Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions - Phase I: Mayo??

View Full Version : Phase I: Mayo??

ChubbyGirl71
10-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Okay, mayonnaise is NOT specifically on the list of allowed foods for the Induction Phase....but there are recipes on the Atkins site that include mayo but also are slated for Phase I. Does this mean I can have it? Do I need to count the carbs?:?:

goodforme
10-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Mayo that is full fat has low carbs. It's also considered one of the good fats, like olive oil or butter. Go figure!

DETERMINED GIRL
10-07-2003, 02:22 PM
If you are going to use Mayo, please use real mayo. Not Miracle Whip. Miracle Whip contains sugar. Regular Mayo contains no sugar and no carbs.

DG

Froufy
10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Make sure to read those labels! I have yet to find a sugar free mayonnaise...altho some are fairly low sugar. I do not count mine as 0, and do count it at 0.3 carbs per tablespoon just to be on the safe side.

Froufy

barbmarie
10-15-2003, 05:29 AM
I use Miracle Whip in my deviled eggs. I tried them with Mayo but can't stand it. Miracle Whip and Mayo both have sugar listed in their ingrediants. I do count the carbs, which I think are only 2 more than Mayo. It might be part of my stall (which finally has passed). I also still use nutrisweet Koolaide. I have been drinking more water than usual but Koolaide is my main beverage. Probably why Im losing so slowly but I am still losing. If a plan gets too strict with what I can and cant have, then I feel deprived. So far so good on this one.
Good luck losers,
Barb

rover1
10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
In the end, it doesn't make any difference how you achieve carb reduction, except in a few odd cases, but using Miracle Whip gives you less leeway. It's also a fact that some people stall on a certain food for some reason, while others don't. Best thing: make your own mayonaise, using canola--no sugar and good fat. You can 'play around' with the vinegar type and amount for strength of flavour.

supersized
10-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Rover1, do you have a recipe for the mayo?

barbmarie
01-10-2004, 02:57 AM
OK, I added a touch of Splenda to the real mayo, tastes almost like Miracle Whip. Problem solved.

Khem
01-17-2004, 04:58 PM
don't forget to add the carbs for the splenda now!
heh.

Spedmom
02-22-2004, 12:47 PM
I add a little apple cider vinegar and a packet of Splenda to regular mayor or, better yet, the new Kraft Hot 'N Spicy mayo. This makes a fabulous coleslaw dressing, salad dressing, and jazzes up regular chicken/tuna/egg salads!