Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #1  

Default Did you tell

people that you were getting the WLS? At first I didn't want anyone to know but then if I didn't tell my sisters or close friends I would've been killed!!!

I started to feel guilty that we didn't tell any of my hubby's family. I didn't want them to feel like they weren't important or left out. So I let them know about it too
Old 09-25-2003, 06:04 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

and what were the reactions? hope they were supportive!!

i told everyone. but my situation was different than most people's since i was dying.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #3  

I emailed the inlaws this afternoon so I don't know if they've read it or not.

Jiffy, I'm glad you are no longer dying!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:24 PM   #4  

Hey Purplerose!!! Welcome!!! We are glad you joined us. Good luck to you on your journey and we will be with you along the way!

I am glad jiff didn't die either! I have grown kind of used to the incredibly shrinking little fuzzball....although now that she can BREATHE again she is QUITE noisy....oh yea, she is my sister in real life so if my comments seem a bit out of bounds...it is just the sister thing kicking in.

anyway, I told my close friends and family...my mother...(and Jiff's too) I told her...but she forgets about it and has to be reminded...but what she lacks in concentration and focus she makes up for by being so darn cute. BUT I think the word is starting to spread around this incredibly small town...no matter how much I try to stay in my little hole.

oh well.

I don't mind people knowing, I don't even mind them talking about it behind my back (I think )...who knows, maybe I'll be able to help someone along the way. My weight has been up and down so many times that there are people who don't even know me in my current stage of fluffyness and there are others who only know me as the queen of fluff. (er nutter)

I guess my feelings are that we are so much more than what we weigh that in terms of other people...I don't bring up the subject of weight loss surgery. I guess at some point it will be brought up and that is ok...I don't mind either way.

anyway, I have gone on too long...nothing to unusual there!!!!

I am glad you found us...let us know how the inlaws (so nice that they are not the outlaws) react!!!

peach
Old 09-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #5  

I haven't had the surgery yet, but i'm on a different side. My family (even my hubby) are not very supportive of the whole thing. My father is the only one that has said that I need to do what is right for me. So he is the only one (hubby was told but is away) that I'm going to tell. I'll tell after it's done, but I don't need the worry of what they will think till after it's "to late" lol.

I figgure that when it's done there will only be so much they can say about it. It's not like what they will say is going to change anything after it's done.

So that's my take on it.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:11 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Bella, we didn't want Amy to have it either when she first mentioned it. We were afraid for her, and how she would cope afterward...she told us a few months ago this was very important to her, and she was sincere about it. She handed us a package of information, and we decided we needed to support her. This was her decision, and if we didn't support her, it would only make it hard on her, not make her change her mind. Maybe if you have a heart to heart with your family all at once, they might warm up, especially if they hear your Dad support you.

On the other hand, Al Roker didn't tell his family (other than his wife) about his surgery, either. Unfortunately it leaked out on him anyway...
Old 09-26-2003, 08:04 AM   #7  

Bella,

My hubby didn't want me to get the surgery at first. I think after he knew I was serious that I needed to lose weight to be healthy for me he understood. So he did reading with me and I told him what the Dr. said. He's now changed his mind.

My Mom has been supportive from the start. I think it also helped my hubby when I told him to think of all the nice clothes I could wear and umm umm lingerie SOOOO he really changed his mind

Peach,

Glad to know you and Jiffy are sisters that's great you are able to support each other!!

We'll see how the inlaws react if they react at all. I'm not their favorite person in the world . But that's another story
Old 09-26-2003, 08:33 AM   #8  

I did not tell anyone other than my husband kids and my parents, I did not tell the in-laws they just would not have understood. I did tell my best friend. Bascialy I told those who I thought would support me.
I don't think it is anyones business. My weight has been up and down over my 50 years of life and I just did not want anyone judging yet another failure. As all of the other attempts have ended that way. This is and will be the last resort for me.
Grammy
Old 09-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

hey peach: I'M STILL TALLER THAN YOU ARE!!! [incredibly shrinking little fuzzball. my a##!!!!!!!!!]

now.. let's all see if the moderator tolerates THAT outburst!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 11:12 AM   #10  

i live in a small town where everyone knows each other
so when someone has wls everyone knows and supports them
many wonderful people offered their own experiences with me so i had a wide knowledge of what to expect
with the weight management group i went to for wls they require
4 group visits before the surgury my husband and daughter attended and realized why i had come to this decision. there where people that was 678 and had lost 278 lbs but the complications were horrible because of their complicated health issues. so now they knew i was right i was 46 weighing 368lbs
and had very little health issues just enough for ins to cover lol

well with all of my family support the surgury waiting room was overflowing and the surgury took 4 hours, poor receptionist lol
anyway lapro gastric bypass 1 week later and i went to grocery store yesterday and i am having my hair colored today so life is good and always i give praise to JESUS

WELL ENOUGH AMY,THIS TO SHALL PASS
Old 09-26-2003, 11:14 AM   #11  

I MEANT I HAD WENT ON TOO LONG

THAT WAS THE WELL ENOUGH

SORRY
Closed Thread