South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:32 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Just Chat - Thursday, October 2

It's Provincial election Day here and I can hardly stand the excitement! NOT! I've been over to open up the Fair Hall for the election workers and have also washed my kitchen floor TWICE! I think I need to get the Dog Garden paved! The Girls have a secret very muddy place behind the cedar hedge where they must be hiding bones and toys.

Harry and I are off to Ottawa for his CT Scan. Wish us luck!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:50 AM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Sending all kinds of good thoughts your way for Harry's CT scan, Ruthie! I'll miss our chat over coffee this morning, but I'll survive!

I have given up trying to keep our carpet clean. All the beasts (both 4 legged and 2 legged!) around here have done a number on it. It used to be pale beige...it isn't quite so pale anymore!

Am going to try and squeeze in a bit of sewing this morning. Not sure if it is a good idea or not...we'll see how my patience holds out. If you see a sewing machine fly past your window, you'll know it was a bust!

Very cold here this AM! 34F or for you nonfarenheit folks, 1C! It is BRRRRR no matter how you put it! I am so glad my new car has heated seats...at least my bum stays toasty!

Have a great day!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:01 AM   #3  
Imagine...

You got it sweetie :
Old 10-02-2003, 08:33 AM   #4  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

good morning gals, quite here this morning, the kids are actually giving me a minute to be on the computer. LOL It is chilly here to this morning I had to put my heat on. I am not planning much for today. I did my housework last night though it won't stay clean so I wonder why I bother.

Ruth- good luck today my dear.

Hope you all enjoy your coffee.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #5  

Ruth - It sounds like your retirement is busier than my average day!!! Good luck and best wishes for an encouraging and positive CT experience today! When will you know the results?

Sflake - congrats on the delicious Salmon! I usually am afraid to broil fish as the odors linger for a few days and my kids complain every time they pass though the door! We make all our fish dinners on the BBQ outside. It's really easy and relatively good (and I grew up HATING fish because of the smell so I can't really admit that it's yummy!)... I use Lawry's Garlic Salt on it and that's all! Lemme know if you try it. It's particularly good on swordfish steaks and beef!

Franny - If you're throwing sewing machines, you could probably add that to your minutes of exercise!!! I'll keep my eyes open for any flying by! BTW, do you get "lake effect" precipation where you live? I've been hearing a lot about it on the Weather Channel lately.

I went to a Room Mother Tea at the school yesterday and even ate an OP snack before I went ... but I couldn't resist the cookies and pastries! I feel so much like a failure with this WOE which appears to be so easy and I have simply NO WILLPOWER!!! Any suggestions???

Happy Provincial Election Day!!! I hope someone wins!
hugs!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:52 AM   #6  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Good Morning, everyone!!

I'm sorry I missed you, Ruth. Love to you and Harry as you travel to Ottawa for the CT Scan. Please know that I am sending hugs....

It's so cold around here that my DH turned on the heat for the first time last night. Usually he and I don't agree on the temperature the house should be. I go through these "hot"
flash times....and he's cold! Ever since I stopped taking my hormone "magic pill" about a year ago, my body does a number on me !!! Oh, well, what can I do??? The pill was more worrysome than the hot flashes.....get the picture?

Franny....I wish I was good at sewing like you. I am pretty crafty, but not a seamstress!! Today I'm making my sweet grandkids Halloween bags. I'm personalizing them with their names on the back...lots of little spiders, witches, and ghosts (of course the friendly kind so as not to scare them!)painted on the bag . I'll take them to Texas on the 11th when I go to visit them. I can hardly wait to spend 3 whole weeks with them!!!

Sflake......did your Salmon turn out tasty? I'm so proud of you for trying 1 new dish at a time! You will become a good cook...say it with me now "I will be a good cook."

J&L.....I grew up hating fish, also. I don't know exactly why, but I'm really trying to overcome this. We usually put ours on the grill with lots of spices, and fresh herbs from the garden. It camoflages it a little!

Littlechick.....you're so smart to do your housework at night. I'm usually so tired by then, I'm not up for doing anything!

To all my Chickie friends yet to check in.....have a wonderful day! I'm sending you a hug!
~Sharon
Old 10-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #7  
Imagine...

Hey when y'all cook fish on the BBQ do ya need anything special? like a fish pan or something? I would think it might fall through the grate or stick to it. Any tips? TIA
Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 AM   #8  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

No time for a real chat, but I wanted to at LEAST send good wishes to Ruth and Harry for a good outcome on the cat scan.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #9  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Sflake, Hi! again!

Yes, we do have this wire fish grate that we lay the fish on before we place it on the grill. Had it for a long time, but I'm sure you could find it at places that sell Grills, etc. It is made of stuff sort of like a wire screen so the fish won't fall through.

Hugs

~Sharon
Old 10-02-2003, 10:59 AM   #10  
Imagine...

Thanks sweetie gonna try to find one as the family did complain about the smoking oven at least it didn't set off the fire alarm
Old 10-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #11  

Sflake...we cook salmon and other fishy's on the grill all the time!!! As a matter of fact we had Salmon last night...(YUM) if the fish has skin on it my dh puts it directly on the grill. He doesn't turn it but, he keeps the lid on the grill alot. If the fish doesn't have skin...I wrap it in slitted foil...I usually cut the slits myself. He turns it often on the grill and again he keeps the lid of the grill down most of the time. It is wonderful!!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:09 PM   #12  
Imagine...

Hi Whimsey how ya been girl? Missed ya. Duh I didn't even think of those little foil packet thingys you can make....looks like my fish days are gonna be great Hope you're doing ok
Old 10-02-2003, 03:46 PM   #13  

Hey again! We sometimes put olive oil or spray on the skin before we put it directly on the grill. The steaks (ie: tuna and swordfish don't stick and can be flipped but the salmon and other fillets with skin don't get turned. Be sure to use a HOT grill, close the lid and keep an eye on it. Especially the fatty fishes...

I haven't tried the fish grate thing 'cuz I didn't want something else to clean!! Good luck! I'm getting hungry!
Old 10-02-2003, 04:42 PM   #14  

Hi everyone!

I've been pretty busy the few days and haven't had time to post, however I had a few quick minutes to check in on all of you!!
Nothing much new in my part of the world, (which is ususally a good thing!).

Ruth---I hope Harry's scan turns out fine. Do you get the results right away? I hope so for your sake.

Robin---don't beat yourself up about the cookies at the tea. A few now and then should be ok. Just don't go hog wild! Sometimes when we feel deprived it is way too easy to go overboard and do just the opposite of what you are trying now to achieve.
This is supposed to be a way of life, so cookies (and other goodies) will work into our lives now and then.

We need a mantra we can easily say to ourselves in tough situations, that maybe will help keep us on track. Any ideas anyone???

Hope you all are having a great day.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Ruthie: By now you are probably back from Ottawa, and I hope that you have had the results of the tests. Is it time for some music and a glass of wine? I never get to drink coffee with everyone anyway.

I think Marcies suggestion of 'just three bites' is a good one. Mantra, that is. At least it has been for me, most of the time. Of course some cookies are so small that three bites takes in the whole thing. : So would that mean then that if you had three very small cookies you would only have had 3 bites?

Sflake: Another quick way to do salmon is in the microwave with a little white wine and some herbs. It is really fast.

We get a citrus airspray here called Citrus Magic, and and after fish and broccoli and cauliflower etc. it takes away most of the bad odor.

Everyone have a good day tomorrow. I'll be up and out of here very early, but will check back as usual when I get home. Lizzie
Closed Thread