Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #1  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Smile Curves #2

This Thread is for anyone wanting to join us in sharing about their "CURVES experiences" or if you are thinking about joining and have any questions.

I have really enjoyed CURVES! Loved the people and the music! And what it does for my Spirits! I began on Sept 17th, 2003 and cannot say... 'Thanks' enough times!!!

Cassandra - hope you don't mind I began another thread... the last one was getting a bit long.

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-30-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:25 PM   #2  

Angry Tuesday

Good Afternoon Ladies...

I just wanted to mention something that I went through yesterday @ Curves and forgot to mention.

I had been hurting all weekend in my neck and shoulders really bad! Terrible cramping... come to find out I was using some of the machines wrong. I went to one of the instructors & asked for her help in checking my moves on each machine. And she showed me that I had to lay my head completely down onto the backs of each bench to work out properly. Otherwise it WILL get you in the shoulders & neck instead of the "targeted areas" like the arms or abs. Just thought I would mention it to you in case someone else has this happen to them.

Now that I am doing it correctly I am not having the pain I was and feel like I got a better workout on Monday then I did all last week. Thank goodness there is always someone to ask... don't be afraid to speak up.

Hope that this note finds everyone doing well and having a Wonderful Day today!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #3  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

SunnyD, Like you I was also hurting and asked and they told me the same thing. Bev
Old 09-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #4  

Angry Hi

Hi BEV ~ Glad you asked and were helped... I wish I would have sooner. I was really in some hurtin'

Also, someone asked what we were doing on the other days that we weren't working out at Curves...

Well, I use my elliptical machine for 20 to 30 minutes on Tues & Thursday's to get in a 5 day workout. Once I hit a plateau I will increase the number of times I go to Curves from 3x a week to 4x and then when I hit a plateau again I will go to 5x and then hope by then I have reached my goal. Or just accept that I will be at that weight, but healthier
Old 09-30-2003, 05:38 PM   #5  

Hi gals!

Went to Curves this morning and switched my membership to the other Curves that actually helps you with the machines...it is so refreshing to be able to get up, go, and not have to go after your day has already passed and all you want to do is go home!!

I am really feeling energized and my attitude is so much better about everything in my life...it is really true what happens when you work out!

I am trying to get to Curves 4-5x a week...on days when I can't go, want to do a little more, or Sundays, I work out on my elliptical for 30 minutes.

Thanks for the reply on the Curves book - I think that besides the motivation, the best thing about this website is the information you get on other products, diets, etc.

Hope you are all working it hard and seeing results - I know I am!!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:56 PM   #6  
~ Berry Happy ~

Default Curves

Sunndyd57 - I know what you mean about hurting your neck on the equiptment. I too was not putting my head all the way back on some of the equiptment, but when I was doing them I could feel my neck hurting, so I instantly put my head back, and POOF! The pain was gone, and I could FEEL my muscles working the correct way. It's a shame they didn't tell me in the begginning though, it would have saved me some pain.

This morning after my workout, I didn't get to stretch. There were A LOT of ladies in there, and they were all gathered in the back doing their stretches. There definatly was not enough room for me, and I hate to be crowded, so I left. Our curves is pretty big, but they fill the entire room with equiptment, so they leave this TINY space in the back to stretch. They need to improve that. I see A LOT of women leave without stretching simply because they would have to wait to find a spot to stand! I don't think that's right. I suppose I'll have to find a certain time of the day when they are less busy.

Today I worked pretty hard at the equiptment. I notice that some of the pieces are getting easier for me to use, but as I quicken my pace, I can really feel my muscles burning and working.

I remember, when I "once" had a personal trainer, he told me that when I could "feel my muscles burning" that I was working out good. I don't know if that's rightn or not though. Maybe he was just trying to get me moving...

Oh well. I hope you ladies are all having a spectacular evening. I think it's time for me to go journal real quick.

Happy Curves!

~ Kari ~
Old 09-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #7  

Unhappy Really bummed!!!

I love Curves, too! It's the first time that I've actually enjoyed exercise! I feel great, have lost weight and inches. In October, it will be my one year anniversary ...I go 5 times a week, and that's why I'm bummed!!!

...I fell and hurt my tailbone, and can't sit (or bend very well) to do the exercises ...it hurts too bad! This just happened a couple of days ago, and I AM hurting less. Does anyone know how long it takes for a bruised tailbone to heal so that I can get back to exercising again?

Thanks! And all of you ...keep up the good work ...I hope I'll be joining you again before long.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #8  

well it has been a bad week for me because I havent been able to go work out since last thursday. I had a molar break and was in so much pain from friday till monday then had it pulled monday so still couldnt go work out today. but I am going tomorrow and will just go everyday the rest of the week to make up. The only good thing about the tooth is I lost 10#'s from Friday to today. I know its not a good way to lose but it is a start hehe. Have a good rest of the week.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:04 AM   #9  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Sorry to not have posted in so long. I have been getting my Curves in though, and the inches and pounds are still going off! Today was my weigh and measure day, and I lost another 4.25 lbs and 4 inches this last month. I figured it would have totally bottomed out long before now, but the inches keep melting away. One of the ladies I see in there a couple of times a month gave me the sweetest compliment today. She said I just looked better every time she saw me. Got to love when people start to notice!

Sunny, I'm glad you asked someone about the neck thing. I remember mentioning that to someone way back in the last thread, because I had the same problem when I started.

Our Curves owner was having stress yesterday because she had to send one of our ladies to the hospital. The woman sweats profusely, but Judy said it seemed like it was getting worse and had been suggesting to her that she have her blood pressure meds checked or something. Well, yesterday she noticed the woman's lips and fingernails were turning blue! She asked a nurse who was stretching in the back to take a look at her, and the nurse said to call the lady's husband immediately and get her to the hospital. Judy was so stressed because she didn't hear anything back and the woman's car was still in the parking lot at the end of the day.

Well, the lady called up Judy today to thank her. She had an angiogram (sp?) done and an artery was 90% blocked. She thanked Judy for saving her life.

I am so glad Judy was paying attention and cares so much for her clients. She really is the coolest woman.

I'd better get out of here now. It is late, and I've been procrastinating writing an article that is due Friday. It is my first for a magazine, and I'm so nervous about it, I can't seem to even get started!

Andria
Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 AM   #10  

Andria - WOW! That is amazing! Sounds like you are at a great Curves branch. I am so glad that I switched my membership because at my old branch if something like that had happened no one would have caught it because half the time no one was even there working in the workout room!

Just got done with my workout - got there a little late today...it was almost 7:30 and I am used to be back at my house showering then! Didn't really want to get out of bed today but I am glad that I did.

I got my measurements taken today...even though I have been back for 6 workouts now, I finally had the girl take them. I wish I would have taken them at the beginning though because I already feel thinner after just 6 workouts!

Anyways, I am getting hypnotized today. I know several people who have gone to this one doctor and lost tons of weight - there isn't a particular diet they put you on or anything - you can eat whatever you want, but you chose what you eat...supposedly it slows down your eating, portion control, and you subconciously chose healthier foods. This doctor has 100 doctors that refer their patients to him and has had several presidents flown in to be hypnotized by him. 9 out of 10 people this works on and I hope that I am one of the 9! I know that this sounds totally crazy but I have seen the results on several people...one lady has lost over 100 pounds and has kept it off for over 8 years!!

Anyways, gotta get showering and off to work - will talk to you gals later!

Happy Curving!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #11  

Unhappy

So good to see everyone!

I have some really sad news to share with you all. This will be my third funeral to go to in less then two weeks. I just got off the phone with my hubby and he told me that our x-BIL, Earl, passed away last night from his lung cancer @ 8:30pm. Earl was waiting for his daughters to make it there (they were out of town) and they were visiting with him when he passed. So very sad... none of us expected him to pass on yet - we just saw him two weeks ago at a party and he was on the upswing and feeling better. He did look so very thin though. Even though he and Anne were no longer together we all still stayed in touch and Anne was even helping caring for him while he was ill. So very sad... so sad...

I would so appreciated Prayers for the families of Earl (he was only 55 yrs old).
Thank you gang - for giving ME a place to come to & vent with all this sadness surrounding me these days you just don't know how much it helps. {{{Hugs}}}

APRIL ~ I am so glad you went back to Curves and that you are feeling so much better. I think it's great that you moved to a place that is really helping you and cares. I think it is sad that some places are not doing what they should in helping their clients. I am blessed to have a good place here too. Sue really cares for everyone there and so do the people working for her. I got allot of help when I needed it and feel so much better in my neck shoulders.

ANDRIA ~ CONGRATS (!) in your weight loss and inch loss!!! So happy for you! And that is wonderful that your instructor/owner, Judy, did something as soon as she did! WoW ... could you imagine if she hadn't... So glad it all worked out so well... goodness! Thanks for sharing!!!! Good info to look out for in others too, you know.

ROSIEE That's one heck of a way to lose 10# (!) but I am so happy for you! "CONGRATS" to you as well. And I hope that you are feeling better real soon --- and are able to get to your workouts again.

WELCOME Loosinit ~ Sorry to hear about your tailbone... I do believe a bruise like that takes a bit of time to heal - I wish you well! Congrats on you doing so well at Curves... love to hear that. Gives me allot of hope!

Oh... Good KARI ~ It realy helps to mention stuff when you go through it because you just never know who it will help out. I know that I feel so much better now that I am doing the workout correctly. Do you go home after your workouts? Maybe you could still take a moment to stretch at home if it gets too busy at Curves... it is so important to get in your stretching. I find myself doing it even through the day or watching TV at night. It has really helped me, because I get real tight muscles! Always have.

Hope that you ~ALL~ have a good rest of the afternoon and are able to get your workouts in. I got mine in this morning and will be there with wings on my feet - bright and early on Friday morning too. It's been very cold here in the mornings - burrr - 38* this morning. Just too soon! I want to enjoy our Fall! The tree's haven't even finished changing yet and our forecasters are calling for frost tomorrow morning!

God Bless!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 10-01-2003 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #12  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

SunnyD- I am so sorry you and your family. Bev
Old 10-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #13  

Unhappy

Awwweee, Thank-you BEV It is hitting me a bit harder then I thought it would... he was just so young yet and so very talented. And I don't have anyone to talk to right now either - everyone seems to be gone or not answering their cells. Oh well.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #14  

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear of your loss, Sunny. Thanks for coming to share with us.

I am feeling pretty depressed myself. I have been working on the phone banks in the evenings for the NO ON RECALL campaign in California. This whole thing is such a travesty and it is beyond incredulous to me that we could actually end up with a mediocre actor in violent action films as Governor of a state that has the sixth largest economy in the world. This guy never graduated from high school and has no experience in government. What can people be thinking to vote for this......., this.........., ##@&**# .

Don't get me started! I've missed two Curves sessions last week and haven't gone yet this week. I'm definately going today after work and try to put this mess out of my mind for a while.

Take care, all. And thanks for letting me vent.

Lynda
Old 10-01-2003, 06:00 PM   #15  

Lynda- Wow, you sound stressed! I hope that you made it to your workout - I am finding that in my stressed out life it is helping me deal with things...

SunnyD - Sorry to hear of your losses...it always seems like these things come in 3's...congrats on keeping up your workout at a difficult time - I promise that it will pay off!!

Ok - now for some news: I just got hypnotized today. It was crazy...I am really excited ... my weight is going to peel off...this dr. has been on donahue, the tonight show and has been doing this for over 25 years...he has 100 dr's who refer all their weight loss patients to him and has helped thousands of people lose weight and KEEP IT OFF! There are 8 stages of hypnosis and I was at a stage 4! (Normally you are only at a stage 1 or 2 in the beginning, so he said that I will actually lose faster than I think!) I can't weigh myself for 7 weeks though...you have to keep negative thoughts out of your head...(OK, I know that I sound like a freaky person right now, but I have seen several people lose massive amounts of weight with this guy!).

Anyways, I hope everyone had a great day! I will see you all later!
Closed Thread