Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 02:21 PM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Default No wonder young girls have body issue problems!

This makes me sick!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...l&e=2&ncid=707
Old 09-24-2003, 02:29 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh good grief!!!! she looks GHASTLY!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:31 PM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

Geez...somebody throw her a sandwich!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:40 PM   #4  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I don't find that attractive at all. Actually...it is scary.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #5  

Well, personally for me that would be a nightmare to look like. I'd rather be 'chubby' (which I'm working on getting to) and have some kind of figure than to be skin and bones.

She's frightening looking!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

That is pretty bad.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

I'd like to know who determines that this is an attractive look? The designers? The modelling agencies? The boutique owners? I can't even tell if it's a nice bathing suit because I can't get past the stomach turning presentation! I can understand models having to be tall, thin and long-limbed because clothes tend to hang well on those body types, but a bathing suit is supposed to show what IS there, not what isn't.

Actually, I feel sorry for this girl and her kind - they may be making $1,000s a day, but at what cost to their health and self-image? Probably all chain smoking bulimics. It's sad, it truly is....
Old 09-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

That is ghastly. /shudder You could sink a putt into those thigh sockets.

I went through some of the other pictures, though, and some of them aren't too bad. I like these much better as examples of slender, healthy women (but then, I think Naomi Campbell is lovely).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...html&e=8&ncid=
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tml&e=19&ncid=
And this one just made me want to gag. Who'd WEAR this stuff???

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tml&e=14&ncid=
Old 09-24-2003, 03:17 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

That picture made my stomach heave. It is terrible to see a young woman looking like that.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:47 PM   #10  
2006 - Panda Remix

I agree - It makes me sick! It's not just men who encourage such a look either - alot of people in the modelling industry are women .

All the men I know prefer a woman with curves - look at Kate Winslett in Titanic - she looked absolutely beatiful. Mind you I hear she's lost alot of weight now!

It is scary - we are big and ugly enough to make our own informed choices - but young girls are so easily influenced - it's a fact that anorexia among chidren is on the rise and I just cannot believe that role models like this are not the cause of it.

Amanda xx
Old 09-24-2003, 06:11 PM   #11  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default wrong wrong wrong

there is slim then there is that she looks ill thats not healthy no way can someone on a normal healthy lifestyle look that way. she looks awful from a guys point of you i wouldn't wanna go near her. how would you ask her out can't exactly suggest dinner!!!!! i like a girl with a bum you can park a bike in and rest a pint on
Old 09-24-2003, 06:16 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Please do keep in mind that models are not supposed to detract from the clothes. Designers prefer waive-thin models because they are like living "hangers". Early in the last century, models were shaped more along the lines of real women's sizes, and designers and marketers slowly pushed them thinner and thinner.

Personally, I don't think it was until the advent of the "supermodel" that girls began thinking of models as good role models. Usually they're not even named in the fashion shoots unless they're a "supermodel." I think pop stars and movie and TV actresses have much more influence on young girls. But then, maybe I haven't looked at a teen magazine in a while, either.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:35 PM   #13  
missaprylj

Well.... here IS the teen's point of view:

You're right Synger. Most girls don't look up to models, they look at singers and actresses. Unfortunately, 99% of singers and actresses are underweight themselves. And, when an actress "blows up" to a size 6 to play an "average woman" in a movie, the press SLAMS her for being a pig. It makes me absolutely SICK.

I will tell you though, that something has to change here. 85% of girls (this is based on my own research) think that you must be skinny to be beautiful and 99% of girls think that THEY are fat. Also, probably 90% of girls would tell you they would shave their heads before they gained 20 lbs. It's disgusting, but it's the sad, sad, sad truth in the high school world. And, lastly, a guy would date a 105 lb. bimbo moron before dating a 180 lb lovely, polite, intelligent future leader of America. But, hey, we all knew that, right? Maybe next year when I take sociology, I'll do a study on all of this.
So I babbled, but this is a subject I feel very passionate on.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally posted by aprylcadabra
And, lastly, a guy would date a 105 lb. bimbo moron before dating a 180 lb lovely, polite, intelligent future leader of America. But, hey, we all knew that, right? Maybe next year when I take sociology, I'll do a study on all of this.
So I babbled, but this is a subject I feel very passionate on.
You didn't babble, this is the truth! Thankfully, a good percentage of guys grow out of it, but some don't. Those are the ones who aren't worth the gum on the bottom of your shoe.

The sociology project sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:56 AM   #15  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

yeah, Apryl, when I was in high school, I hardly dated. However, in college, the men came pouring in. So, don't get discouraged.

I'm actually glad now that a boyfriend didn't distract me from other important things in high school: like causing havock and mayhem with the school's administration, like being incredibly outspoken on my political beliefs, like writing for the school newspaper. Man, I am SO glad I didn't have a boyfriend.
Closed Thread