Carb Counters - Weekly Chat - Sept 29th to October 5th

KarenW
09-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Grab a cup of Java, or you beverage of choice and come join us!

:balloons:

KarenW
09-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Good Morning ALL!!

I have good news to report today! Not only is it my 13th Wedding anniversary today, I am down 2 pounds from last week AND I lost another 7.5 inches over my body over the last month for a total of 17 inches GONE FOREVER!!! :) WOO HOO!!!

I can tell I am going to have a great week! :) I am on :cloud9:

This is my week to go to the gym early since I dont have to drive the kids into school! So as soon as the carpool gets here I am off! I am sooo excited! :)

Froufy
09-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Congrats Karen - on the great weight loss, inches off and ANNIVERSARY! Good for you, I bet you feel and look great!

I am a bit disappointed this week as I have not lost weight...actually up 1/2 lb....but I know this was due to extra (legal) carbs eaten for Rosh Hashana (Jewish new year) dinner party!....just finishing up all the leftovers (the sf cheesecake was awesome!).

So I am plugging away trying to stay on track. In order to feel a bit better this morning I quickly dug out the tape measure as my pants were feeling loose...while unofficial it does look like maybe another two inches have disappeared from my waistline. I must be due for another round of measurements?

Going out this evening to a ladies meeting (I belong to a fund raising organization)...this evening's speaker/event is on wine tasting and wine choices? I am hoping there won't be too many samples....I might take a sip or two? After the talk there is a social hour with coffee/tea and goodies! I will be strong and try not to nibble...there is usually fresh fruit and as I am off induction I may try to find some berries if possible. I also plan to fill up on dinner so I won't be tempted!

So Karen...any anniversary plans? presents?

Froufy

Leenie
09-29-2003, 02:10 PM
WOW KAREN !! you go girl :bravo:

Froufy, me too, no loss this week but I kinda knew why, my calories are to high, some days I was at 1800 and some days over 2000. If I keep them below 1400 I'll lose.......SIGH~ ~ ~
So thats what Iplan to do this week.

Hope everyone had a great weekend ?

I'm home today from work, I have the nastiest cold ... yeah I know I just got over the flu last week.. OY!

This too shall pass :lol:

KarenW
09-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks Leens and Froufy! I am pretty happy today!

Had a good workout at the gym. Wednesday I meet with a trainer to have my meausurements taken again. THis is for the wall of Sucess the gym does.. every 4 weeks we weigh in and measure and take a pic to help motivate everyone. This gets posted on the wall!

I had some bad news though today.. one of my crochet students has been battling breast cancer for 7 years. She is only 53. She is not well and in bed now. She just had her first grandchild this month and was supposed to fly out on thursday to see her. But she might not be able to see her now. I am taking this really hard as this is one of my most favorite people in the world! If you are so inclined, please pray/think good thoughts for her!

thanks for letting me share!

angel-eyes
09-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Karen...may I say?.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THAT IS FANTASTIC!! You are certainly staying on plan and will be on that wall of fame in no time!!! Keep it up!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

My week has been good, (not as great as Karen's....hehe) but still good. I am the slow turtle losing another .5 lb and another half and inch off of my waist. TOM came today so, I'm feeling rather crappy....blech!! Off for a nice hot bath and then bed.

fullfig
09-30-2003, 04:05 AM
karen, that is great. you are doing so well. i love watching your progress. i'll pray for your friend.

angel-eyes, your loss is great too.

leens and froufy, hang in there. i've been really slow these last couple of weeks too.

i'm down 1.4 since last week. i've got to get myself in gear with exercise. do y'all have any suggestions of where i can order psyllium husk and protein powder from the internet. i don't where i could possibly find them here. any help would be greatly appreciated. have a great week!

Leenie
09-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Karen, your friend, family and YOU ! are in my prayers.

Nice to see everyone today, so far so good, I'm doing really well w/my eating :D I just hope this cold doesn't set me back, I've had a few OTC cough drops, sugar free, hope that doesn't do anything or I'll just flip.

I gotta start my exercise program really soon, I'm do know this is why I don't lose quicker and well I've been putting it off to long now. As soon as I'm up to snuff, this weekend I'm gonna get my walking tapes out and start doing them :D

Hope you all are having an OP day !!

HUGS !

KarenW
09-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

Leens - Could we start maybe a weekly exercise thread? I would be glad to start it! maybe it would help keep us all motivated to work out!

Thanks Angel-eyes, fulfig for the kind words. It just hit me yesterday how well it is going for me now. I was slow off the mark, but things are starting to pick up now.

Thanks to all for the prayers for my friend. I saw her yesterday. Her doctor told her that she is very healthy, lungs, liver, kidneys, heart are all working as if she didnt have cancer. It is the Chemo that is making her sick and the doctor who originally told her that she wouldnt last past september now told her that she is too healthy to succumb! That is the good news, now if she can just get stronger and feel better with the chemo she will be doing great.

Ok, I am off to get on my treadmill! Have a great day all! :)

Froufy
09-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Well...hard to believe but I was somewhat out of control, a rare occurence, except for TOM!

I think it was the sf/lc cheesecake I had yesterday that set off a round of unbelievable carb cravings (2 oz pecans, sf jello, 1/3 sf chocolate bar, 10 fries from kids dinner, 1 spoon kraft dinner, 1 bite of dinner roll w/butter)....wow what a pigout.

Then off to a meeting...actually a wine tasting where I sipped an ounce or two of wine then dumped the rest. Luckily they had cheese (and crackers)...so I had some gouda (no crackers) and a glass of diet gingerale to keep me busy.

I was OUT OF KETOSIS when I tested last night which was really depressing...but the scale looks okay this am...as I weigh the same.

I will be extra careful of carbs today, and try and keep it to 20....hopefully back in ketosis by this evening.

So the moral of the story is....NO CHEESECAKE FOR ME....and to be careful of foods that can trigger these cravings (maybe the pecans too?)

Froufy

p.s. Sorry to hear about your friend Karen...I hope it turns out for the best.

dinki
10-01-2003, 12:56 AM
Hi everyone.

I am so excited I am newly inspired since finding this website a week ago. I have been working so much harder. Sticking to my diet and exercising so much better. Today I went to the gym which is only 1/2 block from my house. But sometimes it is so hard to go that 1/2 block. I worked out for 1 hour so I have to brag.

Karen- I will be praying for your friend

Work Hard All

dinki

Froufy
10-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Happy October to all...and a chilly morning here! Almost time to turn on the heating in the house.

I am also a bit "sniffly" this morning...not sure if it is allergies (seems too frosty for that) or if I am coming down with a cold? (god forbid, have two very important meetings to attend tomorrow and Friday).

Feeling discouraged with the weight thing.....I stayed under 20 carbs yesterday, and back in ketosis, but I was hoping scale would move downward instead of up a bit!

I am trying to be strong, but I am SO TIRED of dealing with the same pound....I have been hovering between 191.2 and 192 for the past week or so, and it is so frustrating:dizzy: .

My doctor's appt is on Oct 23rd, and I really want to be down in the 180's (especially since I will weigh more on that scale given clothes, food, etc).

I think I need to EXERCISE??? I am such a lazy thing, but do you think if I tried to up the exercise...maybe daily (GASP) for the next 3 weeks the scale would move? This will take a lot of determination and planning on my part. There are some days when I am so busy after work (chauffeuring kids to classes)..that I don't get home til 9 pm? I do have a treadmill at home, and videos so there are not too many excuses.

Any ideas/suggestions/motivations to help a lazy froufy?:?:

Froufy:cool:

KarenW
10-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Good morning!!

It is :cloud9: day again!!

Today was my 4-week appt with my trainer at the gym!

He didnt measure me because he likes to wait 8 weeks for better results but I did get weighed and my body fat tested....

I lost 6 pounds!
I lost 2.5% of my body fat!!
I gained 1 pound in Muscle!

WOO HOO!

Can you say I am really motivated now??

Got to run and take a shower.. but I had to share! I am so Excited!!!!!!! :)

Leenie
10-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Good Thursday Morning !

Froufy, I just wanna say, hang in there, you had a minor goof, don't let it destroy all your hard work, just brush those knee's off and get back on the bike.... Better hurry because I'm peddling right behind you....... BOOO !

Dinki, I'm so happy for you. Don't know if you know this but your posts are very inspiring and they really make me wanna do better and better each day. I'm so happy you found us too.

Karen, hugs to your friend. Thank God medicine can help her thru this. I know a few folks who went thru kemo and they are just fine now. It does take a toll on the body but w/out it... well you know :( Lets just pray research can come up w/a better way :yes: I'm so happy for you too, your inspiring words just make me feel like I can really stay with this life style. Hugs :)
Please start an exercise thread, you guys can do anything you like, this is your board, not mine, so feel free to let it rip !!!

Angel-eyes :bravo: on the .5 lb... I'd take that in a heart beat. I bet my metabolism is slower than yours :D I have to lower my calories to 1300 to lose or the dang scale just won't budge...how's that for slow. Must be all those years of abusive diets :( oh well live and learn huh. But in any case CONGRATS !!!!! I think its wonderful.

Fullfig 1.4 lbs down YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!! great job !!
I don't know where you can buy p.husks on the web but I'll look around for you.

Well I better get to work, my boss is out today so I get to play a little bit in here :D Some day's you might not even see me but thats okay, I'll make up for it lol.

Hugs to my friends.....

Froufy
10-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Good morning all...at work just having my 2nd cup of decaf w/cream. 1 important meeting down....next one tomorrow pm!

Have lots of boring work to do, but I will plug away at it.

Thanks Leens for the kind words, and I"m pedalling as fast as I can as you look pretty fast and I certainly don't want to get run over!

I was out of ketosis again last night?....not really sure why, but I won't obsess about it, as my pants were pretty loose yesterday. (I was able to get them on and off without undoing the zipper, and button!!!).

I try and remain optimistic and count my carbs religiously. I weighed in this morning at 191.2, but did get a peek at 190.8 the first time I got on!

3 week countdown to dr's appt where I hope to be in the 180's. I will try and exercise this weekend for sure as I should have lots of time.

I encourage everyone to keep posting their progress and exercise attempts. I find it very motivating and encouraging to be part of this group of LOSERS! ha ha

Froufy

StorybookMama
10-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I've been away from my computer for 5 days... talk about withdrawal!!

I had an 'offsite' team meeting the past three days so I wasn't able to check in on Monday.

I posted my woes on the Challenge thread - but AF showed up for the first time since May and totally threw off my induction weight loss. (I'm 18 months post partum and still not regular because of pumping and nursing... but we're in the process of weaning now.)

I am down 8 pounds since last Monday, but gained 6 pounds overnight because of AF. I'm now back to down 8 pounds again this morning.... so I'm using that weight as my start weight.

Sounds like everyone is doing great - in spite of the cravings.

I was wondering if anyone could sort of describe the difference between a craving and temptation. I was SURROUNDED by doughnuts, bagels, muffins, croissants, juice, pop, caramel apple cheesecake, chocolate, cookies, desserts of all kinds, etc. all weekend/week long so far. I have been SO GOOD and really haven't "craved" the sugar so much but certainly was "tempted" to eat all the goodies that were literally right in front of me.

I did not cheat but it was sooooooooooooo hard not to.

Leenie
10-02-2003, 05:13 PM
BRAVO LISA !!!!!!!!!! another job well done :bravo:

Kim in NJ
10-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Lisa - Great Job warding off temptation!

Froufy - Have you taken your measurements? I have been losing only 1lb a week for the past month but all my clothes are REALLY fitting differently. Try not to get discouraged. Just keep plugging and try not to be looking for a specific number. Just try to consistently get more and more healthy. It's a lot less pressure that way!

Froufy
10-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Good for you Lisa...job well done! Isn't that a great feeling?

Kim, yes I am due for measurements and may do them again this weekend...hopefully some encouragement from that will keep me going strong!

So tonight I had a LIVERWURST craving...I kid you not...I wanted liverwurst....looked it up and it's not that bad! So I bought some and had some...now normally I would shmear it onto some fresh, crusty french baguette....but with Atkins one must be more creative.

So...how about some sliced cucumber rounds....spread a little liverwurst on top, garnish with a onion piece...had a plate of these. The liverwurst is only 1.3 carbs per 100 grams (I had about 50 grams)....so this worked out great!

Also had MY FIRST SLICE OF BREAD in about 4 months....I have found a very easily available bread (in Ontario, Canada), called Betty's Bread...good news is they have a "light" version which is also very high fibre. Yes, the slices are a bit smaller and thinner than regular bread, but two slices are 13 carbs, less 5.2 grams fibre for a total of 7.8 carbs for two slices...or around 4 carbs per slice.....WOW....very exciting...but it was not as good as I expected it to be.

I was just experimenting with the bread (part of my supper), and don't plan to have it regularly anyways. I am on OWL tho and have introduced over the past few few weeks: cottage cheese, berries, melon, pecans, extra veggies, a sip of wine and now a slice of bread!

Still trying to stay between 25-30 carbs on most days.

Froufy

angel-eyes
10-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi SBmama......I guess my definition of a craving vs a temptation is that with a craving, I don't have the craved item around. Without it being physically present.....I want it, crave it, think about it, salivate over it and dream about how it will taste. A temptation to me is that I have the item in front of me or knowingly in the house and when I pass by it or see it....I want it. It is within reach and I am tempted by it. Does that make sense? I try not to give into the cravings, meaning going out to buy it.......and do the mind game of resisting a temptation.

Leenie
10-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Happy Friday Everyone :)

So much for the apple picking we were going to do this weekend. Since there's been so many mornings w/frost or frost danger, my sis told me that the farmers are picking the apples themselves so they don't lose the crop......DARN!

Apple pie is my favorite (well other than anything w/chocolate) and this time of year I LOVE to cook lots of apple things, I figured I would only get one bag of apples and make the little bambino some apple cookies or crisp :( Don't worry I have every intention NOT to eat it, I can do this :D

Last night we had Steak and sausage for dinner w/green beans, mushrooms, eggplant parm (well hubby had that) YUM.

I really LOVE my turkey sausage dipped in the SF syrup... I'm addicted :lol:

Hey Froufy, liverwurst on pork rinds YUM!!!!

Kim a pound a week is WONDERFUL! keep it up :)

Turtle38
10-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone! I haven't posted over here before, but I've been reading!

Here's an idea for your Liverwurst Froufy. I smeared some on a LaTortilla LC tortilla and it was wonderful. I love liverwurst on french baguette like you. But the tortilla was pretty good. Nature's Own makes a LC bread too. It was alright but not as good as I had hoped. I think I'd rather stick with the tortillas and do wrap type sandwiches with them.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Our weather here, Houston, is beautiful, and is supposed to hold through Saturday! We only get a handful of days a year where the humidity doesn't either make you melt or freeze!:cool:

supersized
10-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Great job Lisa! I have trouble resisting temptations and cravings but it is getting a bit easier. I keep telling myself that I will stall my weight loss for 2-3 days if eat something high in carbs. So far it has worked pretty well.

dinki
10-04-2003, 12:36 AM
HI ALL

SOMETHING THAT HAS HELPED ME AT TIMES, IS TO THINK ABOUT FOOD AS "FUEL FOR MY BODY" NOT AS A TREAT FOR ME.
SO LETS ALL JUST FILL UP OUR TANKS WITH LOW CARB FUEL ONLY.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

DINKI

Leenie
10-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Happy Saturday Everyone,

Well today is a good day, even though its raining out :(

I went grocery shopping early this am and came home and started cooking.

Cooked a pot roast, turkey, tuna steaks and turkey sausage ohh and cole slaw mmmmmmmmmm ! tonight we will grill some kielbasa and regular pork sausages on the grill (for hubby ick) lol

Tomorrow we go to my Inlaws to celebrate my FIL's 80th birthday (was going to do this last week but I was sicker then a dog).... I know the cake will not bother me in the least :) (good thing there's no brownies lol, now that would kill me lolol ) HEY at least I'm honest ;)

Have a great saturday everyone :D

LindaBC
10-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Hey all you Atkiners! I keep forgetting that this forum now exists and I should be a part of it.
I'm no longer on strict Induction but I still try to keep my carbs around 20. Lately I've added in full fat yogurt which actually helped me break a stall. According to a poster on another Atkins support board, she figures the data on the yogurt cartons is wrong and because the bacteria "eats" up the lactose to make yogurt, there is only 4 gr per 8 oz in plain yogurt. So, I've been making my own and then I turn half of it into yogurt cheese and mix some of that in with the plain yogurt to thicken it up, flavor it all with s.f. jello powder or s.f. syrup and yum yum, it is SO nice for a change. And, as I said, it helped me break a long-lasting stall. Might not work for everyone but it has definitely helped me. Some of the folks who are believers, go on a full yogurt fast which means yogurt all day except for a low carb supper. I just use it to replace one meal or one or two snacks each day.

I was wondering where everyone from the main LC board had disappeared to and now I know. They are either here or in the South Beach Forum. LOL

The question about temptation vs cravings got me thinking. IMHO, a temptation is having something yummy call your name but you have the will to resist. A craving is a nagging urge that demands to be fulfilled and is almost always impossible to resist. In fact, often we give into cravings before we even realize we had a choice to refuse. That's why it's so important to stay in ketosis which is the "Great Wall Against Craving Invasion". Once you're steadfastly into ketosis, the cravings don't have much of a chance.

Froufy
10-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Rainy, gloomy wet day here, but I am sparkling!:D

This morning's scale jump (at least 5 scale jumps actually) revealed 190.8...on all occasions. I am hoping this is a good sign and an indication of things to come! I am SO ANXIOUS to get into the 180's!

Not hungry today - so must be in ketosis (had psyllium husk pancakes for breakfast, 2 pepperoni sticks for lunch while running out door to hairdresser appt, a small cappuccino while there...then nothing to eat til dinnertime around 7 pm). Lots of shopping going on tho! (my feet are killing me!).

Dinner was a veal chop (in garlic olive oil) and brocolli in cheese sauc e- yum - still hungry so may have to forage around for more food!

Shopping was fun as I tried on clothes, but did not buy anything (except a black t-shirt on sale!)...as I am not yet ready to make any major investment.

Did buy a new watch, ordered another watch, and bought a new diamond solitaire necklace!!! (we were robbed a couple months ago, all my jewellery was stolen:( :( and just got insurance $$ so I can start replacing stuff!).

Best news is I AM NOW ABLE TO TAKE MY DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING OFF!...I actually got to clean the filthy thing......and it's asparkling now! I have not been able to get it off for the last 5 years. It has recently been doing the "spinning thing", but I was not able to get it off unti today! Very exciting;)

So I am hoping to go out to Starbucks for a coffee now, wearing my sparlking diamond ring, my new Calvin Klein (stainless steel) watch and my .40 carat diamond solitaire white gold necklace....hope everyone is wearing their sunglasses inside!:D :cool: :cool:

Froufy

supersized
10-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Good job Froufy! I love jewelry too. I just picked up my watch from the shop and had two links taken out of it. (YAE!)

As most of you know I have not been successful in starting an exercise program. Yesterday I walked in a fundraiser for Juvenile Diabetes. Afterwards I went out and bought 3 new pairs of running shoes so there is now no excuse for me not to get out and powerwalk. I'll keep a pair at home, one at work and one in the car so I'll never be without me exercise gear.

I'm expecting a loss tomorrow as I choked done a healthy dose of konsyl last night. That stuff thickens at a very rapid rate.

Where can I find more information on the yogurt fast? I think I could do that easily.

Hope all of you are having a super weekend.

Leenie
10-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Linda, good to see you :D

Froufy WTG !!! When I was pregnant 2 yrs ago I had to take my rings off, well they are still off, can't wait to put them back on sigh~ My ring size is a 6, I think right now I'm a 7 so it will be at least 20 - 30 lbs b/4 I can get those babies back on..OY

Supersize, I mix my konsyl in my soda (but first I get the bubbles out or it becomes a mess lol, the black cherry kills the taste and then I flush it down some more w/water) I can NOT take that stuff w/plain water.....gag!

Today is FIL's b'day dinner at his house, I will be STRONG!!!!! :D

Hugs

Froufy
10-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Good luck Leens....hope you manage to pull through the party!

I am having an "eating" day...home and very tired, lethargic...due to an antihistamine I took at 5:30 am due to sniffly nose!

I am now in "fasting" mode as Yom Kippur has begun at sun down. I will be fasting until sundown tomorrow..then a major carb load I guess?

My eating was a bit off, I think the fasting this is making me eat more....you know how scared we are of going hungry?:lol:

Today I have eaten: 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1 slice melon, decaf w/cream, 3 pepperoni sticks, handful of potato chips!:devil: :devil: , turkey liver, 1 slice cheese.

Dinner was (yes there's more).....roast turkey, sf cranberry sauce, asparagus w/lemon butter, 1 slice acorn squash, sf chocolate mousse and decaf coffee w/cream.

I am STUFFED...but I know I'll be hungry tomorrow!...cant' eat til around 7:30 pm.....then we can break the fast.....not sure what I will be eating at that point? We're not supposed to drink water either, and that is the toughest part. I guess I won't be taking my supplements tomorrow?

I am off work tomorrow of course, and may not weigh myself as I feel so bloated now. I did hop on scale today...and looks like 190...hope this sticks around!

Froufy:D

LindaBC
10-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Super, here is the thread on the Atkins & Friends website that explains all about the yogurt fast and the modified yogurt fast. BTW, it's a great website and the yogurt thread is in the Century Club for people who have 100 lb or more to lose. I think it's also been picked up by the Main LC forum as well.

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155073