Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - new favourite veggie

View Full Version : new favourite veggie

bandit2
09-23-2003, 04:33 PM
Spaghetti squash - I heard so much about this but had never tried it until last night. It was so good - I even brought the leftovers for my afternoon snack today.

Skinny4baby
09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
I love spaghetti!...So please give us the recipe! Sounds yummy!

bandit2
09-24-2003, 10:12 AM
I cut the squash lengthwise, covered it with saran wrap & nuked until tender. Then take a fork a run it along the squash - comes out like spaghetti strands. I used this instead of noodles & added my regular spaghetti sauce & it was good. I brought the rest of it for snack for next day - just plain. It doesn't need anything on it at all & is 0 Pts per cup.

bicker
09-24-2003, 07:19 PM
I have a few Spaghetti Squash recipes we make quite often. One involves mixing the cooked squash with cinnamon, artificial sweetener and Molly McButter. The other is a Mushroom Ragout that we pour on top of the cooked squash.

Suzanne 3FC
09-24-2003, 09:54 PM
I love spaghetti squash! Thanks for the tip, Bicker, I have never thought about trying it sweet! But it does have a delicious, almost buttery flavor that would work well that way. I'll try it tomorrow!

wedded
10-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi- this may be a stupid question, but I'm looking
for new veggies- Is the squash actually a type
called spaghetti squash- or is it regular acorn or
zuchinni nuked and noodled with fork as described.
Where can you get it?

bicker
10-26-2003, 07:09 AM
Spaghetti Squash is indeed a specific type of squash. I believe it is the least caloric of the winter squash varieties. It's big and yellow and shaped something like a rugby ball.

Suzanne 3FC
10-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Here is an image of a spaghetti squash. When you cut it open, there will be a seedy center which should be scooped out. The remaining flesh will appear solid, but when it is cooked you can use a fork and it comes out in shreds.

conway_1979
10-31-2003, 11:57 AM
This actually looks great! I think I will go get one this weekend! I need to avoid the candy tonight. LOL. I will have one or two pieces, to avoid the temptations after the kids stop coming, and then I will set the bowl outside for someone to grab!!! Get it out of my house!!! LOL. Really though, I don't think a few pieces will hurt, after all it IS halloween. I need some healthy dinners this weekend, so I will try to make this! Thanks so much.

choosewell
10-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Suzanne, thanks for the images and the specific instructions! I love trying new foods, and this took the mystery out of the process.

choosewell.

Cheree
11-02-2003, 01:33 PM
I know it depends on how large the spaghetti squash is, but about how long in the microwave does it take to cook?

Thanks!

Elasky
01-17-2004, 09:24 PM
i just tried that this week, and i loved it. i'm glad to hear that it's the lowest calorie squash, i didn't know that. i ate it with my regular spaghetti sauce and chicken hot italian sausage, it was really good, and very filling. i cut it in half and then in a half again length wise and cooked it for about 15 minutes in the microwave. but i have to say it made me wicked gassy, mabey that beano stuff would help :^:

go4it
01-18-2004, 01:01 PM
I agree totally!!! I haven't had if for a long time but spagetti squash is a wonderful substitute for pasta.....on my way to the grocery store to get some now!

loralee
01-20-2004, 12:14 AM
I eat this all the time. LOVE IT. When I want pasta, I eat pasta, but usually it is spaghetti squash for me.

Elasky
01-20-2004, 12:20 PM
someone had mentioned that speghetti squash is the lowest calorie squash. does anyone know exactly how many calories it has compared to pasta?
per cup or whatever.
i've eaten it 4 times in the last week- i serve myself a heafty portion: about 1/4 of a large (say 5.5lb) squash with a large portion of speghetti sauce, some ground turkey or turkey sausage link, and a scoop of part skim ricotta cheese. it's really filling, but is this too much?
my biggest problem is portion size. :D

StarPrincess
01-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Spaghetti squash has been a lifesaver for me! I cut it in half width-wise to cook it so I get longer strands. It's awesome with spaghetti sauce, but my favorite way to eat it is what my DH affectionately calls "Oh **** yeah".

I saute a whole bunch of freshly chopped garlic with crushed red pepper in olive oil. Then I take some previously cooked "spaghetti" and toss it all together with grated parmesean. Yummy! Just don't breathe on anyone afterwards!! ;)

blugirrl1
01-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Star,
I can see why your hubby calls it that. i love all veggies, haven't had speg. squash in a while but this recipe sounds so good and easy quick, i know what i am cooking this weekend..