Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #1  

Default falling off the wagon

I have read some of the posts..I can agree with whoever said the cheating is like a deathwish. But on the other side of the coin, I sometimes feel it is necessary. I can be doing very well with sticking with the plan but the emotional eater in me comes out at times..not so much for comfort anymore but for special occassions. My boyfriend and I have been doing Atkins since Feb and he rarely takes breaks...I on the other hand have taken many..still have lost but think i could have done better if i hadnt taken those breaks or if i would exercise more but that is a different thread! If i take a break it seems like you gain 2 pounds for everyday you are off the plan....I was at 213 on Saturday and we went to dinner with some friends..now today i am 215! I didnt eat 2 pounds of food! I think with Atkins though you cannot focus completley on the scale or you will drive yourself crazy...focus on the way you feel, the ways your clothes fit. I have never got out of induction so I am so strict and then get frustrated and take breaks...I am determined to not take a break until November..but i am afaid i will think of some excuse before then...willpower!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Nicki, I feel the same way, I do need breaks every once in a while and I do take them.

I schedule my cheats I try to make sure they are a few weeks apart because I don't know how good it is to do it to the body but for some reason when my period comes, thats the week I need to take one day's break.

I have never gotten on the scale after I have cheated. I wait until the following week and usually I am down a few pounds I know whats going to happen so why torchur myself mentally.

I was telling my husband that if I cheat at one meal, like just desert, the next day I feel unsatisfied. But when I cheat all day, lunch, dinner, snacks at night, the next day I go back on the diet full force, feeling great and really strong like okay, I can do this. And I do. For the next couple of days, I keep my calories at 1200 - 1400 and woosh 2 - 3 lbs come off that following week.

And then there's this girl here at work who doesn't cheat, she's lost over 55 lbs in only a couple of month where I've lost less then half of that...oy lol.

I'm happy though, its coming off slow but thats okay, I really don't mind. I look forward to my cheat days and I control myself during the rest of the time.

Everyone is different, this seems to work for me

BTW, I can sit and eat a 2 lb bag of pnut m&m's in one sitting w/no problem. LOL

Hugs
Old 09-22-2003, 06:23 PM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Nicki - I too agree. I have been on induction since July and on 9/12 (my anniversary) I had a planned "Detour" from the program for our dessert. I chose Cheesecake because I love chocolate and that would have really killed my willpower...and because I thought it would do the least harm of all the dessert choices. BUT - 3 days later and I was up 5 lbs. It took me 2 weeks to drop that 5 lbs. and yet the cheesecake slice itself was the ONLY off program thing I have ever had. It just doesn't seem fair... BUT there are MANY other worse problems that people deal with that I don't have to. I try to think of it that way when I am feeling discouraged. There is always someone worse off that you can think of and count your blessings.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:49 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I think LIFE happens, and while I don't plan to take breaks or go off the program totally, there are times when a few extra nibbles and carbs enter my mouth.

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago, and while I was careful at the buffet, and stayed within the "legal" foods, I did eat a sliver of wedding cake and had extra coffee, hence extra cream!

I think I was up a pound or two, but I too agree it was not from food, just the body "complaining" a bit. It did come off, and I did not fret too much about it.

My dh and I do eat out alot and again, while I do choose Atkins friendly foods, I tend to eat a bit more veggies, and salads and dressing, and cream in my decaf....it all adds up, but I know in the long run, I am seeing a downward trend, and that is what it most important.

Remember this is a way of life, so you have to be able to live with it!

Froufy
Old 09-22-2003, 09:34 PM   #5  

I think I have had only one, very conscious, cheat. I only eat sweet corn once a year. When the sweet corn festival came around I enjoyed that ear of corn like it was ambrosia! I was in control and I didn't feel guilty. I plan to do the same thing next year. I think it's better to plan a cheat and have control of it, than to feel deprived and let the cheat take control of you. I think my food journal really helps me, too.

Karla
Old 09-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Someone mentioned not being addicted to the scale. While I freely admit that I am! I also am addicted to my tape measure. ALthough I measured only 1 a month ( and I am due again on Monday) it is a great tool for me. In my first month I lost 9.5 inches all over my body!! I cant wait for monday to see how I am doing!

I am almost 8 weeks on Plan and never had a concious cheat. only the one time when I had a low carb beer and didnt realize I couldnt on induction. I dont know what it is, maybe it is just I love Bacon, sausage and Eggs, but if I am ever stressed, I go for one of those or some pork rinds now. But I think Exercise helps with the stress too...
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

IT SEEMS THAT WHEN I CHEAT, I PAY THE NEXT DAY WITH FOOD CRAVINGS. I THINK IT MESSES SO MUCH WITH MY BLOOD SUGAR.
DO YOU EXPERIENCE THIS TOO?
THAT DOES SEEM TO KEEP ME FROM CHEATING AT TIMES THOUGH.

DINKI
Old 09-29-2003, 04:12 AM   #8  

The problem with going off like this is that you have to go through the 'transition' again--can be unpleasant. In Dr Atkins first book, he had some recipes- one in particular for cheese cake- it was really good and if this would be your treat, it wouldn't throw you off.
Closed Thread