north had their plows out this morning. We were very lucky.

I may or may not be around tomorrow to post so I wanted to pop in to wish you all a great weekend.

How is the new diet & exercise program coming along, ledom?

Cheryl, how are things going at work? Did your problem with your boss work itself out?

judi, hope you're having a grand time on your trip.

Have a good day.

ledom
10-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Hey Miss Alice! Snow! Oh my goodness. If we could take our 2 climates and have a happy a medium! It's hot here. Another day of near 90 today and then we are supposed to have a drastic cool down. We need rain very badly and that is predicted as well.

Yes! I am having a great diet and exercise week. I have been forcing myself to exercise because I have a bad case of don't want tos. BUT, the scale is responding and I am being very good. I have recently written out some goals. A 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, and 1 year goal and that is exciting to think about for the moment. I am also graphing my weight again which seems to help.

Hope all is well with everyone. Cheryl let us know how things are going. Judi, check in when you can.

ledom
10-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey girls, I just want to share this article with you. This is the new author I have been reading and he makes SO MUCH SENSE.

Article by Tom Venuto a personal trainer and author for the fitness industry.

(1) LOSE FAT SLOWLY. Here’s where most of the problems begin: Most people have no patience. How many times have you been told to lose no more than two pounds per week? How many times have you ignored that advice? All the time, right? The American College of Sports Medicine told you this, your trainer told you this, your dietician told you this, your doctor told you this, etc. Almost everyone agrees: 2.0 pounds per week is usually the maximum rate for safe, permanent weight (fat) loss. But few people want to listen – they’re ecstatic when the scale registers a 5 or 7 pound weekly loss.

I advise my clients to lose 1-2 lbs per week. Naturally, most go for the two pounds (and often ask if three is okay). Personally, I go for one pound per week before competitions. If I lose more than one pound per week, I eat more. Losing too much weight too quickly always causes muscle loss, which in turn causes metabolic slowdown.

Don’t ever confuse weight loss with fat loss. You can lose weight quickly, but you can’t lose fat quickly. If you think you can outwit Mother Nature and you’re dead set on losing 4, 5, 10 pounds a week, you’re going to lose fat in the beginning, but not all of it – you will plateau before the last “fat pockets” are gone. Set your goal to lose one or two pounds per week, but also set your goal to lose this fat weight consistently every week. When there aren‘t any plateaus, this really adds up over time.

2) REFEED REGULARLY– DON’T STAY ON LOW CALORIES ALL THE TIME. I guarantee you are going to hear a LOT more about the refeeding concept in the near future. It’s not it’s not a new idea, however. Fred “Dr. Squat” Hatfield was writing about this in the late 1980’s! He called it “Zig Zag” Dieting.

“Carbing up”, “Cyclical Dieting,” “zig-zag” dieting, “re-feeding”, call it whatever you want; to me, it’s so obvious that increasing calories for a short periods while you’re dieting is the best way to avoid metabolic downgrade, that I can’t see how anyone would dispute it. But of course, die hard academics often demand concrete undisputable scientific evidence before anything is deemed true.

I would suggest you don’t wait for such “evidence” and you begin using this technique immediately! All you really need to understand is this basic principle: If staying on very low calories for a long time is what causes your metabolism to slow down… and if the metabolic slowdown is the reason you have a difficult time losing that last bit of “stubborn” localized fat, then it’s only logical that the way to lose the “stubborn fat” is to avoid metabolic slowdown by not staying on low calories all the time!

The re-feeding concept can all be boiled down to this simple advice; just raise your calories every few days instead of staying on low calories all the time. This is the method smart bodybuilders use to diet all the way down to low single digit body fat and lose the last fat pocket without hitting a single plateau.

3) DIET IN “CYCLES” OR “SEASONS” USING “NUTRITIONAL PERIODIZATION” - CHRONIC DIETING IS DANGEROUS. Everyone knows someone who is ALWAYS on a strict diet. Maybe you’re one of them. As paradoxical as it seems, chronic dieting is a great way to get fatter! You see, everything in life has a certain rhythm or seasonality to it: Winter- Summer. Tide comes in – tide goes out. Sun goes up – sun goes down. To lose fat for good, you have to diet in seasons. “All sunshine makes a desert.”

In sports training, a big buzzword is “periodization.” This refers to a cyclical approach to training, so the athlete peaks at his or her best performance level on the day of an event, or maintains optimal performance for the duration of a season.

In periodization training, there is an off-season and an in-season. Training continues year-round, but the programs are quite different during these two cycles. The long major cycles are called macrocycles. Smaller weekly and monthly cycles within the larger cycles are called mesocycles. There are even tiny day-to-day variations in sets, reps, poundage, intensity, duration and tempo called microcycles.

Nutrition can be periodized too, and this is another topic I predict will become very hot in the near future. Re-feeds are like nutritional mesocycles while the annual seasons are like nutritional macrocycles.

I’ve always claimed that the bodybuilder’s method to fat loss is the superior one, and isn’t cyclical dieting exactly what bodybuilders do? Don’t they diet strictly in a deficit for a period of months, then train for muscle growth for a period of months? Doesn’t a really astute “physique artist” cycle the calorie levels throughout the year? Of course. That’s why bodybuilders who use this strategy are the supreme examples of effective permanent fat loss.

Bulk too long, you gain too much fat and get completely out of fat burning mode. Diet too long, you lose muscle and downgrade metabolism. Cycle the two every year in a seasonal fashion, whether you compete or not, and you have the perfect balance.

Three time Mr. Olympia Frank Zane continued to diet once a year after he retired, exactly as if he were still going to compete. As a personal challenge to himself, each year he continued to attempt to beat his previous best – or at least strive to be the best he could be at any given time of his life. Smart guy. And now in his 60’s, he has a body that would make men half his age green with envy.

Cycle your nutrition and your training. Diet strictly at times and relax your diet at times. Train with everything you’ve got at times, and train to maintain at other times. Don’t listen to “experts” who constantly warn of overtraining and say things like “daily cardio is catabolic and unnecessary.” Daily cardio, as part of a short term fat loss cycle, supported with the proper nutrition and weight training, is the best way in the world to lose body fat. Of course you can do cardio daily! What you can’t do is continue with a high volume of daily training all year round.

There’s no such thing as a “double winter,” so why put your body through severe dieting “weather” two seasons in a row? Diet strictly for a while, then slowly ease back for a while... eat more… relax… then go back at it even harder, pushing this time for an even higher peak. Be like the athlete trying to beat last year’s record. And continue with this approach for the rest of your life.

4) DEVELOP A LONG TERM TIME PERSPECTIVE AND SET LONG TERM GOALS. If you have a lot of fat to lose and you want to lose it permanently, you need to set up some long-term goals for your nutritional “seasons.” Otherwise, your body is going to fight back.

I know dozens of people who did phenomenally well on before and after “transformation programs,” only to quickly gain back all of the fat they lost. Do YOU want to diet for 12 weeks, look great for a week or two then slip right back where you started from, or do you want to get lean and stay lean?

Here’s the reason so many people gain weight back: They only had a 12-week goal... Short-term time perspective... No long-term goals... Failure to develop goal setting as a lifelong continuous discipline... Failure to develop nutritional and training disciplines as habits… All fatal errors.

Every season or "nutritional macrocycle", you must strive to improve on your previous best by setting new goals. Goal setting is not an event; it’s a never-ending process. Isn’t this what any world-class athlete does? Doesn’t the Olympian strive to beat his record at the last Olympics? Run faster, throw farther, jump higher? Doesn’t that require a very long-term time perspective? Can’t you apply this concept in your own training – even if its just for health, fitness and recreation? Wouldn’t this keep you motivated for years at a time instead of just doing ONE “12 week program” and then slipping backwards to square one? Couldn’t this mindset for constant and never ending improvement in a seasonal fashion keep you motivated for LIFE? Of course.

5) RE-SET YOUR SET POINT (AKA, TURN DOWN YOUR “FAT THERMOSTAT”). When I was in college, my body fat usually hovered around 15-16%. (Yes, I confess… I DID drink my share of beer in college). I lost the “beer belly,” of course, dropping my fat down to the mid single digits. However, I always seemed to slide back where I started (16% or so). It seemed like that was a natural “set point” for me…kind of like my “fat thermostat” had the dial locked in at 16%.

One day, I finally got wise and I decided to set a LONG TERM GOAL to get better every year and MAINTAIN a lower off-season body fat every year. First 14%, then 12%, then 10%, and finally, today, I don’t allow myself over 9.9% at any time. I refuse to go to double digits and I'll tighten up my diet or add cardio the second I notice myself slip.

In contest season, I decided that 6-7% wasn’t lean enough, and I strived to beat that, which I did, hitting 6%, 5%, 4% and eventually as low as 3.4%.

Basically, I raised my standards of what was body fat level was acceptable to me during the off season and for competitions. I vowed to improve both.

I disciplined myself and stopped "bulking up." After I made this commitment, then each year it got easier to lose the fat because I wasn’t putting myself under prolonged periods of dieting stress to get there; I was already close, and starting closer every year because what I had done - unbeknownst to me at the time - was re-set my set point.

I’m sure you’ve heard of the “set point” theory before. This is the genetically pre- determined level towards which your body fat tends to naturally gravitate. The good news is, you can lower your set point through nutritional discipline, increasing your lean body mass, dieting in seasons/cycles, setting long term goals, and raising your standards in terms of how much body fat you are willing to carry.

A lowered set point won’t happen over night. It doesn’t happen by the day or week, it happens by the month and year, and is achieved by setting higher standards for how lean you’re willing to stay for prolonged periods of time.

6) WATCH YOUR INTERNAL DIALOGUE: YOU BECOME YOUR “I AM’S”. If you want to lose body fat, then why would you walk around all day long saying over and over again, “I cant, I cant, I cant, I can’t lose this stubborn fat?” Why say, “I’m fat?” Why affirm the negative? Why would you do that to yourself? Over and over the tape plays in your head… programming your subconscious… building your belief systems… forging your paradigms… directing your behavior… creating your own reality.

Why not visualize your ideal and affirm the positive?: “I am getting leaner and leaner every day!” Do not dwell on your present condition. Dwell on your future vision. Refuse to use the term “stubborn fat” again. Never say, “I can’t lose this fat.” Do not
look at localized fat as any different than other fat on your body. Understand that it was the first place on, and will be the last place to come off – but it WILL come off – IF you do it the right way.

CONCLUSION

Usually articles on “stubborn fat” discuss “breakthroughs” in transdermal delivery systems, adrenergic agonists, alpha-2 receptors and lots of other scientific stuff. I’ve read papers on this subject that were so scientific, you'd need a medical dictionary to
translate them. The so-called experts list dozens of references and write overly technical articles for an audience they know damn well has only a seventh grade reading level and couldn’t give a whiff about anything except seeing their abs. However, they do it anyways to make themselves look like almighty, all-knowing “gurus” and to sell worthless products. The reality is, these really aren’t even articles – they're advertisements for “spot reducing” gimmicks

Listen; there is nothing complicated or overly scientific about the process of fat loss – even the last 10 pounds. Sure, there are proven products such as thermogenic supplements, but they don't work miracles, nor are they spot reducers. There’s no such thing as spot reduction. There’s no such thing as stubborn fat – it only appears
that way for lack of understanding about the way the human body and mind work.

To lose fat steadily without plateaus - right down to the very last fat cell - all you have to do is work with your body’s inherent nature, not against it. It may not be easy, but it’s simple and 100% predictable. Embrace the challenge, expect success, use what you've just learned, and in the long run, you’ll agree that the rewards were well worth the effort.

LaDean
10-25-2003, 08:21 PM
this is a very good article. thanks for sharing it. i enjoyed it and makes alot of sense. getting started on some of the ideas now.. good article.. LaDean

aleka
10-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Good morning,

That was a very good article you posted, ledom. Thank you for sharing it with us. The first one, about losing fat slowly, was like he was speaking to me personally. I never realized that you can lose muscle if you lose weight too quickly. I think I will try to be more patient in the future. What he mentions about zig-zag dieting also makes a lot of sense, because your body can get used to a "set" amount of calories. That has happened to me.
Are you enjoying his book? That's great you have set some goals. I know you will succeed. At this point, I just can't get really gung-ho about an eating plan. I am just trying to consume fewer calories. I have set a goal with exercising though.
Our snow is all gone. We raked leaves on Sat. and I got the garden squared away for winter. I could hardly move on Sun. from all the raking and bending over. But, it's better today.

LaDean, a BIG WELCOME :balloons: How is Tuffy doing?

judi, Cheryl, hope everything is going well with the both of you. Hope you'll pop in sometime.

Have a good one!

LaDean
10-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi aleka, we are fine for last few days tuffy has been real playful like his old self. so we are thrilled about that. could be cooler weather to.. I lost 1.25 last week, i was so happy. had been gains for last 3 weeks, just tiny ones but gains. so maybe i am finally with the downward streak now. hope so. trying hard. glad your ok. sounds like a fun time and all. have a good day to all. LaDean

ledom
10-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey LaDean, nice to meet you. I am glad you liked the article, both of you. The book is just more of the same good information. He spells it out really nicely.

We finally got some cool weather Alice. No snow, but more seasonable though they say we are going to have one more warm up at the end of the week. I had a friend who went SWIMMING last week.

I am home today, we are getting a little break, and I am waiting for the heat and air man to come make my heater work.

Congrats on your weight loss LaDean. Sounds like a productive weekend Alice.

judi
10-27-2003, 12:25 PM
I am glad to be back!

Ledom, thanks for that info. I am going to print it off.

I haven't been dieting but haven't really been pigging out either. I have to seriously think about what I want to do.

I won't make my goal:( of under 200 before 2004 but I am down 12 lbs from last year at this time so I will not let myself grieve too much. I'd like to get back in the saddle but first I have to find the horse!

Had a nice trip, saw lots of beautiful leaves in Oregon, where we were in Ca. was about 80 degrees so it was nice and we missed a record rain for BC by being gone:D Now it is cloudy but dry.

How are all the pets doing?

ledom
10-28-2003, 11:05 PM
judi, I didn't expect you home so soon, I'm glad you're back. Glad you had a good time.

Yes, being down 12 lbs. from last year is indeed something to be happy about.

I had an interesting revelation this weekend. D and I were looking through some photos taken about 12 years ago. I have lost about 60 lbs. since then. I am not even sure when I did it because it has been so slow and gradual. Anyway, it was something to see that photo and know without a doubt that I look slimmer now.

judi
10-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Ledom, that is SO AMAZING!!!! That is so encouraging to hear!!

Nice fall day here. Nothing much new.

ledom
10-29-2003, 12:21 AM
It is amazing judi, even though I have never forgotten my highest weight - until I looked at that picture it just wasn't tangible to me. 12 years, 60 lbs., that averages out to 5 lbs. a year. That isn't exactly how it came off, but to tell you the truth I am not sure how it did. I know I have lost about 25 this year. I don't want to take 12 years to lose the next 60 but I am at least glad that I have lost it no matter how slow it has been.

aleka
10-29-2003, 06:32 AM
Having another bout of heavy rain today. Wish we could send some of it to CA.

ledom, 60 pounds!!!! That is so fantastic!! It must have made you feel good when you and your D realized that. Losing it slow is the best way to do it.

judi, welcome back. Glad you had a good time. I thought you were going to be gone longer too. Were you anywhere near the fires in CA? Losing 12 lbs. this year is a great accomplishment.

Have a good day!

LaDean
10-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Ledom, nice to meet you to. have a good day to all. LaDean

judi
10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Ledom, I think the way you lost weight is the very best of all and don't forget you built up your muscles at that time too so in reality you probably lost even more fat. That is just so encouraging to hear.

I don't know what to do MT, South Beach, WW etc.

Hi Alice! We were about an hour away from LA and had started home before the fires really began. The weather was so gorgeous where we were.

Bentley got his eye scratched by the cat (they were playing) and my D is taking him for eye surgery today:( I found out this thru my DH, she STILL isn't talking to me. It is her birthday today and I made her a card and sent it.

Hi La Dean!

aleka
10-29-2003, 12:28 PM
judi,
Oh, poor Bentley. Hope everything turns out ok with his eye surgery. You have to be ever so careful with their eyes because of how they protrude out. We had cats when we had our other Bostons, but they were indoor cats and they were declawed. Miz Lacee has lucked out because DH is allergic to cats and she's an only "child". Let us know how he's doing. Sorry that your D is still not talking to you. Maybe the birthday card will make her think a little bit.

Hi LaDean! :wave:

LaDean
10-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Aleka, hi how you doing. ok here.
Hi Judi.... have a good day all. LaDean

aleka
11-03-2003, 07:31 AM
Hope you all had a good weekend. We had a lot of excitement in the wee hrs. of Sunday morning. Around 2:00 am her nibs wanted to go outside. When we woke we discovered that our power was out. DH went out with Lacee armed with a flashlight. He could see all kinds of flashing lights through the trees near the end of our road. Then one of our cruisers came down our road and went back out, then a few minutes later another cruiser, not one of our's, maybe a State Trooper or a cop from a neighboring town, came down our street. You could tell they were looking for someone. Our power came back on around 5:00 am. To make a long story short, a drunk driver somehow took out a telephone pole, knocked down a whole bunch of wires, left his vehicle, and ran off. We have 2 roads that lead into the development where I live that form a loop, and one of the roads was completely blocked off yesterday. The power co. was there for over 12 hrs. trying to get the wires back up, then the cable & telephone repairmen had to come in and put their wires back up. We were talking with our neighbor last night and he heard that whatever happend, he also destroyed part of the road and we heard a paving crew out there well into the night. Luckily nobody was hurt or killed. They caught the guy and I would say he is in deep doo-doo. DH & I are planning on taking a walk later today to see what is what.

LaDean, how are you doing? Lacee & I are doing ok.

judi, how did Bentley make out with his surgery? Hope everything went alright. Have you decided what plan you'd like to do? I keep jumping between WW and Somersizing, but can't make up my mind which one I want to do. I have looked into Atkins, but I'm not sure if I could do induction. It would be something like SB diet and I couldn't handle that.

ledom, how are things going with you? Is it still warm where you are? We've had some unseasonable temps. Sat. it was in the 70's. But, it's starting to cool down a bit and we're supposed to have more normal temps by mid-week. Back to reality.

Take care and have a great day!

judi
11-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Alice, that is a lot of excitement!

We were off and on without power because of a big wind storm here and it was only in the morning we remembered we had the RV...DUH...so we went down there, had showers, cooked and hung out until the power came on.

DH is going to Ca at the end of the week, I am staying home.

I bought stuff for making Christmas cake, I might do that this weekend.

Bentley and his eye are doing fine, the cat had its nails clipped (not declawed) and has soft false cat fingernails on.

I have thought about Atkin's too but I dunno!! I think I am not in a dieting mode right now.

Hi Ledom and LaDean!

ledom
11-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Good morning guys, I am in a diet slump at the moment as well. It just came out of no where and bit me hard this past week. Yesterday I was a bit better. More than a diet slump I am in an exercise slump. I am not giving up, just resting I guess.

Yes, Alice. it has been in the 80's for the last 2 weeks w/ a 90 here and there. It is getting to me, I can't wait for cooler weather. We should have a bit of a cool down by the weekend.

Ah yes, the holidays, they are just around the corner aren't they. I am ready to have D home for the holidays, she has become a stranger around here. Her play opens Nov. 20 and she is working very hard on that now.

judi, glad you won't be leaving us this week.

4myloves
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
I've been very seriously considering Atkins, too...

The move went well. I'm waiting on power now. Maybe tomorrow. Luckily, a coworker has been letting me stay with her--she's great!

Welcome Ladean!

Hey Alice, Ledom & Judi

Cheryl

judi
11-04-2003, 02:42 PM
I wrote a big long post ... an epistle really and deleted it by mistake and now I am exhausted...but my BIG news I decided on something. I joined WW online.

Will write more tomorrow:p

LaDean
11-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi all. Aleka tuffy and i are fine. glad you and lacee are. glad everyones doing good. I started the atkins this week. its so like the sbd so not much difference. i change often that way stick to something. lol it helps me.. do not get bored with one.. Just rode ex bike 6 miles and scales are dowwwwwnnnnn yehhhhhh i love that .. good luck to all. LaDean

aleka
11-05-2003, 07:52 AM
We have had a lot of rain since Saturday. The ground is saturated. We had unseasonable temps, but it's back to reality now. After it stopped raining yesterday afternoon, DH & I went outside and put some stakes in some driveways so that when DH & our neighbor plow snow they know where the culverts are. It was very raw and my hands were so cold that they actually hurt. Once I got inside they warmed up quickly.

CBS has pulled that series, Brotherhood of Poland, NH that was filmed in the next town from us. When they aired the first episode they did not show the pilot that was filmed exclusively in Plymouth. They showed the first episode that was filmed in Hollywood and only showed a few scenes from the downtown area. The series was just starting to grow on DH & I when CBS cancelled it.

LaDean, congratulations on your weight loss!!! 6 miles on your exercise bike is fantastic! Are you still going to TOPS? Keep up the good work. Glad Tuffy is doing fine. Lacee says "WOOF".

judi, that's good news about you joining WW online. How does that work? Do they send all the material to your home, or do you read it online and print it out? I am still on the fence about what to do. One day I think, WW, and the next day either Somersizing or Atkins. HMMMM, I wish I could make up my mind.:?: They all have their good points...and that's the problem. Sometimes I wish there wasn't so much information out there. So glad that Bentley made out well with his surgery. Is he wearing one of those "funnel collars"? (I don't know the exact name for them).

Cheryl, it's great hearing from you. Glad the move went well. How is your new job going? Hope you get your power soon. Sometimes they can be rather slow.

ledom, are you still in a diet slump? We had fairly warm temps here too last week, it was in the 70's, which is about 20 deg. above normal for this time of year. Has it cooled of where you are yet? Is your D excited that her play will be opening up in a couple of weeks? How long is it supposed to run?

Enjoy your day!!

ledom
11-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Ah judi, sorry we missed your epistle! Don't you hate that?

I have my food back under control but not exercise.

Alice, I DID see "Brotherhood", one episode. I didn't make the connection but I kept wondering why it sounded so familiar. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I didn't think it was bad at all. I held my interest. Too bad the canceled it.

Cheryl, great to hear from you. Glad you have made a friend.

Hi LaDean.

Well, not much news here. I slept late so I need to get moving.

judi
11-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Alice, with WW on line you print out the stuff if you want or just do it on the computer. It is good because it has a lot sections and places to chart things, calculating aids etc.

I had a good day one and even did treadmilling.

My weigh in day is Monday, it will be good discipline for me to weigh once a week.

No, they didn't fit Bentley with one of those collars.

Ledom, I am going to try to break thru 200 by mid summer...don't give up on me.

Enjoy Atkins LaDean. They have a lot of "to bake" muffin etc. products. I have bought some just have not tried them yet.

It is cold here, but the cat sits behind the computer on my desk and insists I open the window for him so he can see out. Brrr! He is an inside cat and goes out sometimes on a leash but he is totally fascinated with outside. He would be quite a hunter too I think, the only thing available for him to hunt are bugs and spiders in the house and this year we have had the most bug free house ever. OK, kitty let's close the window...it feels like it could snow.

I think I will make Christmas cake this weekend.

Have a good day everyone!

4myloves
11-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Ooooohhhh, y'all make me so jealous speaking of SNOW!!!

Still warm here---maybe one of these days...

Cheryl

aleka
11-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Cheryl, I really like to see the first snowfall and I am disappointed if we don't have a white Christmas. But, come January I'm yelling, Enuf already!!!! So, come Januray, I will gladly trade places with you.;) :lol:

judi, good luck with WW. How do you like the new flex point plan? My MIL lost about 15 lbs. on WW over the spring/summer and she gave me this soup recipe that is sooo easy and it's delicious, if you like a tomato type soup. DH & I could live on this soup.

1 can of Progresso fat free Minestrone-authentic classic Soup
(or any brand fat free Minestrone soup)
1 can diced tomatoes, juice and all
(I buy the kind that have spices already mixed in)
1 sm. can lima beans, drained
(or your choice of veg. in a small can)
1 cup tomato juice (add more if you want it thinner)
2/3 (appx.) of a large can of either corn or hominy

Put everything in a pot, add whatever seasonings you want, and heat it through.
I don't know the point value, but she gave herself 1 point for each cup of soup, and 2 points if she used the regular Minestrone soup.

When I went to buy the ingredients for the last batch of soup I made, I had picked up a can of stewed tomatoes by mistake, but made it anyway. I just cut up the tomatoes, put them in the pot, and it was delicious. Hope you enjoy it.

ledom, there have been a lot of mixed feelings about The Brotherhood. Some didn't like the way they portrayed NH people. Every week in the local paper there was some sort of comment about the show. Glad you have your food under control. I've been good so far with my eating this week. Exercise? Well, that's another matter.:o

Hi LaDean!

Have a good day everyone.

judi
11-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Alice, I will def. make that soup, it looks delish and fast! It is really soup weather now.

Well, I am doing "day 3". My point range is 30 points and that is a lot of food so I am satisfied, certainly more than SB and MT. I had to jump on the scale to SEE and I am down 3 lbs. (water, I know..but I will take a "down" anyway!) I also have that 35 flex points and then whatever exerecise points I earn. Even housework and ironing has exerecise point value. I think I DO like this new plan better than the point range, which I like too.

I am feeling so Christmasy this year (remember last year where I didn't feel like it at all). We have been on this thread a long time:) A couple of years now anyway.

Hope you all are having a great day. Thanks again for the recipe Alice!!

ledom
11-06-2003, 06:47 PM
judi- We have been at this a long time. Glad you are looking forward to the holiday. I am as well. D is coming home this weekend and requested spaghetti and garlic bread. This reflects the change in temps that finally got to us. Finally some rain and cool weather. It feels great, I hate sweating in November!

Guys, I got the cutest haircut this morning. Kind of trendy looking and it works on me. A little longer on top and then that layered, flippy bottom. I love it. I just hope I can recreate it on my own. Everyone is doing a double take when they see me today, I was overdue a haircut I guess.

judi, glad to hear you are so excited about your new plan. It kind of reignites my enthusiasm. I was so pleasantly surprised this a.m. when I weighed. I was the same as I was this time last week which is a minor miracle considering the 4 day binge I had last weekend. I don't know what got into me. I only finally dared get back on the scale today. The weight I have lost this semester seems to really be gone, no matter how determined I sometimes seem to be on sabatoging myself. Anyway, like I said, I am starting to feel the fire again. I am thinking in terms of how much I'd enjoy losing just 5 more lbs.

Hey alice, no one hates the way they are portrayed in pop culture more than Arkansans, that hillbilly, barefoot and pregnant stereotype. We are actually pretty cool people. I didn't watch enough of that show to get a negative feeling, it seemed pretty typical, people on both sides of the issues, the episode I watched anyway.

Cheryl, I bet you are noticing a big difference in weather between Jonesboro and Magnolia!

Take care all.

aleka
11-07-2003, 07:35 AM
We actually saw the sun for about 5 seconds yesterday morning!:sunny: It was cloudy and raw, which is typical for Nov. It's supposed to start getting colder by the weekend.

Sunday DH & I are driving down to visit my cousin, the one who vacations up here. He'll drop me off and go do his thing, then she & I will go shopping. I told him we better bring his truck instead of my car. :s:

ledom, that's good news about your weighing the same. That is just as important as losing. Glad that you like your new "do". It must be very uplifting to see people do a double take. Wish we were closer so I could see it. It sounds adorable. I hear ya about how certain areas can be portrayed on TV. The people in Plymouth felt like they were portraying NH people as overweight and over s#xed.

judi, congratulations on you 3 lb. loss!:cheers: Glad that you are so excited about WW. When I went to WW I never figured in my exercise points, only because it was easier for me not to. I do like the concept of the 35 flex points though. Yes, we have been together for a very long time. A lot of people have come and gone but we've sort of stuck.

Cheryl, did you get your power hooked up yet? How is the new job coming along? Glad that you made a friend at work. Check in when you can.

LaDean, how are you doing with the Atkins diet?

Take care and have a good weekend.

4myloves
11-07-2003, 10:20 AM
The end of another week! Yea!

Alice--I'm taking all next week off to complete (I hope) my move. I finally got lights yesterday--but was too dumb to figure out that I needed to flip a breaker OUTSIDE to make them work. Duh. Thank you for asking! :)

Ledom--the cool front didn't hit Magnolia until around 10:30 yesterday morning. My mom had been telling me about it since the night before!! Apparently it was moving pretty slowly! I wore a sweater to work today--feels great!!!!

Hey Judi!

judi
11-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Ledom, Your new hairdo sounds great!:cool: I know when I got my hair cut and streaked it made me feel like a new woman. I still like it.

I hope everyone is getting the weather they want, it is bright and sunny here but it smells like snow.

Have fun shopping Alice. Are you looking for clothes, Christmas gifts or anything special? I feel like going on a big shopping binge but I am seriously trying to give up credit card spending (I have never known any other way) so I have been practising a bit of restraint. (Though I did have a lapse and bought a fancy black silk Ralph Lauren blouse with the tiniest buttons...something to wear around the Christmas season.)

I am not very clear on the WW exercise points either. Can they be saved for the week or do they have to be used on the day they are earned? Does anyone know???:?:

Hi Cheryl and La Dean!!

LaDean
11-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Aleka, i got off it alittle with the candy... so was only down 1 1/2 so not much. the other gal was down almost 6. so i may go on it this week again. then i am going to start the food groups i think. i am so undecided right now. i am searching for something for me. i am going to take them all i think and figure out my plan... i like variety though. so do not stick to just one. really they are all about the same.. ha glad everyone is doing good. i rode ex bike 5 miles today. so i got exercise down pat. i love it. going for another loss so had a good day.. good luck to all. have a good week. LaDean

aleka
11-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Vetrans Day...

It has gotten very chilly here. The past few days it's only been in the 30's and 40's. Needless to say I'm back wearing a winter jacket. It seems like 2 days ago that I stopped wearing it.

Had a great time with my cousin on Sunday. DH drove me because she moved to a new town and I had never been there before. It's too stressful for me driving in unchartered territory. Now that I know how to get there I can go myself.

LaDean, losing 1 1/2 lb. is great news especially with the candy. :cp: You're doing great on your bike.

judi, how was your first week with WW? I'm not clear on the WW exercise points myself. But, I think I've read somewhere on the WW board that you can use the points that day. Maybe if you asked that question on the WW board someone could answer it for you. I am mostly shopping for Christmas gifts. But, if I see something that I would like to have for myself I buy it. :s: We went into a craft store and I bought Lacee an Irish knit cable sweater. I don't even have one, but I bought one for the dog. Is she spoiled or what???

Cheryl, glad that your power has been hooked up. That's good you're taking a week off to move in. Have fun.

ledom, how did your weekend go with your D? How was the spaghetti & garlic bread?

Have a wonderful Vetrans Day and Rememberance Day.

LaDean
11-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Aleka, you have a nice veterans day also and everyone to.. I am having a gaining week so far. made some stew and i seem to gain eating it. do not know why its all vegies i eat... oh well i am going to eat.. Just trying and that is all now. i go from one plan to another and never seem to work. so its just plain back to my regular eating and smaller portions and calories. this worked for me last summer. so have to stick to that and my exercise. tired now of doing so many even though i like variety... glad you ahd fun shopping aleka and got lacee a sweater. now she can stay warm. tuffy says woof hes doing fine.. to warm still for a sweater here. he has never had one. do not think he would like it.. have a good day to all. LaDean

judi
11-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Alice, I had to smile...a new sweater for Lacee and none for you! Now who is in love ith their dog??? Yes, she is spoiled! Very!! Well, good for her...I bet she looks tres chic in it.

I am happy this morning! The gardener came yesterday and put my whole yard to bed for the winter, cut down all the spent flowers etc. Now I just have to get into the little fenced garden and do the same:D I don't mind fall and spring gardening, I hate working in the garden in the summer in the heat. Also I had my house cleaned yesterday!!

Well, I was watching on tv this morning they are trying to get obesity declared a disease. That would be good I think. More people could get help.

I found out about the WW exerercise points...they have to be used on the same day.

Good for you LaDean, all that bike riding! You are an inspiration.

How are things going Ledom?

I put a Christmasy type table cloth on the dining room table...come on Dec. 25!!! We have had our turkey day already.

On Sat. there was a nude Peta protest outside of the Bay for selling furs. The Bay still sells furs here...grrrr!!! Most west Coast women don't wear fur anymore but a lot of the foreign women do...so I think they are catering to them. It was cute young things in the nude and people my age had clothes on and were holding signs. Sat. was a darn cold day too!!!

That is all the news in this corner of the world:D !

aleka
11-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi all!

We had some sleet and snow yesterday afternoon, which turned to all snow. We only got a dusting, but the ground is white. It's supposed to get near 50 deg. today. So, hopefully it will all melt.

judi, we did all our yard work a few weeks ago. My little flower garden has been put to bed. :( You really are in the Christmasy spirit..good for you! We still have our turkey day to go through. Some of our stores have been either all decked out or in the process right after Labor Day. I'm surprised they waited so long.:D We have had some dead seals washed ashore along our seacoast and in a neighboring state. There is someone or some people poaching them, but won't go into detail...if you catch my drift. :censored: That makes me soooo angry.

LaDean, sorry about your weight gain, you're probably retaining a little water. You'll have lost it by the end of the week. If you weigh yourself daily, you'll notice a weight change just about everytime. So, don't get discouraged.

ledom, whatcha been up to?

Cheryl, hope things are progressing nicely for you with your new digs.

Have a good day everyone.

ledom
11-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey girls, thanks for checking on me. I'm fine, at a bit of a low ebb now w/ diet and exercise still. I am trying to get right with it though.

D's play opens on the 20th. She is working really hard on it, I'm in awe. I can't wait to see it.

You girls sound good. Maybe at Thanksgiving break I'll be able to catch my breath and be more sociable.

LaDean
11-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Aleka, Hi. yes i weigh daily so live with this up and downs. but i just wish i could get with a losing plan. i am so tired of changing so much now. so i think its back to the old counting calories watching portions and exercise. this seems to work best for me. i do want it fast so always get off on one of these fad ones. then when i change the first week its sky high weight. so this is my plan now i think. it can be a life time one. i got to thinking changing so much not giving one a chance. lol i am glad all is good with you. snow sounds pretty but i would not want it.. i will settle for our rain..

Ledom, judi and cheryl we can and we will find our plans and then it will work.. coming and sharing here helps me so much...
i wish all a good day... LaDean

judi
11-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Alice, that is awful about the seals...that makes me mad too!

Christmas things were out in some stores before Halloween...now, that is a bit to early. I did some Christmas shopping yesterday. I don't plan to spend a lot of money. Mostly I will buy for people who do things for me...hairdresser, house cleaner, etc. Family is at the stage now where everyone is trying to scale down on the "things" and live more simply.

WW is a good plan but I have to be more motivated. I need a good kick in the:censored: :rollpin: I am enjoying the online thing as I was never one for meetings.

Did Lacee get a chance to wear her sweater yet?

Best wishes to your D. Ledom!

Hi LaDean and Cheryl!

judi
11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi all!

I made Christmas cake yesterday. Every year I try a new recipie. I am on the trail of finding the perfect recipie to match the cake that I remember from my youth...very dark and moist. So far I haven't found it. I tried a piece of my cake and it is good but not dark enough or moist enough. I used to think it was my mom's recipie that I was remembering but her last Christmas cakes didn't measure up to it either...probably the cake is a figment of my imagination, it gets better each year that passes. Do you girls like Christmas cake??? I know some people don't.

I am having a garden consultant come on Dec. 10 to "make over" my enclosed garden, so say a prayer that it doesn't freeze by then so she can do it. My garden has gone to rack and ruin thru my neglect of it this summer and she will organize and clean out the plants, prune etc. so I have something to start with that is decent in the spring. I am excited about it.

What is everyone up to today?

aleka
11-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi,

We are gearing up for a storm. We had an awful lot of rain this morning. The rain has gone and the sun is shining for the time being. We are supposed to start getting 40-60 mph wind later this afternoon into Sat. morning, the wind is starting to pick up now, ontop of that we're to have snow showers with possibly some accumulation, especially up north in the mountains. It looks like it's going to be a nasty couple of days. Hopefully our power will stay on.

judi, is Christmas Cake on the same idea as Fruit Cake? Hope you find the perfect recipe. I have cut down on my Christmas shopping too. I only give gifts to a few friends and relatives, those that I am close to and do things with throughout the year. What does a garden consultant do? Do they suggest what type of flowers to plant, where to plant them? That sort of thing?

Hi ledom, Cheryl, LaDean, hope you're having a good day.

Enjoy the afternoon.

ledom
11-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Hey girls, that weather sound horrendous Alice. Hang tight. This morning I heard on the news that L.A. got 18 inches of hail. Now that sounds destructive and actually unbelievable!

All is well here. I did my weights this a.m. Decided my break had lasted long enough. I was starting to see myself headed for disaster w/ the holiday coming up. I am trying to rein myself in so I want head into the new year with regrets.

I like fruitcake Judi, just was wondering along w/ Alice if it is the same as christmas cake. I have never made it, I am sure it is a big production and take a while to do. A couple years ago I made a 12 layer cake from a Martha Stewart magazine and it took nigh on a whole day. And boy was that stuff fattening, had at least a lb. of butter in it. But very yummy and impressive to look at if I do say so. I won't be repeating that recipe by the way.

LaDean, I think the secret is to find what you are going to do and stick with it. I was hearing a comparison of all the different diets on NPR this week. This guy thought they all worked about the same, the determining factor is how well you follow it. Certainly a message for ME in there.

Cheryl, did you get moved in?

judi
11-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Yes, it is the same thing. It wasn't too big a deal, it only took awhile to mix it up. It was a small batch 2 tube pans and 1 loaf.

The garden consultant is going to prune and move around the plants in a pleasing fashion, clean up plant debris, keep some of the plants, get rid of some of the plants and suggest some for over winter...like winter pansies, ornamental kale and the like.:cool:

A piece of fruitcake is 3 points!:p

The weather here is very sunny but we have some wind warnings. You have been having real weather swings where you are Alice?!

A 12 layer cake, now that is an accomplishment, Ledom...so Martha! I have never ventured higher than 3 layers.

I was reading the same thing about the diets...the key is staying on them. I am just going to plod away at WW. It will be slow but if I stick at it it will be steady. I can't go without food groups very long without sucumbing to temptation...like MT was no bread (not even WW) for the first while and SB was no fruit for a few weeks. I HAVE to have blueberries almost everyday and same with oranges. I think WW is the best for me.

LaDean
11-14-2003, 12:45 AM
ledom, my feelings to. they are all alike in one way or another. so i have decided to just do the normal and that is count calories. watch fats , drink water and exercise. so this is my plan for life this week it started. its so easy to get off on a fad diet. your doing so good. all of us can and we will do it..
to all hope it was a good day. LaDean

aleka
11-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone!

We are still having strong gusty winds. That is to continue until Sat. morning. The rain/snow is supposedly over with, and thankfully the landscape isn't white. Hopefully our power will remain on. :crossed:

Three weeks from tomorrow my cousin & I will be heading to NYC with a tour group from my bank. In yesterday's mail our luggage tags came, along with some basic info. as to what time we'll be departing, where we're going to stay, telephone nos., etc..etc..etc. I am so excited. We're seeing our first Broadway Show, Mama Mia and of course the Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall. DH is staying home with Lacee, so it will be just us girls.

I think I saw that same article re: diets. I believe the story was on one of the morning news shows also. Any diet WILL work if you stick to it. My problem is finding one that I can stick to.

judi, yes, our weather has been going from one extreme to the other. Some days it's cold, then it warms up for a few days, and so forth and so forth. I too enjoy fruitcake, but haven't had any in quite a few years. I'm glad that you are so enthused about WW. It will be slow going at times, but it's better to lose weight slowly.

ledom, WOW! A 12 layer cake! That is fantastic! I'm sure it required a lot of patience to complete. My best cake is lopsided and one layer. :lol: The weather in CA was unbelieveable. My best friend, the one I have a weekly luncheon date with, has been in CA for a couple of weeks at a Real Estate convention, then visiting her D near Oakland. Hope she didn't get any of that nasty weather. Did you get any of this storm?

LaDean, glad that you found an eating plan that works for you and something that you can stick with. Did you get any of the weather that hit CA?

Take care and have a great weekend.

LaDean
11-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Aleka,no we are having warmer weather and some rain is all. was nice couple days and rain will be in tomorrow. it was nice today. we got yards all done or hubby did. and lots to. so ready for it. ha Yes it feels good to just not worry about my eating to not eat this and eat that. i was up just a hafe lb this morning. which i will take as monday it was 4 lbs up and i was so nervous. but went on that darn atlkins and then ate couple days and well that is the fad diets. so made up my mind its jsut eat less and exercise. you will find your plan to.. you do not have that much to lose. Hey NYC that is great and sounds so much fun just the gals. neat take pictures.. i know you will. glad hubby is watching lacee. we have to do that now with tuffy blind and all. but is sad as he is around me all the time and misses me so much.. if he were not blind i never worried about it so.... have a good weekend. and to all here have a good one to.. we can and will do this together... LaDean