Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 09:27 AM   #1  
Jo
Catatonic

Thumbs up Getting so frustrated!!

I gained this week (2 pounds ). My dietician says I'm doing fine, but it sure doesn't feel like it. If I'm doing fine, why am I not losing? My grand total loss for the month of September -- 1 freaking pound I see posts from people who get upset if they don't lose a pound a day -- WTH am I doing wrong that I'm only losing a pound a month? Sorry, just feeling the need to vent. I'm sure I'll get over it (eventually )
Old 09-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #2  

Jo,

Hugs! I think it took me three weeks to lose the last two pounds. In August, I think I only lost one or two pounds for the month. I know just how you feel. I don't understand how some people lose so quickly. I can't starve myself, and I can't workout hours a day, either. Just be patient, keep doing what you're doing...or maybe change your diet a bit (ask nutritionist for help) You're strength training-maybe it's muscle gain?

It's not good to lose weight so quickly. If you lose really fast, you are NOT losing all fat-you are also losing lean muscle tissue. If you eat too few calories, your body adjusts to it, and you mess up your metabolism. Plus, you would have a really hard time maintaining.

So please keep trying..

Hugs,
Sherry
Old 09-25-2003, 11:40 AM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

Jo,

I know exactly what you mean! I see you've lost over 100 lbs. - now think back to when you started, did you lose between 2-5 lbs a week at the beginning? I know I did! The first 99 lbs or so came off on a nice and regular basis and I was so sure it would continue like that until I reached goal - then that dreaded plateau hit - arggghhhhh! It lasted from May until middle August of this year. I stayed on plan, I exercised, I drank water, yet my weight didn't vary more than 1/2 pound during that entire period! It was so frustrating because I couldn't understand why my body wasn't co-operating. I wasn't gaining, but I wasn't losing either- I almost gave up 30 lbs before goal. Not gave up in terms of going back to the old bad habits, but in terms of thinking maybe this was the weight I'd have to maintain at because I wasn't going to lose any more. So I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually I lost 1/2 lb. (which was cause for great celebration) and so it's been since- I either stay the same or lose .2 .6 or something else under a pound. I've had to accept that it'll take much longer to get to goal than I'd planned, but I'm on the right road and though I might be crawling to the finish line, I'll get there one way or the other!

Hang in there Jo - vent your frustration in exercise and by letting us know how you're coping. You're in a battle with your own body right now, its testing you, and once it sees you're not giving up, it'll have to! Sort of a mind over matter thing, I guess. GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #4  

Jo,

I know exactly how you feel. Since October I have lost 47 lbs. Since April, I have only lost 10 lbs total!! That's 6 months to just lose 10 lbs. It drives me crazy everytime the scale shows the same number, but I still have to remind myself that it could just as easily show a HIGHER number. That's the only thing that keeps me on track. I still want to lost at least 30 lbs and at this rate, sometimes I feel like I'll NEVER get there. I walk at least 3 miles a day 6 or 7 days a week. I try to eat healthy and watch portions, but I dont want to try any "fad" diets or pills or anything like that.

Dont give up now....100 lbs is a HUGE accomplishment and I know eventually you'll reach your goal. Good luck!

Miki
Old 09-25-2003, 10:25 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

Well, believe me, I know -- I've been at 260 for 4 weeks -- I've tried everything from under 1000 calories to about 1800, and nothing makes any difference,

Oh, well, as has been said, I'm not going up, and I'm now trying more exercise.

Who knows, maybe I'll lose inches!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:57 PM   #6  
missaprylj

I feel the same way all the time. But you know what they say? The slower and more consistently you lose weight, the more likely it is to stay off for good.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I've also read articles that suggest that the body uses plateaus to "get used" to a certain set point. Then it's ready to give up the fat again. That doesn't mean nothing's going on during that time. Your body may be taking some time to rearrange itself -- to put the remaining fat and muscle where it can best use it, and get rid of some of the water released when fat and muscle have been used up. There aren't wholesale changes, of course -- very subtle, and nothing we'd really notice day to day.

You may want to read The Hitchhikers Guide to Weight Plateaus here on Dotti's.
http://pub121.************/fdottiswei...opicID=2.topic
It has a lot of good information, including the bit about the body resting before giving up more fat.

Personally, I try to see a plateau as a time to shake up my plan, especially my exercise. Have I been doing elliptical and walking and tae-bo all the time and not much else? Time to add some weight training. Or increase the weights I'm using. (Note: Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does, so the more muscle you have the more calories you burn each day.) Or try jumping rope or riding a bike or a rowing machine to use different muscles in different ways. The body needs to be challenged to grow. (That's the whole principle behind resistance training, in fact.) Time for me to drag my husband out dancing. Or take a belly-dancing or rock-climbing class. Something new to get me excited again and challenge my body to do stuff differently. That often kick-starts it for me.

In any case, don't give up. Those stubborn pounds WILL come off. Just KOKO, and let us give you our support. We understand. We've been there. And we know you'll succeed!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:44 AM   #8  
Jo
Catatonic

Thanks, everybody! I'm feeling a little better today. I will keep trying -- giving up is not an option! I just get discouraged sometimes that I still have so far to go (another 75 pounds) and the weight loss is slowing down so much. When I started, I knew this would be a life-time change, so it's not like there's any hurry. I just have this thing about the fact that people who are just now meeting me see me as "fat" and don't know how hard I've worked just to get to this point (I know, I'm weird ). Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #9  
2006 - Panda Remix

Aaah Jo, I feel for you! I'm in a similar position - I have lost 10lb and have another 100lb to go. I can sort of understand a plateau if you are really close to your target weight, but it seems odd when you've still got lots to lose.

Read that forum link on plateau's that Synger posted - I've just taken a look at it and it makes a lot of sense.

Well done for not giving up - you will get there and so will I!

Amanda xxx
Closed Thread