South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:11 AM   #1  

Arrow Holiday Help Needed!

Holiday Help Needed!

Imagine Easter and Christmas all wrapped up within 10 days of eachother... That's my eating dilema for the next couple of weeks! I know I need help and support!!!

Rosh Hashana (New Year) and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement--like a giant confession day) are the biggest holidays of the Jewish religion...and they begin this Friday evening! Dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner and then again 10 days later!
(Yes, we fast on Yom Kippur, but a big meal the night before fasting and then another big one at the end of the day...fasting just makes eating later more dangerous!)

Major component of any Jewish tradition is to eat until you go into a "food coma." Worst part is that the foods are all EXTREMELY off plan!!! "Ancient" Eastern European dishes which are fatty and mostly carbs!!! I have no idea where to begin! I don't even know how to plan for this!
H E L P ! ! !

Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone else on the Beach who may be facing the same problems... you've got my compassion and Happy New Year! Everyone else...your holidays are coming up soon! You must have some ideas!!!???
Old 09-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #2  

I agree, holidays are the worst!

Are you going to be the cook, or are you trying to decide which items to choose?

If you have to make some breads, can you make them with whole wheat flour?

I'm trying to get a lot more veggies into my diet, including peas and beans, legumes; do you have recipes with olive oil? I'd go to some of the recipe sites on the Internet and type in some specific OK ingredients to their search engines and see what comes up.

I wish you success on your search.

Tricia
Old 09-25-2003, 01:07 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, J&L... I feel for you! Best of luck with your meals, hon.

Here are a few links to get you started. I don't know how good they are...

http://bestlowcarbs.com/article1035.html
http://www.friendswithdiabetes.org/
http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/easyshabbos.html
http://*************.com/group/Jewish...1?viscount=100
http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCar...ng-Recipes.htm
Old 09-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #4  

J&LMom,

I feel your pain! Who's having the dinners? If it's someone close to you, can you tell them that you are following a certain diet plan for your health & will fix your own food for the meal? Make clear that you are not trying to offend the host in any way, and that your participation in the meal and fellowship means more to you than the food. These are hard issues, and family pressure even though it is always with the best intentions, can be very difficult to deal with. Keep your focus on your goals. I can only tell you what I might do, but you ultimately have to decide what's comfortable for you. Maybe just having small portions of SOME of the food would work. I'm sure some of our beach buddies may come up with other helpful solutions.
Stay focused and hang in there!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:43 PM   #5  

Thank you guys sooo much!!! I know this is a tough subject for everyone and all the advice is helpful!!! The websites were great, thanks!

No, I'm not the hostess this year...it's my mother and she's making "soul food" that I love! Chicken soup with matzah balls (dumplings) Brisket and onions and potatoesand carrots... and kasha (buck wheat groats) with bow-tie noodles... and noodle pudding (like a sweet dessert-type lasagna or a bread pudding made with pasta instead of bread), and jello molds with fruit and nuts inside...and challah bread (a white egg bread) and honeycake...

I can't imagine ever getting off phase I!!! I can't even make it through a whole week of Phase I!!!

I adore you all anyway! The compassion and support and empathy are so very appreciated!!! Thanks! If you have any other suggestions -- other than "calling in sick" let me know!

xoxo,
Robin
Old 09-26-2003, 05:18 AM   #6  
Mous

Robin,

Just being aware is a + for you and your determination.

Temptations will be everywhere.

I will think about this and get back to you SOON.

BRB

Marcie
Old 09-26-2003, 05:33 AM   #7  
Mous

Default WOW!

I have thought about this and maybe you could surprise them with a couple dishes brought with love and then you could do the 3 bite rule for the rest.

Here is some info I got for you.

REMEMBER that you need to change some of the ingredients to follow SBD.

GOOD LUCK.

Desserts for Rosh Hashanah
The Jewish New Year
Rosh Hashanah is the 2 holy days that begin the Jewish New Year. Yom Kippor is a day of fasting, reflection and prayers.

The desserts of Rosh Hashanah are mainly composed of seasonal fresh fruits like apples, pears, and figs. Honey is the most important staple at this time. Honey symbolizes a wish for a sweet year.

On Rosh Hashanah it is customary to eat foods that are sweet with flavor. This symbolizes the "sweetness and good fortune" of the New Year ahead. Foods flavored with honey, apples and carrots are commonly served. The Rosh Hashanah meal begins with apple and challah dipped in honey.
Challah, the bread usually eaten on the Sabbath, is also specially prepared for the holiday. Instead of the traditional braided loaf, the Rosh Hashanah challah is round - symbolizing the cycle of the new year. The design of ladders or birds are added to the holiday challah by some families to commemorate the prayers rising to Heaven.
Now here for your holiday eating pleasure are recipes to help you celebrate a happy and tasty New Year!

Leshana tova tikotevu
"May you be inscribed for a good and sweet year."

Challah - Honey Whole Wheat
Ingredients:

4 cups Flour
4 cups Flour, Whole-Grain Wheat
2 pkgs Active Rapid-Rise Yeast
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups Hot Water
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Margarine
2 Eggs -- beaten
1Egg Yolk
1 tsp Water
Sesame Seeds -- or poppy seeds
Instructions:

Combine flours in a large bowl, setting aside 1 cup; add yeast and salt to flour in bowl
Combine 2 cups water, honey, and margarine; stir until margarine melts
Stir warm liquids into flour mixture
Stir in eggs
Knead dough on lightly floured board 7-10 minutes adding as much of reserved flour as needed ot form a smooth, elastic dough. Cover dough; let rest 10 minutes
Halve dough and shape into balls. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size.
Beat egg yolk with remaining 1 tsp water. Brush loaves with glaze; sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Makes 2 loaves, 24 servings.
*For Rosh Hashanah do not braid but form the challah into a round shape

Carrot Kugel
Ingredients:

1/2 cup margarine -- See Notes
3/4 cup brown sugar -- Use 1 cup if your carrots aren't sweet
2 eggs -- or 4 egg whites
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup hot water -- or juice
4 cups carrots -- shredded
Instructions:

Cream the margarine and sugar. Beat in eggs.
Mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
Dissolve the soda in the hot water.
Add flour mixture alternately with the soda mixture to the creamed mixture.
Mix in the carrots.
Spoon into a greased or Pammed baking dish (about 8"x12").
Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes .
NOTES : Part or all of the margarine may be replaced by applesauce to lower the fat content. The texture will be heavier, but it will still taste great. Freezes well

Source: Annice Grinberg

Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Pizza
Ingredients:

Two 6-inch pita loaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces mild fresh goat cheese log
1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
8 ounces Blue Hill Bay cold smoked salmon
¾ cup shredded fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400º F and set a rack in the upper third of oven.
Split the pita loaves horizontally and lay the 4 rounds cut sides up on a baking sheet.
Drizzle them with the oil and spread them evenly with the goat cheese. Scatter the onion slices on top.
Bake on oven's upper rack for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Lay a thin layer of salmon over each pizza, and sprinkle with basil, fennel and pepper to taste. Cut each pizza into wedges and serve at room temperature.
Makes 32 wedges

Source: ACME Smoked Fish Corp.

Orange Candied Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Ingredients:

6 large sweet potatoes
12 oz. orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 boxes dark brown sugar
1 stick margarine
1 C. white sugar
1/2 C. water
Instructions:

Parboil potatoes. Peel and quarter potatoes and set them aside.
Make syrup by mixing remaining ingredients together. Bring syrup to boil, check seasonings -- may need salt.
Add potatoes to syrup and cook until potatoes are tender. May be frozen.

Source: Paula Miller Jacobson

Carrot and Sweet Potato Tzimmes
Ingredients:

1 bunch carrots, scraped and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup pitted prunes
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup parve margarine
Instructions:

Cook carrots and sweet potatoes in boiling salted water to cover until tender but still firm.
Line a shallow 2-quart casserole with heavy duty foil.
Drain carrots and sweet potatoes and place in casserole with prunes. Stir gently.
Mix orange juice, honey, salt and cinnamon.
Pour evenly over casserole. Dot top with margarine.
Bake, covered with foil, in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
Stir gently and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.

Whole-Wheat Carrot Cake
I have a great whole-wheat carrot cake that I make in the microwave and it's very easy. I use grated raw carrots--can be thickly grated.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup oil
less than 1 cup sugar (brown or white or mixed)
2 eggs
vanilla, cinnamon, whatever you like, both (don't you love these recipes?)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 packet baking powder
(the recipe calls for baking soda and salt but I don't bother with them)
about a cup or more of raw carrots
Instructions:

Mix ingredients
Put it into a microwave-safe pyrex, preferably round, and in about 7 minutes it's ready! You might need a little more baking time than 7 minutes but check it after 7 minutes.
You can add raisins or chopped nuts before baking and it's delicious.

Marcie

Last edited by LADY WINDSONG; 09-26-2003 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:01 AM   #8  

Marcie, you're sweet.

Robin, tell your Mother you've decided to convert to Buddhism.

Good luck, sweetie. Let us know how it goes...
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 AM   #9  

Marcie, thanks so much for all that yummy info.! I don't know how to convert recipies very well. Maybe we should include these and some of the conversion info. in our recipie section??? I think i'm gaining weight reading about it!!!

Bringing dishes! Great idea! I'm in charge of the chicken soup, so everyone will be having low-carb soup (more heavy on the green veggies instead of so many carrots and onions and parsnips and turnips...) Then I'll make extra small matzah balls and only have one (three biter)...? Sound ok? I'll try to have the chicken from the soup instead of the brisket. Are Buck Wheat Groats on the plan? I think they are whole grain.

Ellis, Buddhism is a great idea! I don't think they know about "food comas"!!
I really like the whole yin-yang thing...life in balance, harmony...
hmmmmm

Lavender and Snoozin', thank you also for your support and ideas!!! Just not feeling so brave! Too many "sabotuers" as Sarge Franny puts it!

You are all so kind! Knowing you are out there and in here (my heart) will make this so much easier! I'm sorry this sounds so melodramatic!!! It's only food!!! Too much passion about it! I should be eating to live not living to eat! So much easier to type then to actually do!

Thanks for being the best support I could ever imagine!!! Your care and warmth and enthusiasm.... wouldn't it be a kind and more peaceful world!!?? I sound so mushy, but that's really how I feel!

Well, I'm not a very religious person, but you gals on the beach will be in my thoughts and prayers as will Harry and Marcie's Mom.!

Robin
Old 09-26-2003, 10:59 AM   #10  

What do you mean, you're not religious!?!? Aren't you Jewish, Robin!? You're practically sitting in God's back pocket!!

Buckwheat actually isn't a grain, although it's often classified as one. I just found this, Robin:

Diet Nutrition & Buckwheat:
Buckwheat is a gluten-free grain that contains no wheat.

Buckwheat is a slow-releasing carbohydrate containing selenium and zinc. Buckwheat flour can be used to make flatbreads and pancakes.

Buckwheat pasta and noodles are a good alternative for wheat intolerant or gluten intolerant people. Buckwheat pasta is darker in colour than wheat pasta. It is used by the Japanese to make Soba noodles.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #11  

Ellis, the kasha (buck wheat groats) info is great, but I don't understand if that means it's ok to have on SBD??? Sorry, for an intelligent person I'm not processing the information very well!

As far as not being very religious...I mean that I am not very observant. I am a Reformed Jew and I care more about the traditions and family-togetherness and caring for others (of all or no faiths) than just being Jewish. I attend services about 1x month but also join my non-jewish girlfriends in a bible-study group at an evangelist lutheran chuch. I LOVE comparative religion but often think I'm too scientific for the whole G-D question. I love how religions bind people together and provide for support in times of need or celebration, but also despise that religion can be an excuse for violence and hatred and pulls people apart too! I love the philosophy of different religions and and learning about how they come to exist or how they seem to die out.

I'm a strong believer in the Golden Rule but kinda reversed...

Don't do unto others as you wouldn't want them to do unto you

Once your gonna limit what others can think of by what you can think of doing... ya maight as well limit the bad stuff and keep the positive and good stuff open to fresh new ideas!

Does that make sense?

Wow! where'd that all come from???? I didn't even know it was there??? I hope you haven't lost respect for me! do you still love me ??? (sniff, sniff)
Old 09-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #12  

Makes total sense to me, Robin. Yes, we still love you.
I'm a Christian, but I'm fascinated by other religions. (I've got a buddha in my bathroom. ) I confess, I have my own set of "rules"... they sound similar to yours.
I stopped reading the bible years ago... it's an outdated book written by men FOR men! (sorry if I've offended anyone) My husband reads it in bed.
The first time my Mom saw my future DH, she was SO excited because she thought he was Jewish. (he's actually a RC) I think she's always had a desire to be Jewish, or at least to have one in the family.

Ummm, as to the buckwheat question... I have no idea. I was hoping that YOU could figure it out. It does sound BETTER than wheat flour.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:14 PM   #13  

First of all, I'd get the Buddah out of your bathroom -- unless, of course, he asked first if he could use it!!!

If ya need someone Jewish in the family, you could adopt me anytime! I love to be needed!!! (And kneaded too)

When we make the Buck Wheat Groats, we just toast them in the pot and then add chicken or beef and onion broth and cook until fluffy and dry. It's kinda like serving rice. The "grains" are about quarter -to- half the size of a pea. I'm getting hungry thinking about it!

About the Book for men, about men and all that... this year we have a gender neutral prayer book for the holidays. It should be interesting! Also, you might like the book I'm reading call The DaVinci Code. I'm only about 100 pages into it, but it talks about the equal and balanced role of women in ancient religions, and how certain sects of the Catholic church have tried to change that and make women subservient (sp?)...

It makes a lot of sense but I dont know how accurate the book is because it is written as entertainment... so far it is excellent!

One of my girlfriend's DH is a Promise-keeper. She left her high-paying executive job and most of her friends to meet his expectations of an appropriate wife... pretty bizarre to me for the 21st century!

Does anyone ever use the chat room?

hugs,
Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #14  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Robin-ANYTHING whole grain is better than processed grains and flours. I would think the buck wheat groats would be allowed on phase 2 of SBD, although i am not POSITIVE. I'd say have some and skip the challah (sorry!!)
Old 09-27-2003, 08:47 AM   #15  

ooooooh... Challah... I make it at Easter. It is SO good. And thanks to Leo Rosten, I even know how to pronounce it.
Closed Thread