Carb Counters - Does any one have trouble getting in more than 9 carbs a day?

KarenW
09-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I have issues with getting in more than 9 carbs a day on induction. Does anyone else have this issue? I know that it is OK, but even if I eat 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of the induction -acceptable veggies, I still cant get over 9 carbs...

StorybookMama
09-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey Karin!

Aren't we supposed to count 1 carb for each ounce of cheese? Hmmm....I need to go check my book.

I have noticed that my carb count is really low, too, but I do count my cheese and cream cheese that I use for my celery.

I'll have to think about this, too.

Leenie
09-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi Karen,

I have no problems going over 9 carbs. For one I think my coffee is about 9 carbs. You have to count coffee, splenda and cream.

Some days I just don't want salads so I have extra veggies until I reach my 20 carbs. Some day's I'm up to 30 carbs b/c of veggies. Don't forget sour cream, cheese, pepperoni and lunch meats have carbs.

KarenW
09-25-2003, 04:56 PM
That is the thing.. I have 8 oz of coffee with 1 tbsp of heavy cream for breakfast (2 carbs) 2 Eggs in the morning (1.6 carbs) and then 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of either Green Beans, Cauliflower or Broccoli. Sometimes Spinach too. If I have cheese at all, It is 1 tbsp of cream cheese on celery in lieu of one cup of salad or one oz of cheader in a 2 egg omlete. Never eat lunch meat or pepperoni! Very rarely do I eat Sour Cream!

every once in a while I will add 1/2 an avocado to my salad. or toss 1 tbsp of parm cheese or feta cheese on my salad. those days I get up to maybe 12 carbs! I do count net carbs too... After talking to the atkins staff on the phone, I follow it that way!

Leenie
09-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Karen how about a hand full of nuts and some olives in your salad. Do you like peppers, cucumbers, onions, mushrooms. I would think any veggie you add will help boost it. Is it that your just not hungry ?

Gee, if I can think of anything else I'll holler !!!

KarenW
09-25-2003, 05:13 PM
I am not hungry.. that is part of it, the other is that I am on induction so no nuts... Even though I am Italian, I dont like olives in anything but pizza or Chicken Cacciatore! :)

According to the Atkins center, as long as I am under 20 carbs it is OK.. but I just thought I would throw this out there.. I must be strange.. But then again, I love my meats! :) The only thing I miss is Potato chips!

StorybookMama
09-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Karen.... ahh a kindred soul...

I love my meats, too, but force myself to do 3 cups of salad/veggies a day. I DO eat cheese/cream cheese, though.

But, I miss french fries.... and had to smell my dh's in the car today!! I DID NOT EAT a single one.

KarenW
09-25-2003, 07:24 PM
LOL Lisa! I have to force myself to eat the salad too. Putting tuna or roast beef on it helps!

Froufy
09-26-2003, 12:54 AM
How about salad dressings? Those have some carbs as does mayonnaise....if it has sugar in it. You could also whip up some whipped cream with sf vanilla syrup for a treat...or just add more exotic veggies. Have you tried spaghetti squash? Great w/melter butter, parmesan and garlic...and I think 7 carbs per cup..and very yummy!

Froufy

fullfig
09-26-2003, 10:50 AM
karen, i find that my carbs are really low too. i don't think it is a problem though. i find that i am just not hungry. i didn't realize how low the counts were until doing fitday for a week. i hate doing that and posting menus too. just seems to take too much time. i know what i can and can't have. i am not a meat and egg eater at all. but i've tried to get creative this time. so far it has not been a problem. i tend to eat turkey and chicken breasts for meat and get fat through cheese, mayo, and salad dressing. i do miss chocolate sometimes, but not enough to make me stray. i'm stalled right now. i did get off plan on wednesday, but just that one day. i'm close to the bottom of the range that i've been in for last five years. so, i was expecting it. constipation has been a huge problem too. i think once i can find the turkish laxative tea, the problem should be resolved. one can only hope. anyway, i just realized that i have gotten really off track. so, i'll stop for now. have a great day!

angel-eyes
09-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we supposed to and allowed to EAT MEAT!!( ie: protein) ?? I mean..... the bacon, sausages, chicken, turkey, beef, shrimp, salmon, tuna.....etc etc?? I find no problem at all munching my way to the 20 gr. limit. I even try once and awhile the Atkin products that are allowed for induction. I find the Advantage Shakes really good and satisfying served over crushed ice. (1 gr carb) I must be a carnivore at heart because I LOVE MEAT!!!

KarenW
09-26-2003, 10:53 PM
That is the thing, I eat meat.. but most have 0 Carbs! It is the veggies and cheese that have the carbs. (And cream too) I stall if I eat too many of the atkin products a week one shake a week is all I can have if I dont want to stall.

angel-eyes
09-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi Karen. Sorry, for spoutting off at the mouth about the virtues of meat...LOL, from your original post it sounded like you didn't eat ANY meat, just 3 C of veggies!! Whatever you are doing seems to be working though; 13 lbs and 9.5 ". That is excellent. Others may lose faster/slower than you but whatever you lose is yours...you are unique. I hope the 9.5" wasn't from just the boob area. Seems I lose there first!! **darn**

KarenW
09-27-2003, 12:08 PM
LOL! I wish it was in the boob area! I have WAY TOO MUCH! LOL! only 2 inches was there! :)

dinki
09-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Wow you are doing great, it is great how this diet does decrease your appitite. Keep up the great work. I have trouble staying below 20 carbs and exercising, what are you doing? I have been stuck for 2 weeks at 10 pound loss.
Well I am motivated now.

Good luck
Dinki

rover1
09-29-2003, 05:19 AM
Those who suffer from constipation, will benefit from eating celery, at least one stalk per day especially during the early stages.

KarenW
09-29-2003, 12:13 PM
That is true too! I have found that has helped me lately as well! Celery is a great one!

bella1
09-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Karen are you using any sweet n low or anything else in your coffee? I use 2 sweeteners in my coffee I count each packet as 1 carb. So with the coffee I make it to 20 or more.

nursenicki069
09-29-2003, 02:31 PM
I think i eat too much cheese...hard to measure one ounce of cheese..and i love cheese..but i dont eat alot of veggies either. As far as the pepperoni...i buy the Hormel sticks and it doesnt have any carbs at least that is what the package says...I think i also need to lay off the Splenda...have it in my drinks and then been adding it to mayonaise to give it a Miracle Whip taste....might be slowing me down...

KarenW
09-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Bella - I dont like sweet coffee so nope.. dont use them! Just 1 tbsp of heavy cream for 1 carb. Os my coffee comes out at 2 carbs (I only drink one cup a day)

dinki - I exercise 506 days a week at the gym and eat around 1400 calories a day. 65-75% fat and 25-30% protien. I dont eat any SF food or low carb snacks other than an Atkins advantage drink maybe once a week. I eat all "real foods" no peperoni sticks or processed deli meats, etc... chicken fish turkey beef pork lamb. the only processed food I do eat is pork brown n serve sausages 3 or 4 mornings a week. (THe no carb ones from Hormel) I also eat bacon, but usually no more often than 2 times a week.

The key for me is no splenda or other sweatners, no sodas, LOTS and LOTS of water (120 oz a day) and the exercise. The exercise keeps me going! I also take vitamins: A multi vitamin, B-Complex, Calcium and chromium Picolinate. That is waht keeps me going too! That B Complex is wonderful! I use the one you can get at Costco.

Tulip-Fairy
09-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Hi everyone

Phew!! :shrug: I thought it was just me............I am on day two of induction and was amazed at how low my carbs were .......just 7 and i ate loads yesterday!! I am using fitday to keep a track of things as i have a tendency to over estimate my carb intake and be cautious of what i eat.

I drink coffee black with no sweeteners [it's just how i like it] so not much there either!!

I love salads but don't tend eat them as much in the winter, so i'm looking to spend time eating my veggies [another favourite] but the good bit is the cream / butter and cheese that i can have with them......after low fat dieting its like being in heaven!!

bella1
10-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Oh , I've only been drinking coffee for a few years, but I have to have it sweetened. My hubby used to drink his black , now he likes his as sweet as I do.Between coffee and cheese I get 20-25 a day. ;)

Kokoloo
10-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Karen, I had the same problem when I first started low carbing and found that I have to get my carbs in with my eggs. I usually saute' spinach, mushrooms, and sometimes jalapenos in with the scrambled eggs and you'd be surprised how many carbs you can add in that way. top it off with cheese and maybe some sour cream and salsa verde and you've got a great breakfast.

I know it sounds like a lot but it really helps me and I've been doin this now for over 5 months.

If you feel like your still not getting enough carbs, remember that 1/2 of an avacado is great or a handful of macadamias are good too.

Good luck :)

angel-eyes
10-03-2003, 04:30 PM
congratulations kokoloo.....56 lbs lost!!! awesome

Kokoloo
10-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks Angel :D

KarenW
10-07-2003, 11:21 AM
kokoloo!

Thanks for the suggestions! I am still on induction so Macadamias are out, but I will try the other scramble you are talking about!

COngrats on your weight loss! BTW- where in the PNW are you? Im in WA State! Lots of us here in Western WA!

Kokoloo
10-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks Karen :)

I'm about 20 miles North of Seattle, where are you?

KarenW
10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
About 20 miles north of Seattle too! Mill Creek/South Everett area!

Kokoloo
10-07-2003, 03:47 PM
YUP!!! Exaclty - LOL !!! I live in Lynnwood. It's that six degrees of separation/small world thing going on :D

StorybookMama
10-07-2003, 07:21 PM
It really is. I work in Federal Way, live and grew up in Des Moines... so not far.

We should have a Washington get together next Summer when we are are svelte. =)

KarenW
10-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Wow! How cool! There are a couple of others in Auburn and that area too! We should have a WA get together!

Tulip-Fairy
10-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Hi all,

I'm on day 10 of induction and am now only just getting get my carbs under 20 grams!! The first few days were easy, it was 7 or 9 11 but now it's 20 - 21. They are all good carbs tho - acceptable veggies usually - I think i've made a break through tho - i was shopping with a friends yesterday and we stopped for coffee & and :devil: :cookie: :cookie:something "nice" as per usually out of habit really and i just didn't fancy anything once i got to the counter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I THINK I'VE CRACKED MY SWEET TOOTH CRAVINGS!
:cb: :cb: :cb: yipeeeeee!!!

i settled for my usual black coffee and was feeling kind of smug :smug: for the rest of the day.

I weighed in on monday and i've lost 5 lbs and 4 ins in one week - i am so pleased with myself i'm on :cloud9:
the :headache: headaches have gone, i'm feeling more energetic and am waking up hungry and eating breakfast which i haven't done.......ever!!!
I now need to concentrate on doing a bit more exercise now :( that's the bit i don't like!

How are you all going with your carb counts on induction - has it got easier or harder to stick to 20???

KarenW
10-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Tulip-Fairy!

WTG!! You are doing so great!

I never had a problem with carbs from the beginning! I have always managed to stay under 20.. most of the time 9 or less carbs a day. I am trying a few things now to increase my carbs but I havent gotten much past 11 carbs a day.

Tulip-Fairy
10-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi Karen,

I might be adding it up wrong, do you eat much veg? that adds mine up....!!!

What type of things do you eat in a day on your induction..not being nosey but would like to see if it's similar to my diet!!!

I'm not complaining too much though as the weight is coming off and im not hungry, it's just that i'm so close to my carbs total!

Do you have 20g carbs + 3 cup of salad / veg or do you count that in with your 20g???

yours confusingly!!

Tulip
~x~:)

KarenW
10-08-2003, 01:27 PM
The Veggies are included in my carb count for the day!

I usually have 1-2 cups of Salad for lunch (Romaine or mixed greens) and 1 cup of Induction approved veggies (Higher carb count ones.. spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans) at dinner. If I only have one cup of salad at lunch, then I have another cup at dinner.. or celery stalks for a snack.

The 20 carbs a day must include your veggies. You want your 20 carbs to come from veggies as much as possible. Although I do get some from my daily coffee with Heavy Cream, 1-2 oz of cheese, eggs... but the rest are from veggies. And I do count the net carbs...

Marishka
10-08-2003, 01:32 PM
I have been doing Atkins for 32 months, having gone from 376 to 266, with plateaus every so often. I find that aside from the vegetables and yogurt cheese, I have low carb tortillas (small 3 carbs) or WASA Soya crispbread (6 carbs). I usually eat around 30-40 carbs a day, sometimes go up to 60-80. I only stayed on Induction for two weeks. I figured since I had so much too lose, I wanted this to be a lifestyle not a diet. I save the Induction levels now for a fast day maybe once a month. My calories are about 1500-1800 and if I were counting WW points, they are around 30.

If you started on August 3rd, why are you still on Induction? Perhaps add 1/2 cup blueberries (4 carbs) in some cream cheese with splenda. I downloaded the Carb Gram Counter from the www.atkins.com site and it gives me all the information I would ever need on any food off-line. It is a .pdf file and you need to download Adobe Reader to read it, but it is very helpful. Perhaps you could get some ideas from that.

Best wishes

KarenW
10-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi Mary!

I am still on induction as per my doctors orders. I am insulin resistant and he wants my carb count down as low as possible to get my blood sugar under control. I will be on induction until at least the end of December when I have more blood work done.

I am not concerned about having my carbs so low as so much as how to increase it from time to time while still on strict induction. Being that I usually exercise 6 days a week.. ( this week will be less as I have a cold) sometimes I need a little extra something to help push my body a bit farther when exercising.

Because of the sugar content in fruit, the doctor says no can do until my sugar levels are stable again.

Congrats on your Weight Loss! You are doing so well! :)