Carb Counters - Constipation - come on, I know you're curious

Kim in NJ
09-26-2003, 04:31 PM
After seeing someone else post about taking Konsyl, I wanted to research what it was. I found this article very interesting from a proctologist. Hope it helps someone.

http://www.doctor-gillis.com/constipation.html

Leenie
09-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Yup that would be me. Konsyl is the only thing that helped me w/my problem. And I've tried everything.

Thanks for posting this :D

KarenW
09-29-2003, 04:22 PM
I have a great smoothie recipe that Jennifer3FC posted on the low carb thread that helps me! I modified it a bit to make it a little lower in carbs...

1/4 cup whole milk riccota cheese (2 carbs)
2 scoops of chocolate Protien Powder (3 carbs)
1/2 cup of water
6-8 ice cubes
2 tsps of psyllum husks

Blend in blender until thick and smooth.

This works for me in less than 24 hours! for a total of 5 carbs!

fullfig
09-30-2003, 03:54 AM
i'm gonna have to try this recipe. after 20 days passing with only one small bm on 17th day, i finally got to drink the turkish laxative tea. i had to go to the er because of a reaction to it. soooooo, no more herbal tea for me. the er dr told me that my potassium was low and that low potassium can cause constipation. so now i've got to search the net to see where i can order the psyllium husk and protein powder. any suggestions?

BigNate
09-30-2003, 09:51 AM
I have been doing the Atkins Diet for two months now. At first I did have a little bit of trouble with constipation. Now I drink tons of water, about 120 oz. or more when I go to the gym. This has kept me regular with no more problems.

KarenW
09-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Fulfig - try the GNC siteGNC (http://www.gnc.com)

fullfig
10-01-2003, 05:49 AM
thanks karen. we went to gnc here last night. one bottle of 90 capsules was 39 million tl or roughly $28 plus 18% kdv tax. i was just looking at the vitaglo site that jennifer mentioned. it looks a lot cheaper. to get free shipping, have to order at least $50 worth. so, i've got to decide what all i need.

bignate--i too drink a lot of water--never less than half gallon, but usually a gallon or little more. thanks

KarenW
10-01-2003, 11:11 AM
OH MY! I wouldnt pay that either Fulfig!!

rover1
10-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by fullfig
i'm gonna have to try this recipe. after 20 days passing with only one small bm on 17th day, i finally got to drink the turkish laxative tea. i had to go to the er because of a reaction to it. soooooo, no more herbal tea for me. the er dr told me that my potassium was low and that low potassium can cause constipation. so now i've got to search the net to see where i can order the psyllium husk and protein powder. any suggestions?

Cola drinks(sugar free) have a lot of potassium.

Kim in NJ
10-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Leenie - How is it you take your Konsyl???? I tried it in a glass of sf wylers punch and it was disgusting! It did help but oh my!!!! Do you dissolve it in something warm? If so, what?
Thanks!

Leenie
10-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Kim, I know it can make you gag, me too, I fought it in the beginning...

I take a tiny glass maybe 3 - 4 oz of Diet Rite Black Cherry soda, I swirl it around w/a spoon to get the gas bubbles out, then I put a tea spoon of Konsyl in it and gulp it down as fast as I can, then I back that up with some water, just to make sure I wash it down real good.

The black cherry soda helps ALOT !!!!

I can't drink it w/water........ick! taste like dirt. lol

BUT !!! it does work :) :)

fullfig
10-01-2003, 06:50 PM
the best i could do for psyllium husks in my neck of the woods is sugar free metamucil. i'm assuming the net carb would be 0 being the 5 carbs are from 3g dietary fiber and 2g soluble fiber. i hope this is the case anyway. i've got to have relief though. it's not bad in a blender concoction. actually, it had sort of a dreamsicle taste. it is orange flavored. the commissary is checking to see if it can order some protein powder. do you have to have this for smoothies? i put in ice, water, metamucil, ricotta cheese, a little half and half (would be better with heavy cream), and a little vanilla extract. i'm assuming there are no carbs in imitation vanilla flavoring. i hope i'm right anyway.

supersized
10-06-2003, 01:22 PM
I tried the Konsyl this weekend and had great results. It thickens very fast though. I put too much in I think. I used aspartame free diet soda and had to keep adding to be able to swallow it. After each drink, I drank a lot of water to help dilute it. It is nasty tasting. Yesterday I mixed sour cream with no carb waffle syrup then added Konsyl. Eating it was much easier than drinking it. I drank lots and lots of water afterward. I'm gonna try it in a shake next time.

I bought mine at Wal-Mart for just under $15.00 before tax. I just checked the Konsyl site http://www.konsyl.com/shopping/index.htm and they offer a better price with free shipping. The only catch is that you have to order 3 bottles at a time.

The site also offers an orange flavored one (sf also), an easy stir one and tablets. Has anyone tried these ?

fullfig
10-06-2003, 05:40 PM
thanks, sis. i may have to order some. my sf orange metamucil is doing absolutely nothing. i'll have to check the site after i get up in the morning. good night all.

goodforme
10-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I've never really had a problem with this before, usually the opposite. I'm sorry to hear the metamucil isn't working, that was my next thing to try. My doc suggested dulcolax, and all it does is make me have cramps and no movements, sorry so graphic. What gives?

KarenW
10-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Sherrie -

If you have a GNC nearby, get some Psyllium Husks. I make a smoothie with Ricotta Cheese, low carb shake mix, water and ice cubes. before blending but in 2 tsps of the psyllium and it works for me in 24 hours....

Or try eating celery! That helps a lot too!

goodforme
10-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Ugh! I really don't like raw celery, but I will force myself to choke some down. Usually my veggies take care of everything, wonder what's the deal? By the way, does psyllium cause gas? I hear that on tv all the time. At this point, I'm not sure which is worse! Thanks for your help!

KarenW
10-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Sherrie I havent had a gass problem with it. In fact, quite the opposite! I go regularly now that gas hasnt been a problem.

I eat the celery with cream cheese. Raw celery is not my favorite either.. but the cream cheese helps ALOT!

dinki
10-07-2003, 12:03 AM
I read in the South Beach Diet book they recomend surgarfree Metamucil 1 tsp in 8 oz water 15 min before each meal. They state it increases the fiber count with each meal. So I have tried it and with a past problem with constipation, this has worked very well for me. Now that might just be too much for some people.

I also have bought the generic brand at walmart that has the same ingredients for 1/2 the cost, and it really dosen't taste to bad , I have to keep stiring it because it can become to thick to drink. Make sure you get sugar-free if you decide to try it.

Good luck

dinki

fullfig
10-07-2003, 11:37 AM
after 7 days of having 2 to 3 t of sf orange metamucil, i finally got a small amount of relief--enough to show a 2 lb loss. i guess i'll keep plugging along with it.

supersized
10-07-2003, 01:29 PM
The Konsyl is a miracle. I used a rounded eating teaspoon instead of rounded measuring teaspoon the first time I tried it and it worked like a charm. I've tried metamucil and fibercon in the past to no avail. I have to stick to regular dosage during work week.

This morning I made a shake and put the Konsyl in it. It was yummy. I would have loved to have more of it.

I bought some almond and mint extracts to try in the chocolate protein shakes but don't have a clue how much to use. I don't want to overpower it. Any ideas? I didn't have the recipe for the shake this morning just the list of ingredients. I used 1/2 ricotta cheese, 1 TBSP heavy whipping cream, 3 ice cubes, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 tsp of Konsyl.

TwoPillows
10-13-2003, 12:17 PM
When I was last on Atkins I made a habit out of borrowing the Long-life-cocktail from the Fat Flush Plan. I mix 2 T of ground flax seeds and 1 tsp of full strength cranberry juice (no sugar or unsweetened variety) with 8 ozs of water and a dash of stevia powder. I drink it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I believe it adds 3 to my carb count each day 1.5 AM and PM. and it also adds 8 grams of fiber and extra omega 3s and cranberry juice is also a detoxifier.